Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

johnny sack posted:

I wonder how much work it is to repair a plane that's been damaged like that and then to verify whether it is safe to fly again?

I'm not saying that plane is damaged beyond repair or anything. More like what is the procedure the airlines have in place to verify that some unrelated system wasn't damaged, somehow, by a truck driving literally into the plane.

I saw this post on reddit's /r/justrolled into the shop (trap sprung, I know,) and the guy who took the pic said the plane is quite likely a write off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
He's got a massive motor on there, so the chance of the blade binding is pretty slim. If it did somehow bind there's a good chance the tires would start to spin freely under the trapped blade he'd hear it. The best part of the blade being horizontal like that is that if it snaps it's ejected safely and predictably away from the machine.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

spacemang_spliff posted:

I know it was 30 pages ago, but how the hell did Ashley Furniture rack up 1,000 reportable injuries?

I mean, it's obvious that their management didn't give a poo poo (look at their response). Why would you buy anything from them? If they don't care about their employee health and safety, why would they care about quality?

Sure a lot of things can be an OSHA reportable, but the vast majority of the time it's stuff that's avoidable.

Having worked in a furniture plant that also made low quality furnishings, I'd take this with a grain of salt. We were told to report -any- injuries. You couldn't get a band aid from the first aid kit without filling out an official incident report. I understand where they're coming from, but it was ridiculous. We were working with unfinished wood and staple guns all day, so of course we'd get nicks and scratches all the time. The system didn't differentiate between someone having a piece of furniture fall on them and someone getting a splinter. Both incidents reflected negatively on your assembly line at review time and (I think) affected productivity bonus pay outs. So we just ended up bringing pocketfuls of band aids with us to avoid reporting minor bullshit.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

A gym near me has a bunch of treadmills that I assume are not grounded properly. If you run for a bit and then touch the control panel, heartbeat monitor interface, or brush against any metal on the chassis, you get a shock. The longer you run without touching anything, the more piss it will shock out of you when you finally do brush against a screwhead or something.

It's like a van de graaf generator where you're the big metal ball.

This is actually caused by worn out brushes in the treadmill. You're right in the Van De Graaf analogy, but typically treadmills mitigate this by having a series of copper brushes installed under the belt to ground it. These wear out with time and need to be replaced or you end up with the situation you're in.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Delta Echo posted:

Compared to the author using the wrong shoes or shuffling their feet, no. The scenario I imagine is novice runner wearing Pumas at 24 hour fitness. You know, the casual line of Pumas.

Treadmills are high impact for the exercise. Running is decent outdoors, but in a fitness club, ellipticals or stair machines are a better choice. That's why I say novice runner.

I'm just a skeptic and I could be wrong.

It depends on the treadmill but you'd be lucky to get two years out of one at a reasonably popular gym before the brushes need replacing. My dad runs a fitness equipment repair business and a lot of his calls are about either treadmill belts or the antistatic brushes. There was an office that bought a mid-range treadmill designed for home use and they blew though the brushes in less than six months. I can totally believe that a poorly maintained gym at a military facility has treadmills that are all worn out.

The solution? If no one's going to actually fix it, us an antistatic wristband to the metal hand rails. There's also an antistatic spray you can use on the belt but it's not very effective.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

PBRstreetgang posted:

My new job installing solar panels is delightfullly osha thread compliant...can anyone speak to proper roofing harness and ladder safety laws, because I'd really like to be safe on a roof but the guy showing me the job is this guy who eats two hotdogs a day and has almost fallen off a roof twice infront of me

Ladder safety isn't a law, but your ladder should be planted firmly and have a good angle to it. They make these hanger type things for ladders so you can lean them up against an eavestrough without collapsing the loving troughs. If your ladder is on grass, you'd be well served to put a sheet of plywood underneath. Tie off your ladder to the wall/roof if you can, leave a few rungs extended past the roof's edge so you have something to hang on to when you get back on to climb down.

You should be wearing a harness at all times while on a roof, that part is pretty much law. I'm guessing this would involve sinking an eyebolt or two into the joists so that you have something to clip your harness into. The lovely part is having to tar over the holes you've left to put the eyebolts into, and that's probably why nobody bothers with harnesses unless they're working for a big contractor. Can you imagine the massive costs employers would have to deal with when you add an extra $15-$20 to each job?!

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm talking about how [url=Sprinkler Water damage worse than fire after reviewing high-rise "minor" fire incident. http://downtownmtauburn.fox19.com/news/news/85591-firefighters-tackle-water-after-sprinkler-puts-out-fire]water damage[/url], depending on the circumstances, can sometimes be worse than the fire damage. I said nothing about rust.

The idiots that say "water damage is worse than fire" have lived in places that did shoddy repairs. You can't wet a building so bad it collapses into a pile of ash. Water will gently caress your day up if you don't take immediate action, though. After a sprinkler is activated you have to tear up the carpet and 3ft of drywall in any area that got wet and get in fuckoff huge air movers and run them for days. This all has to be done as soon as the first responders have cleared out or you'll have issues. If you're in an apartment you have to tear up the ceilings of the affected suites/areas below the water damaged places. The myth of water damage being worse than fire stems probably from condos where the tenants are slow to react and don't do any demolition work because it's too expensive then get surprised that their all-wood building is rotted as gently caress two years down the line.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Overwined posted:

words about fire

How old was the apartment? Also, the maintenance guy probably had the water shut off while he was doing repairs but his work sprung a leak once he turned the water back on. Happens all the time with copper pipe. How did the building get away with not having a fire alarm system?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Overwined posted:

I understand about the water not being off, but why was the power on? The breaker box for each apartment was in the utility room where the washer and dryer are anyway. It makes no sense.

Building was built in the late '80s, I'm told. It gets away without central alarm because this is a state that doesn't give a gently caress if some dirty renters die in a fire. They aren't required on many buildings. About two months later another fire broke out in another complex in town and 3 people perished. The city's reaction: silence.

Anyway, I vowed never to live in another complex again. The one I was living in was fairly well appointed, large and one would think upscale. But as always costs were being cut, just maybe not in ways you could see until something like this happened.

EDIT: We have a class-action suit against the gas management company going right now, but it looks like they are going to slide on procedural bullshit.

Leaks aren't always immediately apparent, especially if they happen in a wall. Say he had the power off while actually doing repairs. Dude thinks he's fixed it, turns water back on and walks away meanwhile there's water pissing everywhere. Also, those higher voltage outlets should be in a place where water can't easily flood them to begin with, and even if they do flood then the breakers should have tripped before a fire broke out. It sounds like there were multiple things wrong at once.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Mikl posted:

Workers started renovating my apartment building's roof today. Nothing says OSHA like five people walking on a 45-degrees sloped roof on top of a six-storey building without harnesses or safety ropes. (They did put safety nets around the edges of the roof, but those look extremely flimsy.)

Typically if you put up safety nets or railings around the edge of a roof you don't have to wear a harness.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

This was my first thought when I first heard of bitcoins in 2011 or whenever they first started. I have never received a satisfactory answer.

They're disrupitve, anonymous, fully traceable, antifragile, fungible, backed by math and employ blockchain technology, OK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
You loving goons are overreacting to that picture of the fire extinguisher. There's no way it's going to discharge by being used as a door stop. All that's going to happen is that eventually the hose will get worked loose and turn into a projectile when you go to put out a fire, or better yet some numbnut anchored the loving thing to drywall and it'll fall to the floor and break off the valve turning it into a completely harmless 25lb rocket.

• Locked thread