Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
went to the range today for the first time after a 3 hour chipping session last Thursday and it's crazy how much better my contact is. It made me buy a 56 wedge and I'll do one chipping+putting session a week. honestly I find it more fun that hitting the driver and probably more important too.

Also is it normal for your form to break down after you get tired and suddenly you can't hit anything well anymore. I was reviewing my session videos and I had the worst slouch I've ever seen on down the line videos

nerdz fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I definitely lose out as I get fatigued. Concentration lapses and it's just harder to rotate sore and tired muscles, and it tends to wreck my swing rhythm as well.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

nerdz posted:

went to the range today for the first time after a 3 hour chipping session last Thursday and it's crazy how much better my contact is. It made me buy a 56 wedge and I'll do one chipping+putting session a week. honestly I find it more fun that hitting the driver and probably more important too.

Also is it normal for your form to break down after you get tired and suddenly you can't hit anything well anymore. I was reviewing my session videos and I had the worst slouch I've ever seen on down the line videos

Normal. I have an "adapted" swing when I start to see it. Shortened back swing, punch-type shots I can hit accurately with an acceptable loss of distance.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Just played a round, past 5 rounds have all been +25 on average. Made a change to my hand position and shot +20.

Baby steps boys, baby steps.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Or, because it's golf, you'll have a great day, and your next round, now with high expectations, will crash.

Started double, birdie, double. I didn’t make any more birdies…

It was a beautiful day, I was out with my normal foursome for the first time this year, the golf was really secondary.

I had been feeling a bit indifferent about playing golf but yesterday got the bug back so I’m excited about that.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
hmm, so at the driving range I noticed they use practice balls, as opposed to the sim. Do they fly lower/shorter than regular balls? I'm trying to get my hopes up that I actually didn't lose distance, I just stopped playing at the sim. I guess I'll have to go there every now and then to track my club head speed and real distances if that's the case.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

nerdz posted:

hmm, so at the driving range I noticed they use practice balls, as opposed to the sim. Do they fly lower/shorter than regular balls? I'm trying to get my hopes up that I actually didn't lose distance, I just stopped playing at the sim. I guess I'll have to go there every now and then to track my club head speed and real distances if that's the case.

Some range balls are limited flight balls, so deliberately shorter. They're almost all cheap two piece surlyn cover balls not designed for performance, but durability. Sims can use any balls.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

nerdz posted:

I'd imagine you'd see some drastically different results going from an indoor sim to an outdoor range even with the same ball

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh well, thanks for the replies, I imagine wind is another big factor for ranges as opposed to sims. At least the range and the sim use different apps, trackman vs toptracer so I might be able to draw comparisons once I'm more consistent.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

nerdz posted:

once I'm more consistent.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, this is still golf.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Had a lesson and basically completely rebuilt my swing from the ground up. This should be interesting…

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

How should I go about getting my first set of clubs? I'm a rank beginner, have taken a few lessons and love it so far. I'm using my instructors loaner set of beaters so far.

Are clubs like Stix any good? Or does it fall into the trap of: too expensive to sit in your garage unused, too poo poo to use once you get a tiny bit better?

My instructor told me to go to a golf shop and yeah he's probably right...

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
my recent newbie experience,I just asked the same question last month: if you can use the loaner for a bit they'll serve you, but try to figure out the proper club length for your height/wrist to floor and grip size. I had access to a beginners club fitting where they figure out your basic measurements for cheaper than a club fitting. Maybe at a golf shop you can do that but honestly, the sizes I got from the fitter were the same I got online. If you have standard measurements you're in luck, if not it's very easy to look for them at second swing.

It's hard to know if those takomo/Stix clubs are not just drop shipping Chinese cheap stuff. I'd personally get used clubs from eBay/2nd swing with free shipping and free returns. I've returned 3 sets of irons so far until I found the one I liked best.

For new ones if you want a full set, Callaway strata is a great beginners set given you match their measurements

nerdz fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 21, 2024

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

nerdz posted:

It's hard to know if those takomo/Stix clubs are not just drop shipping Chinese cheap stuff.

I did look on Temu just for a laugh. Full set of clubs and bag for $27!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

How should I go about getting my first set of clubs? I'm a rank beginner, have taken a few lessons and love it so far. I'm using my instructors loaner set of beaters so far.

Are clubs like Stix any good? Or does it fall into the trap of: too expensive to sit in your garage unused, too poo poo to use once you get a tiny bit better?

You van safely buy the sets at Costco. Decent clubs, cheap, and will be good enough your first year or so. Unless your really short or really tall. And then pass them on to another new player or a summer camp program.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I got my son, 16 about 5’7ish, a standard size set of men’s Wilson’s from the PGA store for $400.

Are they great? No. Are they what he needs to learn and not care if they get scratched up or whatever? Yes. Decent beginner cavity backs with a driver and 2 hybrids and a bag .

I could have probably saved money on eBay or used but he wanted to get started with lessons right away so I got the cheapest I could fine.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I've always found the ping fitting chart to be a good starting point.

We can always recommend used clubs here once you know what you're looking for.

quote:

They're very expensive for something a beginner is going to beat to hell and back. You can buy a very good 3-5 year old set of irons for probably half of what they cost.

xsf421 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 21, 2024

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

xsf421 posted:

I've always found the ping fitting chart to be a good starting point.

We can always recommend used clubs here once you know what you're looking for.

They're very expensive for something a beginner is going to beat to hell and back. You can buy a very good 3-5 year old set of irons for probably half of what they cost.

That chart kinda looks like what I was feeling during coaching. I kinda suspect I might benefit from slightly shorter shafts and a flatter lie angle.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 21, 2024

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
also with an instructor they'll easily spot if the swing and posture are being hampered by the wrong measurements. As long as you get something with free returns you're good to try without fear

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Carth Dookie posted:

That chart kinda looks like what I was feeling during coaching. I kinda suspect I might benefit from slightly shorter shafts and a flatter lie angle.

It's worth noting that lie angle changes are usually ~$3 a club at any decent shop, so don't feel like you *have* to buy something that's flat already.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

xsf421 posted:

It's worth noting that lie angle changes are usually ~$3 a club at any decent shop, so don't feel like you *have* to buy something that's flat already.

Yeah I'm thinking an adjustment might be on the cards sooner rather than later. I don't think I'd want to change my wedges or putter, or actually replace any shafts (except maybe driver and 4 Hybrid) but even if I just shortened all 10 other clubs and had the lie angle adjusted on the irons that would still probably be less than $150.

Edit: starting to think I don't much care for Hzardus shafts I've got (driver and 4 Hybrid). Unsure if it's a brand thing or if both of them just happen to be too heavy/stiff.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 22, 2024

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Anyone here have any experience/information/opinions about motorized push carts? I have a cart bag and my husband has a carry bag, so when we walk a course (we like the exercise) I end up being the pack mule and loading the water and whatever else into my bag. I'm curious about what kind of options there might be for an electric assist for pushing it up the big hills. I am also mildly interested in the roomba style carts that follow you around hands-free but I don't want to look like a pretentious snob chunking my ball into the woods while my robot servant trundles along behind me :v:

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Tagra posted:

Anyone here have any experience/information/opinions about motorized push carts? I have a cart bag and my husband has a carry bag, so when we walk a course (we like the exercise) I end up being the pack mule and loading the water and whatever else into my bag. I'm curious about what kind of options there might be for an electric assist for pushing it up the big hills. I am also mildly interested in the roomba style carts that follow you around hands-free but I don't want to look like a pretentious snob chunking my ball into the woods while my robot servant trundles along behind me :v:

My club is at the point where more of the people who walk are using motorized push carts than not. Most of us, myself included, use the Alphard V2 (https://alphardgolf.com/) because we know a guy who works there and he got like 100 of them for wholesale pricing for us.

There are a smattering of other types like the QOD and other brands I can’t remember the names of that I see regularly.

I like it infinitely more than carrying or pushing a regular cart around and it makes me walk vs taking a driving cart for basically any course that isn’t insane to walk in the first place. The V2 works great, but the downside is that you also need to buy a regular push cart that’s compatible and then it takes a small amount of work to set it up and break it down every time you use it. They’re supposedly coming out with a new version soonish that will be an all-in-one and take less time to set up.

Anyway, my TLDR is that if you like walking and play a lot, it’s totally worth it. Cart rentals are averaging $15-$20 around here and at that rate the V2 pays for itself in less than a year of golf for me.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Has anyone checked to see if Scottie and Nelly are actually human and not golf robots? I'm starting to get suspicious.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I wish I was good enough at gif manipulation to shop Scottie taking a swing over one of those early Boston dynamics walking study robots that falls down all the time

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Had another trackman session today.

One thing I've realised in correcting my posture is that the only reason I had to correct it is because my original posture was wrong because my clubs weren't the right size for me, so my bad posture was me trying to compensate for that. It seems very likely I need my clubs shortened and lie angles sorted so I think I'm going to suck it up and go and try to make an appointment with a fitter.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

BCRock posted:

My club is at the point where more of the people who walk are using motorized push carts than not. Most of us, myself included, use the Alphard V2 (https://alphardgolf.com/)

Ooh that one looks perfect. I have a Bagboy cart right now and it might be compatible, but the whole Omni bundle is only like 100 more than just the motor and my cart is getting a little tired. It might be time for an early birthday gift...

How heavy is it? The tech specs are a bit confusing because it lists weights separately but it looks like it's giving combined weight? This makes it look like it's about 40 pounds but they've added the battery in twice.

quote:

Club Booster V2
19 lbs. (plus an additional 4 lbs. for battery).

OMNI CART
17 lbs.

BATTERY
Weighs about 4 lbs.

Tagra fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 22, 2024

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Get a 7 iron and a lesson. (Note that buying a single iron usually only makes sense in a used club shop or play-it-again-sports type of place.)

Barring that, get a cheap set of GI or cavity back clubs knowing you'll replace them with something that fits better soon.

Don't bother with a driver, or more than one fairway wood, hybrid, or wedge at the start. Think of it as building a representation of club types for the purposes of lessons, and saving your budget for more lessons.

If you want to buy a full set of clubs on a budget I can make specific recommendations, from better DTC brands like Takomo or Sub70, to buying used clubs on the japanese used market via proxy services (which *can* be an incredible deal)

Carth Dookie posted:

By far the best method for checking lie angles.

Between this and the measurement charts posted a few pages back, a new player should be able to determine a dimensionally correct set of clubs most of the time. Shaft is trickier, and determined by both swing type and speed, but defaulting to a regular or stiff is generally best until you know more.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 22, 2024

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

You can also find some great deals buying old demo single clubs on eBay, just watch out for predatory shipping prices. I built a friend a bag with an Adams 5h, sim 2 7 iron, Cleveland gap wedge, and a putter for around $110 including the bag ($10 on Facebook marketplace).

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
2nd swing is pretty good when you need something very specific. After getting my measurements, it was the best site that actually allowed me to pick a club with my desired shaft and grip types since ebay can be iffy with the pics. They also have ordering by club release date which is something I haven't found anywhere else and allows you to find better deals on newer used clubs even if you don't understand much about the brands. They also have rather cheap adjustments for any club you buy, a lot cheaper than getting them adjusted later if you want a shaft extension, lie angle adjustment and new grips.

I got a 5-GW forged iron set with a great condition mcc+4 grip with them for $260, bought a mislabeled (and newly regripped) odyssey versa #7 in an uncontested auction for $10 and a mint 56 degree forged wedge for $40 on ebay. So I spent barely over $300 to buy a set of forged clubs with my fitted measurements. If I wasnt as particular about the clubs I could have probably done it with half that budget, older callaways in the X series are great deals and very highly regarded GI clubs from what I've read.

I know a person that's big into estate sales and she told me she sees golf clubs very often. She'll start sending me pics too so maybe I'll score a few deals.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 22, 2024

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

nerdz posted:

It's hard to know if those takomo/Stix clubs are not just drop shipping Chinese cheap stuff. I'd personally get used clubs from eBay/2nd swing with free shipping and free returns. I've returned 3 sets of irons so far until I found the one I liked best.

For new ones if you want a full set, Callaway strata is a great beginners set given you match their measurements
Takomo definitely makes good clubs, I don't know much about Stix but I'm guessing they're fine (but they do look expensive, there are cheaper box sets). If my clubs got stolen or run over or something I'd buy a DTC brand like Takomo or Sub70 or Maltby for sure.

wyoak fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 22, 2024

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I finally went and got fit for irons. Ping blueprint S with X100 shafts, with an i230 4 iron. Now. I get to play the waiting game on Ping.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

wyoak posted:

Takomo definitely makes good clubs, I don't know much about Stix but I'm guessing they're fine (but they do look expensive, there are cheaper box sets). If my clubs got stolen or run over or something I'd buy a DTC brand like Takomo or Sub70 or Maltby for sure.

Hogan is alive again, and if I don’t bring my old apex blades back with me the next time I visit aus I’m probably snap ordering some new icon mb’s because I’m bad with money and I’ve never heard a bad thing about the new ones

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

loving irons can go straight to hell. I literally cannot hit my 5i-7i anymore (and by not hit, I don't mean poorly....my Pw had an average carry of 93y and total distance of 109y while my 7i went 77y and 102y)

Looks like it's time to book another lesson

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The start of my season has been pretty weird, last season I was hitting my irons with a fade onto target but have pulling them a bit this season. Got on a trackman last weekend and it seems like my swing path has neutralized a lot but my club face is just as closed, and I'm hitting with a left bias throughout the bag. Definitely need some more range time and calibration but I also picked up some distance which is nice.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Most recent order from lostgolfballs.com came in. 4 dozen, so I could try Wilson Staff Model direct against Prov1x. 48 balls, 6 should not have been shipped, either clearly damaged, one a bad repaint job, and two not the models ordered.

QC has not been great.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

torgeaux posted:

Most recent order from lostgolfballs.com came in. 4 dozen, so I could try Wilson Staff Model direct against Prov1x. 48 balls, 6 should not have been shipped, either clearly damaged, one a bad repaint job, and two not the models ordered.

QC has not been great.

How much did you pay for 42 playable balls?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Carth Dookie posted:

How much did you pay for 42 playable balls?

$100.

Sadly, noticed the buy 2 dozen get one free from Wilson, so could have bought 36 for $100, brand new.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I really like the Wilson triad balls. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive and I like how they feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I play the Wilson Zip ball when I'm not so serious, and the Q-Star Tour when I am. Both good balls.