Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I've gotta say I don't like his caddie setting up over the putt himself, and standing behind Clark to help align him (even though they both back off before putting which makes it legal). Him and Harman both play pretty slow which was especially painful to watch during the last couple majors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

I've gotta say I don't like his caddie setting up over the putt himself, and standing behind Clark to help align him (even though they both back off before putting which makes it legal). Him and Harman both play pretty slow which was especially painful to watch during the last couple majors.

Yeah it's weird, not a huge fan myself - caddie holding a wedge 1/8" from a live ball was giving me the sweats all day. Combined with all the coverage of his sports psychologist it makes him out quite the headcase, but it's working for him and not breaking any rules so fuckin' do your thing man.

Harman's setup is excruciating to watch, but after he held out and stuck it to the entire trash-talking gallery and dickbag media at Royal Liverpool last year I will forever be a fan.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

iNteg posted:

that would be sick, ill shoot you a PM and we'll talk for sure. I need more local golf friends, all of mine live up in Rochester Hills/Oxford etc etc.

Warren Valley near me had a black friday deal last year that was unlimited golf/cart for 1500 bucks, and i was tempted because they rehabbed the west course i think, and they'll have 36 holes going hopefully this year.

xsf421 posted:

Definitely. I live in western Ann Arbor, but I grew up near Pontiac and know how hard it is to get anywhere up there. I can also get us into the UofM golf course for staff rates ($79/cart on weekends) if you'd like to give that a go. https://umgolfcourse.umich.edu/

Hey Michigoons!

I’m in Ferndale. My home course is Rackham in Huntington Woods. PM me! All of my playing partners now have multiple kids so it’s hard to get out. I’m a big fan of grabbing the first tee time and getting home before 10:30.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dr. Capco posted:

Think i toss a non essential object into the water if I'm clark there.

I'd just dunk my head in the lake and scream.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

It's weird how all the contenders were shocked by what happened on 18. Scottie's approach spun the wrong way, Harman's ball checked up hard even coming out of the pine straw, then Clark's ball did the full 180.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Aggro posted:

Hey Michigoons!

I’m in Ferndale. My home course is Rackham in Huntington Woods. PM me! All of my playing partners now have multiple kids so it’s hard to get out. I’m a big fan of grabbing the first tee time and getting home before 10:30.

I don't work Fridays (and no kids), so I'm usually out by 10am on friday for a 3 hour round. My only time at Rackham was about 5h30, I haven't been back since.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Aggro posted:

Hey Michigoons!

no kids, just dogs, and my wife is fine with me golfing whenever, I work from home, so i'm flexible at getting out for certain things, and just like i said to xsf, i have a membership to a sim club in lake orion, you'd be welcome to join me for a round up there if you don't mind sim golf.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJp1ad-y_zU

Pretty entertaining and some good golf to boot. EAL almost makes me want to get a LAB putter fitting.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Anyone have thoughts on "driving irons", those long irons that are big and hollow but still kind of iron-shaped?

After another round of good driving and irons but disastrous hybrid play I think I might take the hybrids out of the bag for a while and put my 4 and 5 iron back in. No matter how I try to fix things, I always have and toe-biased miss patter with the hybrids, and I seem to be mentally compensating when I try things like adjusting the ball placement and other things. My other clubs also have a toe-bias but it's not nearly as bad, on the hybrids it's in overdrive.

It will take some serious range work to figure out, so while I work on that I'm thinking of trying some driving irons and maybe adding one to the bag to fill the gap that used to be filled by my 3, 4, and 5 hybrid which all go further than my 4 iron.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Urethane posted:

Anyone have thoughts on "driving irons", those long irons that are big and hollow but still kind of iron-shaped?

After another round of good driving and irons but disastrous hybrid play I think I might take the hybrids out of the bag for a while and put my 4 and 5 iron back in. No matter how I try to fix things, I always have and toe-biased miss patter with the hybrids, and I seem to be mentally compensating when I try things like adjusting the ball placement and other things. My other clubs also have a toe-bias but it's not nearly as bad, on the hybrids it's in overdrive.

It will take some serious range work to figure out, so while I work on that I'm thinking of trying some driving irons and maybe adding one to the bag to fill the gap that used to be filled by my 3, 4, and 5 hybrid which all go further than my 4 iron.
Driving irons, although easier to hit than long irons, are generally difficult to hit. You can give them a shot but may have more success with a 7 wood or 9 wood, especially to stop the ball on the green.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Josh Lyman posted:

Driving irons, although easier to hit than long irons, are generally difficult to hit. You can give them a shot but may have more success with a 7 wood or 9 wood, especially to stop the ball on the green.

This. The 7 wood addition to my bag was such a surprise to me. I eventually worked a hybrid back in (I like it from deeper rough), but the 7 wood has become my, "when nothing is working, hit the club that always works" club.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Urethane posted:

As a Hybrid lover it's my uneducated opinion that people who struggle with their hybrids try to hit them like a 5 wood with a sweeping motion. Instead, they should be swinging them like a 7 iron.

The other problem is that if you don't get fitted for the right ones you can end up with a model that has lots of draw bias.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Once I figured out how to hit it and set it up with the right loft/draw bias that suited me, my Tour Edge C723 4 hybrid became my favorite long club. My E723 3 hybrid has gotten me out of some scrapes as well.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

torgeaux posted:

This. The 7 wood addition to my bag was such a surprise to me. I eventually worked a hybrid back in (I like it from deeper rough), but the 7 wood has become my, "when nothing is working, hit the club that always works" club.
Also look at callaway’s heavenwoods - they are something like a 7wood head on something like a 3wood shaft

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

daslog posted:

As a Hybrid lover it's my uneducated opinion that people who struggle with their hybrids try to hit them like a 5 wood with a sweeping motion. Instead, they should be swinging them like a 7 iron.

The other problem is that if you don't get fitted for the right ones you can end up with a model that has lots of draw bias.

Yeah I think it's some combination of feeling like I need a different swing, plus the head profile being so different from irons that I don't have much consistency in the feel of swinging to a center hit.

Floofy
Jan 17, 2004
As a golf idiot, I assumed that 7, 9, 11.. woods were things old people had and turned into hybrids more recently. I had bought an old Calloway 7 wood that matched my mismatched 3 wood and treated it like hitting a wood with moderate success.

With the new set I just got, I have a 4 hybrid which I assumed I’d just use like another wood. Is that not the case? I don’t want to think it’s garbage and never use it if I’m actually trying to hit it wrong

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I have both a 7 wood and 3 hybrid that I swap out depending on wind conditions, they both carry the same distance. I vastly prefer the 7 wood, it's easier for me to hit, goes super high and stops quickly. 3h flies significantly lower and rolls out 2-3 times as far as the wood. The 3h is also a stealth 2+, so it's fade biased and much less likely to go left, which is an issue for me. Swing your hybrid like a 7 iron, hit down on the ball and enjoy it.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xsf421 posted:

I have both a 7 wood and 3 hybrid that I swap out depending on wind conditions, they both carry the same distance. I vastly prefer the 7 wood, it's easier for me to hit, goes super high and stops quickly. 3h flies significantly lower and rolls out 2-3 times as far as the wood. The 3h is also a stealth 2+, so it's fade biased and much less likely to go left, which is an issue for me. Swing your hybrid like a 7 iron, hit down on the ball and enjoy it.

I have this problem with my 4h, where no matter wtf i do, i'm hitting it off the toe, it's a club i don't use very much because i'm consistently not hitting it well, usually due to that. i wonder if i hit down on the ball more it might lead to a more centered contact point.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Top of bag is currently 3W, 5W, 4h

Would I be a crazy person to go 3W, 5W, 7W?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kirios posted:

That’s a totally normal setup. It will depend on your actual distance gapping but it’ll probably work.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Currently it’s 3W 220 5W 205 4H 185-190. I don’t love my 4H.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I need to get me a 7w so I can join the 4w/7w crew

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Guys, guys, guys!!!

I just had my eureka moment on the 12th hole. I now know my feel for a square face at impact. Total, utter game changer. My shots are all going left (but that’s not important right now).

I fired off two drives, both went left - figured what to change in my swing, third had a lovely fade.

Look at that grouping, also, lovely winter greens and a truck on the fairway.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

GEMorris posted:

I need to get me a 7w so I can join the 4w/7w crew

Once you go 7 wood you never go back. My league course has a few holes where the doglegs start at 200 yards from the tee and the 7 wood rarely fails me.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Kirios posted:

My wife is a +3 and that’s what she has, so no.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Omerta posted:

My wife is a +3

Wait, what?

How do I find one of these better than scratch wifes? Or, probably the better option, teach my current wife to be better than scratch lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

daslog posted:

Once you go 7 wood you never go back. My league course has a few holes where the doglegs start at 200 yards from the tee and the 7 wood rarely fails me.

Echoing the 7 wood love, it's been the most consistent club in my bag since it went in and it's perfect for the above scenario.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

4w/7w crew member checking in. Definitely demo one to get your distance, 7w replaced 3h for me as my 240 club.

Floofy
Jan 17, 2004
What’s the difference between hybrids and 7-9-11.. woods?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Shaft length and the size/composition of the head.

Woods will have a significantly longer shaft for the same loft, as well as a much bigger hollow head.

You're meant to swing a hybrid like an iron, whereas fairway woods are swung like, well, fairway woods.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1m0iNynCtA

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

BCRock posted:

Shaft length and the size/composition of the head.

Woods will have a significantly longer shaft for the same loft, as well as a much bigger hollow head.

You're meant to swing a hybrid like an iron, whereas fairway woods are swung like, well, fairway woods.

The swing part is the only thing keeping me from committing to woods, I don't know how to do a fairway wood swing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Urethane posted:

The swing part is the only thing keeping me from committing to woods, I don't know how to do a fairway wood swing.

The 7 wood is a great way to learn on because the shaft is shorter making It a bit more forgiving.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Honestly I pull out the ancient Big Bertha 5W and put the modern 4Hybrid away half the time. I can't get myself to hit it like an iron, it's not in my power. I'd rather hit a 5 iron than the hybrid.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ElGroucho posted:

Honestly I pull out the ancient Big Bertha 5W and put the modern 4Hybrid away half the time. I can't get myself to hit it like an iron, it's not in my power. I'd rather hit a 5 iron than the hybrid.

I used to be that way. My 5i was my go to, hit it from anywhere, could shape it, hit it from 150-205 at will. But, finally found my hybrid swing/stance and I can get it higher and from worse lies. Now, the 5i gets use when I need a running ball at distance.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So since I've been hurt I built a club workshop and have read a ton from different golf fitters and club builders. Modern off the rack club lengths on drivers, woods, and sometimes hybrids are meant to do one thing, give the clubfitter one or two really good shots they can point at when telling the golfer a new driver is really going to give them 20+ yards.

All of them are too long for 90-95% of golfers.

I'll defer to Tom Wishon, the guy who made MOI matching approachable (by inventing a machine to measure it properly) and who is highly respected in the club building and fitting world: Wishon on Club Length

Because OEMs know they will be selling clubs at these lengths, they design their head weights for it, which is why I think people should avoid clubs that don't have adjustable weights (or are willing to take it to a shop or buy a hotmelt setup) to manage their swingweights post club shortening.

Tangentially, I personally feel (mostly from synthesizing the opinions of multiple fitters and builders) that the average amateur golfer should probably be running driver, 4w, 7w, 5h, and maybe even 6h at the top of the bag. This is according to folks who aren't trying to sell you new clubs every year or inpress you on Instagram.

And mostly unrelated St. Andre actually made a relatively funny video.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 21, 2024

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Newbie that just dipped his toes in golf asking for used club purchase advice/help here:

So a couple months ago I did a 1.5 month golf training program with a pga pro just for kicks because the opportunity presented itself, having never even touched a golf club before. Now I feel like I'm officially hooked and during the whole program I was swinging my kitchen spatula at home to work on my form. While my nearby sim has decent-ish callaway strata loaner clubs (that I can finally hit straight and at their rated distances for the most part) I feel like I'm ready to start building my own club collection.

Just a few personal quirks to keep in mind here. Right now I'm very much in love with the physical aspect of golf, the body movement and ball striking. I'm not really that interested or feel ready to play rounds just yet. Would it be stupid of me to get something less forgiving (but below blades) and start with that so I can grow into it? I understand using those too early would make me rip my hair out in the course, but what if I just want to feel those good ole hits that by chance happen between a ton of hooks/slices and work on my swing/precision?

tl;dr: love ball striking, dont care about holes

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

nerdz posted:

Newbie that just dipped his toes in golf asking for used club purchase advice/help here:

So a couple months ago I did a 1.5 month golf training program with a pga pro just for kicks because the opportunity presented itself, having never even touched a golf club before. Now I feel like I'm officially hooked and during the whole program I was swinging my kitchen spatula at home to work on my form. While my nearby sim has decent-ish callaway strata loaner clubs (that I can finally hit straight and at their rated distances for the most part) I feel like I'm ready to start building my own club collection.

Just a few personal quirks to keep in mind here. Right now I'm very much in love with the physical aspect of golf, the body movement and ball striking. I'm not really that interested or feel ready to play rounds just yet. Would it be stupid of me to get something less forgiving (but below blades) and start with that so I can grow into it? I understand using those too early would make me rip my hair out in the course, but what if I just want to feel those good ole hits that by chance happen between a ton of hooks/slices and work on my swing/precision?

Get forgiving clubs. Even at a low handicap, they'll not be a limiting factor. Having consistency early on (and later) is easier with forgiving clubs.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

nerdz posted:

Try and find a used set. Check the model and avoid anything listed as "players" (these are your blades) or "super game improvement" (these are usually high flex shafts and super oversized/"muscle back" heads). Then once you get a season or two in you can start looking into "upgrading" or just play the clubs you got for as long as you want.

You should try and get some 9 hole rounds in though, those rare good shots feel even better when you land them on an actual fairway, or so I've heard.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the input!

I've done some research and bought two used iron sets at around the same price point (around $30 per iron), with free returns from ebay. I plan on keeping the one that makes the most sense for me and returning the other one. I'm going to the sim this weekend with both to compare them. Both are standard length, which feels right to me at 6ft.

1) 2015 mizuno jpx 850 forged, with extra stiff true temper dynamic gold shafts and MCC align grips. 7-GW, rated 'good' condition by the seller, $150. Its a beauty, the grips are amazing, lots of dings and bumps (not in the face though), the previous owner left a pretty impressive wear pattern on the sweet spot but the grooves feel sharp. This is the one that I feel could be a dumb way to start especially because of the x stiff shafts, but I'm thinking that I can use them to improve my ball striking and as short irons/wedges maybe I can get consistent enough with them compared to longer irons. I could complement them with more forgiving longer irons/woods/hybrids in my bag.

2) 2016 mizuno jpx ez forged, with stock standard shafts and grips. 4,6-8,PW,GW, rated 'excellent' condition by seller, $200. These really look brand new (like just shop testing usage, they probably never seen a divot), the range coverage is a lot wider with the 4i and 6i, it could probably be all I need for beginner par 3 courses. They are one step above the JPX 850 in forgiveness while still being forged and have standard shafts, both things that feel more adequate to a beginner.

From what I read, the JPX-850 is a GI set that dips into player's territory and the JPX EZ-F is one step below, very much in the GI set but probably less forgiving than non forged GIs.

So summing up, the EZ-F are in much better condition, cover more range, have a shaft flex that's probably good for me to start building my golf muscles and are more forgiving (while still being a forged GI club, so I still have my work cut out for me). I guess I'm being stubborn about the JPX-850 with x stiff flex shafts. I think once I finally try them out I'll have the answer I already know. If anyone has played them, I'd love hearing about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

GEMorris posted:

Tangentially, I personally feel (mostly from synthesizing the opinions of multiple fitters and builders) that the average amateur golfer should probably be running driver, 4w, 7w, 5h, and maybe even 6h at the top of the bag. This is according to folks who aren't trying to sell you new clubs every year or inpress you on Instagram.

This is close to what I play. Driver 4w 7w 4h 5h 6h 7i 8i 9i pw 48 54 58. I certainly am not an amazing golfer but I hit the hybrids better than all my friends hit their long irons.