Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

From the schadenfreude thread, one of the most hair raising videos I've ever seen.

No violence, no death or serious injury, but it took my breath away.

I feel a hell of a lot more confident in my fall harness, now. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fasdar posted:

On that note: Does anyone know of a good site or guide regarding chemistry glassware - namely, why everything always looks so fragile and dangerous and yet somehow obviously purpose built?

A lot of them are blown glass, so they can't be too rugged. That's a big fuckoff ampoule, and those are usually pretty tough. You basically take a glass tube in an inert atmosphere, fill it with whatever you want, then torch off the end and let it cool to seal it. To open it, you snap off that bit at the neck and if it's well-made it'll be a clean break.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Separatory funnels were always a lot of fun in my chemistry classes. All the videos I can find involve people using them properly, I want to see one of the big fuckers explode from vapor pressure.

buttcoinbrony posted:

That design above just looks destined to fail though. Drop it onto the tip and the narrowest/smallest part of the glass has to take the load. I trust you that they're sturdier than they look, because they don't look very sturdy at all. :v:

I'm pretty sure they don't let you touch the $40,000 ampoule of pure caesium if you're the kind of person who's prone to the dropsies.

Nerses IV fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 11, 2015

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I came across this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC3o2KgQstA trying to find fun chemistry stuff.. Kind of makes that sulfuric acid + sugar trick look like babytown frolics.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase posted:

What happens to the pilots?

Heavenly judgment.

• Locked thread