Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

If you'd like to run a quick course of Ogre Battle and just get a feel for the game, get MOTBQ and put your name in as FIRESEAL. You play a one off stage where you get a ton of money and awesome units and you can make pretty much whatever powerful gangs you want.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

i just spent 20 minutes trying to find pumpkinheads in the soathlon highlands and i found 4 of them and all of them instantly joined my battalion which owns... also i've been taking lots of screenshots of the game but i dont have them right now but i'll post some.

the game owns, please continue discussing it imps

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I spent forever trying to get an Evil One way back when and they loving sucked :(

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Pumpkin heads are in fact the best unit in any strategy game

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I've made it a point to kill every OB/TO final boss with as many Pumpkinhead attacks as possible.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

This thread is making me want to grab this on the eshop. I had the n64 one and remember really enjoying it, but the ending was kinda dumb and confusing to my middle school self. It was something like a demon gate turned into a divine tree and a god-baby crawled out of it? With years of hindsight I wonder if that was just a bad ending or even a "mission fail" cutscene and not an ending at all.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Regardless of any of the endings the gameplay of Ogre Battle both MOTB and 64 is really good so picking it up on the e-shop isn't a bad idea.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ogre battle slays
automatic battles slay
a shitlaod of hidden stuff slays

more games should have just an assload of hidden mechanics like a chaos meter or whatever the gently caress. like 5 of them so they are impenetrable to analysis

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

This thread is making me want to grab this on the eshop. I had the n64 one and remember really enjoying it, but the ending was kinda dumb and confusing to my middle school self. It was something like a demon gate turned into a divine tree and a god-baby crawled out of it? With years of hindsight I wonder if that was just a bad ending or even a "mission fail" cutscene and not an ending at all.

All the ob games start with decent political plots and then spiral off into jrpg at the end because they are good games

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tender Bender posted:

no that was seriously the end of ogre battle 64 since it's not the final chapter in the ogre battle story, except that part was never actually written

Xmas Dumpster Fire
May 29, 2001

Square-Enix still holds the rights to Ogre Battle right? Is there any chance that we get a new one? What are the chances that the answer to that is anything but "no"?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it depends on what you're talking about as an ogre battle game. if you're thinking another tactical strategy game in the vein of march of the black queen or person of lordly caliber, the answer's almost definitely no. those games are absolutely insanely complicated and they sell to a very narrow subsection of the marketplace - it's practically impossible to justify them.

if you're referring to the tactics ogre sort of stuff that's basically an alternate universe final fantasy tactics there's a pretty decent chance we'll at least see a remake in the next 5 years.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
the werewolf sucks because if you kill him you get a sword that puts what you hit to sleep.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

doll masters/enchanters own. also opinicus really really owns if you get one super early like mission 8ish as i did this game because they basically have a better version of siren/archmage magic that can sometimes hit every square on the grid for like 20+ damage and that owns. i remember not giving neutrals a chance when i played i middle school but i like them now. even hellhounds are surprisingly good to me becasue they are the first 3 attack unit you can get.

one cool fact is that all of the classes that buff a monster type (dragon master/ beast tamer / doll master) apply a small version of the other type's buffs when they are leader. so an enchanter will make dragons and beasts a little bit stronger in addition to a larger boost on golems. who knew?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

is that in 64 or march of the black queen?

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

64, but it could be motbq as well who knows the mechanics of these games are like strange occult channeling/enochian scrying translated into computer code

like apparently it has 19000 files in ob64, and one guy spent like 4 years trying to make a hard mode nmod just to increase ai, gave up halfway through and then just tried to make it where he could change arrangement of enemy units and it seems like he gave up because he couldnt figure it out

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
March of The Black Queen has a mod that fixes a few of the bugs and improves some of the bad classes but i don't think it has a dedicated hard mode mod like fft does

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's a shame he couldn't figure out enemy unit distributions because that is seriously the thing that makes me shake my head most about 64

like if it's in the first few missions, okay whatever, put the leader front row center and stick amazons next to him. that's fine. but by the time i'm supposedly taking on generals that are responsible for an entire province in the empire it's time to start fielding units that aren't retarded.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

this game i'm just making bad units and copying enemy ones for a little twist. i have some paladin healers and some middle row mages and archers, using two dragon master + dragon squads. i even tried to use a pixie or fairy or w/e the gently caress but thats where i drew the lines, its just too garbage.

i'm actually kinda liking the undead this time around, i put two ghosts ina squad to tank its alignment, but its actually kind of awesome just taking out a minimum of two units each fight with sleep, and they can't be affected by status and just regen when they die, and a front line of skeletons is also a cool way to just skip putting a healer in a chaotic unit

Sofia Coppola_OD_ fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 23, 2015

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
There's a late game enemy unit in OB64 that has nothing but Priests and Clerics in it and thus can't possibly do any damage to you or win any single battle.

A LPer of the game came up with a theory that the bad guys figured they were so hosed when they saw your army that they started sending out groups of shivering helpless nuns to make you feel bad about slaughtering them.

OB64 is great but the only serious flaw is that somewhere around chapter 4 or so I guess they ran out of development time and just started slapping random units together to fill out maps because the game's difficulty seriously starts to fall off a cliff.
I guess that's why people love the Evil route's bonus mission--it's the only late game map that seems have some sort of deliberate design.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

OB64 is legit one of my top favorite games of all time, such a unique and incredibly deep game. really wish some developer would take the playstyle because to my knowledge there's just nothing like the battle system, chaos frames, methods of units, etc out there in any games. have waited loving forever for them to put n64 games on wiiu but they never will so i think this weekend im finally gonna pick this up again via wii mode, gently caress it.

they havent put Black Queen up on wiiu mode either, right? goddamn I need my offscreen Ogres already

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dio is simultaneously a huge douche and a mega bro.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shiki Dan posted:

There's a late game enemy unit in OB64 that has nothing but Priests and Clerics in it and thus can't possibly do any damage to you or win any single battle.

isn't that the one where you fight the cardinal's forces

it would ruin your day if you had an undead unit, or at least a unit that relied heavily on undeads for support. speaking of, victories in which you only defeated undeads don't count for getting soldiers experience to turn into basic units. i kinda disliked that system tbh, hiring was much more convenient and they just tacked that poo poo on to justify legions

Shinjobi posted:

Dio is simultaneously a huge douche and a mega bro.

i find that this tends to be the case with most bro-type people

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

it cost me like 40 minutes of capturing poo poo but i managed to recruit sheen after getting lidell, this manipulation of my 'chaos frame' has made me feel powerful.

sheen is like johnny bravo

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Was there any reason to use legions in OB64

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jackie D posted:

making fighting your princess unit fair for the enemies

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Centurions/Europa look cool I guess?

Oh oh no wait I got it, they make it easier to get secret treasures and monster recruits

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jackie D posted:

they would have been good if each unit in the legion counted for half of your unit cap (rounded up prly)

as it stands it's just a fantastic way to make half of your unit cap functionally immobile

GreaseMonkey
Jun 19, 2001
Skip the ogre poo poo and go straight to pure cooked Final Fantasy Tactics.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

tactics ogre is extremely win as well

If you want to play it on the original hardware, there is a translated reproduction cart that you can get from OCDreproductions for like 50 dollars.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
SNES9X
SNES9X
SNES9X
SNES9X
SNES9X
SNES9X

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Woah, haha, this link is both funny and relevant!

Dec 26, 2012

Wizgot posted:

If you want to play it on the original hardware, there is a translated reproduction cart that you can get from OCDreproductions for like 50 dollars.

if youre gonna play it you really should just play the psp version

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

01011001 posted:

if youre gonna play it you really should just play the psp version

Which is better between the gba and psp versions? Are they fully separate games or varying iterations of remake?

Dec 26, 2012

fully separate games, theyre fairly different so try both. the psp one is a revamp of the original with a really good translation and they added a skill system on that didnt originally exist. the gba one is its own separate game (and a prequel to the other), its more true to the original snes/psx one in many respects but simplified certain things like stats greatly, and it does the each-team-goes-in-sequence thing instead of having individual initiative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

GreaseMonkey posted:

Skip the ogre poo poo and go straight to pure cooked Final Fantasy Tactics.

MOTBQ and 64 are completely different than FFT.

• Locked thread