Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
So glad Spieth won over Reed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Played 36 this weekend.

Saturday, I had to drive 45 minutes out for an 8:30 tee time. I show up borderline completely asleep without taking a single practice swing. Finish bogey, bogey, bogey to shoot 73.

Now I'm kinda convinced I should take sleeping pills before I play golf.

Sunday wasn't as good. The course had spiked greens, so putting was a total crapshoot. Ended up shooting 80 but never felt comfortable with my swing.

I've got some good things working and absolutely love my new irons. Just gotta keep at it! I'm working on keeping my hands connected to my chest. It feels insanely over the top to me, but I have to stop my right arm from collapsing and getting stuck against my side.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
I picked this stupid coin game up for $10 in a golf shop while I was on vacation last month: http://www.amazon.com/ProActive-JKC001-Ka-Ching-Game/dp/B0013V5HXK/

I finally got around to playing it yesterday with some folks from my golf club. Holy poo poo, this is the best $10 I ever spent. The game itself is pretty simple and could be done on paper, but having the physical coins just makes it so much more fun. Coins were changing hands pretty much every hole, there was plenty of taunting and joking about it.

I dunno if you could play it in a group of strangers, though. Might cause fistfights :)

UnionCarbide fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 16, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

UnionCarbide posted:

I picked this stupid coin game up for $10 in a golf shop while I was on vacation last month: http://www.amazon.com/ProActive-JKC001-Ka-Ching-Game/dp/B0013V5HXK/

I finally got around to playing it yesterday with some folks from my golf club. Holy poo poo, this is the best $10 I ever spent. The game itself is pretty simple and could be done on paper, but having the physical coins just makes it so much more fun. Coins were changing hands pretty much every hole, there was plenty of taunting and joking about it.

I dunno if you could play it in a group of strangers, though. Might cause fistfights :)

I generally just play 'Wolf' when I am playing with friends, I feel like we'd lose the coins mid-round.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

I generally just play 'Wolf' when I am playing with friends, I feel like we'd lose the coins mid-round.

Is that the game where every hole one dude chooses to take on the others to see who gets best score? That's fun as hell.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm going to California on a conference next week and flying USAir. My clubs are going and I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Here's the deal.

I'm already going to have to check a bag. First bag on USAir going domestic is $25. The rules about golf equipment are oddly specific.

quote:

One piece of golf equipment will be accepted in lieu of a piece of baggage (one per person). A pull cart may be included if it is attached to a golf bag. Golf equipment should be enclosed with a cover to prevent loss of contents. Hard sided carriers are recommended. If the golf bag contains anything other than golf equipment and is intended to be used as baggage, then the oversize baggage fee applies.

One item of golf equipment consists of:
1 golf bag, containing no more than 14 golf clubs
12 golf balls
1 pair of golf shoes

Weight limits say anything over 50 lbs is oversize. I can't imagine an Ogio Grom, 14 Pings and 2 shoes are over 50 lbs, but that's not counting the big rear end travel bag it'll all go in. And even the best travel bags (this is a Sun Mountain with a sort of kick-out set of legs that let the thing roll drat near effortlessly) are still cumbersome in airports because, well, they're big bulky golf bags!

So my choice is basically to pay $35 per trip to check the things on the flight as a second checked bag, or just ship the drat things which should cost anywhere from $55 to $gently caress each way as near as I can estimate. There's a lot to be said for convenience and not having to haul the things from parking lot to check-in, then baggage claim to hotel and back again, but anyone who's had any experience with shipping, please let me know how it went for you.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
A hard shell case, four five bag, and shoes and clubs and dozens of balls stayed within 50 lbs, so did other people's soft travel bags with legs, the weight limit is not a problem.

I did hard shell bag with luggage and carryon and I'd do it again with a soft kick out leg bag any time. And that was with a shuttle bus to SFO long term parking. But I'm afraid of doing new things.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

DJExile posted:

The rules about golf equipment are oddly specific.

I routinely violate these rules. Nobody's going to check, as long as your bag is under 50. Last time I flew (in Feb, down to Newport Beach), I packed 4 golf shirts into an eBags medium packing cube and stuck them in the big pocket on my golf bag, plus a box of balls, a full ball pocket, shoes, shoe maintenance shite, and assorted other random crap. I think they'll use it as an excuse not to reimburse you if any of your poo poo gets broken, though.

Travel cases/covers aren't too bad to drag around, either. Hard covers can be kind of a pain as you can't take them off and fold them up to fit your clubs into the trunk of a rental car, but they do protect a bit more than a soft cover. Like sarehu, I did long term parking at SFO last time, which is practically in a different county than the airport. Usually I take BART to the airport and it's not any more of a problem there, unless I'm on the train during peak commute hours.

An alternative to shipping or flying with your clubs is to use http://www.clubhub.com/ which will rent you a set of taylormades and deliver them to your destination for about the same price as shipping via fedex.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DJExile posted:

Is that the game where every hole one dude chooses to take on the others to see who gets best score? That's fun as hell.

That's the game. It pairs well with beer for every putt over par game we play. Although generally the guys I play with I tend to go lone wolf a lot unless it's a par3 where one of my buddies always seems to birdie every par3, but double bogies everything else. It's pretty fun though, especially when you're playing for money :D

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UnionCarbide posted:

I routinely violate these rules. Nobody's going to check, as long as your bag is under 50. Last time I flew (in Feb, down to Newport Beach), I packed 4 golf shirts into an eBags medium packing cube and stuck them in the big pocket on my golf bag, plus a box of balls, a full ball pocket, shoes, shoe maintenance shite, and assorted other random crap. I think they'll use it as an excuse not to reimburse you if any of your poo poo gets broken, though.

Travel cases/covers aren't too bad to drag around, either. Hard covers can be kind of a pain as you can't take them off and fold them up to fit your clubs into the trunk of a rental car, but they do protect a bit more than a soft cover. Like sarehu, I did long term parking at SFO last time, which is practically in a different county than the airport. Usually I take BART to the airport and it's not any more of a problem there, unless I'm on the train during peak commute hours.

An alternative to shipping or flying with your clubs is to use http://www.clubhub.com/ which will rent you a set of taylormades and deliver them to your destination for about the same price as shipping via fedex.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I think I'll just fly with the things this time. Shipping is definitely getting cheaper from where it was though.

thebushcommander posted:

That's the game. It pairs well with beer for every putt over par game we play. Although generally the guys I play with I tend to go lone wolf a lot unless it's a par3 where one of my buddies always seems to birdie every par3, but double bogies everything else. It's pretty fun though, especially when you're playing for money :D

Thought so. Yeah it's a riot.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Apparently Taylormade sales dipped 28% in 2014. Maybe this "new clubs every month" thing is finally catching up to them.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

shyduck posted:

Apparently Taylormade sales dipped 28% in 2014. Maybe this "new clubs every month" thing is finally catching up to them.

I'm two fitting sessions into custom fitting right now, and I will never buy a club at a box store again. Hello 43.5" 9.5 degree driver, where have you been my entire life???

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

shyduck posted:

I think it was mostly SLDR selling like crazy the previous year and Jetspeed being largely ignored last year, despite the fact that your typical amateur would probably benefit more from JS than SLDR (at least for drivers/woods, no idea how the rest of the sets stack up). Or maybe my timeline is off and I'm entirely wrong, that's always a possibility.

Are there any golfer goons in VA, southern PA, or anywhere in that general vicinity? I'm curious how far south I'd have to go to find playable courses around two weeks from now, my whole family is sick to death of winter and we're thinking about a mini vacation of golf and hiking or something.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Every second Saturday I play with my old man for :10bux: He's currently playing off a 13hc while I'm 3. Pretty generous head start I reckon.

He was looking confident after 4 holes, then I decided to stop being a spastic:

Missed a 3 foot curler for birdie on the last :(

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Halo14 posted:

Every second Saturday I play with my old man for :10bux: He's currently playing off a 13hc while I'm 3. Pretty generous head start I reckon.

mmf baby got back

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Halo14 posted:

drat that's a fantastic back 9.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Thanks, the very next day I had matchplay against a 15 year old and lost on the 17th. Granted he had a golf scholarship at one of Sydney's most exclusive clubs but I'll never live down the shame :(

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Last week was Spring Break for me.

Pros:
    - Played 90 holes Monday - Friday. That was awesome.
    - Birdied last two holes to shoot even on Tuesday.
    - Shot +4 or better all 5 days.

Cons:
    - Didn't break par any of the days, and none of the courses I played were difficult. Just rusty enough all around to keep me above par.
    - Had a <5 footer for birdie on both my 27th hole Monday and my 18th hole Friday to shoot even for the round. Missed them both.
    - The rain that was scheduled during the week but before my round at the Golf Club of Houston (where the Shell Houston Open is played) shifted to later in the week, destroying my chances of playing. I'll have to try to play in a couple of weeks, like after the Masters. Bummer.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Halo14 posted:

You used driver on everyhole including the par 3s ? :D Also tell that course to grow a pair already, it's 1300 yards shorter than my "home" course from the member tees and 1550 shorter than the tips!

Had my second round out this year after the first outing being all around terrible. Shot an 87 though, my chipping was still atrocious, driving on point, putting improved.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

thebushcommander posted:

You used driver on everyhole including the par 3s ? :D Also tell that course to grow a pair already, it's 1300 yards shorter than my "home" course from the member tees and 1550 shorter than the tips!

Had my second round out this year after the first outing being all around terrible. Shot an 87 though, my chipping was still atrocious, driving on point, putting improved.

Haha I can't hit a driver to save my life. I'm just too lazy to select the club in GolfShot :)

What are these yards you talk about? We have metric here! All in meters. Still not the longest course I guess.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Halo14 posted:

Haha I can't hit a driver to save my life. I'm just too lazy to select the club in GolfShot :)

What are these yards you talk about? We have metric here! All in meters. Still not the longest course I guess.

Still 5500 M is 6000 yards, that to me sounds like every par 4 is driveable unless it's a weird layout

my normal course plays 6,600 meters from the tips. Of course there is a par5 that's 600 yards long so the rest of the course isn't bad!

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
6000 isn't too absurd on a Par 70 with only eight par-4s. A few doglegs and some reachable par-5s can really bring the yardage down even if the par-4s are respectable.

I'm going to guess there are issues with pace of play on that course, though. Par 5s next to Par 3s are bad news and it's chock full of them.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Lots of elevation changes, knee high rough and a few holes with blind approach shots but if you're on your game you can tear it up. Course record I think is 65. No 2 holes are similar and its a lot of fun to play.

A lot of courses closer to Sydney are these cramped par ~66 layouts. Not much fun - just par 3s n 4s with trees everywhere.

Longest I've played was one 6,680 meters from the black tees. Had the pleasure of experiencing 30km/h winds on that day. It was not pretty.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Ugh. Why did my dumb rear end put off until now to get Carpal Tunnel surgery?

Anyways, my left hand gets cut tomorrow, and the right a couple weeks later. I've read mostly that you shouldn't swing a club for 6-ish weeks. Anyone have any experiences with that?

At least the weather here is still pretty terrible and it'll be at least another month before any courses are playable.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Nerdrock posted:

Ugh. Why did my dumb rear end put off until now to get Carpal Tunnel surgery?

Anyways, my left hand gets cut tomorrow, and the right a couple weeks later. I've read mostly that you shouldn't swing a club for 6-ish weeks. Anyone have any experiences with that?

At least the weather here is still pretty terrible and it'll be at least another month before any courses are playable.

Get better soon GolfBro. I'd just recommend practicing your putting until you hate doing it. And then do it some more.And then do more.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

runoverbobby posted:

I'm going to guess there are issues with pace of play on that course, though. Par 5s next to Par 3s are bad news and it's chock full of them.

Oh god, one of my favorite courses (despite this problem) goes 5-3-4-3-4-3.

The front nine takes FORFUCKINGEVER. All of the pace of play issues would be solved by switching the nines, IMHO.

Not illustrated on the scorecard: the loving ravine you have to hit over on 6 that I'm surprised you can't just walk to the other side across the balls that have been hit into it.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/03/aaron-baddeley-crazy-birdie-video.html

Baddeley yanked his first tee shot OB on a drivable par 4. Re-teed, holed his next shot for birdie.

Insane.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

zinc68 posted:

Get better soon GolfBro. I'd just recommend practicing your putting until you hate doing it. And then do it some more.And then do more.

Welp : Left hand is done. I asked the surgeon and he was pretty liberal with activities compared to a lot of the posting I've seen online. He tells me the only limitation of activities is my tolerance for pain. He claims "the body tells you if you're doing something you shouldn't. just kind of listen to it". More specifically, as soon as a week passes and my cast/brace is removed, swing a club and see what happens. So : that's interesting.

edit : oh god it itches. I long for death's sweet embrace.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 27, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Kameh posted:

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/03/aaron-baddeley-crazy-birdie-video.html

Baddeley yanked his first tee shot OB on a drivable par 4. Re-teed, holed his next shot for birdie.

Insane.

That is insane. I didn't start watching until right around when Phil's 8 iron head snapped off in the bunker. What I really want to know though, why did Hoffman chop off his mullet? :(

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Nerdrock posted:

Welp : Left hand is done. I asked the surgeon and he was pretty liberal with activities compared to a lot of the posting I've seen online. He tells me the only limitation of activities is my tolerance for pain. He claims "the body tells you if you're doing something you shouldn't. just kind of listen to it". More specifically, as soon as a week passes and my cast/brace is removed, swing a club and see what happens. So : that's interesting.

There's a video out there somewhere of a self hitting driver that I was going to link but I can't find it :(

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

EnsGDT posted:

There's a video out there somewhere of a self hitting driver that I was going to link but I can't find it :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhCtkZbLpWs

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

My problem was that I was searching for one I swear I'd seen in one of the Caddyshack movies.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Nerdrock posted:

My problem was that I was searching for one I swear I'd seen in one of the Caddyshack movies.

Are you thinking of the self-aiming putter?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

zinc68 posted:

Are you thinking of the self-aiming putter?

It's been over a decade since i've seen Caddyshack 2, but i swear I'd also seen jack use drat near exactly the self hitting driver for a shot.

I need to track it down now. Neither netflix nor amazon prime instant have it. :(

Edit: the wife rented it on amazon for me, as she's being extra nice because of my current misery. I'd forgotten how bad it is.

Here it is, as I'm currently too lazy to do a proper capture :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHfYNF8Sk8s

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 28, 2015

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Nerdrock posted:

Edit: the wife rented it on amazon for me, as she's being extra nice because of my current misery. I'd forgotten how bad it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHfYNF8Sk8s

TIL that Nerdrock's wife likes to salt the wound.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

UnionCarbide posted:

TIL that Nerdrock's wife likes to salt the wound.

Yeah. She's also exploiting my lack of ability to play video games and has been playing Binding of Isaac on the PS4 loving non-stop since the surgery.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Good news. Played heron bay this past Saturday from the tips and broke par for the first time since I started playing again! 71 playing 7300 yards, so that felt loving awesome.

My swing felt awesome. I FINALLY felt like I'm not getting stuck against my right side and, as a result, my accuracy and consistency was a billion times better.

Bad news. When I get unsynced and my arms get behind my chest, I can't right the ship and the results are very sad. I stopped keeping score Sunday, but the round featured numerous tops and shanks--plus everything felt like a weak sideswipe (because it was).

I've got a new thought working that seems to help me avoid the issue, but so far it's untested other than on practice swings. Practice swings feel phenomenal though.

Also, I'm thinking about taking a trip up to play Cabot Lodge and Cabot Cliffs. Anyone ever been?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Omerta posted:

Also, I'm thinking about taking a trip up to play Cabot Lodge and Cabot Cliffs. Anyone ever been?

My god those courses look spectacular.

I swung my sticks for the first time since October last week out in Palm Springs. And.... all things considered (105 degrees, unknown course, hit like 3 balls on the range, tired from travel the previous day), I could have done much worse.

I could do almost no wrong at the tee box. My driver is my 4W off the deck (I hosed up recording holes 1-3, those were all with 4W) and I've loved it. I'm catching it very clean and getting a fantastic flight out of it. We started on #12 in an outing. I topped the poo poo out of it on #13 then got into a rhythm after a bit. Super proud of saving myself on #16. My approach and pitching/chipping was anywhere from middling to a disaster, but that's not shocking given I haven't played in a while. Putter wasn't great. I would get gunshy after hammering it by a few cups, then overcompensate back the other way, and never got into a balance. I was in sand more than I care to admit but I was actually pretty decent getting out, so it's nice to know that game hasn't totally left me.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Like my favorite hockey teams (:suicide:), I have decided to take up golfing. Unlike said teams, I haven't golfed in 11 years. I understand practice makes perfect, but how far should I go before getting lessons from a golf pro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Like my favorite hockey teams (:suicide:), I have decided to take up golfing. Unlike said teams, I haven't golfed in 11 years. I understand practice makes perfect, but how far should I go before getting lessons from a golf pro?

If you can swing and reliably make contact (even if the contact sucks), I'd say lessons are fine at any point. Good instructors can help you from almost any level.