Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Put me down as a Broncos fan, although not one as optimistic as the OP that Bennett will turn them around quickly enough to do well this season.

I also love that even in NSW Manly and Easts are more hated than a team from queensland owned by rupert murdoch and a bunch of cheats from melbourne who were expertly taught how to achieve Maximum Grub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Dirty Frank posted:

the Vichy government outlawed league and striped it of its assets giving them to union, nice article on that here.

That's pretty awesome, not that league was crushed in favour of union but rather it was literally because of Hitler.

It's also cool that the Dragons signed Willie Tonga who I figured would be roughly a hundred years old by now but who wikipedia insists is 31, so it'll be good for Carney to have another Willie to play with I guess.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

So the NRL all-stars and indigenous allstars teams have been announced, and I'm assuming the Storm Spine are all out injured or recovering or whatever, but Mitchell Pearce? Beau Scott captain? Hand-picked by Wayne Bennett?

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I'd actually be completely okay with the Canterbury Bulldogs spending most of their time on the other side of the world, though

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Ewar Woowar posted:

Who is regarded as the best league player ever? Andrew Johns is the best I've seen.

It'll probably be wally lewis

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I had to sit through James Blunt before a state of origin game once I will take Jessica Mauboy anytime

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

gently caress me do they really need to show the interviews while actual sets are being played? gently caress you channel 9

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

1. Broncos
2. Manly
3. Roosters
4. Cowboys
5. Sowfs
6. Sharks
7. Warriors
8. Storm
9. Canterbury Berries
10. Panthers
11. Dragons
12. Knights
13. Tigers
14. Titans
15. Raiders
16. Eels

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

A resurgent south queensland crushers enter the competition mid-season captained by trevor gilmeister and go on to take the premiership

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Ashton Sims still making dumb knock ons on the other side of the planet

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

The crowd is pretty amazing, you don't hear crowds like that in Australia outside of Lang Park on origin night

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Brisbane regularly lose in the UK even when they've boasted some of the strongest lineups in the NRL. I don't see the Broncos winning either but it'll still be good to see Bennett's largely new vision of the team.

Shame they aren't playing Eden at fullback and letting him show off a little in England

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Shame about the wet, the errors are getting pretty ridiculous

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

wigan coach mouthing FOOGIN ELL angrily lmao

e: milford having a great game thanks raiders

Thinking fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 21, 2015

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

is punching people on the ground something they train wigan players for

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Oh man that try

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I didn't think it was possible but Super League commentary might actually be worse than NRL, although admittedly I always mute ray hadley

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

bowmore posted:

Broncos are supposed to be the next club in the cocaine crisis, we just don't know if it's current or former players or both

The NRL mole said the drama would be heading south, though that could either mean he was completely wrong or has a fundamentally incorrect understanding of Australian geography.

Darren Lockyer's name gets thrown around a lot re: recreational drugs, in my experience, and I guess he'd be one of the two big QLD origin names they're talking about, in addition to (complete guess) Alan Langer.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Mills posted:

Thaiday Hodges Lockyer

This prediction is racist towards both indigenous Australians and towards whatever alien species Darren Lockyer and Ian Macfarlane belong to

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Auspol sure has conditioned you to be v. defensive :(

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

If the Broncos get anything but mercilessly pummelled tomorrow night I will be surprised + impressed + optimistic

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Brad Fittler falling to his death live on TV would probably be the second best thing that could happen tonight

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

Guy loving Sebastien?

I've seen James Blunt at Lang Park before an origin game, Guy Sebastian is a step up

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Airstream Driver posted:

I was joking but I expected they would play a lot better than that.

I was expecting an even more thorough dismantling last night :shrug:

Gavet and Whitchurch obviously had shockers but I thought McGuire, Gillett and Dodds were all great. Milford was conspicuously absent in attack which is a shame, but both halves were active in defense and Milford looked at least a little bit dangerous sometimes running and passing if not kicking. Kahu did reasonably well enough against probably the best kicker in the league as well I guess.

It was pretty obvious they were gonna get outplayed by the bunnies last night, but with the amount of possession they had and the number of errors they conceded I think the score could have been a lot worse.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I missed the game but I hear Jeynolds distinguished himself as an unalienable fuckwit yet again

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

iajanus posted:

Same thing with the titans. At least get a charity on board or something like the dogs did back in the day.

Narcotics Anonymous?

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Something to add to Gallen's long list of extracurricular achievements alongside Boxing, Taking Drugs and Lamenting The Preponderance Of Managerial Cunts

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Dodds injured and still no sign of Vidot who I guess Bennett really hates. I reckon they'll beat the Sharks but I don't have strong feelings either way.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

bowmore posted:

mate nothing to be proud of in that game

They played alright, good defence but poor attack considering the amount of possession they had. Way fewer errors than last week. Basically it's only up from here.

:suicide:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Storm might have to start cheating again I think

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

"The video referee, Shayne Hayne"

Kevin John Hayne cannot be escaped :suicide:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

It went backwards, and I know this, because Kevin John "Shayne" Hayne knows this

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Thought the cowboys might have defended that somehow but it was a great try in the end

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Legal documents filed for wrongful dismissal, defendant: Cronulla Sharks Rugby League Club, plaintiff: Mouthpisser. Claim: wrongful dismissal for public peedrinkry

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Speaking of extreme acts involving sexual organs, I am very excited about the prospect of the bunnies mouthfucking the roosters this afternoon

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Mills posted:

Don't want to jinx us but god drat souths look good, two stellar tries

lol

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Absolute Zero posted:

American guy here moving to central Queensland in the next month or two. I'm a huge nfl fan and looking to get into rugby league so I have something local to follow when I get to Australia. Where's the best places to follow the league online? Should I just follow Brisbane Broncos or do you guys have other recommendations?

They stream everything on livestream internationally: http://new.livestream.com/nrl so you can watch a bunch of games before you move here if you like, although probably at some unbearable early hour.

I don't know enough about NFL to make helpful comparisons but both the Cowboys and the Broncos are well-established teams and you'll meet plenty of fans of both all across Queensland. You'll also find plenty of supporters of the southern clubs across Queensland as well I guess, the only real time the Queensland/NSW divide is clear is during the state of origin series (basically the best rugby league gets for an Australian).

Following the Broncos is convenient though since they have a lot of Friday night games

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Ray Hadley, Wally Lewis and Brad Fittler commentating the broncos vs cowboys :suicide:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

bowmore posted:

can someone tell me what the gently caress is going on in the broncs/cows game?

Milfords come good + lazy cowboys defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Ben Hannant still playing for the Broncos apparently

• Locked thread