Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
here's basically the way it goes:

-if you lose a dude, you can revive them good as new with either an expensive item or a somewhat less expensive trip to the witch den on a battle map. there's one on basically every level. it's basically a tradeoff between time and money.
-if you lose a dude and fail to revive them before you kill the boss and beat the level, they will return as some sort of undead. typically this is either a zombie or a skeleton, but there are one or two special undead classes like Angel Knights you can get with some stupid and obtuse requirements.
-once a dude is undead, they roll by a few different rules. when they're killed, at the end of a skirmish they will be regenerate to full health instead of just staying down. the only exception to this is if they are killed with holy-aligned magic or weapons (think the Blessed Sword). enemies are generally pretty bad at using this stuff, so usually your undead units will be immortal wrecking balls. there are a few things that can make the undead change classes, though - namely, if a zombie is killed with fire, it will regenerate as a skeleton instead of a zombie. and if a skeleton is killed with wind, it will regenerate as a ghost instead of a skeleton.

also note that the regeneration of health only happens when they, like, go down. if they survive a skirmish with 3 health then they're going into the next fight with 3 health and you might see them die early on and leave your back line exposed.

defeat conditions don't take into account that you can revive someone like nothing ever happened fyi. if magnus or another mission-critical npc ever goes out, game over right there.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

01011001 posted:

bahamut lagoon
devil survivor 1 and 2

I didn't like Bahamut Lagoon but I didn't play the other two.

Dec 26, 2012

you should at least try 1, 2 didnt grab me the same way but it was good too

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I never knew that about the undead stuff that's really cool and makes me want to play the game again. I have a 64 game going on my comp from like 3 years ago but there are so many other games to play right now it's insane.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Witches are terrible although it's funny to randomly have Pumpkins and Halloweens do hundreds of damage late game whenever their attack actually works.

ray of paralysis is almost too good in 64 but witches suck in the tactics games

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

THX to the ppl who explained stuff to me. What game would you recommend for a noob to try, first foray ever into the series??

64 for sure, the snes one is fun but there's so many QoL improvements its just easier. if you're going through the game blind/without looking anything up the only thing id recommend is to make sure you have a mostly lawful unit, a neutral unit and a chaotic unit just to match the town liberations

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
OB64 is possibly the most content-rich game on the N64

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

a cat youtube posted:

64 for sure, the snes one is fun but there's so many QoL improvements its just easier. if you're going through the game blind/without looking anything up the only thing id recommend is to make sure you have a mostly lawful unit, a neutral unit and a chaotic unit just to match the town liberations

the way i did it was just to have 2-4 units i could deploy as liberators at any one time (just check the map beforehand and deploy an alignment unit that fits the route you intend to take) and then the rest of my units were death squads. just total sons of bitches that showed up to a fight with every dirty trick hanging out and ready to murder any fucker that got in their way.

this typically crashes the poo poo out of their alignment and makes them chaotic as gently caress. but who cares, they're not the ones the people see. though weirdly there are some exceptions to this, like the story about Ripley and her dragons. they stayed pretty neutral despite killing like 15 guys every time they took the field.

the thing that makes me most sad about both OB games is that the game basically rewards you for taking your cool personal character and stuffing him directly in the HQ where nothing will happen, ever. his alignment in part determines your ending and him dying immediately makes you game over, so after you make him lawful you should just leave him in the HQ with his thumb up his rear end.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Coolguye posted:

the thing that makes me most sad about both OB games is that the game basically rewards you for taking your cool personal character and stuffing him directly in the HQ where nothing will happen, ever. his alignment in part determines your ending and him dying immediately makes you game over, so after you make him lawful you should just leave him in the HQ with his thumb up his rear end.

Maybe if you're a wuss. Alignment wasn't too bad; generally I avoided making Magnus the highest level character (Dio's Squad was my death squad), and so long as you don't get too overly murder happy Magnus swings lawful. I offset the level differential by giving his squad the best classes/equips.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

My favorite thing to do in the SNES one was to use a unit consisting entirely of liches to liberate towns and watch the reputation dive off a cliff.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Maybe if you're a wuss. Alignment wasn't too bad; generally I avoided making Magnus the highest level character (Dio's Squad was my death squad), and so long as you don't get too overly murder happy Magnus swings lawful. I offset the level differential by giving his squad the best classes/equips.

Yeah, also magnus's personal alignment has nothing to do with what ending you get, there's a hidden stat counter in the game called the chaos frame, it increases with liberating towns and decreases with capturing towns, and will always decrease if you visit neutral towns during battles . it decreases twice as fast as it increases. also certain story decisions increase or decrease it.

magnus can be fully chaotic and if you have a high chaos frame (above 70) you'll get the good ending and get all the zenobian allies to join during the game neutral gets a neutral ending and some zeonbian allies and a shot at a few of the neutral characters low chaos fram gets the bad endings and a shot at the werewolf dude, one or two other characters

its really not worth worrying about if its your first time playing it, just try to match up the alignment of your units with the morale of the towns you visit, you should get a relatively high chaos frame and get most of the unique characters to join up .

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I thought magnus's alignment affected the ending same as chaos frame, similarly to how your Lord's alignment and your rep affects the ending of march of the black queen

But then again I believed that your Lord's CHA affected the ending in motbq for the longest time so it is possible I am a dumb

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I picked up Ogre Battle 64 on the e shop because of this thread. If I don't give a poo poo about the ending do I just play it like an evil snes run?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I picked up Ogre Battle 64 on the e shop because of this thread. If I don't give a poo poo about the ending do I just play it like an evil snes run?

yeah p much just play however you want

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Playing a 'good' run is kinda better because you get some really sweet crossover chars from the snes game. Like you can get Warren slinging spells for you, it kinda owns.

Fortunately being good is easier than it is in the snes version. Liberate towns with like-aligned dudes (v simple) and never ever ever be like squall from ff8 in story scenes.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah pretty much. matching alignments is tedious as hell, if you don't care about the ending just don't loving bother

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

square's tactical rpgs own. currently playing through march of the black queen and front mission 3.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The evil path had a cool final battle ruined by a stupid, grimdark ending.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

liquid courage posted:

square's tactical rpgs own. currently playing through march of the black queen and front mission 3.

:yikes:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The PSP game was my favorite game ever and I consider it prefect in almost every way (gently caress that crafting pot), most notably the story. Which is really cool because I can count on one hand the number of games that I enjoyed the plot of, and Tactics Ogre is pretty close to the top

Going off how much I enjoyed the PSP game, a few years ago I got Ogre Battle on Wiiware. I got like five battles in, was confused by the total lack of a story, and stopped playing.

The whole thing felt like something I just didn't really "get," rather than a bad game, so if I ever go back I don't suppose anyone has any pointers to get started? The whole gameplay system was really confusing to me, mostly in that during battles I always felt really confused about what kind of decisions I was supposed to be making.

Like usually it seemed like what I was supposed to do was just send all my parties in one direction as just a big blob of fighting strength. The game pretty obviously seemed to be designed to discourage that (only one party gets in a fight at a time, usually the enemies were a bit to strong to be able to just brute force through), but I was always at a loss for what else I was supposed to be doing. The whole map would just feel like I'd be sitting there waiting on my partyblobs to get places, maybe win, and then just keep throwing them in that direction until I won. It was mostly like watching an insanely boring movie than playing a game

What was I not understanding? It was pretty clear to me that I was doing things wrong, but I never had even an inkling as to how the game was supposed to be played. Could anyone fill me in? I assume I was being retarded and the answer is obvious

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 15, 2015

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

ninjewtsu posted:

The PSP game was my favorite game ever and I consider it prefect in almost every way (gently caress that crafting pot), most notably the story. Which is really cool because I can count on one hand the number of games that I enjoyed the plot of, and Tactics Ogre is pretty close to the top

Going off how much I enjoyed the PSP game, a few years ago I got Ogre Battle on Wiiware. I got like five battles in, was confused by the total lack of a story, and stopped playing.

The whole thing felt like something I just didn't really "get," rather than a bad game, so if I ever go back I don't suppose anyone has any pointers to get started? The whole gameplay system was really confusing to me, mostly in that during battles I always felt really confused about what kind of decisions I was supposed to be making.

Like usually it seemed like what I was supposed to do was just send all my parties in one direction as just a big blob of fighting strength. The game pretty obviously seemed to be designed to discourage that (only one party gets in a fight at a time, usually the enemies were a bit to strong to be able to just brute force through), but I was always at a loss for what else I was supposed to be doing. The whole map would just feel like I'd be sitting there waiting on my partyblobs to get places, maybe win, and then just keep throwing them in that direction until I won. It was mostly like watching an insanely boring movie than playing a game

What was I not understanding? It was pretty clear to me that I was doing things wrong, but I never had even an inkling as to how the game was supposed to be played. Could anyone fill me in? I assume I was being retarded and the answer is obvious

maybe the game is just retarded

e: did the font just change

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

There's an easy glitch that lets you get infinite consumables, using this on the alignment items makes it much less of a hassle to get some classes

Dec 26, 2012

both of those are good games, idk what your problem is

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

SNES Ogre Battle is super obtuse to the unprepared, Knight of Lodis on GBA is much more similar to LUCT

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Looper posted:

SNES Ogre Battle is super obtuse to the unprepared, Knight of Lodis on GBA is much more similar to LUCT

I've considered picking up the GBA game but I'm mostly asking about the most basic gameplay. Is sending all your dudes in a big blog how you're supposed to play the game? Where does any strategy at all enter gameplay? I understand the game being obtuse about things, but I just straight up don't understand how to have fun in the game, which seems like a much more fundamental problem than "there's a lot of things the game doesn't tell you"

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

I've considered picking up the GBA game but I'm mostly asking about the most basic gameplay. Is sending all your dudes in a big blog how you're supposed to play the game? Where does any strategy at all enter gameplay? I understand the game being obtuse about things, but I just straight up don't understand how to have fun in the game, which seems like a much more fundamental problem than "there's a lot of things the game doesn't tell you"

the strategy is in how you build your units for the job they need to do. ideally, you have 2 or 3 "capturing" units that fit the alignments you need for towns, and then the rest of you groups are pure damage dealing murderer squads. Then it's all tactics in your deployment and protection of those liberating groups.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dont bully me! posted:

also 64 was the best one

ogre battle 64 was pretty good poo poo but personally i don't think it measures up to the minimalist story in march of the black queen. like ob-snes was all "gently caress yeah, liberate this map, help this chick's brother become bros with the boss, recruit everyone, the end" but ob64 was like "liberate this map, now watch us explain this mechanic you'll literally never use because it's poo poo, now watch yumil mope for ten minutes, now watch the pope for ten more minutes, now choose the next stage you want to do and then watch tristan show magnus how it's done, but unfortunately that's just the mission prologue"

Coolguye posted:

-if you lose a dude and fail to revive them before you kill the boss and beat the level, they will return as some sort of undead. typically this is either a zombie or a skeleton, but there are one or two special undead classes like Angel Knights you can get with some stupid and obtuse requirements.

leila has become ZOMBIE

but seriously just make a lich

my favorite thing in ogre battle is to make a lich and then never use it, put it in my bahamut + princess + paladin party and watch its ali skyrocket

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 15, 2015

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

ogre battle 64 was pretty good poo poo but personally i don't think it measures up to the minimalist story in march of the black queen. like ob-snes was all "gently caress yeah, liberate this map, help this chick's brother become bros with the boss, recruit everyone, the end" but ob64 was like "liberate this map, now watch us explain this mechanic you'll literally never use because it's poo poo, now watch yumil mope for ten minutes, now watch the pope for ten more minutes, now choose the next stage you want to do and then watch tristan show magnus how it's done, but unfortunately that's just the mission prologue"

yeah i'll buy that I think there's just a lot of QoL improvements from being on a more powerful system. The game itself is more fun to play even though I agree with you that it gets bogged down in a lot of story stuff, but from what i remember I enjoyed the story quite a bit.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

01011001 posted:

both of those are good games, idk what your problem is

none of the ogre games had anything to do with square besides like the psp remake

square basically killed the franchise by buying them to make final fantasy games

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dont bully me! posted:

yeah i'll buy that I think there's just a lot of QoL improvements from being on a more powerful system. The game itself is more fun to play even though I agree with you that it gets bogged down in a lot of story stuff, but from what i remember I enjoyed the story quite a bit.

yeah, i can agree that the story was pretty good, especially considering iirc this was post-matsuno and the game was probably written by a bunch of quest interns based on his notes

Dec 26, 2012

koolkal posted:

none of the ogre games had anything to do with square besides like the psp remake

square basically killed the franchise by buying them to make final fantasy games

its probably an honest mistake and a reasonable one considering how much resemblance to has to fft

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Probably because they had the same director/writer

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

i forgot march of the black queen was a quest game. speak of, was the neo geo pocket game ever translated?

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013

yeah, though i would reccommend doing a good run, which is honestly pretty simple, if you like the SNES one b/c of the crossover characters.

honestly you dont even need to worry about liberating/capturing towns that much to get a decent chunk of the good path characters

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ogre Battle series is really the best. Let Us Cling together was cool since your alignment choices actually affected poo poo and you can get assassinated after you beat the game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Radish posted:

Let Us Cling together was cool since your alignment choices actually affected poo poo and you can get assassinated after you beat the game.

this happens in most ogre battle games :ssh:

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

in my n64 game i got exiled but otherwise i seem to recall everyone mostly being cool? idk i figured it was the bad ending and i never looked up the others

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Dont bully me! posted:

in my n64 game i got exiled but otherwise i seem to recall everyone mostly being cool? idk i figured it was the bad ending and i never looked up the others

yea thats the bad ending

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

• Locked thread