Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Was the Bronchiolis Obliterans a common complication of a lung transplant or was it just something that happened completely unrelated?

It's basically chronic rejection and pretty much inevitable for lungs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Turpitude posted:

I support death with dignity but her age makes it complicated. I don't know the wishes of her parents or the extent of her condition. Cystic Fibrosis is an incredibly variable disease. They say it 'used to' be a childhood disease, but it can still be extreme enough to be lethal to some little ones. As an example from my own life, I know a man with CF who was born in 1969. He only needed his first transplant in 2011. Meanwhile my sister was born in 1977 and her condition was severe enough that she didn't make it past the age of 6.

So your parents already knew they were carriers. Did they give any thought to things like adoption? Or did they make a conscious decision to roll the dice again? Do you have any other siblings? Do you know how they took your diagnosis given that it was their second time around and (I assume) an informed decision? Any "regrets" on their part or would they do things differently?

I'm interested in this type of decision making process when there is such a high chance of something going wrong. I think the stakes are much lower nowadays given the availability of early genetic testing.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Did your wife undergo any genetic testing?

• Locked thread