Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
I think I like the format of using a tactical map but resolving combat by a JRPG battle better than actual tactics games, but Ogre Battle and SaGa Frontier 2 are really the only games I can think of that use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I want to play Tactics Ogre: LUCT but it seems pretty overwhelming. I've played through FFT, what do I need to know about LUCT?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

What's different about them? I know nothing about the series :negative:.

The Ogre Battle games are like rts rpgs and it owns. The Tactics Ogre games basically invented the whole isometric srpg genre yet are better than all of them and it owns

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I want to play Tactics Ogre: LUCT but it seems pretty overwhelming. I've played through FFT, what do I need to know about LUCT?

Archers are overpowered and crafting is tedious bullshit and it's really good

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

my favourite is "let us cling together" because, despite never having played it, i really enjoy the queen song it was named after.

i saw the n64 game somewhere for 60 dollars recently, wasn't it super rare or something?

my morning jackass fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 12, 2015

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

FactsAreUseless posted:

use persuade a lot

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I've heard good things about Ogre Battle, but have never played either one. If the mouse worked I think it would be required for me to be able to get into it, which version should I play?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you're playing the PSX version, you're going to be spending lots of time in training battles with your guys throwing rocks at each other like cavemen.

If you're playing the PSP version, you're going to be spending lots of time staring at that drat crafting pot.

Other than those 2 killer flaws, the game is very good and fun and you should know how the basic gameplay works from experience with FFT.
It's just that the game is much more balanced around actual strategy and tactics rather than making a bunch of God units with ridiculous skills.

Powercrazy posted:

I've heard good things about Ogre Battle, but have never played either one. If the mouse worked I think it would be required for me to be able to get into it, which version should I play?

OB64 is an all-time classic and has a much lower learning curve since the game has tutorials and everything. There's not much bullshit in the game either, other than the Ogre series trademark EXTREMELY opaque requirements for optional characters and secret content, and the loving Chaos Frame (which you don't have to care too much about if you just want to steamroll the game and get a bad ending for being an evil overpowered bastard).

The SNES version is still a decent game but it's very dated, a fairly steep learning curve for beginners, and plenty of wonky bullshit that OB64 ironed out (how the game handles undead units, for one thing).

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 12, 2015

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Ogre Battle 64 loving owned I played that poo poo for at least 40-50 hours on the first go when I was a kid. Then I got the worst possible loving ending where the kingdom got destroyed and I was forgotten forever :mad:

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

my morning jackass posted:

my favourite is "let us cling together" because, despite never having played it, i really enjoy the queen song it was named after.

i saw the n64 game somewhere for 60 dollars recently, wasn't it super rare or something?

I just really dig that games in this series are named after Queen songs but the franchise has no real relation content-wise whatsoever except more name references such as "Rhyan Sea" (which is also a reference to Ryan Seacrest[citation needed])

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Servaetes posted:

Ogre Battle 64 loving owned I played that poo poo for at least 40-50 hours on the first go when I was a kid. Then I got the worst possible loving ending where the kingdom got destroyed and I was forgotten forever :mad:

That ending is kinda cool in that you get to run the Good Guy Gauntlet at the end, though. "Hey, we're the protagonists from other games, and we think you're a dickhole" and the main character is all "lol k"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I always loved how 64 was just blank enough to make some interesting narratives show up

Like I had this one chick who came up through the Soldier ranks. Her name was Ripley. She was a total badass, I never see anyone crit but this chick killed 3 leaders in a row with 3 crits, it was loving awesome. I was looking really forward to her upgrading into like an archer or something boring because i was a minmaxing little bitch, but then when she came up for promotion the only thing she was eligible for was Dragon Tamer.

I'm all 'okay whatever' and upgrade her to a dragon tamer. I had a couple of baby dragons left over from like 4 battles ago and was like 'well might as well give this a shot'

holy loving poo poo. believe it or not? Ripley whipped those dragons into shape. nothing, but NOTHING could stop them. by the time they grew up into the bigass dragons they were loving demolishing entire units in one skirmish. what was weirdest is that even though she was the leader of one of my most lethal death squads, her ALI never strayed too far from neutral. i liked to think that after the war, she just sort of walked away from the army with her dragons and did whatever the gently caress she wanted for the next 30 years. some days she just sleeps under a tree, other days she murders the gently caress out of some punk-rear end bandits. whatever, she's homies with two dragons as big as a house, your argument is invalid.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

THX to the ppl who explained stuff to me. What game would you recommend for a noob to try, first foray ever into the series??

Dec 26, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

I think I like the format of using a tactical map but resolving combat by a JRPG battle better than actual tactics games, but Ogre Battle and SaGa Frontier 2 are really the only games I can think of that use it.

bahamut lagoon
devil survivor 1 and 2

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'd recommend 64 myself. the snes one is good, but the 50% in the middle of the game is the same loving thing over and over again and it gets really really hard to give a poo poo. it's sad because the first 25% and the last 25% are both really good. 64 remains fairly interesting throughout since it'll throw interesting gimmicks into a lot of battles and there's a bit more story in between battles to shake things up.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

yeah I'd go with 64. another weird part of the game I haven't seen explained is how the battles happen automatically. You arrange your unit ahead of time and when they meet an enemy unit they do their attacks based on their position in the unit. You have very limited target control so the whole system takes a little while to adjust to.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

THX to the ppl who explained stuff to me. What game would you recommend for a noob to try, first foray ever into the series??

ogre battle 64
tactics ogre: knights of lodis

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
64 is awesome so long as you read up on hidden mechanics ahead of time. Nothing more frustrating then finding out you hosed something up after you've beaten it.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'd try the Super Nintendo one first. I think the Tarot Card personality test is pretty kewl, and some friends from the SNES one show up in the N64 one. I played the N64 one first, so I missed out on those references

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i agree with the 64 recommendation but beware that it emulates like rear end. it's on the wii VC though.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Gonna recommend the SNES one, maybe use the PSX version of the SNES one if you want some extra animations and stuff. The SNES one is fine though. If you use the PSX one make sure to turn the game speed down; it's abnormally high in that variation.

The N64 one is good but emulating it can be weird like someone suggested (I had good luck with MUPEN on it though) hence why I suggested the SNES one.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Gonna recommend the SNES one, maybe use the PSX version of the SNES one if you want some extra animations and stuff. The SNES one is fine though. If you use the PSX one make sure to turn the game speed down; it's abnormally high in that variation.

The N64 one is good but emulating it can be weird like someone suggested (I had good luck with MUPEN on it though) hence why I suggested the SNES one.

it's on wii VC for like eight bucks (as is the snes one) if you want to skip the hassle + is still the loving best. i want another one of these like you wouldn't believe

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There is a table top game that plays like the old final fantasy / ogre battle tactics game and made a character inspired by the witches. Forgiving Deneb for life!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Witches are terrible although it's funny to randomly have Pumpkins and Halloweens do hundreds of damage late game whenever their attack actually works.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah I can't think of a single situation in either the SNES or the N64 version where I said 'boy a witch would be a really great addition to this unit'

I'd always rather murder someone than stun them.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

in the gba game u can make a witch into deneb who is a badass

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

anyone do the kickstarter for that new matsuno game? that just a huge pile of vaporware or is it still happening

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

koolkal posted:

in the gba game u can make a witch into deneb who is a badass

This is one of my favorite secrets in any video game. Make a witch named Deneb, bam it's actually Deneb

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Boogre shattle.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

i got 64 for christmas the year it came out and then i bought it on virtual console so i could play it again. also knights of lodis was cool and so was teo torriatte. good thread op

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

tactics ogre is super good and is alot less obtuse than the other games (except maybe knights of lodus? never played that one). while its technically a sequel the story is straight up stand alone but you'll meet people from the original ogre battle. the only thing you need to be aware of is the chaos frame system, where killin dude from any nation gets that nation to hate you, and gettin knocked down by them gets them to not hate you, but thats only important for one sidequest for one of the paths and one of the endings.

the psp remake is super cool.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 12, 2015

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free
the psp remake is the most played game on my Vita by a ton.

I'm at the last chapter, on the chaos route.

its very good

Dec 26, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

tactics ogre is super good and is alot less obtuse than the other games (except maybe knights of lodus? never played that one).

knight of lodis is way less obtuse than let us cling together

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
My middle school best friend's dad really loved playing Ogre Battle on the PSX

Is there a contemporary game in that style aka single player JRPG RTS?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I would probably pay an irresponsible amount of money to own the Ogre Battle tarot deck, with that art and all.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
magnus gallant person of lordly calibr

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
yumil dulmare person of cowardly pussydom

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Is losing units in Ogre Battle 64 a big deal? I picked it up a long time ago but I got stuck on like the 5th mission because I couldn't figure out how to clear it without losing at least one unit

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Not a Children posted:

Is losing units in Ogre Battle 64 a big deal? I picked it up a long time ago but I got stuck on like the 5th mission because I couldn't figure out how to clear it without losing at least one unit

iirc there should be places to revive them it'll just cost you some cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Not a Children posted:

They might come back as zombies. If the zombie gets hit with fire they turn into a skeleton, and if the skeleton gets hit with wind they turn into a ghost.

• Locked thread