Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

As a stakeholder in the American rail industry I strongly oppose this pipeline.

As someone who drinks water drawn from the Ogallala aquifer and eats produce irrigated with water from it I strongly oppose this pipeline as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

As a stakeholder in the American rail industry I strongly oppose this pipeline.

You'd be better off opposing the Nicaraguan Canal.

Ditto if you are an environmentalist too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FAUXTON posted:

As someone who drinks water drawn from the Ogallala aquifer and eats produce irrigated with water from it I strongly oppose this pipeline as well.

Why?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The Ants were spending a fine winter's day drying grain collected in the summertime. A Grasshopper, perishing with famine, passed by and earnestly begged for a little food. The Ants inquired of him, "Why did you not treasure up food during the summer?" He replied, "I had not leisure enough. I passed the days in oiling." They then said in derision: "If you were foolish enough to oil all the summer, you must dance supperless to bed in the winter."

oil! oil! OIL! OIL! :unsmigghh:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

So, nothing at all to do with reality. Got it. (the transport capability is already present, dude)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

(the transport capability is already present, dude)

So you admit KXXL isn't needed :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Well it'll free up trains to carry stuff like grain. Turns out oil companies will pay the most for transport so everyone else gets bumped.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

Nope. Please learn to read.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nope. Please learn to read.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/1/22/north-dakota-spill.html

Let's literally salt the loving Earth :getin:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Death Rally for oil, trains pipes airplanes and trucks, all invited to end this inhabitable world!

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Horrifying. We'll never have a pipeline that's even close to safe until we can trust corporations to put health over profit. On a related note the super safe process of fracking may have just poisoned over 100 of the aquifers in central California, 11 wells have been shut down and another 100 are under review. That should help the drought.

http://www.propublica.org/article/ca-halts-injection-fracking-waste-warning-may-be-contaminating-aquifers

http://www.desmogblog.com/2014/10/07/central-california-aquifers-contaminated-billions-gallons-fracking-wastewater

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spun Dog posted:

Horrifying. We'll never have a pipeline that's even close to safe until we can trust corporations to put health over profit. On a related note the super safe process of fracking may have just poisoned over 100 of the aquifers in central California, 11 wells have been shut down and another 100 are under review. That should help the drought.

http://www.propublica.org/article/ca-halts-injection-fracking-waste-warning-may-be-contaminating-aquifers

http://www.desmogblog.com/2014/10/07/central-california-aquifers-contaminated-billions-gallons-fracking-wastewater

Technically, its not fracing that caused the potential contamination, but waste water injection associated with fracing. Its an important distinction since we're talking about two very different kinds of wells.

And the reason those aquifers might be polluted is due to poor recordskeeping rather than technological failures:

quote:

Those are the aquifers at issue today. The exempted aquifers, according to documents the state filed with the U.S. EPA in 1981 and obtained by ProPublica, were poorly defined and ambiguously outlined. They were often identified by hand-drawn lines on a map, making it difficult to know today exactly which bodies of water were supposed to be protected, and by which aspects of the governing laws. Those exemptions and documents were signed by California Gov. Jerry Brown, who also was governor in 1981.

(from the propublica article)

So maybe we should upgrade our maps from "hand drawn," I'd be down.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Trabisnikof posted:

Technically, its not fracing that caused the potential contamination, but waste water injection associated with fracing. Its an important distinction since we're talking about two very different kinds of wells.

Right, it's the disposal phase, but that's still part of the process. It's like the nuclear waste of fracking.

Trabisnikof posted:

And the reason those aquifers might be polluted is due to poor recordskeeping rather than technological failures:

(from the propublica article)

So maybe we should upgrade our maps from "hand drawn," I'd be down.

Completely agreed.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I wonder if it'd even be possible to ship it anywhere for disposal without the public having a :siren:NAPALM TRAIN:siren: freakout.

VVVVV Bottle it, call it something classy and sell it to the elite as the new hotness.

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 23, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Spun Dog posted:

It's like the nuclear waste of fracking.
I wonder if it'd even be possible to ship it anywhere for disposal without the public having a :siren:NAPALM TRAIN:siren: freakout.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Far worse stuff is carried by trains.

This is in the NYT today. I've been to a prove up dig in the middle of a Nebraska corn field (I think it was a 30" too), I'm wondering where these people were when that pipeline was installed. Or any of the other dozens put into the state.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hobbesmaster posted:

Far worse stuff is carried by trains.

This is in the NYT today. I've been to a prove up dig in the middle of a Nebraska corn field (I think it was a 30" too), I'm wondering where these people were when that pipeline was installed. Or any of the other dozens put into the state.

Probably unable to do much outside of protest which doesn't get the same press. A good few have been around in the environmental fight for a while so they'd natch object to any new pipe, except KXL is seeking approval from a more receptive president who made it a national issue.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
You can get Keystone in XL what? Cans or kegs?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Keith Stone posted:

I approve of this post

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Keith Stone posted:

36s duh.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Republicans are for it, thus I must be against it.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
People can evolve to filter contaminants from drinking water, like they did with actual Keystone lager

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pegged Lamb posted:

People can evolve to filter contaminants from drinking water, like they did with actual Keystone lager

Wait there was stuff other than water in those keystone cans?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Wait there was stuff other than water in those keystone cans?

Tar sands. :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I know what Guinness tastes like, you can't fool me.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
iceass

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
A glorious day. Obama vetoed a thing that wouldn't really help or hurt that much either way.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Keith Stone posted:

Keystone XL sounds like a god tier malt liquor brand IMO

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"Keystone XL opposition is dumb because rail already transports all the oil so you aren't stopping it from being burned"

"We need Keystone XL because we can't transport all the oil on just rail"

apparently not mutually exclusive statements.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Stereotype posted:

"Keystone XL opposition is dumb because rail already transports all the oil so you aren't stopping it from being burned"

"We need Keystone XL because we can't transport all the oil on just rail"

apparently not mutually exclusive statements.

We had another train blow up a town, but really, that is why we need a pipeline. We are caring and compassionate people only looking out for your best interests, but our hands are tied. If we can't get a pipeline, trains and trucks are going to keep exploding. This is about safety people, we just want you to be safe.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
oh no we keep driving these trains full of explosives into your towns and then they keep exploding. we can't make them stop!! they just keep exploding and destroying homes and killing people, help!! they are unstoppable!

we need a tube of limitless explosives flowing through your town, it is the only way to stop these explosions.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I think a good enough reason to dislike the pipeline is that Republicans consistently say the reason they like it is to "create jobs, spur growth and increase America's independence from Mideast energy sources," none of which are outcomes of building the pipeline.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Real things people have argued in this thread:
We have to encourage extraction in Canada (where no one lives anyway) because otherwise we'd do it here and fracking is bad. Also trains spill oil CONSTANTLY.
We should build the pipeline now while oil prices are too low for it to be profitable because they'll DEFINITELY go up in the future.
We already have pipelines crossing vital aquifers, what harm could one more do? Also, without pipelines train derailments would "level towns."
All oil is the same and people only oppose Keystone as part of sinister plot masterminded by Mexico, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia, Tom Steyer, King Abdullah, and their various oligarchic lackies in the DNC, Fox, and NGOs to keep the US from becoming a net exporter, or something. Also bitumen (a word that literally means "tar") is exactly the same as dirt. Oh and this is also Hilary's fault somehow. (honestly Hal can be kind of hard to follow)
"Obama and Co." are corrupt, as we all know, and are probably incapable of doing things for altruistic reasons.
The opposition is all part of a coal industry plot
A pipeline spilling 50,000 gallons of crude into the Yellowstone River has NOTHING TO DO AT ALL with whether Keystone is a good idea. That other pipeline was a Pinto. Keystone is a Chevy and thus perfectly safe. Also, worrying about oil spills is the same as believing in chemtrails.
The US is going to annex Canada anyway so we want them to be rich. (this guy may have been joking, but honestly who can tell?)
My favorite though was the guy who c/p'd the bit from the "Ants and the Grasshopper" with 'singing" replaced with 'oiling" and thought it was trenchant commentary.

This thread just might have the stupidest arguments in all of DnD. There are a few genuinely smart and thoughtful people in this thread, but the poo poo you've had to put up with boggles the brain.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pohl posted:

We had another train blow up a town, but really, that is why we need a pipeline. We are caring and compassionate people only looking out for your best interests, but our hands are tied. If we can't get a pipeline, trains and trucks are going to keep exploding. This is about safety people, we just want you to be safe.

Think of the children :qq:

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Pohl posted:

Meanwhile in Canada the Harper Government tried to shut down CP workers from striking for better safety protocol and shifts that lasted less than 10 hours.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Count Canuckula posted:

Meanwhile in Canada the Harper Government tried to shut down CP workers from striking for better safety protocol and shifts that lasted less than 10 hours.
One of his ministers demanded that environmentalists apologize for their role in the Lac-Mégantic disaster

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Shell just announced due to the drop in oil prices they are shelving some of their plans for the Pierre River tar sands mine.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/feb/24/shell-shelves-plan-for-tar-sands-project-in-face-of-low-oil-prices

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Think of the children :qq:

Every time an oil car ships by rail god kills a puppy.

Keystone XL would only benefit red states, there is no reason to sign the bill, and boost the economy in states that will never vote for you.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Shell just announced due to the drop in oil prices they are shelving some of their plans for the Pierre River tar sands mine.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/feb/24/shell-shelves-plan-for-tar-sands-project-in-face-of-low-oil-prices

Foolish SHELL OBAMA ALREADY MADE GAS GO UP 19 cents! Obama is killing business.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Remember that Freedom Industries spill?

http://www.wvnstv.com/story/27579668/freedom-industries-president-facing-federal-fraud-charges

The CEO of Freedom Industries was just indicted for federal fraud charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CommieGIR posted:

Remember that Freedom Industries spill?

http://www.wvnstv.com/story/27579668/freedom-industries-president-facing-federal-fraud-charges

The CEO of Freedom Industries was just indicted for federal fraud charges.

I'm not one to cheer on prison rape but I'm really hoping this guy ends up somewhere extremely uncomfortable and dies a lingering death from untreated hepatitis and a weeping staph infection on his taint.

• Locked thread