Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Sleep inside a steel sphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

haveblue posted:

IIRC the original idea was to improve airport logistics by separating airframe maintenance from passenger handling, the emergency features must have been designed (badly) around that.

I thought that was an entirely separate patent filed by an actual airplane manufacturer, and the idea was maintenance as you said but also to improve turnaround times at airports by just having all passenger boarding being done before the plane even lands, the module in the airport terminal is swapped with the one on the plane while it refuels, and then the plane leaves as the previous passengers disembark. And it didn't involve ejecting the passengers at all.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 29, 2016

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

I thought it was just some bullshit a design student thought up

Oh yeah, that video is definitely unrelated except for the general idea. I was talking about this: http://www.wired.com/2015/11/airbus-patents-detachable-cabins-to-cut-plane-boarding-times/

Then again, I get the feeling they saw this and said "but what if it ejected and had parachutes?"

Icedude fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 29, 2016

• Locked thread