Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ikanreed posted:

Still haven't beat angband. Can't advance to new roguelikes when that one is hanging over my head.

01011001 posted:

you can actually and should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
standard recommendations for 868-HACK and hoplite go here (turns out they're still real good)

just installed crypt of the necrodancer. wish me luck, gamers

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

pleasing fungus I just murked snake:5 with the (+twster) on my arty plate as a fofi

pls be nice to snakes

I just got banished by erolcha (and then died a while later). thanks to new game features, I can now tell that she had only a 19% chance of successfully banishing me on the one (1) turn I let her have LOS. rip

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

I've been following trog cause I've been only playing berserkers for now.

These are low-level enemies and i'm level 10+ wielding a +6 weapon with fighting emphasized.... Why are stupid enemies like "plants" and "fungus" and orcs not dying in a single hit even when berserk?

is your weapon like a falchion or a mace or something, you should be one-shotting fungi & orcs when zerked if you have a weapon that's any good at all

(level 10 isn't high level, tho)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Schnedwob posted:

nobody get ziggurat, it's fun for maybe an hour, until you beat it once and it gets stale

the shooting is okay but the design is really bad in general

also there are jumping puzzles

first-person jumping puzzles

in a roguelike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated the jumping puzzles. #roguelikes likes to downplay them whenever I bring them up.

There's no element of challenge or risk to them, unless you're super concerned about your score from time - you just keep doing it until you succeed. You can't get hurt or lose resources or fail in any meaningful way.

The whole map is a wasted opportunity - there's no real difference between one map and the next, it's just a series of arenas with no meaningful spatial relationship between them. You can sometimes end up getting to the boss faster, or slower. That's about all the procedural map generation gives you.

The metagame progression is incredibly uninspired grindy bullshit. ("Deal 100,000 damage with weapon Y", "kill 1000 enemy X". Hooray!)

Probably I'd be a little kinder to it if I wasn't coming to it straight from Crypt of the Necromancer, but god, what a step-down!

• Locked thread