Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Been playing Crawl thanks to this thread. Got pretty far with a Draconian Berserker, then tried a Minotaur Berserker and found a +6 Artefact Spear, and some +3 chain mail with mR++. Got to "The Lair," but died to some unique monster named Erica. Couldn't escape her and she summoned a bunch of poo poo.

Is there away to dash, or get away from monsters or stop them from summoning/casting spells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Something i don't like about crawl, is that even mundane enemies can take an excessive amount of turns to kill since high damage weapon are balance by having a negative to-hit. So even if you are wielding an end-game weapon (which I assume a god-gift would be?) you can have a problem killing something like a yak unless you are very highly leveled in both fighting and the weapon skill.

Basically I think high-level weapons should have high to-hit, so that you can kill things quickly instead of the opposite.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I've been following trog cause I've been only playing berserkers for now.

01011001 posted:

you should probably be even more leveled in fighting and the weapon skill if that's an issue

These are low-level enemies and i'm level 10+ wielding a +6 weapon with fighting emphasized.... Why are stupid enemies like "plants" and "fungus" and orcs not dying in a single hit even when berserk?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm not sure but next time I play I'll make sure to check more often, but when I say "emphasized" I do the little thing where I select it in the skills menu which allocates like 20% XP to it.

Anyway, it's possible that I'm just using weapons that are too slow, I was doing polearms and axes, the +6 weapon I had was a Halberd with a Pain brand. Should I use something more traditional like Swords or Short Swords? I like Axes for their cleaving qualities, but I don't know how useful that is in practice.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

01011001 posted:

switch to manual allocation, you should probably have way more funneled to fighting/weapon than 20% initially if you're going trog

Oh? I didn't know that was a thing. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Decided to go Maces and got gifted a +6 Great Mace of Freezing. Got back to the lair and killed an 8 headed hydra, was killed by getting confused in the slime layer and surrounded by slimes which turned into a very large slime, had no clue what to do. But definetly had some means of escaping. Pretty cool.

Bryan the Bludgeoner (Minotaur Berserker) Turns: 11397, Time: 01:32:22

HP -21/172 AC 17 Str 31 XL: 12 Next: 78%
MP 1/5 EV 9 Int 5 God: Trog [*****.]
Gold 1022 SH 0 Dex 15 Spells: 0 memorised, 11 levels left

rFire + . . SeeInvis + I - +6 great mace "Nes Rytt" {freeze, +Rage rC+ Dex+4 Int-2}
rCold + . . Clarity . W - +3 chain mail of Supple Strength {Int+3 SInv}
rNeg . . . rCorr + (no shield)
rPois . rRot . (helmet restricted)
rElec . Spirit . (no cloak)
SustAb . Warding . U - +0 pair of gloves
rMut . Stasis . (no boots)
Gourm . k - amulet of resist corrosion
MR ..... (no ring)

Got ruined by slimes

Survived against some pretty mean poo poo, definitely my best game so far.
3 hydras
2 death yaks (Lair:7)
3 griffons
An oklob plant (Lair:3)
12 elephants
5 spiny frogs
3 black mambas
A torpor snail (Lair:8)
A komodo dragon (Lair:7)
A fire drake (Lair:7)
4 slime creatures (Lair:8)
A boulder beetle (Lair:7)