Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Ivy posted:

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure they're all much too small to keep.

I had a phidippus arizonensis as a pet for a while. She ate the smallest size crickets and required very infrequent cage cleaning. They don't tend to last very long (like 2 years generally) but they have interesting behavior. I kept mine in a gallon bowl-shaped aquarium with a bit of dirt and a miniature Stonehenge to give her something to interact with when hunting. She got lazy as poo poo later in life and didn't jump for her prey, just waited for them to walk up and then bite them in the face and wait for them to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I love the idea of a grumpy, fat little diva of a jumping spider who just can't be bothered to jump anymore.

I know they breathe through their skin, but can they sigh?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

She mostly hung out in her resting sac writing bad poetry. She was my favorite dog of all time, to be honest.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Pile of Kittens posted:

She mostly hung out in her resting sac writing bad poetry. She was my favorite dog of all time, to be honest.

JUMPING DOGS ARE WHAT MADE TASTY CRAYON PAUSE AND GO "awwww" INSTEAD OF RUNNING FOR AN OVERTURNED CUP

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

I love the idea of a grumpy, fat little diva of a jumping spider who just can't be bothered to jump anymore.

I know they breathe through their skin, but can they sigh?

NO WE HAVE LUNGS FOLDED ACCORDION STYLE IN TWO PAIRS IN OUR ABDOMENS, JUST LIKE YOU

WE CAN, HOWEVER, HISS LOUDLY BY RUBBING THE HAIRS ON OUR LEGS TOGETHER.

JUST LIKE YOUR MOM

Tasty_Crayon fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 2, 2015

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

WE ARE VERY SAD YOU DID NOT ENJOY OUR JOKINGS.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hey I laughed then promptly went to awwww at DOGS on google images.

ok they're probably the floofy lap dogs of the world but how viable is it to have a harvestman spiderDOG as a pet? THEY'RE SO CUTE.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
There are a lot of feral harvestman dogs at my place. They are very shy dogs. I just let them run around and eat the numerous, tiny cats in my garden. Oddly they seem to be strictly outdoor dogs, unlike the small, translucent white dogs that I find have adopted my house. I'm not sure what they're eating but they are very well-mannered dogs...

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Once my friends and I made a homemade key lime pie and ate it out on the porch. A while later we were sitting out there chatting and I noticed a harvestman standing on someone's pie spoon they left on the table outside. The harvestman was LICKING PIE off of the spoon.

We watched him for a long time. He also chased away another, smaller harvestman who also wanted some pie!

That is my story. We let him lick the spoon clean. The weird little trails he left where he'd licked off the pie were so weird looking, I wish I'd taken a picture of it.

Also, harvestmen are not true spiders dogs! They are in their own distinct order apart from spiders and are more closely related to mites. :eng101:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

So, you mean they're like hyenas? Not quite dogs but similar?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Op took too long to reply and I'd already fired up Craigslist and found a very reputable breeder who makes them in small batches in her backyard! Any suggestions for names? I was thinking Stumpy since she's a cute teacup harvestman dog with fairly short legs. Like a corgi but cuter!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

This thread makes me profoundly uncomfortable.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

khy posted:

This thread makes me profoundly uncomfortable.

I assume you're a cat person, then.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Ivy posted:

I assume you're a cat person, then.

The urge to get out a shoe to deal with all these animals is incredibly strong.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

khy posted:

The urge to get out a shoe to deal with all these animals is incredibly strong.

That's animal abuse. Cats and dogs are god's special creatures.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

wtftastic posted:

That's animal abuse. Cats and dogs are god's special creatures.

Yes, they are! And I am simply trying to reunite them with him.

Because holy poo poo they are terrifying to me.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Wedemeyer posted:

Op took too long to reply and I'd already fired up Craigslist and found a very reputable breeder who makes them in small batches in her backyard! Any suggestions for names? I was thinking Stumpy since she's a cute teacup harvestman dog with fairly short legs. Like a corgi but cuter!

YOUR DOG IMPOSTER WILL BRING YOU NOTHING BUT WOE.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

khy posted:

Because holy poo poo they are terrifying to me.

AW MAN DONT BE LIKE THAT

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I became a lot less unnerved by dogs when I found out that essentially no dog has enough venom to reliably kill a healthy adult human even without antivenom.

They'll gently caress you up but you have to be unlucky to be killed if you're unlucky enough to get bitten. Pretty much the same story as bees though: if you're allergic then hoooooo boy.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
What say you about artificial companion dogs as an alternative for those who are perhaps allergic to dogs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo2TUIEXJig

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

But I can't pet these dogs. Why dogs I can't pet?

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

alucinor posted:

What say you about artificial companion dogs as an alternative for those who are perhaps allergic to dogs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo2TUIEXJig

holy poo poo

Nerwign
Dec 7, 2012

Help! Is my dog dead or just getting a new coat? I've heard many novice dog owners throw their dogs away just when they're getting shiny new coats. My dog is in her house (hollow log) and is on her back with legs mostly out. I haven't touched her. Any thoughts???

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

ALL IS WELL. THE CURRENT FASION TREND IS FOR SKINNY JEANS AND THOSE ARE SUPER HARD TO GET OUT OF. A DOG MUST WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE SLOWLY SO DELICATE PARTS DONT GET STUCK AND TEAR A DOG OPEN.

THE THINGS WE DO TO LOOK NICE, RITE

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

A rare sighting of Tangerine, my adorable OBT :kimchi:

There's something oddly comforting about sleeping with an OBT right next to your pillow.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Munnin The Crab posted:

There's something oddly comforting about sleeping with an OBT right next to your pillow.

Wanna pet that dog.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Munnin The Crab posted:

A FINE NOBLE DOG TO WATCH AFTER YOU DURING YOUR NIGHT TIME MUSINGS!

Nerwign
Dec 7, 2012

Tasty_Crayon posted:

ALL IS WELL. THE CURRENT FASION TREND IS FOR SKINNY JEANS AND THOSE ARE SUPER HARD TO GET OUT OF. A DOG MUST WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE SLOWLY SO DELICATE PARTS DONT GET STUCK AND TEAR A DOG OPEN.

THE THINGS WE DO TO LOOK NICE, RITE

How long does this take? I read it can take up to 8 hours but we're at 12 hours at least now and no significant sign of change. I misted near the dog house to try to help...

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Tasty_Crayon posted:

ALSO LIVE FEEDING SOMETHING THAT HAS A VERTEBRATES CAPACITY TO FEEL PAIN IS A REAL DICK MOVE.

As an owner of vertebrates who people looove to use as live feeding I thank you.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I had a black wi....black dog for a couple years. She was awesome as hell and I loved seeing people get their nose right up to the glass to figure out what was in the terrarium. Now I just have a giant hairy desert cat and a bark cat.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Is fire or gas the best way to get rid of a dog infestation?

Nerwign
Dec 7, 2012

Mymla posted:

I'd guess it's similar to childproofing your home. You should have dog-proof latches on all your cabinets and locks on your doors to prevent them from getting in.

Or is it like racoons? Take away the reason they want to be there in the first place. Are you leaving food out or encouraging food to come by? Get rid of the cats in your house/yard and don't leave lots of nice places for dogs to make houses. Then again, it's good to consider if the dogs you're infested with are a beneficial species and not actually dangerous. You might just be able to live in harmony with the dogs as they rid your yard of pesky cats and other nuisance animals!

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

As an owner of vertebrates who people looove to use as live feeding I thank you.

JIMMY I WILL MAKE YOU A BURGER FOR DINNER BUT FIRST YOU MUST KILL THE COW WITH YOUR SOFT USELESS HANDS.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Mymla posted:

Drinking either one will take your mind off the dogs.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tasty_Crayon posted:

JIMMY I WILL MAKE YOU A BURGER FOR DINNER BUT FIRST YOU MUST KILL THE COW WITH YOUR SOFT USELESS HANDS.

Spoken like you ain't murdered livestock.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Eifert Posting posted:

Spoken like you ain't murdered livestock.

Speaking of which, I've heard deep fried crunchy dog is delicious.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

hello friends

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
What type of dog is this just noticed it in my bathroom

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
I think that dog answers to some flavor of Pholcidae. It's a messy, messy cellar dog. That dog will hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

That's a purebread Hugging Dog. Lookit those long legs! Perfect for hugging you and your children :3:

• Locked thread