Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xsf421 posted:

I want Akshay to carry through his momentum and take it. I don’t think he can hang with scheffler though.

Rickie Fowler to come out of nowhere with a mental game that surpasses all, ending with a putting duel from 40 feet with Scheffler, where they both miss and it's high tension, anime ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Very cool. I had a similar reaction to you on te arai north. Super jealous you played Kidnappers though.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
The beginners golf fitting session was very productive. From the fitter's assessment my current clubs are actually stiff and not regular flex, or at least a very very stiff regular so not that good for me. He addressed my elbow concerns and showed me how my poor technique was causing strain and showed me how to avoid it, and just like that the elbow pain was gone, both during and after the session. He gave me some feedback on my swing and on things I should work on for a while. He figured out my flex, grip and shaft lengths. We tried a bit of driving, of course that wasnt very productive but at least we got a good length and loft. I was also fitted for a putter and tried several until I found one that felt really good.

After that he told me to return my clubs if I could since it wasnt worth it adjusting them and once I found a few listings with my specs he would let me know what was the best pick. I found 5 that matched the description and he picked a Callaway Rogue X with 5-GW, a +.5" KBS90 max shaft, midsized CP2 wrap grips with some life left in them. They were a bit more expensive but this is a complete set with no further adjustments needed. All in all, a very positive experience and I feel it was worth it at $150.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I was hitting my first bucket of range balls today here just north of Columbus when the eclipse rolled through. I was a mile or so inside the edge of the totality zone so it didn’t last super long, but the range lights came on for a few minutes at least. It was neat.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I’ve been playing on the TrackMan simulator at least once a week since November, taking lessons, watching videos, practicing some feels at home. Y’know, doing everything you’re supposed to do. I’m routinely shooting in between 38 and 45 on the sim, hitting fairways and greens pretty regularly.

Played my first round outside today. It’s like I’ve never swung a golf club in my life. Driver slicing everywhere. Chunking irons. Thinning chips. Just absolute loving trash. My league starts next Thursday, and I’m so disheartened.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Just got back home from Augusta. That place really is amazing. We walked the front nine, ate some food, walked the back nine in reverse, saw a bunch of guys out, hit up the store, and made it back outside for the eclipse (The Masters provided all patrons with branded solar viewing glasses), which was wild. All in all we walked 7 miles, ate many sandwiches, and managed to only spend $550 this time.

Pics to come once I get them off the camera

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Those masters eclipse glasses will be a once in a lifetime collectors item

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah that's really cool. I'm jelly.

Got a pic of the glasses? That's a legit novelty item. Hold on to it. May never be worth anything but it's a genuinely interesting curio and keepsake.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Took that one in the car; I can take more if needed

ETA: I'm kicking myself for not snagging a few more pair on our way out

Omne fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 9, 2024

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
My new clubs arrive next monday and the weekend will be sunny at 80f, this is bs

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Omne posted:

Took that one in the car; I can take more if needed

ETA: I'm kicking myself for not snagging a few more pair on our way out

It was a really cool day to be out there. I mentioned in the Masters thread that for a couple hours around the eclipse the weather was absolutely perfect. Still 80 and cloudless but without any of the heat.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Has anyone here purchased clubs for a little kid? Like 6? My daughter’s been doing a golf class for a few weeks now and at least says she wants to get her own set, and I’m happy to indulge her if there’s a chance she sticks with it.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Us Kids or TopFlite if you are buying with the 50/50 or worse odds they'll lose interest. Flynn if you think they are committed. Ping if you're wanting to also financially flex via your kid's equipment, and Flynn shafts in full adult higher end heads if you want to try and lawnmower parent their way into the lpga.

My 6y/o has a set of TopFlites because they were pink and purple and apparently she inherited my adhd and can pay attention for 30m max of a 90m class.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Had my first ever round with a random guy. We were both singles, and infront of him were 4 juniors taking ages. So I just joined him.

Once I got my nerves out the way of playing with someone I never met before, it was quite an enjoyable experience.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Oodles posted:

Had my first ever round with a random guy. We were both singles, and infront of him were 4 juniors taking ages. So I just joined him.

Once I got my nerves out the way of playing with someone I never met before, it was quite an enjoyable experience.

I play as a single 100% of the time. It's nice seeing the spectrum of players, both skill level and backgrounds of guys.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

torgeaux posted:

I play as a single 100% of the time. It's nice seeing the spectrum of players, both skill level and backgrounds of guys.

The course I play isn’t busy enough to force singles to go into groups. Normally I like just playing on my own and chilling to music. Plus, I think I’m garbage so not comfortable playing infront of people I don’t know.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I suck so I’m much more comfortable playing either with my friends or on my own, but every time I’ve ended up playing with strangers it’s actually been a really good experience.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just got back from Pinehurst. We played 4 rounds on the cradle (par 3 course) the first day. I played really well, got at least 1 birdie every time through, with a bunch of pars. Was feeling good.

Then we went out and played #8 the next day and I was immediately humbled. Just an incredibly difficult course. And I am absolutely not good enough to play on greens so firm and fast that it’s like putting on a pool table, where if you end up putting 5 feet past the hole it’s going to end up rolling 40 feet off the green. Still, hit a lot of good shots, the place was beautiful, had an awesome time.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My Tuesday round at fossil trace was the highs and lows of stranger golf. Three young guys, very likeable. But, they all play together, never with anyone else. They stand behind each other on the tee box to watch ball flight, aim advice. They stood directly behind me, too, to "help". And it stopped bothering me because it was such good will.

I never give advice (other than, " dogleg left, trouble right, misses right come back, etc...) and I could have cut ten plus strokes from their games with just strategic shot choices. They had one swing speed, 110%. Five feet off green? Full cut with laid open 60 degree wedge. Never once had any calculation of risk reward. But, they had a lot of fun, and never any regrets. Fun round.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Anno posted:

Has anyone here purchased clubs for a little kid? Like 6? My daughter’s been doing a golf class for a few weeks now and at least says she wants to get her own set, and I’m happy to indulge her if there’s a chance she sticks with it.

I did US Kids. The local play it again sports has sets with bags for like $60z. They are like $250 new which are pretty steep.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
bought 2 used iron sets from 2nd swing to try for a couple months and see which one I'll keep. the one that's condition 6 looks like a condition 8 and the one that's condition 8 looks like a condition 6 with worn sweet spots and loose ferrules. this might be an easy choice. The Callaway rogues seem to lose their head graphics quite easily which is why they were rated lower but besides that they're pristine. I noticed they usually go used for a lot less than other sets, hopefully that's the reason.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Callaway clubs also generally have pretty terrible resale values, it's not rare to find last year's drivers for like 60% of their original msrp.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
nice! I got them and a combo set of Mizuno jpx ez. Cast 5 and 6, forged 7-pw which felt like an interesting combo to me. we'll see which ones I like best though just by looking at them the rogues look way more forgiving, I'll give the rogues a try tomorrow then the mizunos next week. both are the exact same length,shaft flex and grip size, I'm trying to be objective and not fall into the trapping of which one looks better, is thinner etc.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 14, 2024

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol @ woods still making headlines

It's over for tiger!!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Realizing you're so bad you finally go and get help, is this golf or therapy?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Was unaware of this Verne lore.

https://x.com/MarkNagi/status/1779569061745041776

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
these rogue x clubs are so weird. they're supposed to be super game improvement but they do it in a very beginner unfriendly way. The lofts are very very strong, like 1½ clubs or more all the way so hitting a 5 iron is almost the same as hitting a 3 iron. I guess that would make the ball go farther for people who can hit a 3i but it just feels like they're mislabeling the clubs, even with the very wide soles and low center of gravity. I feel I'd be better served by more traditional lofts and then adding hybrids/woods instead of having clubs I'll have trouble using for a long time.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

The hotter faces and tungsten in the sole negate more of the loft increase than you think. They’re mostly for slower swingers who have trouble getting the ball in the air, not necessarily more forgiving than a regular cavity back.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

you'll get there. last season I was barely driving 185 on the course and just hoping I could somehow pass the 200 mark. This season I've only been out twice so far but most of my drives have been over 230 which is amazing for me.

I didn't specifically do strength or speed training but I did go to the range every weekend with my friends who only cared about smashing driver as far as they possibly could. So for about half of my practice I was joining them and just trying to swing out of my mind to see what ballspeeds I could get. I don't do that on the course but it's translated to faster speeds even with a more relaxed swing I can control

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can confirm that after every single lesson you come out with a different, way better swing. They just notice simple stuff that you can tweak and suddenly you have a much better understanding of what you're doing.

I'm trying to keep my sets cheap exactly because I want to focus most of my budget on lessons. That last fitting/lesson session not only solved my pain while playing, I've got a pretty good foundation to build up on with dead straight shots. I wasn't hitting any far with the new clubs, but the grouping was impressively tight for me and the videos from my right side showed I was hitting the ball dead center with my sweet spot every time I actually hit them right.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 14, 2024

wicked duck
Sep 2, 2004

nerdz posted:

I can confirm that after every single lesson you come out with a different, way better swing. They just notice simple stuff that you can tweak and suddenly you have a much better understanding of what you're doing.

And then you take a year off with an injury, your swing reverts to a nasty thing, and go through the same lesson progression and revelations again. :negative:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I changed my swing thought to "just swing as hard as you can" halfway through a round and had the best stretch of holes in my career (-2 thru 6)

One weird trick to lower scores (golf pros HATE this)

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
My swing has been changing so much, and I've been hitting so much off mats that i had a really tough round today. Buuuuut there were some sick glimmers of hope that i AM improving as a golfer.
My distances are getting longer, I'm getting the ball up in the air more, but my misses be missing that much more because of the distance increase. I have a wicked push slice going on right now with my driver, and i hit almost all of my iron shots off the toe, even on fairways. I did have a couple of pretty sick short game shots though.

Went to a local sim afterward to watch the end of the masters, and that toe-y hit seemed to go away.

Golf kicks rear end.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

abigserve posted:

I changed my swing thought to "just swing as hard as you can" halfway through a round and had the best stretch of holes in my career (-2 thru 6)

One weird trick to lower scores (golf pros HATE this)

This is what saved my driver swing this weekend. I’d been working on trying to hit it relatively straight and consistent for weeks, yesterday I just decided to stick in the tour x-stiff shaft and swing for the fences. Multiple 300 yard total drives with one catching a hill and rolling out to 330.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xsf421 posted:

This is what saved my driver swing this weekend. I’d been working on trying to hit it relatively straight and consistent for weeks, yesterday I just decided to stick in the tour x-stiff shaft and swing for the fences. Multiple 300 yard total drives with one catching a hill and rolling out to 330.

You crushed it, hit some serious heaters. it was awesome to watch. 10/10 fun golf, would play that course again.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I was told this morning that the reason for my slice is because I’m rotating my hips too early/ahead of my shoulders. As a lefty that golfs right, I have a feeling this is going to be a huge pain to fix. :smith:

On the plus side, I played a par 3 this afternoon for the first time in 15+ years and…Jesus golf is fun. Chipping came right back. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I asked my wife for a golf lesson for my birthday last year. My dad recommended this local guy he used to go to before he retired and moved to Florida like 10 years ago. Turns out that pro is now the 8th ranked golf instructor in the country!?

My wife paid $300 for this lesson I never would have been ok with that but I figured he was some local nobody.

Oh well, I hope it helps lol, I’m going on Tuesday.

Apparently the guy was teaching Padraig Harrington before he started winning and then he blew up.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Just got back from a Myrtle Beach trip. I do wish that I could have gotten some other rounds in before the trip because I couldn't get off the tee or putt. And my slice came back after practicing indoors for weeks to get rid of it.

Tough sport

daslog fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

daslog posted:

Just got back from a Myrtle Beach trip. I do wish that I could have gotten some other rounds in before the trip because I couldn't get off the tee or putt. And my slice came back after practicing indoors for weeks to get rid of it.

Tough sport

Which courses did you play?