Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nite time dinosaur
Sep 12, 2011

this is what you get when you mess with us
There's 3 languages I use at work (primarily anyway): Java, JavaScript, and Scala. Scala is probably my favorite. The worst case scenario with Scala code, in my experience, coming from a more imperative Java background, is that I am essentially writing succinct Java programs with more immutable references, as typing "val foo" is much easier than typing "final Foo foo." The best case scenario is, a more functional style is adopted and code is easier to reason about and there is usually less chance of a weird bug and overall debugging time is less - assuming you or whoever else is proficient at reading the syntax and has some experience with and is anticipating referentially transparent (read: no side effects) methods. I will admit that the first time you see a nested map/for-comprehension with a pattern match wrapped in a Future, it's a little :wtf: but eventually you get used to it and find that a lot of problems are much easier to solve when you think of them in terms of streams.

I started learning Scala via the Coursera FP w/ Scala course, last spring. It will kick your rear end if you haven't done much FP, but you will learn a lot of useful poo poo if you manage to complete it. Some of the assignments I must've spent 11 hours to ultimately write like 5 lines of code, a humbling experience. I came to see if there was a Scala thread here as I just started reading Functional Programming in Scala and doing the exercises as I'd like to internalize some of the stuff I encountered in the Coursera class but didn't really retain.

nite time dinosaur fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread