Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

G-III posted:

CSB just put up a new video on youtube. God I love these things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbFzuS8Bdhw

Signage on the outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm surprised there's still people learning about degloving given that this thread has seen multiple occurrences of the phrase 'degloved penis' already.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Phanatic posted:

The AI forums is full of pictures of way worse welds than that done by people with functional equipment.

Yeah I'm impressed by that weld. It's so clean!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well this looks safe

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBi5ciuZcPE

:allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

wikihow is the gift that keeps on giving and doesn't stop giving even though you've asked it to do so repeatedly

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was wondering if they meant the fruit, or meant the mineral and drew the fruit.

quote:

Things You'll Need
Gasifier (309 stainless, flanged, ID, parts under pressure are Sch. 120)
1 24" x 30" "trashcan" (3" outlet in bottom with additional fitting for 6" pipe as a jacket)
2 6" x 12" pipe with (3) 1/2" taps in side 3" apart
1 9" x 12" pipe (2 caps, one with a 3" outlet tap in center and another 1/2" to the side)
1 9" in diameter 200 mesh screen
3 3" x 12" pipe
1 3" x 9" pipe
1 3" x 24" pipe
12 3" 90 degree bend
1 3" 4-way
2 3" Tee
1 6" cap
1 6" cap with
1 6" cap reducing to 3" OD
3 1/2" valve 600 psi/700 F (this is actually part of the water system)
1 9" x 12" with (2) 1/2" taps in the side
1 9" cap
1 9" cap with 1/2" tap
1 1/32" restrictor plate for 1/2" pipe
2 1/2" x 3"
2 1/2" x 8"
F-T (Std steel, Sch. 80)
1 10" x 60"
1 8" x 59.5"
24 1/2" x 59"
193 1/2" tee
192 1/2" 90 degree
192 1/2" x 1"
2 1" x 4"
2 1" 90 degree
2 1" > 1/2" adapter
1 1/2" x 36"
1 1/2" x 24"
1 1/2" x 24"
1 1/2" 90 degree
2 Pressure gauge to 600
2 Temperature to 1000
2 1" 300 mesh screens
1 8" 100 mesh screen
1 100 kg 200m iron filings, Separation (Sch 40)
2 1/2" x 12"
4 1/2" x 6"
4 1/2" x 36"
5 1/2" 90 degree
1 1/2" x 2"
1 6" x 12"
1 6" by 6"
1 6" to 1/2" cone
1 3/8" venturi
1 4.7 angstrom filter
1 1.8 angstrom filter
1 10-gallon storage tank Gas system (309, sch. 40)
1 500 PSI relief valve 3"
1 100 psi relief valve 1"
1 6" x 12" with 3" and (2) 1/2" taps in the side and a 1/8" and 1" tap next to each other and 90 degrees from the other 3 taps.
2 6" caps
1 1" x 60"
1 1/8" x 60"
1 3" x 48"
3 1/2" x 12"
1 1/2" 4 way
50 1/2" 3-way
50 1/2" gas nozzles with a 1/8" aperture
8 1/2" 90 degree
4 1/2" caps
(std)
2 1/2" (inlet and outlet) Gas regulator with 1.9mm venturi
2 1/2" x 24"
2 1/2" x 12"
4 1/2" 90 degree water system (309)
1 6" x 6"
2 6" caps with 1/2" taps
1 1/2" x 24"
1 1/2" x 12"
4 1/2" x 36"
1 3" x 6"
1 3" cap
1 3" cap with 1/2" tap
1 1/2" 500 psi check valve
1 1/2" x 6"
18 1/2" 90 degree
2 1/2" tee
1 1/2" x 60"
1 1/2" x 30" Catalyst maker (std)
1 6" x 36"
1 6" cap with 1/2" tap
1 6" cap with 1/2" tap and 2 1/4" taps
3 1/2" 90 degree
1 1/4" Temp gauge to 1000 F
1 1/4" Pressure gauge to 600 psi
6 1/2" tee
7 gas nozzles as per gas system
other equipment

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 23, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Article Info
Thanks to all the authors for contributing:
Amazon111, Amelia in the Forest, Kelethian, Maluniu, Zack, Ttrimm, Nickzeke, AsianLover, AutisticMajor, Spinarama, Davecrosby, Luv_sarah, Stealthy72, Garshepp, The Guy Who Hates Hating, Versageek, Jordan, Adelaide, Littlemisscherry82, Connor Fleming, Kristin012698, Kinga Oláh, Vilius, Tarlochan Singh

Categories:
Sustainable Living, Home and Garden

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's just a thermite weld. Pretty standard.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Now if you want OSHA look at the safety gear here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoV_49L1ZRI

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dude, look up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Mantis isnt terribly exciting to watch though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPmnJ11znOY

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you liked that, then you'll love this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbuN2jTdqdM

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm the chipmunk laugh after the shot.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

the plane got scared so they had to restrain it and cover its eyes to let it calm down

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And we're back on track.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was just reading that and the answer is 'you dont'.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0034-70942011000400013&script=sci_arttext&tlng=en

SUMMARY

quote:

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE: Glass ampoules have been widely used in packaging injection drugs. Glass has important characteristics that allow it to be widely used in fabrication of recipients for drugs and other sterile substances. However, contamination of solutions with glass microparticles on breaking open glass ampoules, the presence of metals, percutaneous injury, and biological contamination justify the need of educational materials to orient the manipulation of ampoules.

CONTENTS: Glass microparticles generated in the snap-opening of ampoules, as well as metals that contaminate their contents can be aspirated and injected through several routes. Exogenous contaminations by glass and metals can reach several sites in the organism. They trigger organic reactions that may give rise to injuries. Opening ampoules can expose professionals to the risk of percutaneous injuries. These lesions increase the biological risk as they are the gateway for viruses and bacteria. Ampoules opening systems (VIBRAC and OPC) have been developed to reduce the incidence of such accidents. Alternative materials to glass may represent an interesting strategy to increase safety. The use of prefilled syringes may represent an evolution regarding safety.

CONCLUSIONS: Team training and information provided by the pharmaceutical industry on the use of ampoules are fundamental in the prophylaxis of accidents and contaminations. The search for safer materials to replace glass is also important.

Contamination of ampoule contents with glass particles is common upon the opening of some types of ampoules. This has been observed and reported for a long time by the scientific community2. The small glass fragments may be injected through several administration routes. Anesthesiologists may administer these particles both intravascular and in the epidural and subarachnoid spaces. Glass particles may also carry some metals used in their manufacture1,3. Contamination by these tiny particles requires a long time for the development of injuries. Through animal studies, it was possible to demonstrate that infusion of glass microparticles resulted in pulmonary silicosis and nodular fibrosis of the liver, spleen, and the small bowel. These lesions resulted from mechanisms of foreign body reactions and embolisms4. It has been demonstrated that the main source of drug contamination by metals are their own packages. This is due to the migration of metal used in fabrication of ampoules into the recipient. Once exogenous contamination by metals (barium, aluminum, and others) occurs, they reach several sites in the organism5. Cellular defense mechanisms react to this aggression and as a consequence several toxic effects may be seen. The quality and intensity of the clinical manifestations are directly proportional to the toxic load and contamination time.

The number of glass microparticles that contaminate the solution in ampoules, upon opening, varies in proportion to the size of the ampoule and the opening orifice2. Strategies have been created in an attempt to avoid the administration of microparticles to patients. Some authors have investigated the use of filters in needles, as well as the use of smaller caliber needles. These studies did not demonstrate any evidence of protection. Nonetheless, it was possible to demonstrate that the use of filter syringe increased costs significantly, besides retaining some drugs, such as insulin and vincristine sulphate2,6,7. Some benefits on aspirating substances to be injected in the subarachnoid space have been demonstrated.

Approximately 6% of anesthesiologists had hand injuries from opening glass ampoules. Twenty-six per cent of these professionals had scars on their hands due to the same cause. With loss of continuity provoked by these injuries, skin contamination with blood and secretions allow a proper environment for the development of several infections13.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well yeah plastic isnt intert. The study I linked has more details on plastic as an alternative to ampoules and because it's not inert like glass it slowly reacts with drugs stored in it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Best part is 2:16.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is it just the one guy making all these videos, or is it like that taiwanese news station except for russian inventors

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkrO9uYF7Hs

lmao

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ah yeah let's just seal up this entire artery while we work inside.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

YOU HAVE A SHOVEL RIGHT THERE.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Can stealing those rolling stairs from Home Despot and putting some wood blocks on top be considered “construction”?

quote:

some guy on Reddit posted:
Not sure if here's the right place for this but our Landlord has stalled for months to fix stairs, gets 3 weeks while we're in mexico and leaves this garbage

So since like July he's been meaning to fix the stairs because they were to narrow. He asked for about 3 days to a week to work on them and we've been out of the house 2 other times for a week and he wouldn't do it. Now we were gone for 3 weeks and he did nothing because he doesn't want to pay to get it done and he's been doing it himself and we just got back and we have this to use. In the few times I went up and down to get the luggage I almost fell twice on this crap. He asked for 3 more days to finish it but I know he's not gonna do that and it's dangerous for my mom to carry my 8 month old sister down that to take my 3 younger siblings to school every morning. I'm not really sure if I can do anything about it but if there is any help would be great.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'built' by stacking them precariously

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

From this morning:

quote:

Victoria's work safety watchdog is investigating the rupture of a 1000-litre chemical tank that burst and sprayed burning acid on two factory workers in Melbourne's west.

One employee, a 30-year-old man, was covered in acrylic acid on his face, neck, chest and arms during the industrial accident on Tuesday morning.

"Thankfully he was wearing protective eyewear," an ambulance spokesman said.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or went snorkeling in Detroit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

His pain is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Imagine the smell.

• Locked thread