Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I wonder how well it would've fared had they found tires the right size to fill the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Probably didn't have there seat belt on. Seat belts cost lives people!

Right, he probably didn't because he was towing a semi and trailer on a snowed to hell road. There was a non-zero chance of exactly what happened happening, chances are he was puckered up the whole time and ready to bail from the truck if so much as a hair on his arm twitched. The way that sucker rolled on its way down I'd bet he was done for if he rode it down, belted in or not.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 13, 2015

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dillbag posted:

Why not just use the parking brake??? That's what I did the the master brake cylinder went in my 86 Renault Alliance poo poo box. Well, at least until that went too. Not having breaking power for more than 2 seconds and having to stop on hills really teaches you how to expertly manipulate first gear.

Not all cars have hand levers for the parking/e brake. It's not so practical with floor pedal parking brakes with a hood-lever like release.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

We got my Explorer to the shop down the block that way, ya big baby.

Engine braking and very gentle clicking in on the ratchet, as the brakes developed a leak due to road debris cracking the line.

Yeah, it's doable but certainly not ideal. I had to limp a truck a few blocks to the closest Napa when the brakes went out in the middle of rush hour, it sucked but I did it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Even while not really conveying the exact hazard! Is that a record turntable causing the guy to spontaneously disassociate into gibs and gore?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Shock is a helluva thing, jesus christ.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

KernelSlanders posted:

Especially not another crane.

DraglineAssemblyFuckup.mov :v:

E: here it is https://youtu.be/Xrn6ellbtpc

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vernii posted:

Atomic Rocket is probably the type of site you'd enjoy, it covers a bunch of 60s-70s proposals for engines that were never built for good reason.

Oh so the mad scientists of the era were off designing :catstare: rocket engines instead of becoming supervillians.

Because goddamn that is one badass rocket.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ursine Asylum posted:

I wonder if there was a point to this x-ray, or if the intern with the ziplock bag full of arm just took a detour into radiology on the way to the incinerator for shits and giggles.

Knowing medical staff, they had a department wide pool running to guess how many shards that arm had been broken into.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fizbin posted:

I think that's a preexisting railing for the top of the stairs.

Yup, it's the hand-rail for the railing across the top of the stairwell. Wrapped up in paper to protect it from paint, I imagine.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bitcoin bastard posted:

So it is. How is he still alive then? A Lada should be a ball of scrap metal after that.

Sheer random luck? Karma? Was he the only guy in Russia to have stopped for a pedestrian (that was simply crossing the street, not one of the guys that throw themselves at passing cars for sweet, sweet insurance fraud)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

While it was burning down? Why didn't the press of people just trample the douchebag?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

VectorSigma posted:

Ten were in the kitchen, and I really wonder why nobody went into the cooler/freezer. Seems like that would be a pretty safe place to hole up, being metal and insulated and with a nice tight seal.

That really just sounds like a way to get stuck in a terrible pressure cooker until you die a slow broiled death.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Hydraulic pressure loss is a common failure on these systems, in which the guy is pretty much toast.

Typically a slow bleed over time as the machine is turned off, but still you wouldn't catch me under that fucker unless it was on some solid chocks. Fuuuuck that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

goodness posted:

Does this stuff have any effect on the wildlife?

A slower, more cancer filled death than burning alive in a firestorm.

Probably.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh great, you found a way to make a bubbling vat of poop even worse.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The answer to "Hey boss where do we store all this extra literal rocket fuel?" really shouldn't be "In a pile out back"

To be fair we did get a kickass video out of it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Lol your uncle owns

He's got his priorities straight. "Okay, survived the place blowing up, I need a fuckin drink."

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Champenema posted:

I rode this clanky old coaster at Cedar Point. At the end we didn't exactly brake and zipped through the loading area, unlocking all the safety bars.
We rounded the bend then back up the chain lift before they stopped it and came up to manually relock the bars (got to go again!).
Those were just simple steel bars flipping loosely. It would have been a real challenge to stay in the car like that.

Yeah see there's a point when you say "gently caress no I'm not going to give it another chance to fail" and get the gently caress off the ride. :stare:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The duct tape was in the case for all of 12 minutes before someone nabbed it for their stash, right?

Duct tape is like fuckin money in a crackhouse, I swear. It disappears as soon as you turn your back because everyone has a use for it and no one has any.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 15, 2015

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

jetz0r posted:

Wear a grounding anti-static bracelet to discharge yourself while using the treadmill.

Alternatively, zap people as they walk by. :science:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'd argue that directly down the axis of travel (literally between the rails) of the big fuckoff train is exactly where you shouldn't be.

I'd guess that the proper procedure is to gently bump into the next car and have a guy reach over the bumpers to attach the latch/collar thing he puts on, not have the train come flying in like that. But doing it right slows things down sooooo get in there, you big pussy.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

As a professional pipe layer, the only real problem with this is the actual excavation. Spill pile should be a meter away from the edge and there isn't a trench box or any sloping. Also he should be back filling normal to the trench and not parallel. Plus you usually wanna put sand on top of the pipe but that might just be gas pipelines, I don't work with water or sewers much (looks like a water main).

So its fine except that he's standing in a death trap :v:

But yeah fine gravel bedding is typically used, I haven't seen sand used on any pipe work (primarily water, sewer, utility, not much gas) I've been around but I'm usually done with my part of the work by the time the pipe layers show up.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I thought this was funny too. It's fine except for everything.

I used to be gofer for a well digging/waterpipe company for a couple summers and those dudes were the most unsafe people I've ever worked with. I mean you use nasty acids and such to clean wells and these dudes would open these big barrels of that poo poo and not wear any masks/protection at all. You'd think all the coughing fits they had would be an indicator that they are loving idiots.

One of my uncles recently died from Frontal Temporal Lobe dementia. It was super loving sad watching this big, strong, smart, funny guy waste away as the light went out of his eyes. He never drank or smoked, no family history. The docs believe it was due to long term exposure to nasty pesticides and other chemicals over his lifetime as a rancher, likely without any real protective gear pretty much ever.

So yeah, put on the PPE when dealing with nasty chemicals.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Uthor posted:

See, and I was going to say "Dynamite".

I'm biased cause that is what I do, but yeah, its way cooler than using lame old machines. :colbert:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

hahahahaha gently caress that.

No. Nope. Nuh uh. No fuckin way.

Really my question is why, are they pioneering a road out across that? I don't know if I'd trust the soil to be solid enough to hold a road up, but the hoe hasn't fallen off yet so..

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Why is everyone's instinct to seeing a metal cylinder to put it in their pocket and take it home??

Neat poo poo? I've pocketed all kinds of neat little things at work, mostly cool looking rocks but a few old bolts or nuts or whatever too.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'd really rather not go swimming in those polluted as gently caress rivers either, so I can't blame them.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I highly doubt they put that up themselves. It's probably a relic of some industrial site or a valley spanning tram line or radio antenna or who the hell knows, its Russia. But to run a cable like that popular methods include: Tying that bitch to a rocket and shooting it across as well as the much less metal "hook it to a helicopter and fly it over" and more mundane ways like "cut a path along the valley floor, pull the cable then tighten it"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

E: oh new page. RE: avionics lets the airline not train pilots how to recover from a stall.

This kind of reasoning and trust in the machines is why my roommate got the back and rear side Windows of his car tinted to blackout curtain levels. Because he has a backup camera now :downs:

Now I'm just waiting for him to back onto something. Or get ticketed for the abyss black Windows.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 2, 2015

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

FIRST TIME posted:

Now I can't help but picture someone who just installed a backup camera going to town on their back window with a couple of cans of black Krylon.

That would be great but sadly not quite. it's a new car with a factory camera and a legit installed limo level tint on all glass rear of the b pillar. I just doubt the wisdom of going for "I can see vague shapes"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

We all know that the first thing a skilled worker does when it encounters a stop bar is add duct tape "this fuckin thing's just slowing me down, it always turns off the machine because it thinks im some new idiot but ive been doing this for 35 years and havent screwed up yet"

*beat*

*buzzsaw sound, bloodcurdling scream*

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Taeke posted:

How does that mechanism work? Like, when you let go of the bar it stops? Because I can totally see someone panicking and keeping hold of the bar, or trying to pull themselves out with it... you know, until it's too late.

Technically not unsafe my rear end.

Reading that OSHA thing one post up it appears that they stop the machine when the bar gets pushed forwards (towards the hungry maw of mechanical teeth)

Actually the full OHSHIT mode of that top-bar only reverses the feed rollers, it doesn't say anything about braking or stopping the jaws of death.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I can understand an automatic squirrel puree trap, but what'd those poor birds do :ohdear:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

TBH there is plenty of leverage there. Shouldn't take more than 100 lbs or so to hold that thing in place.

Physics be damned I'm not going to trust my life on a pile of haphazardly stacked sandbags are you loving insane.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It's still a good couple of feet at least from the top stair of the HD ladder to the platform above. So they built some intermediate steps out of whatever scrap wood was lying around.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Good point. They moved their pile of worthless scrap wood to the top of the new stairs.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GotLag posted:

Do those emergency stops engage the brakes or do they just cut the power? Will they be able to tow it or will they have to cut that pillar?

On all large construction equipment I've seen it shuts the motor down immediately. They'll probably just bypass the emergency shutoff to get it moved away.

And then never fix it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alternatively, give a mechanic 5 minutes and it'll never happen again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My first thought :allears:

• Locked thread