Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Anyone else have Golfshot just not record a single stroke during a round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Omne posted:

Anyone else have Golfshot just not record a single stroke during a round?

I gave up on using Golfshot to track shots, it was too annoying to make sure it got the shot everytime and forget about taking practice swings because it would catch that as a regular swing.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Oodles posted:

Have you tried using a club instead?

lol

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

mattfl posted:

I gave up on using Golfshot to track shots, it was too annoying to make sure it got the shot everytime and forget about taking practice swings because it would catch that as a regular swing.

What do you use? Arrcos? Garmin? I really want the distances

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Omne posted:

What do you use? Arrcos? Garmin? I really want the distances

Shotscope just dropped their latest, the x5, I think.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I picked up an old v3 on eBay for £40 and bought a new set of club tags for £9. So far, one round in, it’s pretty cool.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Oh god the lady commentator just called Jordan Spieth the Taylor Swift of golf. :gonk:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Carth Dookie posted:

Oh god the lady commentator just called Jordan Spieth the Taylor Swift of golf. :gonk:

but... Taylor Swift is good at what she does.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

nerdz posted:

re: fitting I think for a beginner it's mostly about figuring out lengths, grip sizes and shaft material/flex, at least for me.I think the part where they figure out the head might be too much for beginners. A beginners set that really worked for me besides my failing elbows and big hands was the Callaway strata. the intro one has everything you need for like 250 on Amazon. that's cheap enough that you get all you need and you can just sell it used if you grow out of it. If you buy your stuff new from a golf shop I believe a few of them will do a simple fitting included in the cost of purchase.

edit: another consideration after getting your clubs if you just go for off the rack. does it hurt to play? are your fingers getting tired and you lose grip strength after playing? does your back, shoulder, wrist or elbows hurt and it only gets worse? then off the rack is not for you, see what an instructor or fitter can suggest for you.
i started with a Strata set and they're fine clubs BUT they do run a bit shorter than even standard sets, so they were immediately too short for me (I'm 6'2'', i think 36'' wrist-to-floor). Wasn't something I noticed right away since I was very bad at golf then, but I took a lesson and the instructor noticed it immediately and had me use one of his stock clubs the rest of the lesson, so I bought a cheapo new iron set from Gigagolf and gave the Stratas to shorter buddy who is still using them and likes them (the irons at least).

All that to say, if you're tall, don't go Strata

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slap irons around on the driving range left and right.

Same again on the course.

Come home and smash 2 dozen sweetly right into the net.

Golf.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Going to stay with my buddy at Pinehurst Monday-Thursday.

His wife works there and can get us employee pricing. $50 round/cart/rental clubs. Awww yeaaa

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

RCarr posted:

His wife works there and can get us employee pricing. $50 round/cart/rental clubs. Awww yeaaa

Hello, friend. (That’s an insane deal)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

RCarr posted:

Have I ever mentioned that I live nearby and think your friend is awesome?

(For real that's a smoking hook-up)

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

drat good golf at the women’s amateur at Augusta today. What a finish.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Heading to Augusta tomorrow for Monday’s practice round. Cannot believe I’ve been lucky enough to go twice.

My dad is tempting fate. He’s trying to convince us we should stop putting in for practice rounds, and only accept tournament days since we’ve been there done that.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
No way dude. Having been to both, practice rounds at Augusta are the best spectator experience you can have short of watching Tiger win on a Sunday.

Fewer people in the way, the players are way more cool with interacting with the fans, you can take pictures…

Most of this is true for any tournament, but it’s especially true for the Masters. Always put in for the practice round tickets and always go if you ever get a chance to. Oh and if you ever get to go to the Wed practice round you get the bonus of watching the par 3 tournament which is loving rad as hell.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

mattfl posted:

Wait, what?

How do I find one of these better than scratch wifes? Or, probably the better option, teach my current wife to be better than scratch lol

Yeah she played for a top 3 collegiate program and was a phenomenal amateur golfer (top 15 ranked in the U.S.) Went to Ledbetter golf academy. It is outrageous how good her short game is. She normally plays like 6200, so it’s extremely fun to play scramble events with her when she’s on the red tees.

By the way, I got back from New Zealand and it was phenomenal. Cape Kidnappers is probably the best course I have ever played. I’ll post pics and a rundown later.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Clubs came in and I’ve watched 34 hours of YouTube top tips why am I still bad at golf?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Omerta posted:

By the way, I got back from New Zealand and it was phenomenal. Cape Kidnappers is probably the best course I have ever played. I’ll post pics and a rundown later.

Where else did you get to in the end?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

So I ran across a deal I couldn't turn down...

They feel amazing. Just need to get them bent flat and they'll be perfect.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

waffle enthusiast posted:

Clubs came in and I’ve watched 34 hours of YouTube top tips why am I still bad at golf?

are you watching the break par guaranteed videos, those are important

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

My putting is dogshit compared to tour pros. Really enjoying having access to data.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

xsf421 posted:

So I ran across a deal I couldn't turn down...

They feel amazing. Just need to get them bent flat and they'll be perfect.

Welcome to the JDM dark side, I see you decided to not gently caress around and go straight for the hard stuff.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Oodles posted:

My putting is dogshit compared to tour pros. Really enjoying having access to data.

1. Don't compare yourself to pros
2. Short game is the one area where amateurs can legitimately get close to pro level ability, they are the most available strokes to shave off.
3. What that means is you've still got tons of low hanging fruit to pick, so lots of upside.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

GEMorris posted:

1. Don't compare yourself to pros
2. Short game is the one area where amateurs can legitimately get close to pro level ability, they are the most available strokes to shave off.
3. What that means is you've still got tons of low hanging fruit to pick, so lots of upside.

To be fair, I had 44 putts on my last round. So there is a gigantic amount of work to be done there to improve. But I didn’t putt over winter, got onto the winter green which effectively was the fairway, and just lifted.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Where else did you get to in the end?

So we played both Te Arai courses (2x), Waireiki, Cape Kidnappers (2x), and Kinloch.

Te Arai north: probably my least favorite Doak course I’ve ever played. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but not great. Too easy for my taste. Felt totally mindless off the tee, where the great Doak courses are still pretty open but penalize you if you’re on the wrong side of the fairway.

Te Arai south:

Very dramatic Coore Crenshaw design.

Waireiki: combo bird sanctuary/golf course. A fun design that would be a good every day track. I wish the greens had a little more variance to them, but it was a very solid course.

Cape Kidnappers: this is a real deal, big boy tournament golf course. Extremely fair but challenging. Exceptional hole design and some of the most stunning views I’ve seen on a golf course. It was blowing around 25-30 and I was thrilled to shoot 78/81. The back 9 in particular is out of this world. Wife and I had an hour plus discussion about our favorite holes and strategy after the rounds.

Kinloch: normal dour Nicholas course. Very linksy feel but didn’t play like a links course at all. I shot 73 with a 33 on the back, so I was pretty stoked about that.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GEMorris posted:

Welcome to the JDM dark side, I see you decided to not gently caress around and go straight for the hard stuff.

I was already playing zx7s, these seem to be the miura equivalent. First round with them was generally good. I need to get them bent flat, so my miss was left as expected.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Omne posted:

Heading to Augusta tomorrow for Monday’s practice round. Cannot believe I’ve been lucky enough to go twice.

My dad is tempting fate. He’s trying to convince us we should stop putting in for practice rounds, and only accept tournament days since we’ve been there done that.

I’ll be there tomorrow too. First time for me so I’m pretty hyped. I expected downtown Augusta to be a little more lively but I suppose it is Sunday in the south

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
drat y'all this Valero Open is awesome

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

If you aren’t watching the Valero open you are missing one of the best endings to a tournament in a long long time. McCarthy shot a 28 on the back 9 to catch up to Bhatia who shot a 5 under. Now we get bonus golf!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

BonoMan posted:

drat y'all this Valero Open is awesome

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I've chunked wedges like McCarthy just did a billion times

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I was not aware you could do what Bhatia is doing lol

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Tape or not, he stuffed that one.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I hosed up my shoulder playing baseball and tore my labrum, if I throw my left arm up quickly and kinda rotate my shoulder will pop out/back in. It hurts like a bitch so I can kinda see that happening to Bhatia on the fist pump he did.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Golf is weird. Denny went from having one of the best 72-hole performances in the last few years to chunking a lob wedge into the drink to lose a playoff.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I have to watch the tournaments on replay so I've made a habit of avoiding this thread until I've watched it. I saw a bunch of unread posts for the thread and knew I was in for a spicy one.

Great to watch.

Looking forward to the masters now. My head says Scheffler is most likely to get it, but I hope Matsuyama or Schauffle win it and they're both playing well enough that it's not impossible. If Aberg got it I wouldn't mind that either.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

I have to watch the tournaments on replay so I've made a habit of avoiding this thread until I've watched it. I saw a bunch of unread posts for the thread and knew I was in for a spicy one.

Great to watch.

Looking forward to the masters now. My head says Scheffler is most likely to get it, but I hope Matsuyama or Schauffle win it and they're both playing well enough that it's not impossible. If Aberg got it I wouldn't mind that either.

I want someone to come outta left field, force a playoff and take the W from one of the frontrunners.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: Masters thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4058173 :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

iNteg posted:

I want someone to come outta left field, force a playoff and take the W from one of the frontrunners.

I want Akshay to carry through his momentum and take it. I don’t think he can hang with scheffler though.