Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, ideally you'll get to hit these wedges outside, on grass, because it's really tough to get the right feel for them off a mat, although a mat is better than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks for the info. I am looking for a good fitting place for my irons and will also inquire about wedges as well. Unfortunately I only see my self hitting off mats for the next month so I will hold off buying some wedges. Watching the tour start and browsing ebay all day is not very fun when its snowing.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Doyzer posted:

Tiger has a lot work ahead of him before the Masters. I don't think his pride will let him chip/pitch like that at Augusta.

I like to imagine him having set some insane goal for himself, like hitting one million practice chips over the next month or something. Not sleeping or eating, just chipping.

And then he breaks his leg on the very last one, since someone is obviously voodooing him these last few years.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Anyone here selling any used wedges? I bought a couple from DoctaFun a few years back, I still use the 52* to this day. I'd like to get a 54 because I have trouble with a 56 and 60, and I find myself trying to get cute with my chip shots with the higher lofted clubs.

Hell I'm curious to hear what anyone would be selling. It's February, it's cold as poo poo, and buying clubs I probably don't need cures my winter golf-less depression.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
I played in my first tournament. Despite it being with 32 of the people I play with normally, my swing turned into a drunken corkscrew and my game went to poo poo. I didn't come in last, though!

It never ceases to amaze me how much your mental state can affect your golf game.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
Playing tournament golf and with friends are two different things. It gets easier with experience.

Look at PGA's (Club Pros) player's ability test (PAT). All you have to do is shoot 15 over course rating for 36 holes (low 150's). The course is usually set up pretty easy with a course rating of around 73 and maybe 6600 yards. Yet, only 20% of the people pass it.

Huskers
May 9, 2009
True Linkswear is running a buy one get one on any two pairs of shoes until 2/28 (~30 hrs) with code: freepairfeb.

I know they don't work for everyone, but I love mine.

WillKane
Feb 18, 2015

Nothing new under the sun.
I've seen PAT tests where the tees are moved up and the pins were all in the centers of the greens. And still the pass rate was very low.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Speaking of PGA teaching pro's ability test, have any of you ever thought about becoming one? The past 6 months I've begun to think that it would be a dream job to be a teaching pro at a nice golf club. Hanging out on the range all day, giving lessons for $100/hr. Is this a viable career?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I finally took a lesson for the first time ever after being self taught all the way up through high school, taking 8 years off, and finally getting back into it. Completely reworked my swing. I had been getting by thanks to being moderately athletic. After that lesson and taking a couple of weeks to really perfect my new swing it feels so good. It's so easy and smooth now, I can't believe I never took one before.

Take a lesson people!

Also, my boy P. Reed is going strong this weekend. His caddy/brother-in-law has been one of my best friends for the last 20 years. His wife used to drive us to practice in high school. It's always fun seeing him near the top of the leaderboard.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

Seymour Butts posted:

Speaking of PGA teaching pro's ability test, have any of you ever thought about becoming one? The past 6 months I've begun to think that it would be a dream job to be a teaching pro at a nice golf club. Hanging out on the range all day, giving lessons for $100/hr. Is this a viable career?

It takes awhile to get that level. Being a golf instructor is just as much learning how to communicate your ideas to the student as it is golf mechanics. A few things to consider: you will work a lot of weekends, be out in the sun A LOT, and most clubs will keep a portion of the lesson. It is best to start out with juniors (golf camps) or clinics because you get consistent income. Sitting down with a local respected PGA instructor and asking his/her advice is highly recommended.

This should help too.
http://pgajobfinder.pgalinks.com/helpwanted/empcenter/pgaandyou/pro.cfm?ctc=5730

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
So funny watching the bunkers fill up with water at PGA National. That's normal at my course. Must be good having an army of green keepers to get it playable so fast.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Can anyone recommend a good putter repair place? I have a Bettinardi SS15 that has a slight dent in the top line. It's close enough to center that it's distracting.

I'm sure that going directly through Bettinardi is probably my best bet, I'm just curious.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Can anyone recommend a good putter repair place? I have a Bettinardi SS15 that has a slight dent in the top line. It's close enough to center that it's distracting.

I'm sure that going directly through Bettinardi is probably my best bet, I'm just curious.

Bettinardi is probably best.

Black Oxide Services might be able to help too.
http://www.bosgolf.com/shop

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Welp, stepped into the world of not-pinemeadow-beginners-irons today and ordered some Taylormade SLDRs for $400, as an early 5 year wedding anniversary present from the wife. Can't wait for them to get here! (oh god now I need to replace my crappy hybrid and fairway wood)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's the Wood Anniversary and you got irons

:crossarms:

enjoy em!

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Played my first round since October 29th over the weekend. YIKES. Every fairway in reg and I was blasting my drives, even had one par 5 where I needed to hit 305 to carry a small creek and I ended up a good 10 yards past it. Course was pretty damp and it was only 60, so once it warms up more and drys out a bit it probably be even better. Unfortunately my short game is back to newb standard. Averaged 3.2 pph and had several mishit shots with my wedges under 100 yards. I was hitting all of my irons 10 yards longer than last year and my 56 degree was sailing everything as a result or coming up incredibly short. Had one eagle miss by about an inch and managed 3 birdies and 4 pars and several unfortunate doubles after amazing drives. Shooting 92.. my last round out last year I shot 83.. on the same course, from the same tees and even the same pin position (only reason I remember that is it was a tournament style round and I wrote it down in my book.)

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Promising start :)

Even though you didn't score well, it sounds like it's going to be a good year

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
http://www.golfwrx.com/286075/nikes-new-lebron-shoe-lebronold-palmer-inspired-by-arnold-palmer/

:barf:

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Haha, those are ugly as poo poo. They are Dolphins colors though....

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Hey guys, a newbie golfer here... I've noticed that to get the club flat on the ground I have to either, choke up quite a bit on the shaft, or stand far away from the ball with a very upright stance. Neither of these is very comfortable and my swing feels very awkward and clumsy. Is this a situation in where I have to get clubs shortened /adjusted? I am pretty short at 5ft 7in so I'm guessing thats why I"m having these issues?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Angry Asian posted:

Hey guys, a newbie golfer here... I've noticed that to get the club flat on the ground I have to either, choke up quite a bit on the shaft, or stand far away from the ball with a very upright stance. Neither of these is very comfortable and my swing feels very awkward and clumsy. Is this a situation in where I have to get clubs shortened /adjusted? I am pretty short at 5ft 7in so I'm guessing thats why I"m having these issues?

Go take a lesson, it's probably more mechanics related than anything unless you're really oddly proportioned since 5'7" shouldn't be out of the norm for standard length shafts, but a pro would be able to help you with that too.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Angry Asian posted:

As a newbie myself, only about to start my 3rd season of play, I support Shrapnig's response and want to add that it seems a lot of people's bodies are already ready to commit to a certain way of swinging, and anything else does seem "awkward and clumsy". Usually, the "comfortable" was is indeed wrong, and it takes a lot of practice to become comfortable with a more "proper" swing. I really wish I'd taken a lesson myself.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Angry Asian posted:

Could be a weird setup issue, but could also be a lie issue. If the lie is all messed up on your clubs then it could cause this to happen. Take them to a place like Golf Galaxy/Golfsmith and ask them to check the lie.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
if you are 5'7" and have reasonably long arms or short legs you might need to go down 3 degrees "flat" from where your clubs are now. It will make sense once you get on a lie board.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
If I were to be out in Joshua Tree for a film shoot next week, which desert course would you recommend I go play the day after my shoot wraps? :)

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
It really depends on how much money you want to spend. Both Indian Wells courses are really nice for a mid-range price. All of the PGA West courses are great and if you want to get crazy go play the Stadium course for $250 or whatever they charge right now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My parents are in Orlando on a trip and got to play Bay Hill :manning:

They ran into Arnold Palmer himself and just sent me a picture of them with him. :manning::manning:

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
If you are like me and you secretly enjoy watching The Big Break then tomorrow is the first round of the Valspar Championship where last season's winner Jimmy Brandt earned exemption. I'm curious to see if he'll break 80 although I wouldn't bet on it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

My parents are in Orlando on a trip and got to play Bay Hill :manning:

They ran into Arnold Palmer himself and just sent me a picture of them with him. :manning::manning:

Wow that's pretty awesome! Did they know someone to get on? Usually you have to stay there for 2 nights to be able to play if you aren't a member.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

Wow that's pretty awesome! Did they know someone to get on? Usually you have to stay there for 2 nights to be able to play if you aren't a member.

I think they were in some organized outing.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

DJExile posted:

I think they were in some organized outing.

I prefer disorganized outings myself, but to each their own I guess.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Seymour Butts posted:

If you are like me and you secretly enjoy watching The Big Break then tomorrow is the first round of the Valspar Championship where last season's winner Jimmy Brandt earned exemption. I'm curious to see if he'll break 80 although I wouldn't bet on it.

I can't see him making the cut but you never know. The current season of BB has several guys with a better chance of making it on tour I think. I'd never really watched BB prior to last season, it's decent.

There are patches of grass showing up through the snow around here, tomorrow and Monday are both supposed to be upper 40s and partly sunny so I should get out to the range both days. Will be the first opportunity for me to see my distance and ball flight with my J40s, I'm psyched. They feel amazing hitting into a net in my garage.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

Seymour Butts posted:

He broke 80 and is beating Charley Hoffman and John Daly. But 76 puts you at T138 11 shots back.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Doyzer posted:

But 76 puts you at T138 11 shots back.

Every time I go golfing on the LA public courses and I shoot mid 80s and feel great about myself, I try and remember these numbers, on professional length and difficulty courses.

Then I go back to the range to hit more balls. :getin:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I went to the driving range today, which is amazing. I think this time last year in MN it was probably about -10 out with 3 feet of snow on the ground.

I didn't play much last year at all and when I did I was really really inconsistent. Well I must say I hit the ball beautifully at the range today. The first shot I hit was a little half swing lob wedge from ~70 yards and it stopped like a foot from the flag I was hitting at.

I was most happy with how I hit my driver though, I had nothing but problems with my driver last year so I'm hopeful things will be better this year.

I would like to get a membership this year, but it will depend on whether or not I get a new job, gotta save up to buy a house :(.

But who knows, maybe this will be the year I get my handicap back down, or maybe it's the year I finally play a round with zinc?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The driving range I wanted to go to is the only year-round one in the area. I drove over yesterday afternoon to find the parking lot 100% full, with half a dozen cars parked along the street. The range was still entirely covered with snow too so you wouldn't even be able to tell where your balls were landing. I just kept on driving and hit some in my garage when I got home, it was pretty disappointing. They open at noon on weekdays so I might shoot over on Monday if it's decent out, although I was really hoping they wouldn't still have snow.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
It is 70+ degrees here and I am stuck with the girlfriend all weekend. We drove by a course that was covered with green grass and packed full of people playing. :negative:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So not only did my parents run into Arnie but they got to play 2 holes with Bubba loving Watson. :manning:

They said he's very nice (dad: "His drive is just scary in person") and an awesome story-teller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My god. This Valspar champonship... Spieth and Moore just doing what they can to lose.

edit: Oh man this playoff is the tits.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 15, 2015