Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Real dumb question but it's been impossible to Google. Looking at the official tutorials and in this example
code:
    override def equals(that: Any): Boolean =
      that.isInstanceOf[Date] && {
        val o = that.asInstanceOf[Date]
        o.day == day && o.month == month && o.year == year
      }
why are isInstanceOf and asInstanceOf called with square brackets instead of parentheses?

e: oh are those methods generics that actually take no arguments?

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I think the intentions of this are pretty clear; a case class (more just to convey the intention of immutability and for the free equals and hashCode than for pattern matching) that is only constructed from the companion's parameterless factories.
code:
case class Foo private(arg: Seq[Bar]) {/* stuff */}

object Foo {
  apply(): Foo = new Foo(someDefaultArgument)
  otherFactory(): Foo = new Foo(differentArgument)
}
When I defined apply without the parentheses and tested it in the REPL, val f = Foo() threw an error because it couldn't resolve the ambiguity between the helper's apply method and the class's constructor. This doesn't make any sense to me, since a) if I don't supply an argument, isn't it obvious that I'm calling the one that doesn't take an argument? and b) that constructor is supposed to be private anyway.

So my questions are 1) why? 2) is that how you implement what I'm trying to do? and 3) I guess whatever the convention is on factory methods that take no arguments and otherwise have no side effects, would you define and call otherFactory with parentheses just to match the apply version? I know it doesn't make a difference but it would bug me.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Didn't have any default arguments and I don't even know what the _* operator does. When I compile:
code:
case class Foo private(arg: Seq[Int]) {}

object Foo {
  def apply: Foo = new Foo(Seq())
  def otherFactory: Foo = new Foo(Seq(0))
}
and then try it at the SBT console I get:
code:
scala> val f = Foo()
<console>:10: error: overloaded method value apply with alternatives:
  (arg: Seq[Int])Foo <and>
  => Foo
 cannot be applied to ()
       val f = Foo()
and when I add parentheses to def apply(): Foo = new Foo(Seq()) it works as expected. I get that it synthesizes a companion that doesn't require new but is it also synthesizing a factory with no arguments for this class? No big deal cause as you suggested there's a perfectly appropriate name for the default factory rather than apply but that behavior seemed weird to me.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sedro posted:

Foo() is short for Foo.apply(), but there's no function with that signature. There's a Foo.apply and a Foo.apply(Seq[Int]).
OK, thanks. Got confused by how you can omit the parentheses sometimes.

• Locked thread