Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
nobody get ziggurat, it's fun for maybe an hour, until you beat it once and it gets stale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SarutosZero posted:

I want to try this one but not until its fully released

it and necrodancer are the two games that justify early access. don't let unfinished scare you away, it is sick as hell

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

other great early access titles: day z, h1z1, rust, and minecraft

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i've had times in nuclear throne where there's so much going on that there's no way i could reasonably react and i do, on some weird instinct

i can't play bullet hells but dodging the Throne and the spinning dog and other stuff feels natural

Dec 26, 2012

nuclear throne is really good in spite of being early access. if you somehow dont have it after the big giveaway you should probably get it

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

there was a big giveaway?

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

thats not a roguelike at all gently caress you

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

VideoGames posted:

well i gave my original free copy to someone and then bought a ton for other people (was feelin all christmassy) and i guess someone didnt get it.

not sure who to pass it on to

if you still have it, hook me up cuzzo

also i've been playing a lot of crawl lately. it's real good. are there any race/class combos that are particularly interesting? i've just been picking random combos and usually they're really bad and i die on dungeon 3

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I look forward to getting Nuclear Throne when it's done, Vlambeer is all mad professional and poo poo and deserve big dollars

but I think calling it a roguelike is a disservice

needs a better genre name, like

Turbo Death Shooter

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Black August posted:

I look forward to getting Nuclear Throne when it's done, Vlambeer is all mad professional and poo poo and deserve big dollars

but I think calling it a roguelike is a disservice

needs a better genre name, like

Turbo Death Shooter

They like calling it a procedural death labyrinth, and I can dig that.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SeXReX posted:

They like calling it a procedural death labyrinth, and I can dig that.

dang that's perfect

rediscover posted:

also i've been playing a lot of crawl lately. it's real good. are there any race/class combos that are particularly interesting? i've just been picking random combos and usually they're really bad and i die on dungeon 3

download a copy old enough to have transmuters, transmuters were super fun and cool

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Transmuters are still in so you can just play the latest version!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

rediscover posted:

whut is your steam sir? if a user called vyd (vadeogames) adds you please accept and i will lavish you with a nucealr tronhe

Dec 26, 2012

Aston posted:

transmuters without distill/evaporate are hardly worth it

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Aston posted:

That isn't a transmuter.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Schnedwob posted:

nobody get ziggurat, it's fun for maybe an hour, until you beat it once and it gets stale

the shooting is okay but the design is really bad in general

also there are jumping puzzles

first-person jumping puzzles

in a roguelike

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

the shooting is okay but the design is really bad in general

also there are jumping puzzles

first-person jumping puzzles

in a roguelike

Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated the jumping puzzles. #roguelikes likes to downplay them whenever I bring them up.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

dis astranagant posted:

Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated the jumping puzzles. #roguelikes likes to downplay them whenever I bring them up.

There's no element of challenge or risk to them, unless you're super concerned about your score from time - you just keep doing it until you succeed. You can't get hurt or lose resources or fail in any meaningful way.

The whole map is a wasted opportunity - there's no real difference between one map and the next, it's just a series of arenas with no meaningful spatial relationship between them. You can sometimes end up getting to the boss faster, or slower. That's about all the procedural map generation gives you.

The metagame progression is incredibly uninspired grindy bullshit. ("Deal 100,000 damage with weapon Y", "kill 1000 enemy X". Hooray!)

Probably I'd be a little kinder to it if I wasn't coming to it straight from Crypt of the Necromancer, but god, what a step-down!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Some of them go nuts with spike traps and things, but they're still just dumb and in the way. It just rubs in how boring the combat rooms are.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

VideoGames posted:

whut is your steam sir? if a user called vyd (vadeogames) adds you please accept and i will lavish you with a nucealr tronhe

on steam, i am "a '99 sedan" god bless you

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
I wish Ziggurat had more gimmicks like the obelisk rooms, those were a fun change of pace. Trap rooms were dumb though.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

01011001 posted:

transmuters without distill/evaporate are hardly worth it

*turns into a hyrda @ u*

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Aston posted:

*turns into a hyrda @ u*

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Fulsome_Distillation + http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Evaporate was crazy cool and the entire reason to play the class

felid transmuter was baller, evaporate + ignite poison was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Crawl and Tome are the only ones I have played but they are both cool. I think Tome is great for beginners because it has a pretty good ui and its similar to other traditional rpg type games since it uses a level-up/talent tree system which is really easy to figure out.

• Locked thread