Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Companies knew about issues with asbestos in like the 1920s and it didn't get banned until the early 80s I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Syncopated posted:

is it a landslide or what?

The video quality kind of sucks, but I figured it could be ice/frost heaving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frost_heaving

Essentially you get a huge amount of pressure from flowing water freezing and shoving the earth around.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

OSI bean dip posted:

Seems awfully high for a truck.

Doesn't look like it would be that much higher than a trailer.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

I'm looking to get into HVAC, because I'm a giant poo poo. Will OSHA be my greatest enemy... or my greatest ally???

I am currently in HVAC as a project manager. How much you even need to worry about OSHA depends on what part of the business you're getting into. In general though OSHA is your friend and they are around to keep you safe. Major general contractors across the US all have more stringent safety measures than OSHA does anyway. If you're planning to own/run an HVAC business then you might hate OSHA because there will be paperwork and records to keep that need to get reported in to OSHA on a regular basis.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

PBRstreetgang posted:

My new job installing solar panels is delightfullly osha thread compliant...can anyone speak to proper roofing harness and ladder safety laws, because I'd really like to be safe on a roof but the guy showing me the job is this guy who eats two hotdogs a day and has almost fallen off a roof twice infront of me

You'll probably want to read this.

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3755.pdf

Ladders are definitely covered under OSHA. You need to make sure that your ladder extends three feet (essentially three rungs) above the surface you're stepping on to, and it should be tied off to keep it from moving. Make sure you know the proper angle to put up the ladder too. OSHA requires fall protection once you're 10 feet above the ground, although this may be different if you're classified as a roofer. I don't remember exactly, but OSHA allows for different fall protection rules for steel works and roofers I believe. You will need to be tied off if you're on the roof, since I guarantee you'll be over 10'. This doesn't apply if there is a guard rail, or a parapet wall that is at least 42" high. Good luck getting your employer to do this stuff though, I know most local roofing companies pretty much never abide by this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

SlipUp posted:

Why the gently caress was there a daycare nearby?? Do these people think zoning laws are infringing on their freedoms or what??

Texas barely knows what the word zoning means.

• Locked thread