Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SaNChEzZ posted:

Bringing back the tire chat

I can't really tell what's going on here, other than that it looks like something bad happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

The dog is just, like, HI SUP I'M IN SPACE

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

spud posted:

My dad is a retired Aircraft Engineer, and whilst I'm sure this a rather sweeping (and racist?) statement, he told me that generally the Asian Airlines "Just don't loving maintain them, to save money".

The problem with Asian airlines is more usually training than maintenance. You will see Asian airlines putting flight crews on 737s that have fewer hours than a King Air pilot at an American regional might have - way below FAA minimums let alone industry standard.

My father recently completed a four-year stint as a 737 captain for Air India (he turned 60 before the FAA started letting you work until you're 65). Air India hires a large number of expat pilots and pairs them with native ones (because the native pilots are too young and inexperienced to fly).To hear him tell it, in India at least, the local pilots Air India hires are all the younger sons and daughters of Indian officials who have been given a sinecure at the national airline, and most of them received their ATP certifications from a diploma mill and have fewer than 300 hours in the air.

He further advises that, if you travel in the region, you use SpiceJet as their hiring practices are closer to the worldwide standard.

This gets especially dire for Air India because they keep forcing the expat pilots to fly as soon as they get back from visiting home (pilots coming off a 20+ hour flight from the US or Europe being called up to go fly, which is illegal but their jobs are threatened if they don't do it). The last guy who knuckled under to the airline's demands and flew while tired was a friend of Dad's; he crashed during a difficult approach in mountainous terrain and killed 180 people.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The OSHA violation is that you're supposed to wear goggles when viewing that potbellied, dong-exposing idiot?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Angela Christine posted:

They do nothing.

:vince: :perfect:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Enourmo posted:

Dunno about those early prototypes, but modern RTGs absorb all the energy released from decay and convert it into heat, so by design they don't emit any radiation whatsoever. And it's mostly alpha radiation to begin with, so if you have a functional skin layer you're fine.

The only real danger is the case being ruptured and spilling whatever isotopes into the environment (radiation aside they're generally toxic just on the chemical level), but that's pretty unlikely in a lab environment as shown.

Just wait until you have to dig one up on Mars to get home!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Three-Phase posted:

The drawback is that the AFCI basically needs a little microprocessor to determine if an arc is occurring (where as with a ground fault circuit interrupter it's extremely easy to measure current in versus current out), so they're expensive and I've heard lots of people have problems with false-positive trips.

My parents recently remodeled their kitchen, and it has these. Aggrievating as gently caress when those things trip for no reason on a wall outlet, and some appliance on the other side of the room quits working and you have no idea which one is the culprit.

• Locked thread