Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

these are the best dogs and I am glad people are coming to appreciate these breeds

for my birthday my sister got me a little kit with which you catch and keep a small stray dog
I am very looking forward to giving one a good home

you can totally keep the tiny bouncy dogs as pets! people do it all the time
mostly you are limited to whichever small dogs run free in your area though so unless you are Australian a dancing rainbow dog is probably out of your reach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Arriviste posted:

I think that dog answers to some flavor of Pholcidae. It's a messy, messy cellar dog. That dog will hunt.
you got yourself a purebred Pholcus phalangioides there, you lucky thing
they're a friendly, low-maintenance breed that is excellent at pest control

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

goliath dogs are very nice and fairly chill but not for beginners, their bristly butts are the worst of all dogbristles (they are like if somebody cross-bred a dog and porcupine) and you wanna make sure you know how not to annoy them

Tasty_Crayon posted:

A FINE EXAMPLE OF WHEN A DOG DESIRES A COMFY HABITAT. I WOULD BET HE TURNED AROUND SEVERAL TIMES TOO, SO AS TO MAXIMIZE THE COMFY
that is a pretty little lady dog, you can tell because she doesn't have any giant dog balls on her pedipalps

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

is she an Indian Ornamental? such a beautiful breed :allears:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

i like her

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

good news! the fastest true dog is the giant house dog Eratigena atrica which is both common and extremely docile! (some imitation dogs are even faster but nobody cares about them)

if you're more interested in marathon than sprint, male dancing white lady dogs ( Leucorchestris arenicola ) often travel more than a kilometre in a single night, and are still able to find their way home afterwards :3:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

what a determined little dog, good job friend! :kimchi:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I had the honour of watching a tiny window dog shedding earlier this week
it went a lot quicker than I thought it would! and it was so delicate looking sitting there drying its new legs in the breeze :3:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

A.o.D. posted:

Are there any dog breeds capable of cognition greater than stimulus>response?
it's generally agreed that the jumping dogs are the most intelligent, as they're capable of object permanence (very unusual among inverts) and can actually learn how to approach situations they don't have the instincts to deal with automatically (eg Portia hunting, can use trial and error to come up with strategies to take down new prey they've never seen before)

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

'beige dog in the northeast US' isn't really enough to make a guess at a breed, but they're probably fine outside
it's the summer so it's not too cold, there's plenty of food and if they really wanna be inside they'll find a way back in
since you say there are a lot of them, I'd assume they're doing just fine! :D

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

it would help to know what region you're in, and I think a closer photo would also be a good idea (a better look at the dogbutt would be really useful to see if she has any distinctive markings, as it is I can't make it out cos of the angle and shadows)
looks like a good and cute dog though!

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

looks like a Tetragnatha species, a long-jawed orb weaver :3:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

ah, the 4th picture wasn't there when I posted (or at least it wasn't showing up), that's a different species for sure
could be Metellina sp. but it's kinda hard to tell from this angle

how different male and female dogs look depends entirely on the species, sometimes they're very different (e.g. Nephila genus) to the point where they look like totally different species, sometimes the only way to tell is relative size, abdomen size/shape or more reliably palp shape (e.g. Gnaphosidae) , mature males have enlarged bulbs on the ends of the palps for mating

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

accept that you have a new pet now

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

poor dog has been attacked by a parasitic wasp, and now it is a home for little wasp babies

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

sweeperbravo posted:

How long can a visiting housedog live without eating :smith: Herb has been around for about a week or two now and I don't think there's much in the way of provisions for him here. He doesn't move much these days and he appears to change in color.

He is my only friend most of the time when I am at home :(
if he's a fully mature male (check for the great big clubbed palps males have), he probably won't make it through the winter unfortunately :smith:
it's mating season for them right now, and males don't live much past it (and won't eat either)
if Herb is actually a girldog, then you've got nothing to worry about, might just be getting ready to moult

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

no, all dogs moult a certain number of times but immature males and females look pretty much the same
she'll be resting for a little while after moulting so that her new skin and can dry out and harden properly, that'll be why you're seeing a colour change (they're much paler just after moulting and will gradually darken into their usual colours)
make sure she has something to drink nearby - set down a bottle cap of water or a damp piece of cotton wool - and she'll be just fine!

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

oh GOSH she's gorgeous I love her!!!!!
!!!
:kimchi:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

looks like potentially an immature female Phidippus johnsoni, 3rd instar
as a general note, if you want anything identified it really helps to give an idea of your location

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

that's a Nephila sp., given your location most likely N. clavipes
more commonly known as a golden silk orb weaver retriever, or banana dog
their webs are so excellent that they can catch birds and small reptiles in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Semisponge posted:

Mother snuggling her litter

that's a ferret
this thread is for dogs
c'mon

• Locked thread