Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Piper posted:

I'm pretty sure Allenby just got into a drunken argument with some homeless, got beaten up and then they took his wallet. Why he would make up the whole kidnapping story is beyond me. Claiming the FBI was investigating it is even more baffling.

Anybody that plays on the PGA tour should be able to get out of this lie. There's a couple theories about this but they've already figured out a hole in one of them.

Wah wah waaaaaaaaaah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Apparently that was a dead tooth. Which raises the question, why didn't he have it replaced all this time?

Playing tomorrow for the first time in close to a month, first time with my new 915 woods. Should be 55* when I tee off and 60* and mostly sunny for most of the round.
Trip report. Ball striking wasn't great today though my short game was magic. Putting is still a shitfest.

Regarding my new 915 woods, I did hit one drive on an uphill par 5 that left me 50 yards closer to the hole than I usually am on a good shot. That's promising. I also ended up increasing the loft - previously tuned down to 7.75*, I put it back to the stock 8.5*.

I didn't get to hit the fairway woods much, but they do seem a touch longer than the 913s.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I went to Scottsdale recently and played some golf there at three different courses. You couldn't walk any of them (one would have been very practical to walk but it was Not Allowed).

What's up with the dudes in polo shirts that go up to your bag and start wiping down your clubs when you bring the cart in?

I'm glad I'm back in California, played Cinnabar Mountain/Canyon today.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sarehu posted:

I went to Scottsdale recently and played some golf there at three different courses. You couldn't walk any of them (one would have been very practical to walk but it was Not Allowed).

What's up with the dudes in polo shirts that go up to your bag and start wiping down your clubs when you bring the cart in?
You know the stereotype of homeless people randomly washing your windshield at a red light in hopes that you'll give them some money?

This is the golf equivalent.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

You know the stereotype of homeless people randomly washing your windshield at a red light in hopes that you'll give them some money?

This is the golf equivalent.

hahaha I love this and it's a fantastic analogy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://deadspin.com/witness-robert-allenby-hurt-himself-after-a-trip-to-th-1681127848

quote:

Two homeless people who came into contact with Allenby that night have already disputed major details in his story. Now a third, Chris Khamis, is claiming that Allenby's facial injuries were not the result of a beating, but of Allenby drunkenly passing out and bashing his own face on a lava rock. Moments earlier, Allenby apparently told Khamis that he had just come from a strip club, where he had been hoping to "get some action," and believed that he had been drugged.

This is my favorite golf-related story in years :allears:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
He is going to get abused at this years President's Cup. What a grade A douche.

I would be entirely sympathetic if he said "Well, I played bad in a tournament, went to go have a few drinks, and I either drank too much or I drank alot and or possibly got drugged. But I fell face first into some lava rocks and this is the result. Kid's don't do this".

But to make up this story?

THAT is what makes him a grade A douche.

Tide fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 23, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You know you're a golf addict when you don't dream about playing golf, you dream about equipment.

I woke up this morning and realized it was actually a dream that I went to a store, looking for a Diamana Blue to test on a launch monitor to see whether I needed more spin with my driver.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

You know you're a golf addict when you don't dream about playing golf, you dream about equipment.

I woke up this morning and realized it was actually a dream that I went to a store, looking for a Diamana Blue to test on a launch monitor to see whether I needed more spin with my driver.

well don't leave us hanging, how did Dream Lyman hit it?

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DJExile posted:

310 with a butter cut no doubt

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

That was the worst part. I couldn't find one to test! :gonk:

zinc68 posted:

310 with a butter cut no doubt
315 with a slight draw :smug:

(Nutted on firm fairways only)

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
Lyman, What shaft do you have now?

It is time for me to re-load my bag with Taylor Made equipment but we don't have a fitting cart at my course. Hopefully the fitting shaft charts treat me well. I am gonna miss my R9 TP B stamps.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Just say no to fitting charts. Drop the extra $100 or whatever to get a fitting done.

Also, I hit the TM MC irons and thought they were terrible, but I heard the drivers and woods are supposed to be great.

Josh Lyman, what are your trackman stats? I find it hard to believe you'd need more spin given your swing speed.

tminz
Jul 1, 2004
Anyone going to the Waste Management? I went two years ago on Saturday and it was a mad house, can't imagine what it will be like this year. I think I'm gonna go early on Saturday again--try to watch some golf early on in the day and then just join the party.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

tminz posted:

Anyone going to the Waste Management? I went two years ago on Saturday and it was a mad house, can't imagine what it will be like this year. I think I'm gonna go early on Saturday again--try to watch some golf early on in the day and then just join the party.
With Tiger and the Super Bowl in town, I can only imagine the shitfest. :getin:

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

With Tiger and the Super Bowl in town, I can only imagine the Titfest. :getin:

Agreed!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

With Tiger and the Super Bowl in town, I can only imagine the shitfest. :getin:

Are we going with the theory that he's only playing because he's got tickets to the Super Bowl?

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I know people are gonna hate me for asking this and tell me to get an instructor, and I plan to, but during these cold winter months I want a good book to explain the concepts behind a solid, repeatable golf swing. What are the best ones?

Some poking around, mostly on GolfWRX, has led me to these:

Impact Zone
Swing For Life
Ben Hogan's Five Lessons
Golf My Way
Best Instruction Book Ever
Swing Like a Pro
Swing Machine Golf (Paul Wilson)
8 Step Swing
The Swing Factory
The Plane Truth (Jim Hardy)

Summit fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 29, 2015

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I enjoyed Hogan's Five Lessons, it's a good read and using a professional's swing as inspiration for your own is never a bad idea. But yes, take lessons. Your instructor can fix in five minutes what would otherwise take you two hours of reading and two months of swinging to fix.

It's not exactly a "repeatable swing book", but I also really liked Harvey Penick's Little Red Book.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

tminz posted:

I went on Saturday in 2008, the last time the Superbowl was in town, and it was insane there.

Attendance today was 118K, which is at least 30K more than the previous attendance record there, so yeah, it's loving nuts for a golf tournament.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

You know, I really shouldn't/can't complain about being able to golf right now, but the "winter" rates that courses are charging right now are outrageous. Courses that I can play April-November for $15-25 are upwards of $50-70 right now. Stupid snowbirds!

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

mattfl posted:

You know, I really shouldn't/can't complain about being able to golf right now, but the "winter" rates that courses are charging right now are outrageous. Courses that I can play April-November for $15-25 are upwards of $50-70 right now. Stupid snowbirds!

Hi fellow Florida buddy. I've been relegated to driving range and putting green rat :(

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Jordan Spieth managed to hit the house he is staying in with a shot.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

tminz posted:

Wish I could, I grew up on that course when I was a kid (mostly played the Champions/Desert course next door). I always like to hang out left of #1 green where the players walked off in the mornings. Back in the day got a golf ball from Tommy Armour III.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

God drat, Tiger is 8 over through 9 holes. I hope he stays healthy long enough to get his game under control. Golf Channel's Tiger Tracker twitter account reads like a horror story today.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

God drat, Tiger is 8 over through 9 holes. I hope he stays healthy long enough to get his game under control. Golf Channel's Tiger Tracker twitter account reads like a horror story today.

Not watching today, but yesterday he was chipping like me. I think three months from now he'll look a lot better, unlike last time around when he actually looked like he was going to spontaneously dismember at any moment.

TBC
Jan 12, 2006

Glazers gonna Glaze

Suprfli6 posted:

I never thought I'd live to see the day where Tiger Woods' score card looks like one of mine.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

+12 through 13 now, holy christ wtf is wrong. Looks like he has forgotten howto chip/pitch completely.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

mattfl posted:

+12 through 13 now, holy christ wtf is wrong. Looks like he has forgotten howto chip/pitch completely.

He is obviously over-thinking his entire approach when it comes to chipping and pitching. He reminds me of Chuck Knoblauch, former Yankees second baseman, that inexplicably forgot how to throw to first base. It is really strange and sad :(

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Seymour Butts posted:

He is obviously over-thinking his entire approach when it comes to chipping and pitching. He reminds me of Chuck Knoblauch, former Yankees second baseman, that inexplicably forgot how to throw to first base. It is really strange and sad :(

drat, I kept coming back to Knoblauch when thinking about this. It's amazing how world-class athletes that have been performing a task at an elite level for literally 95% of their life can suddenly become completely unable to do it.

I think it's worse in golf because the ball just sits there taunting you and everything is very quiet while everyone waits for you to gently caress the monkey again.

Edit: Knoblauch is a good comparison, because he could jump up and make the throw to first if he had fielded a grounder running to his right, for example. But when he had a short throw from a standstill and no pressure to hurry, he would heave it into the stands. As a fellow human being it's kind of disconcerting.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 30, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I haven't had one single thought about Chuck Knoblauch in years but goddamn is that a great analogy

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

jarrod saltalamacchia former red sox catcher had this same issue where he just forgot how to throw the ball back to the pitcher. That's a great example of what's going on though. It was completely a mental issue and took him a while to get over it.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
They explained his chunked chips the last time he played in a tournament (Hero World Challenge?). In trying to ingrain his swing changes, it's trickled down to his chipping motion, and it's very easy to chunk the ball at this stage. He'll work through it, but it is definitely disturbing to see.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

this is an adaptation from Patrick Reed's upcoming book and it's really worth a read.

quote:

Two of Patrick's dominant personality traits emerged early, and both worried his parents, Bill and Jeannette. The first was his incredible capacity for rage. He expected so much of himself that when he went into a slump, he'd transform into a sullen powder keg of frustration and anger, to the point that his parents wondered whether or not he was truly enjoying the sport. Reed always told them he was, but his emotional explosions painted a different picture.

The other problem was his outward shows of confidence, which crossed over into a cocky, arrogant tone too often for Bill's liking. He knew his son's success somewhat depended on this self-assurance, but when Patrick introduced himself to strangers by saying things like, "I'm Patrick Reed, and I'll kick the poo poo out of you at golf any time you want," Bill also knew he had a problem.

hahahaha i love that

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kameh posted:

They explained his chunked chips the last time he played in a tournament (Hero World Challenge?). In trying to ingrain his swing changes, it's trickled down to his chipping motion, and it's very easy to chunk the ball at this stage. He'll work through it, but it is definitely disturbing to see.

Muscle memory is a bitch. You just know Tiger is seething, especially because his short game has always been so immaculate. I would already have snapped my wedge and chucked the pieces into the lake.

On the positive side, he was lag-putting really well yesterday -- which is good because his chips were leaving him with 70-footers for birdie or par!

Edit: Maybe he actually ought to break a club. Just needs to do something to bust himself out of whatever mental shitstorm he's in.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Wow, ends at 82 for the day. His worst round in his career. Not a great way to start the year I imagine!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I. loving. Love. The Phoenix Open. Everyone click this right goddamn now.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

DJExile posted:

I. loving. Love. The Phoenix Open. Everyone click this right goddamn now.

Hahaha love it. Also loved the guy in the US flag shirt.

Shot a 71 today. Hit like 16 greens in reg. Missed quite a few birdie chances. Need to get down under 30putts - I'm always around 32 or 33.

Also tried my friends new R1 driver. Really impressed with it and may snag if from him for $175 (he doesn't like it much). It's also in black which looks real nice.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Got out before the game yesterday to a course I hadn't played in almost 3 years.

Course wasn't in $35 condition when it's normally under $20 during the summer, but I'll take it! It's a pretty open course with not much trouble so as long as you can keep it not too far off the fairway you'll have a good second shot. Missed a couple of make-able longish birdie putts, greens weren't in the best of condition but at least they were rolling mostly straight. Goal this year is to shoot 72, couple more made putts here and there and I think I'm on track to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYYozsE3u6Y&feature=youtu.be