Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
This sounds viable and not completely absurd at all.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jan/26/salford-red-devils-marwan-koukash-english-team-nrl

quote:

Salford owner Marwan Koukash wants ‘British Bulldogs’ to play in NRL

The Salford Red Devils’ owner, Marwan Koukash, said a bold plan to base an English team in the NRL is financially viable.

Koukash wants the “British Bulldogs” to compete in an expanded NRL from 2018, playing home games around England and at a halfway house in Dubai.

Koukash, who has put between £3m and £4m of his own money into Salford since saving them from financial ruin two years ago, is prepared to bankroll the plan and has sponsors already lined up.

Koukash tried to buy an Australian club in 2014 but has made little progress and said: “This is a better way of me getting into the NRL. It boils down to whether the NRL want to expand but, if they do, I can’t see why an English team cannot participate.

“The distances involved would be greater but the world is a much smaller place nowadays. It would work, it is financially viable. I have got a major airline willing to back it and I have a hotel group also willing to provide sponsorship – and we haven’t started to market it yet. It is three years in the planning.”

Koukash says one of the motivations behind his plan is to counter the threat from rugby union following Sam Burgess’s code switch to Bath.

“People are worried about losing players to the NRL but the biggest danger to rugby league in this country is rugby union,” he said. “The rugby union are aggressively marketing their product in our heartland, so why can’t we take our game to their place?

“We would have the best rugby league players in the world playing in Gloucester, London and Manchester and I would also like to play one of the games in Dubai. I have already held initial talks about that.”

Koukash, who said the British Bulldogs concept would not have an impact on his involvement with Salford, has run the idea past the NRL, who are toying with the idea of increasing their number of clubs from 16 when their television deal expires at the end of 2017.

Additional teams in New Zealand and Queensland are among the likely bidders for a place in the NRL, alongside Perth and the Central Coast.

Koukash, who said the English team would operate under the NRL salary cap, is set to unveil further ambitious plans for the game when he launches Salford’s 2015 Super League season at the AJ Bell Stadium on Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

BCR posted:

Where are you getting that from Mills?

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/feb/23/elite-players-mired-in-queensland-drugs-scandal-linked-by-sole-accused-dealer

Key quotes are:

quote:

The CCC has publicly said the charges against Hunt and the Titans players related to alleged supply of cocaine “for personal use or to on-supply cocaine to friends and colleagues” between June and December last year.

Investigators will allege the amounts sought by them typically were in the realm of one ounce.

If that's true then yeah it's just personal/party use and not dealing.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Can't link because I'm on my phone, but the guardian has an exclusive about the initial supply charges against karmichael hunt and it reveals the superstar footballer he allegedly supplied to: he supplied drugs to karmichael hunt

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Someone please make a gif of the dick grab at 65:00 in the manly Newcastle game tia

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Sure to be a suspension for attacking the head of an opponent imo

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Found it! https://vine.co/v/em61wA1HKrT

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Byolante posted:

I honestly don't know how you could watch that game and come to any conclusion other than the refs were told to make nsw win. Blues had a knock on given as a try, a forward pass given as a try, a try from a set of six given for nothing called a knock on and on the other side you had the inglis try not given. In no loving world can you give the morris try in the first half then disallow the inglis try in the second. Its a loving disgrace to borrow from drogba

Are you always such a whiny loser?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Game owns so far. Gonna end in a 70-all draw at this rate

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Come on Thurston!

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Noooooooooo

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Yesssssss

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
What a loving game!

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
It's amazing that you can gently caress up something as simple as "pay people to work for you" but tigers lol.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
16 years, with a few exceptions where they hosed up loving up and accidentally did well. They've regressed back to terry lamb era idiocy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Nrl 2016 - 5 0 years since our last dog loving incident!

• Locked thread