Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
http://news.yahoo.com/chile-leader-visits-ailing-14-old-wants-end-215510390.html

The article is about a 14-year old Chilean girl who wants Euthanasia because she has CF. You have obviously fought quite a bit to stay alive with CF, so what do you think of this?

IAmThatIs fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Was the Bronchiolis Obliterans a common complication of a lung transplant or was it just something that happened completely unrelated?

It's basically chronic rejection and pretty much inevitable for lungs.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

IAmThatIs posted:

http://news.yahoo.com/chile-leader-visits-ailing-14-old-wants-end-215510390.html

The article is about a 14-year old Chilean girl who wants Euthanasia because she has CF. You have obviously fought quite a bit to stay alive with CF, so what do you think of this?

I support death with dignity but her age makes it complicated. I don't know the wishes of her parents or the extent of her condition. Cystic Fibrosis is an incredibly variable disease. They say it 'used to' be a childhood disease, but it can still be extreme enough to be lethal to some little ones. As an example from my own life, I know a man with CF who was born in 1969. He only needed his first transplant in 2011. Meanwhile my sister was born in 1977 and her condition was severe enough that she didn't make it past the age of 6.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Oh yay! I remember your other threads! I am happy to see you are doing well!

I hope you knock your wife up hard cause I bet she'd be an awesome mom. You would make good parents!

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 4, 2015

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I was sad when I would look at a/t and would see your thread hadn't been updated in forever.

This is so awesome, you are awesome, keep being awesome.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 6, 2015

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Turpitude posted:

I support death with dignity but her age makes it complicated. I don't know the wishes of her parents or the extent of her condition. Cystic Fibrosis is an incredibly variable disease. They say it 'used to' be a childhood disease, but it can still be extreme enough to be lethal to some little ones. As an example from my own life, I know a man with CF who was born in 1969. He only needed his first transplant in 2011. Meanwhile my sister was born in 1977 and her condition was severe enough that she didn't make it past the age of 6.

So your parents already knew they were carriers. Did they give any thought to things like adoption? Or did they make a conscious decision to roll the dice again? Do you have any other siblings? Do you know how they took your diagnosis given that it was their second time around and (I assume) an informed decision? Any "regrets" on their part or would they do things differently?

I'm interested in this type of decision making process when there is such a high chance of something going wrong. I think the stakes are much lower nowadays given the availability of early genetic testing.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

potatoducks posted:

So your parents already knew they were carriers. Did they give any thought to things like adoption? Or did they make a conscious decision to roll the dice again? Do you have any other siblings? Do you know how they took your diagnosis given that it was their second time around and (I assume) an informed decision? Any "regrets" on their part or would they do things differently?

I'm interested in this type of decision making process when there is such a high chance of something going wrong. I think the stakes are much lower nowadays given the availability of early genetic testing.

Second time around was indeed an informed decision. The math is that if both parents are carriers, they have a 25% chance of the child having CF. So they threw the d4 again and had a second child with CF. It was scary for them at first but I did much better than my sister from an early age. At birth, my doctors told my parents that I was going to outlive them. My mom was in a panic and immediately grieving when I was born with the disease, but things settled down and I had a pretty stress free childhood, with no hospitalizations until age 12 when I needed a sinus polyp removed. I grew up in the shadow of my deceased big sister and played with her toys, and her passing made my parents love and care for me even more. I guess I was what they called a rainbow baby?

My mom says she has no regrets and wouldn't change a thing. I have a feeling my dad feels the same way. I look forward to giving them the gift of a grandchild, and hopefully I will outlive them both!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Small update: I did some sleuthing and discovered the identity of my second donor, whose lungs are currently in my body. He was a young man (a few years younger than me) who suffered a vehicle related head trauma and ended up donating his organs. He was kind and loving and his main bucket list wish was to get married and have kids, which I am pursuing. I truly wish I could offer the family some comfort, but I am not going to approach them other than to perhaps sending a second letter in late May, for my 2 year lungiversary.

Also, my memoir writing prof said I should try to publish my second assignment, which makes me very happy!

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
First, congratulations. I just finished reading the memoir that you uploaded, and it is both moving and insightful.

I'm just starting my career as a surgeon (not transplant) -- is there anything that your doctors said to you that you found particularly helpful or harmful?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I'm sure this has already been asked, but can you as an organ recipient be an organ donor?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Soylent Yellow posted:

I'm sure this has already been asked, but can you as an organ recipient be an organ donor?

Given that CF affects all his body's tissues, I'm not sure if his organs would be acceptable regardless of whether he'd received fresh lungs.

(I'm also not sure about blood donation.)

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?
i feel bad for just smoking a cigarette

beckyogg
Jul 12, 2006

My lungs don't work. Now it's time to sing!
I'm glad you're doing well, it's always nice to see another CFer surviving and living well despite the crap that we have to wade through.

Before the new lungs, did you find that stuff that irritated normal people's lungs also irritated yours, like pollen or mildew? I'm beginning to suspect that my parents' house may be full of mold, because I keep feeling crappier whenever I go visit them, but I've never really encountered mold in any other circumstance where I could do a comparison.

Also, sorry to pump you for information, do you have any CF forums or whatever that you frequent that was more inclined toward adult patients than towards parents? I don't know about you, but I find most online communities that have the parents of CFers involved start to skew heavily towards manic hopefulness and constant "God Bless!" and "praying for our child!" and "every day is a blessing", which rubs me the wrong way for various reasons.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

beckyogg posted:

I'm glad you're doing well, it's always nice to see another CFer surviving and living well despite the crap that we have to wade through.

Before the new lungs, did you find that stuff that irritated normal people's lungs also irritated yours, like pollen or mildew? I'm beginning to suspect that my parents' house may be full of mold, because I keep feeling crappier whenever I go visit them, but I've never really encountered mold in any other circumstance where I could do a comparison.

Also, sorry to pump you for information, do you have any CF forums or whatever that you frequent that was more inclined toward adult patients than towards parents? I don't know about you, but I find most online communities that have the parents of CFers involved start to skew heavily towards manic hopefulness and constant "God Bless!" and "praying for our child!" and "every day is a blessing", which rubs me the wrong way for various reasons.

Hey beckyogg! Glad to see you are still kicking too!

It's tough to say whether pollen or mildew irritated my lungs, since I was coughing all the time anyway. I am not sure how much mold I was exposed to. There are definitely small amounts of mold in my house but afaik I've never had problems with it. If you are noticing a correlation between lung gunk (or just feelings of fatigue/illness) and your parents house then you should probably trust your body, though. Maybe have a specific room that is cleaned and bleached, and buy one of those HEPA air filters to run full time around your visit.

The only CF forums I visited was a few years ago, but they were on livejournal and not *that* adult, but was parent free. http://cystic-fibrosis.livejournal.com/ It looks kinda dead now, though. There may be some facebook groups... my wife is in one for wives of people with CF. I dunno about reddit.

If there isn't one, I would be up for starting a forum with you :) I have lots of contacts I could drag in to post a thing or two.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Hey Turpitude, I read your incredible old threads and tried to find them again recently but couldn't. Just to chime in and say that I'm so, so glad you're still here and doing well! You're an inspiration man.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

TURP! :neckbeard:

Glad to see you're still kicking rear end and taking names. Like others, once the original thread didn't get updated for awhile, I assumed the worst. I've never been so happy to be wrong.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Tomberforce posted:

Hey Turpitude, I read your incredible old threads and tried to find them again recently but couldn't. Just to chime in and say that I'm so, so glad you're still here and doing well! You're an inspiration man.

some texas redneck posted:

TURP! :neckbeard:

Glad to see you're still kicking rear end and taking names. Like others, once the original thread didn't get updated for awhile, I assumed the worst. I've never been so happy to be wrong.

Thanks guys! It's very good to be alive. I have a link to the old thread in the OP of this one, not sure if works.

---

I have published my second and third memoir assignments to medium.com here: https://medium.com/@jreimer23/ They both tie in with my transplant experiences. I am going to seek publication for the second one though I need to work on it some more. The third is getting peer reviewed with my classmates tomorrow. I wrote that one in a very short amount of time and was really sick. It needs some fleshing out.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Turpitude posted:

I have published my second and third memoir assignments to medium.com here: https://medium.com/@jreimer23/

You are incredible. I don't think I can say anything else.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Effexxor posted:

Jesus, those pics. I'd thought Figure1 had desensitized me, but nope. Glad you survived and are doing better. Also, your cats are freaking awesome and I would enjoy more pictures of them.

I was also wondering, how isolating does it feel to have CF? I've heard that people with CF aren't really supposed to be around other people with CF due to risk of infection and man, that sounds kind of depressing. Granted, the internet and Skype probably helps a lot but still, it seems kind of sad to know that there are people that are physically dangerous to go near who are going through the same thing that you are.

Turpitude posted:

3 out of 5 of my chest tubes, post second transplant:

gently caress man. In 2012 I was in the hospital for a month and ended up having surgery on my left lung. I had one of those loving things--a chest tube--and I was in so much pain the maximum dose of dualadid did nothing for me. I was literally so miserable I more than once thought that dying might have been better...

All this is to say, you are an incredibly strong person for having endured all of that and simultaneously stayed so positive. You're literally God like in my estimation for this.

Edit:

Your first transplant developed popcorn lung. Weird.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 26, 2015

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Jeherrin posted:

You are incredible. I don't think I can say anything else.

Thank you. If you have any ideas of things I should write about, let me know.

ZombieLenin posted:

gently caress man. In 2012 I was in the hospital for a month and ended up having surgery on my left lung. I had one of those loving things--a chest tube--and I was in so much pain the maximum dose of dualadid did nothing for me. I was literally so miserable I more than once thought that dying might have been better...

All this is to say, you are an incredibly strong person for having endured all of that and simultaneously stayed so positive. You're literally God like in my estimation for this.

Edit:

Your first transplant developed popcorn lung. Weird.

Haha, thank you. And yeah, "popcorn lung" is the same condition, bronchiolitis obliterans, but I can assure you all that I was *not* huffing microwave popcorn between transplants.

The only thing worse than having a chest tube is having it pulled out. One time I was half awake and two doctors came into my room and decided to pull out two of them at the same time. First they pull what seems like 4 feet of thick tubing out of a small hole between your ribs, which feels like being stabbed with a spear in reverse, and then they haul on the stitches with all their might, leaving you with a puckered, burning injury tied in a little black bow.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Hell Gem

Turpitude posted:

I can assure you all that I was *not* huffing microwave popcorn between transplants.
You don't have to hide the truth here. This is a safe space.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Turpitude posted:

Bipap a few months before my second transplant; I have no memory of this:

First few days in the ICU, I was intubated:

ECMO going into the artery at my shoulder. You can see here that the tube was bent, which led to the whole circuit being replaced later.

Multiple IVs, ECMO, Ventilator, and vital sign monitors:

3 out of 5 of my chest tubes, post second transplant:

OP have you considered that we are all in The Matrix and these pictures are from when you "woke up?"

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
Have you seen this section of the Guardian before?
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/series/experience

I'm sure if you emailed them they'd be pretty drat interested in your story. I've no idea if you have to write it yourself or if they just interview you but it is worth checking out.

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009

Turpitude posted:

The only thing worse than having a chest tube is having it pulled out. One time I was half awake and two doctors came into my room and decided to pull out two of them at the same time. First they pull what seems like 4 feet of thick tubing out of a small hole between your ribs, which feels like being stabbed with a spear in reverse, and then they haul on the stitches with all their might, leaving you with a puckered, burning injury tied in a little black bow.

Huh. I had four of those originally and the main discomfort was them poking the inside of my back, which seemed like a constant but mild back pain and made sleeping harder. At one point (a week after the surgery or so? maybe, who knows) I even told that I don't need any pain medication because I wasn't hurting anywhere and didn't want to swallow any more pills. Not sure if they obliged, or if I had any IV pain killers at that point. Can't even remember whether this was before or after the tubes were pulled out, but in any case that was more weird and fascinating than uncomfortable. Some time (hours, days? it's all a blur) after the four were removed, they thought I hadn't been perforated enough and inserted one through my back. Didn't mind it going in or out.

Now bronchoscopy, that's horrible. Mainly because I have a very sensitive throat.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
such a strange t shirt... what could it mean? :confused:

beckyogg
Jul 12, 2006

My lungs don't work. Now it's time to sing!
Congrats! That's so awesome that you've managed to catch pregnant! Now you're going to have to figure out how to child-proof everything and hide your meds in a lockable cabinet. Good luck with your reproduction.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Yay! :dance:

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Thanks guys :) We got pregnant on the first try with ICSI. I had to get my testicles biopsied to retrieve the sperm which was very painful, but it was even worse for Adena because the hormones were not kind to her! We are very lucky to not have to do that again. We also have several frozen, high quality embryos if we ever want to make another!

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Congratulations, Turp! I was glued to your old thread, so it's awesome to see that things are finally going your way :)

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Yay! Now you have to start hanging out in the preggo thread :3:

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Preemptive welcome to the pregnancy and then parenthood threads! I had to read your shirt twice to get it. Nice job for the both of you!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Turpitude posted:

Thanks guys :) We got pregnant on the first try with ICSI. I had to get my testicles biopsied to retrieve the sperm which was very painful, but it was even worse for Adena because the hormones were not kind to her! We are very lucky to not have to do that again. We also have several frozen, high quality embryos if we ever want to make another!

Congratulations Turp. Sorry about your balls.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

That is so awesome!!! Congrats!!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Dick Trauma posted:

Congratulations Turp. Sorry about your balls.

Thank you Dick Trauma, it means a lot coming from you

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
This is a cool thread, and I just want to thank you for the glorious imaginative exercise it was to think about almost shedding your mortal coil to the hallucinated sound of IIIIIII LIKE BIG BUTTS AND I CANNOT LIE

Now I know what I want to be played at my funeral.

Keep breathing that sweet, sweet air OP.

loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.
This is gonna sound like a weird question but you already answered anything else I would have asked:

So, obviously if this is too personal ignore me, but if you don't have a vas deferens does that mean you basically ejaculate liquid with no sperm in it? Is that a noticeably different colour or texture to semen with sperm?

Aside from any of that congratulations, and you have prompted me to double check my organ donor registration since I'm not sure if it's valid if my driving license with it on has expired. Obviously I hope I don't randomly die between now and getting a new license (or for some considerable time after that) but if I do it ought to at least have a chance of contributing to the continued existence of someone like you.

My blood is garbage to donation people but I bet I have some usable bits in here somewhere.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

loki k zen posted:

This is gonna sound like a weird question but you already answered anything else I would have asked:

So, obviously if this is too personal ignore me, but if you don't have a vas deferens does that mean you basically ejaculate liquid with no sperm in it? Is that a noticeably different colour or texture to semen with sperm?

Aside from any of that congratulations, and you have prompted me to double check my organ donor registration since I'm not sure if it's valid if my driving license with it on has expired. Obviously I hope I don't randomly die between now and getting a new license (or for some considerable time after that) but if I do it ought to at least have a chance of contributing to the continued existence of someone like you.

My blood is garbage to donation people but I bet I have some usable bits in here somewhere.

The most important thing re: being a donor is letting your next of kin know your wishes. You want them to be like, "our dead son always did say he wanted to be a donor" if the time comes that they have to make that decision.

I don't have any experience with other men's spunk other than what I've seen in porn so I can't speak to texture. But yeah, all I ejaculate is seminal fluid and it is clear rather than cloudy looking.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Did your wife undergo any genetic testing?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

potatoducks posted:

Did your wife undergo any genetic testing?

Yep, she is clear of the most common CF mutations that make up approx. 99.5% of the disease population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.

Turpitude posted:

The most important thing re: being a donor is letting your next of kin know your wishes. You want them to be like, "our dead son always did say he wanted to be a donor" if the time comes that they have to make that decision.

I don't have any experience with other men's spunk other than what I've seen in porn so I can't speak to texture. But yeah, all I ejaculate is seminal fluid and it is clear rather than cloudy looking.

Thanks, I'll make sure my fiance and parents know to say that.

Thanks for answering also. Sounds like this guy I dated who was infertile but idk what his deal was, not CF anyway.

• Locked thread