Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
doomRL is badass, even the tedious scouting for offscreen baddies with a shotgun isn't too bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

pleasing fungus I just murked snake:5 with the (+twster) on my arty plate as a fofi

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i've been playing hoplite on my phone and it is fairly epic

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
hoplite protip: never get health upgrades unless it is in service to spend on upgrades

get to floor 16 with at least three hearts

get the regen upgrade

now you can regen at least 2 health per floor (when you got the fleece), which comes in handy when you're trying to get max depth cheevos

the damage shields and bash are god-tier as well

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Skeleton King posted:

hoplite protip: never get health upgrades unless it is in service to spend on upgrades

get to floor 16 with at least three hearts

get the regen upgrade

now you can regen at least 2 health per floor (when you got the fleece), which comes in handy when you're trying to get max depth cheevos

the damage shields and bash are god-tier as well

thx for the protips. also i bought dungeonmans on steam and it's loving great

play dungeonmans

e: it has this mechanic where u have this persistent home base academy thing that you can bring items and poo poo back to and upgrade stuff, like a blacksmith, alchemist, battle trainer guy, etc that can augment future characters. it's neat as hell and i like it

Mr. Sophistication fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 13, 2015

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
tbh I wasn't a big fan of dungeonmans. I don't like permanent progression in roguelikes past unlocking new classes and stuff cause I think the progression is supposed to be you getting better at the game and its just a crutch to let anybody get further eventually without actually improving at the game.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
i like progression when its done binding of isaac style (yeah i know its a rougeLITE but w/e) where you unlock new tools or gameplay elements rather than things the just make stuff easier

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

El Wombato posted:

tbh I wasn't a big fan of dungeonmans. I don't like permanent progression in roguelikes past unlocking new classes and stuff cause I think the progression is supposed to be you getting better at the game and its just a crutch to let anybody get further eventually without actually improving at the game.

yeah it's not necessarily a very good roguelike, but i enjoy it quite a bit as just a game.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial

Skeleton King posted:

i like progression when its done binding of isaac style (yeah i know its a rougeLITE but w/e) where you unlock new tools or gameplay elements rather than things the just make stuff easier

right exactly. ToME and Ziggurat do the same kindsa things and it's good. give you easy to use tools up front and then work you into the weirder stuff

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Lawman 0 posted:

pleasing fungus I just murked snake:5 with the (+twster) on my arty plate as a fofi

pls be nice to snakes

I just got banished by erolcha (and then died a while later). thanks to new game features, I can now tell that she had only a 19% chance of successfully banishing me on the one (1) turn I let her have LOS. rip

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Playing Binding of Isaac Rebirth and holy hell that game is kicking my rear end. It's funny hearing people talk about how easy it is while I just get destroyed in 2 levels.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Dont bully me! posted:

Playing Binding of Isaac Rebirth and holy hell that game is kicking my rear end. It's funny hearing people talk about how easy it is while I just get destroyed in 2 levels.

dont worry, im currently on a -60 streak. i just cannot stay alive.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i bought crypt of the necrodancer and it is probably the most fun i've ever had playing a roguelike. it owns, quite a bit

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ikanreed posted:

Still haven't beat angband. Can't advance to new roguelikes when that one is hanging over my head.

I have three winners in Angband, a High Elf Mage, a Dwarf Priest and a Half-Troll Warrior. Could give you some tips if you're stuck. But Crawl is definitely a much harder game than Angband, I still don't have a Crawl winner yet. Got close the other day with a Gargoyle Fighter but died due to hubris on Elf:3 while looking for some more fire resist.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

sil is hard

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008

Play this one.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Been playing Crawl thanks to this thread. Got pretty far with a Draconian Berserker, then tried a Minotaur Berserker and found a +6 Artefact Spear, and some +3 chain mail with mR++. Got to "The Lair," but died to some unique monster named Erica. Couldn't escape her and she summoned a bunch of poo poo.

Is there away to dash, or get away from monsters or stop them from summoning/casting spells?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Powercrazy posted:

Been playing Crawl thanks to this thread. Got pretty far with a Draconian Berserker, then tried a Minotaur Berserker and found a +6 Artefact Spear, and some +3 chain mail with mR++. Got to "The Lair," but died to some unique monster named Erica. Couldn't escape her and she summoned a bunch of poo poo.

Is there away to dash, or get away from monsters or stop them from summoning/casting spells?

Scrolls of teleportation and blink are the premier gtfo methods. Spell casters can't cast at you if they can't see you, so a scroll of fog or just hiding behind a wall can be useful. When you see unique monsters just take a look at what they can do and run, maybe try to fight if you know you have means for escape but probably just run. Come back to kill them when you have messed up god powers and dragon armor and poo poo.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Something i don't like about crawl, is that even mundane enemies can take an excessive amount of turns to kill since high damage weapon are balance by having a negative to-hit. So even if you are wielding an end-game weapon (which I assume a god-gift would be?) you can have a problem killing something like a yak unless you are very highly leveled in both fighting and the weapon skill.

Basically I think high-level weapons should have high to-hit, so that you can kill things quickly instead of the opposite.

Dec 26, 2012

you should probably be even more leveled in fighting and the weapon skill if that's an issue

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

god gifts aren't necessarily good. in fact they're probably bad most of the time. especially gifts from okawaru. he's a jerk.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I've been following trog cause I've been only playing berserkers for now.

01011001 posted:

you should probably be even more leveled in fighting and the weapon skill if that's an issue

These are low-level enemies and i'm level 10+ wielding a +6 weapon with fighting emphasized.... Why are stupid enemies like "plants" and "fungus" and orcs not dying in a single hit even when berserk?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
pressing and holding the tab key down makes fights end faster :mrgw:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Caves of Qud is pretty good if you want to be a 4 armed axe murdering turtletaur or dualwield chainguns and get shot in the back by your trigger happy time clones.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

Something i don't like about crawl, is that even mundane enemies can take an excessive amount of turns to kill since high damage weapon are balance by having a negative to-hit. So even if you are wielding an end-game weapon (which I assume a god-gift would be?) you can have a problem killing something like a yak unless you are very highly leveled in both fighting and the weapon skill.

Basically I think high-level weapons should have high to-hit, so that you can kill things quickly instead of the opposite.

okie and trog have a habit of gifting you poo poo that you can't really use well yet.
most two handers top out in speed in the mid 20's skill.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Powercrazy posted:

I've been following trog cause I've been only playing berserkers for now.

These are low-level enemies and i'm level 10+ wielding a +6 weapon with fighting emphasized.... Why are stupid enemies like "plants" and "fungus" and orcs not dying in a single hit even when berserk?

is your weapon like a falchion or a mace or something, you should be one-shotting fungi & orcs when zerked if you have a weapon that's any good at all

(level 10 isn't high level, tho)

Dec 26, 2012

what are your fighting and weapon levels typically at when "emphasized"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm not sure but next time I play I'll make sure to check more often, but when I say "emphasized" I do the little thing where I select it in the skills menu which allocates like 20% XP to it.

Anyway, it's possible that I'm just using weapons that are too slow, I was doing polearms and axes, the +6 weapon I had was a Halberd with a Pain brand. Should I use something more traditional like Swords or Short Swords? I like Axes for their cleaving qualities, but I don't know how useful that is in practice.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

I'm not sure but next time I play I'll make sure to check more often, but when I say "emphasized" I do the little thing where I select it in the skills menu which allocates like 20% XP to it.

Anyway, it's possible that I'm just using weapons that are too slow, I was doing polearms and axes, the +6 weapon I had was a Halberd with a Pain brand. Should I use something more traditional like Swords or Short Swords? I like Axes for their cleaving qualities, but I don't know how useful that is in practice.

the pain brand is useless on most characters since its tied to the necromancy skill.
its a really really good brand but is only useful for mages generally.

Dec 26, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

switch to manual allocation, you should probably have way more funneled to fighting/weapon than 20% initially if you're going trog

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

01011001 posted:

switch to manual allocation, you should probably have way more funneled to fighting/weapon than 20% initially if you're going trog

Oh? I didn't know that was a thing. Thanks.

Dec 26, 2012

yeah press / while on the skills menu. you can turn on/off any number of skills or double up on any you want (count them as two entries when it's dividing xp between the ones you have on). weapon skill is probably more important initially because it impacts weapon speed so the better it is the less time it takes to attack

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Decided to go Maces and got gifted a +6 Great Mace of Freezing. Got back to the lair and killed an 8 headed hydra, was killed by getting confused in the slime layer and surrounded by slimes which turned into a very large slime, had no clue what to do. But definetly had some means of escaping. Pretty cool.

Bryan the Bludgeoner (Minotaur Berserker) Turns: 11397, Time: 01:32:22

HP -21/172 AC 17 Str 31 XL: 12 Next: 78%
MP 1/5 EV 9 Int 5 God: Trog [*****.]
Gold 1022 SH 0 Dex 15 Spells: 0 memorised, 11 levels left

rFire + . . SeeInvis + I - +6 great mace "Nes Rytt" {freeze, +Rage rC+ Dex+4 Int-2}
rCold + . . Clarity . W - +3 chain mail of Supple Strength {Int+3 SInv}
rNeg . . . rCorr + (no shield)
rPois . rRot . (helmet restricted)
rElec . Spirit . (no cloak)
SustAb . Warding . U - +0 pair of gloves
rMut . Stasis . (no boots)
Gourm . k - amulet of resist corrosion
MR ..... (no ring)

Got ruined by slimes

Survived against some pretty mean poo poo, definitely my best game so far.
3 hydras
2 death yaks (Lair:7)
3 griffons
An oklob plant (Lair:3)
12 elephants
5 spiny frogs
3 black mambas
A torpor snail (Lair:8)
A komodo dragon (Lair:7)
A fire drake (Lair:7)
4 slime creatures (Lair:8)
A boulder beetle (Lair:7)
2 basilisks
A spriggan (D:7)
A wyvern (Lair:3)
3 hippogriffs
A yak (Lair:8)

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 19, 2015

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The Lair branches (Swamp/Shoals, Spider Nest/Snake Pit and Slime) are all much harder than the lair itself and better left until after you've completed the Lair, the Orcish Mines and the Dungeon itself. Slime in particular is much harder, and the 6th/bottom level is home to an extremely dangerous unique called the Royal Jelly who you probably don't want to take on until you know exactly what you're doing.

e: also go axes because they are very cool and the best, although you need a backup plan for hydras

Aston fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 19, 2015

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
also use Brothers in Arms as an oh poo poo button when you're in trouble or are gonna be in trouble, who cares about piety cost when you just saved the char

e: oh and just run away from anything bigger than a 2-slime and let it split back up

El Wombato fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 19, 2015

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
DoomRL has the best difficulty curve / settings of any roguelike I've played (anybody can win consistently on the easiest difficutly level up to near-impossible at the hardest, also there is cool poo poo and special levels that only appear on a higher difficulties giving you extra incentive to play them once you've mastered babby difficulty). Also as somebody who has played way, way too much Doom I already knew what the monsters generally do so I didn't have to memorize a ton of obscure, obtuse factoids about time hounds or whatever the gently caress.

On the other hand getting good kit can be a bit of a RNG game, especially because you have to both play as a technician and burn multiple traits to get access to the upper-tier assemblies, plus you can't grind and hope for good drops or anything like that.

I liked TOME's skill system when I played but the world map system makes it super easy to wander into the wrong area and get your poo poo kicked in, though I guess if you're not getting brutally punished for doing something you couldn't have had foreknowledge not to do except from previous games then it wouldn't be a roguelike.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

VideoGames posted:

nuclear throne is pretty good fun. id understand if you are put off by early access tho.

I want to try this one but not until its fully released

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i still have a spare copy of nuclear throne. not sure how its in my inventory but it is there.

does anyone want it? just gimme ur steam addy

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I think they gave out a free copy to everyone that already had it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

SarutosZero posted:

I think they gave out a free copy to everyone that already had it

well i gave my original free copy to someone and then bought a ton for other people (was feelin all christmassy) and i guess someone didnt get it.

not sure who to pass it on to

• Locked thread