Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I know I said that the Kreosan kids were gonna go out in a blaze of glory, I didn't think I'd be this close to being right. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vb2zsNJSQs

Clearly insane. I love seeing them use the long stick to ignite the coke. Who wants to be that was a lesson learned personally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
That strikes me as a good example of that dangerous combination of some knowledge and not enough respect for risk.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Emy posted:

Are you implying suction doesn't go toward low pressure? I don't understand the distinction you're making here.

It's an interesting point. Do we determine which is which based on the total volume of the higher pressure gradient? Like if it's the inside of the plane you're blown out, but you're sucked into an engine intake?

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

7of7 posted:

This reminds me of the failed mountain climbers in the everest thread or the wing suit idiots. These people are such horrible people that they care more about some record or their stupid hobby than their loved ones. They completely deserve their fate, if only it didn't affect their loved ones.

You'd be hard pressed to have picked a worse example to harp on. Dave Shaw died trying to recover the body of a diver to return it to his family. Additionally, you're entitled to judge people who's ambitions aren't content with living safe lives but that doesn't make your opinion particularly correct. If not for people pushing both their own boundaries and the boundaries of what is considered possible a lot of what is now commonplace, like flying, would be out of the reach of humanity. We would all be poorer without pictures of the galaxy to marvel at, and astronauts had to risk their lives to fix Hubble to bring them to us. Daring to try dangerous things doesn't by default make them terrible people.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Heck, Houston doesn't exactly pay much heed to zoning either. Part of the gridlock issue in that city is commercial businesses being opened up in residential neighborhoods due to a lack of needing a zoning permit, or at least that's my understanding.

• Locked thread