Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm against the Keystone pipeline simply because the energy industry needs to be told that just because they want something, doesn't mean America should bend over for them.

Keystone pipeline was already built, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

420DD Butts posted:

Really, at this point I oppose Keystone XL on principle. It has become a representation of the future of US energy policy - either more of the same or a shift to expand alternative energy sources. Eventually you have to pick a hill to die on, might as well be this one.

You realize that this only requires federal approval because it's international right? Tons of pipelines are being built to transport the same stuff across the same areas that are domestic. This is an incredibly stupid fight to put up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trains are perfectly capable of getting something across a border and into another mode of transit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And this oil pipeline is different from all the ones that already cross the aquifer because...?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Pool posted:

I interviewed with a major commodity chemical manufacturer a month ago and they were bitching that the defeat of the Keystone XL is going to put ~sooo~ much strain on our rail system, and that also due to our domestic oil production boom railcars are getting expensive again. He said that although this means he has to pay more for transport to customers, the good news for NC is that a railcar manufacturer that shut down is recently is going to reopen and add back 300 jobs. If I were a democrat, that might make a nice little talking point, y'know, creating jobs by NOT building the pipeline. Oh wait democrats never pick talking points at all .

Nobody cares about trains other than fishmech. Remember how Scott Walker took a stand against high speed rail between Chicago and Minneapolis despite it meaning that a Wisconsin company that produces trains would go out of business?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

So? Its Conoco Phillips? Oh, I guess that gives them a free out, obviously they'll be MUCH more careful.

What Phillips pipeline? We're talking about Bridger's Poplar system, right? A small(ish) diameter intrastate transmission system subject only to state regulation? What does that have to do with a deep, large diameter international PHMSA regulated line?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Looks like the poplar system is interstate even if that line in intrastate so PHMSA is inspecting their procedures. They weren't happy. At all.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

So you admit KXXL isn't needed :v:

Well it'll free up trains to carry stuff like grain. Turns out oil companies will pay the most for transport so everyone else gets bumped.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I wonder if it'd even be possible to ship it anywhere for disposal without the public having a :siren:NAPALM TRAIN:siren: freakout.

Far worse stuff is carried by trains.

This is in the NYT today. I've been to a prove up dig in the middle of a Nebraska corn field (I think it was a 30" too), I'm wondering where these people were when that pipeline was installed. Or any of the other dozens put into the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Wait there was stuff other than water in those keystone cans?

Tar sands. :v:

• Locked thread