Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I have exactly one ball that the sim gave me. It's a fun time at the chipping green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
Welp, went to the sim today, started my day not being able to hit anything, stopped playing, switched to the driving range and all of a sudden was able to pipe every club that’s not driver, straight and with power. Hit my 3w 230, 4h 190 with w 210 rollout, 7i 155 with a. 170 rollout. I pray to god that I can keep this feeling going, because it was easily the most put together I’ve felt with my bag in a long time.

I changed my first move and started immediately swinging more fluidly and far less rigidly. I’m around a 75-80mph swing speed with my 7i, my 3w was is typically 80 was getting near 90 with 130 ball speed.

This means that the next time I play I’m gonna swing like poo poo and play awful, but tonight was glorious and the possibilities showed up for an hour and a half tonight.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I wish Hogan would make left handed irons, I've been a fan of their wedges for a long while

ed: or at least, irons that aren't game-improvement

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 24, 2024

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

PGA Tour has finally announced their answer to the LIV buyouts.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2024/04/24/pga-tour-enterprises-player-equity-payouts

PGA Pros to get equity shares in the league. Some(Tiger/Rory) to get huge payouts upwards of 100 million.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

mattfl posted:

PGA Tour has finally announced their answer to the LIV buyouts.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2024/04/24/pga-tour-enterprises-player-equity-payouts

PGA Pros to get equity shares in the league. Some(Tiger/Rory) to get huge payouts upwards of 100 million.

you know from a "non-profit" entity, they sure have a shitload of money they can pull out of their loving asses when they need it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

iNteg posted:

you know from a "non-profit" entity, they sure have a shitload of money they can pull out of their loving asses when they need it.

lol ya, this is all coming from the newly formed for profit entity called PGA Tour Enterprises which received the money for these equity shares from a group called Strategic Sports Group. SSG contains some really, extremely wealthy people, John Henry (principal, Fenway Sports Group) Steven Cohen (owner, chairman & CEO, New York Mets; chairman & CEO, Point72; owner, TGL New York) Arthur Blank (co-founder, Home Depot; owner and chairman, AMB Sports and Entertainment) Tom Werner (chairman, Fenway Sports Group).

This(SSG) group was formed, rumors are, to compete against the PIF group that also wants to invest into the PGA Tour Enterprises for profit entity.

It's all very shady and the SSG group kinda came out outta nowhere, probably to keep the PIF group from actually owning anything on the PGA tour even though it was announced they were supposedly forming some sort of partnership.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Pulled out the Eyeline Speed trap after a year of not using it. I've been working on getting rid of my over the top move for years and it really helps.

It also amazes me how easy it is to revert back to my bad habits and how foreign it feels to swing in to out with the driver.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
got a bad pollen allergy last time I went to the course and coughed/sneezed so much I pulled a muscle on my right flank, the one you contract during impact. In a way it was a golf related injury and I'll be only chipping for a while

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

nerdz posted:

got a bad pollen allergy last time I went to the course and coughed/sneezed so much I pulled a muscle on my right flank, the one you contract during impact. In a way it was a golf related injury and I'll be only chipping for a while

When you say flank where do you mean? If its anything like an intercostal pull do not gently caress around and def take it easy to heal.

Speaking of which I'm now far enough along in physical therapy that I can actually play golf again.

Good: my swing has improved and so have my distances. I'm missing left but I'll take it over my wicked slice pre-injury. This was at a par3 pitch and putt so I still don't know about my metalwoods.

Bad: I'm glad I play cheap balls and buy them in bulk (Wilson Duo Optix). In the first two holes I lost three, although I did find one of them later (turns out I was losing visual on them and smashing them into the woods behind the hole due to using my pre-injury and old-equipment distances). All told I lost 5 in about 24 holes (hitting two balls per hole because it wasn't crowded and it was all you can play).

Ugly: holy crap the greens only met that definition on a technicality that the weeds which comprised them are green in color. Absolute clown show trying to putt with any predictability. I know you get what you pay for and I had a good time, but I'm not sure I'll go back much as putting is at least half of the point of a pitch and putt.

Uglier (bonus): my wedge play is atrocious and my toe down chipping isn't much better. Off green putting and hybrid chipping are the only things working for me right now. Strongly considering a chipper as my full bag loadout only includes 13 clubs.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
nah it's somewhere under my diaphragm, from coughing too much. I noticed a full or even half swing makes it worse so yeah I'll take my time healing. But I can chip and putt so I'll keep doing that, it was amazing for my contact and I got a new sand wedge. Chipping greens being free are such a useful and cheap tool.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Playing like absolute dogshit my last couple rounds off the tee and in the fairway. Struggling with a back that resembles the age of a man much older than me.

It turns out bending the legs a little more and becoming a little less upright works well for me. Everything has a little more of a fade to it but I can absolutely nuke the ball off the tee again. Is this just regaining flexibility I lost through injury in my address of the ball, or is the body able to flex more in a more crouched position normally? I’m struggling to remember if this was actually how I used to swing, I took a lot of time off from the game.

I feel like these are definitely the questions of a golfer entering their 40’s.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mcqueen posted:

I feel like these are definitely the questions of a golfer entering their 40’s.

Just wait....

I played Wednesday, completely lost the ability to chip around the green. Every bogey was the result of just missing a green. On 14, finally just said gently caress it and laid open a 58 degree and unnecessarily flop shot a ball to two feet. Mediocre off the tee all day, no chipping ability, but hit the greens on the last five holes (6 of last 7) to par my way out of the last six holes and record a good score. Seven over after walking off 12, finished seven over.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Happy Friday.

And I’ve just found out the reason I’m waiting so long, two groups infront of me is a 4 ball with an average age of 80. And we don’t do carts.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKmvP1Jj-6Q

Did anyone watch this? I didn't even know it was a thing until I saw a thread on GolfWRX a few days ago. It was played back in March but the video and all associated content was embargoed until a few days ago for some reason.

I won't spoil anything, but I will say that I think stuff like this has the potential to really be popular going forward. This particular event and video was a little lacking in production, camera quality, yardage/club/score/etc. overlays, and some other minor nitpicks. But I do think it was a cool event and I could see it encouraging more content like it in the future. The video has 661k views this week, from a youtube channel that only has 10k subs.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
after I started golfing I tried to get into golf YouTube but pretty much everyone either had the the personality of cardboard or were just too gear centric and full of generic swing fixes to give you 30 yds. The comments were even worse. which YouTubers do you like? I've mostly stuck to watching golf distillery, Dan grieve and golf sidekick (who has very weird vibes but has good advice most of the time)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

nerdz posted:

after I started golfing I tried to get into golf YouTube but pretty much everyone either had the the personality of cardboard or were just too gear centric and full of generic swing fixes to give you 30 yds. The comments were even worse. which YouTubers do you like? I've mostly stuck to watching golf distillery, Dan grieve and golf sidekick (who has very weird vibes but has good advice most of the time)

Average golfer has some good course videos, avoid the credulous gear stuff, but he's not obnxious about it. No swing advice. Golfmates are just golf matches, basically, with a bunch of friends. Liam, the host, would be obnoxious to play with, but fun enough to watch.

Suprfli6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKmvP1Jj-6Q

Did anyone watch this? I didn't even know it was a thing until I saw a thread on GolfWRX a few days ago. It was played back in March but the video and all associated content was embargoed until a few days ago for some reason.

I won't spoil anything, but I will say that I think stuff like this has the potential to really be popular going forward. This particular event and video was a little lacking in production, camera quality, yardage/club/score/etc. overlays, and some other minor nitpicks. But I do think it was a cool event and I could see it encouraging more content like it in the future. The video has 661k views this week, from a youtube channel that only has 10k subs.

Peter Finch (one of the featured golfers) has his own video of this, following just him and his caddy. Better than his normal content.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 27, 2024

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I’ve been seeing clips of that from all the guys and hey what do you know, real golf is waaay harder than YouTube golf lol

Lankster NZ
Jul 21, 2007

Luke Kwon is putting out some good stuff now that he’s left Good Good.
His buddy Taco golf also has a nice channel. He does the usual rounds with the lads kind of deal much better than most, but also some really cool vids where there’s no/little talking but beautiful production e.g https://youtu.be/G9Ph9buwJgk?si=TyXSVRv7NMRjDRJV

And yea golf sidekick is a weirdo but he rules.

Lankster NZ fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 27, 2024

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

nerdz posted:

Matt Blois is one of the golf YouTubers I enjoy and trust the most since he suffered one of the greatest anime betrayals of all time split from txg
His gear reviews are honest, and his swing advice is non-gimmicky.

Golf Sidekick seems like the type of guy that would be a goon, but I don't think he is. He's the best person for learning course management, followed by not a Scratch Golfer imo.

If you want to learn about club building than Elite Fit Golf and McGolf Custom Clubs are what you want.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 27, 2024

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Seconding Golf Sidekick and Not A Scratch Golfer.

Both have good content for course management that is probably way more useful than 90% of the other stuff out there.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
No laying up film room is the best golf content on youtube imo. Golf sidekick is good but his content is really dry.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

abigserve posted:

No laying up film room is the best golf content on youtube imo. Golf sidekick is good but his content is really dry.

NLU doesn't put out much youtube content, but they also don't put out anything bad. I'm a big Peter Finch fan. He doesn't fall into the cycles of a lot of other golf youtubers of playing with gimmick clubs or silly rules. Just generally good golf and someone who's comfortable in front of the camera.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

GEMorris posted:

Matt Blois is one of the golf YouTubers I enjoy and trust the most since he suffered one of the greatest anime betrayals of all time split from txg
His gear reviews are honest, and his swing advice is non-gimmicky.

Lol, but also :(

Matty Boy is basically the closest youtube golfer to a robot when it comes to reviews, testing, etc. and I really want him to succeed but he needs someone like Ian to provide the personality in his videos.

Myrtle Q spoiler chat: I have watched many videos from every youtuber that was in the event over the past few years (mostly during the winter when golf in NY isn't happening). I am not at all surprised that George Bryan was the best scorer out of the content-creator side of the field. He is by far the most consistent and the best at taking the big miss out of play among all of the other youtubers who participated. I was rooting for him, especially with what Wesley just did on the Tour, and seeing him gently caress up his course management on the final hole stings. I'm not sure if he knew what the other groups finished at and that he only needed a par to win but he left his second shot in an absolutely horrid position with how the green and pin were set up so live and learn I guess. He and Grant seem like the most positive and upbeat people in the world though so I always want to see them play well. I figured FP wouldn't be able to shoot under par on a longer setup like this and that Tig is a headcase and has a knack for hitting balls into spots that you absolutely need to avoid and his club selection is pretty questionable most of the time. Cole's putting stroke was so stabby it was painful to watch. Peter Finch has always had a really solid game when he's playing well and is probably the best golfer out of the UK youtubers but also doesn't seem to play well in qualifiers or other high pressure events.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Lankster NZ posted:

His videos will definitely help you become more confidential in your game.

I like Rick Shiels too; I just ignore any videos that are swing related. I just today took his practice advice down to the range (10 balls chip warm up; 30 balls technical; 30 balls target practice; 30 balls for fun/competition — I played the range like a series of virtual holes) and found it pretty useful.

https://youtu.be/pZRBJkvrlz4

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 27, 2024

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

God I love the 7w. It just goes. My 3w will go 20-30 further if I stripe it, but it’s so much harder to hit.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

iNteg posted:

God I love the 7w. It just goes. My 3w will go 20-30 further if I stripe it, but it’s so much harder to hit.

I feel like there are a list of cheat codes for golf that are only not widely adopted because of ego.

Basically:
7wood
Chipper
3w->4w
Higher lofted driver
Metalwoods to 5 hybrid (at least)
Easy-out sand wedges like the Smart Sole

The tour players are normalizing the 7w at least.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I just watched Bryson DeChambeau make even par across 6 holes using a 4 club kids walmart golf set so small most of the clubs were barely knee height. Including a 260 yard drive. I nearly puked liver bile in envy.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been testing two sets of clubs in the last few weeks and it's interesting how I'm hitting better and more accurately with the smaller forged club faces than the oversized ones. I think a lot of it has to do with the heavier club faces and heavier shafts, 115 vs 90g, I feel a lot more control. I also get a lot more feedback of where I'm hitting the club face which makes me adjust as I play. The rogue X head has so much dampening on it I can barely feel the ball, it just flies off which is great but I don't understand much about my hit. My distances and heights on the heavier ones are still behind but that is increasing every session.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I conclusively found my swing, then lost it again, within the space of 9 holes. But at least I found it for a good stretch there.

Having a second child and losing the ability to practice made me think I'd never see it again. But I legitimately crisped some incredible drives, irons, and wedges.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Feels like everyone should watch this before buying their first set of clubs, but definitely before buying their second

Nobody Cares

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GEMorris posted:

Feels like everyone should watch this before buying their first set of clubs, but definitely before buying their second

Nobody Cares

I've started telling people I hit "a 170 club" instead of a club number, because it's just easier that way.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
that's especially relevant to me trying out ridiculously strong lofted irons vs ones a full club shorter. One thing that he sorta mentions but didn't emphasize enough is that you should not get the longer clubs in a strong set, and get more wedges instead. While a 7 iron that goes a 5 iron distance is indeed easier to hit, it's still harder than a regular 7 iron. If you buy a full set as a beginner not only you'll be wasting money on clubs you'd get hybrids or even woods for, you'll still need a ton of wedges. The rogue x approach wedge is 46 degrees and is very poor around the green, it's just too hot with too low spin even for chips.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Back issues suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

2 weeks ago getting my clubs out of my car of all things I musta been leaning into my trunk weird and pulled something in my lower back, couldn't really bend over and sitting down it was hard to put my socks/shoes on. That lasted about a week, once that started feeling better I either slept wrong or my 150 pound dog was laying on my wrong and "something" happened and now I have some sort of nerve issue with my L4/L5 spinal nerves. No longer does it hurt to bend over/put on my socks, but now there is anywhere from just a light nagging pain to excrutiating omg lay on floor and curl up into a ball pain in my lower back and thigh. It's been 5 days of that and I finally decided to see an Ortho doctor this morning. X-rays of my hips were fine so nothing wrong in that area. He thinks the inflamation of my pulled muscle in the same area this pain originates from is probably irritating a nerve, basically a sciatica issue but instead of running down the back of my leg, this is in the front. I've had sciatica in the back of my leg and that was a real bitch. A prescription of anti inflamatory and muscle relaxers and some proper stretches to do and he thinks that will help. I sure as hell hope so. We have our Payne's Valley trip coming up in like 3 weeks so I gotta be better by then :(

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That blows, how old are you? Did you get x-rays of your spine as well? L4-L5 L5-S1 I think are the most famous golfer/back discs for bulging and potential herniation.

Get ready for hours of stretching and hot soaks before/after practice/rounds. :smith: Also start working on a 70% swing.

edit: like here is my own diagnosis as a 45 year old back in 2014. My discs are probably just mush now and don't hurt as bad (but is NEVER pain free just not a constant 7/10 more like a 4/10) and I take it waaaayyy easy now. :newlol:

This is after it really started being an issue with sciatica as well which has also mellowed out a lot in the 10 years since, but I also cut way the gently caress back on golf after 2015. I had also trashed my back many times back to teenage years with football/baseball/weightlifting/skiing/snowboarding/skateboarding injuries and even surfing wipeouts and then later just golf and its infinite amount of repetitive twisting to finish wearing my back out. In the last year I've also developed plantar fasciitis in my left arch/heel that hurts like poo poo after a round/range but was okay after my last range session (after taking months off). I'm sure if I walk 9 and play it will hurt like poo poo again (despite extra arch supports).

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 29, 2024

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

That blows, how old are you? Did you get x-rays of your spine as well? L4-L5 L5-S1 I think are the most famous golfer/back discs for bulging and potential herniation.

Get ready for hours of stretching and hot soaks before/after practice/rounds. :smith:

45, no spinal xrays yet, just hips.

I asked him well how long should I deal with this pain before we try other things and he said he likes to wait 3-4 weeks of doing the medication. Then he'll schedule a MRI and talk about injections or worse case scenarior type stuff. So praying to the golf gods that this medication works!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

I always thought seeing into my own future would look cooler...

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
my experience as a beginner golfer is constantly thinking how is this known as a sport for older people if you ruin your knees, elbows, your fingers , your back and pretty much everything else that will screw you over at an old age

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

45, no spinal xrays yet, just hips.

I asked him well how long should I deal with this pain before we try other things and he said he likes to wait 3-4 weeks of doing the medication. Then he'll schedule a MRI and talk about injections or worse case scenarior type stuff. So praying to the golf gods that this medication works!

My back spasms and follow on pain were managed well with 600mg Motrin 3x a day, taken with Gatorade. Heating pad and hot tub. 3 weeks, you'll make it, but extend the overall recovery time by golfing.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

nerdz posted:

my experience as a beginner golfer is constantly thinking how is this known as a sport for older people if you ruin your knees, elbows, your fingers , your back and pretty much everything else that will screw you over at an old age

My wrists are terrible from 30 years of keyboard use, not because of golf, thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Lankster NZ posted:

Luke Kwon is putting out some good stuff now that he’s left Good Good.
His buddy Taco golf also has a nice channel. He does the usual rounds with the lads kind of deal much better than most, but also some really cool vids where there’s no/little talking but beautiful production e.g https://youtu.be/G9Ph9buwJgk?si=TyXSVRv7NMRjDRJV

Imo the best YouTube channels for watching golf are really good players who play really cool courses with great photography, Kwon and Taco both nail that. Taco’s hilarious too so extra points for him.

Bryan Bros are the best golfers on the YT circuit and Wesley is probably the best chirper so they’re entertaining too. Their videos with Rahm are great and made me like him a lot, but the photography on their channel isn’t as strong as some others.