Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I guess the important question is: are you averaging your drives at 260 yards, like people in this thread seem to think you should be doing?

My ball speed with a driver is between 168 to 172. I can get to 175 on the range but don’t go that hard in the course. I’m missing on average 3 fairways a round but rarely lose a ball off the tee.

My driving and approach game are the strongest parts of my game. Also very strong between 60-120 yards with my wedges. I’m an ok putter and a bad chipper, though I’m making good progress on improving that area.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I am totally obsessed with the tour striker ball. That thing is amazing. It’s so good at keeping me connected and not too flat. I have just been killing it on the range recently.

Playing in a member-guest today, so we’ll see if it carries over!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

gvibes posted:

Yeah, euros are pretty darn likeable right now. Hovland is a real treat. Not really a Poulter/Garcia-level foil among them, other than maybe Rahm, but I feel like he has mellowed a bit the last couple of years.

The one I'm thinking of allows payment over three years, so nbd!

It varies a ton by geography. I just happened to look at a detroit suburban CC for instance, and it's 21k and 600 a month to join a Donald Ross designed club with full amenities - https://www.westerngcc.com/files/2023%20WGCC%20MEMBERSHIP%20INFORMATION.pdf

Post-covid demand really increased initiation fees. My club in ATL has a 5-year waitlist even after raising initiation to $125k.

Where are you thinking about joining? I love Olympia Fields. That’s probably my favorite Chicago course (better than Chicago Golf Club imo), though I haven’t played Shoreacres yet.

In other news, my game is in a bit of a funk right now. I’m swinging more upright (which I need to do), but the change has totally hosed with my timing. Going to play 9 Saturday, so we’ll see if I can dig something out.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Fall golf is the best.

I have been working on my swing and, after a period of hitting it like garbage, I’m finally playing well again. I’ve always had a pretty flat backswing and it caused issues when my timing wasn’t on. So, after years of trying to get more upright, I finally did—only to start shanking my irons, normally the best part of my game. The difference in plane totally hosed up my timing.

But after a few weeks of misery, I got synced up again, and now I’m playing great. Which is clutch, because I have some good rounds coming up. I need to get an after video and I’ll post the before/after.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Has anyone played in NZ/Tasmania? I am going in a couple months and would love to hear any thoughts/recommendations. Current plan is to play:
- Te Arai
- Tara Iti
- Royal Melbourne
- Cape Wickham
- Ocean Dunes
- Barnbougle

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

What towns / cities are you going to in NZ? I live here and have played most of the good ones.

I don’t know yet. We’re flying into Auckland and just booked the long haul flights, so we still have a lot of flexibility.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I'd suggest getting yourself to Napier to play Cape Kidnapper's and to Queenstown to play Jack's Point / Millbrook / The Hills (if you can get on the last one, it's mostly private, but they do take some bookings).
Napier and Queenstown are also both gorgeous towns, filled with amazing vineyards, too.

Thank you for the recommendations!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

BCRock posted:

When you figure out how to get on Royal Melbourne let me know so I can do it when I'm back in Australia next year.

Here you go: https://www.royalmelbourne.com.au/visitors/. No guarantee, of course.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Jovial Cow posted:

Huge detailed post.

This rules, thanks so much for all the detail! Sadly, I found out that Tara Iti no longer accepts non-members, so I’m not making it on there. My NZ network is non-existent.

After talking to the wife, we actually decided to limit the trip to the north island and save Tasmania and the South Island for other trips. I’m a major believer in playing courses multiple times if you can, and it just wasn’t workable to cover that much ground in the time we had. So, after re-configuring, we’re doing:
Te Arai South (2x)
Te Arai North (2x)
Kinloch Club (2x)
Wairakei golf
Cape Kidnappers (2x)

And yeah, those international greens fees are no joke, even with a strong dollar.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

If you’re playing Cape Kidnappers twice, you’re obviously not hurting for money, so I’d suggest booking accommodation at Craggy Range which is like 5 kms down the road and my favourite vineyard in the whole country.

Fortunately, my wife and I don’t drink. All the better to be a golf degenerate.

Jovial Cow posted:

Nice, you'll have a blast. The only downside I can think of is depending on if you're doing 18 a day vs 36, they only really have one restaurant at Te Arai. Its quite good, but if you're stringing that out over 4 days it could get old. I'm VERY jealous you are doing Cape Kidnappers, I was trying so hard to get my group to make it down towards Napier so I could sneak it in, but we only got as far south a Rotorua on the north island. Please post once you've done the trip so I can live vicariously through you. I have to make it back down to NZ at some point. Gorgeous country.

I definitely will! Really appreciate all the info. I didn’t see Bandon on your list! You def need to get out there.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 4, 2023

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

xsf421 posted:

[X] is golf. It never changes. I'm closing in on single digit handicap, but there's a post upthread from this summer where I went days without being able to hit any part of the club except the hosel, even on driver.

Yeah, I was down to a 2.3 handicap this summer and suddenly started thinning/shanking my irons for no discernible reason. Now I’m hitting it great again. Golf!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I got fitted for new irons and it’s crazy how much variance you get between shafts. I used the same heads as my current gamers (zx7) and the results were all over the map. With a 7 iron:
Current shafts (steel fiber 115) - pretty nice dispersion, tight on distance but tended to be at the target to 10-15 yards left.
Project x - god awful, literally chunked all but one.
DG x100 - meh, same dispersion at steel fibers but increased distance dispersion due to several thick ones.
Nippon Modus 130 - incredibly buttery and super tight dispersion, hit 15 balls and had 5 yards of depth dispersion and 5 yards of width dispersion. Couldn’t believe how tight they were. I also gained 2-3 miles of club head speed, likely due to increased confidence.

My speed training has also been paying off. I hit 10 drives and averaged 121 swing speed.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Willzilla posted:

I went from 910D2 —> TSR2 and holy poo poo it was worth the overpay at the time

I suspect anything more recent would have elicited the same reaction but the TSRs looked best to my eye so they get the nod

Titleist drivers have always been super spinny for me for some reason.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Three weeks where it’s been too cold to golf! I don’t know how you NE/midwest people do it.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Not gonna lie, I am never going to play a hybrid again. Those things are the devil. You can catch a heater randomly and pick up 10+ yards. I put a 4 iron back in my bag and love it. 7 wood also works.

mattfl posted:

It’s basically stock off the shelf only thing I’ve changed is put a superstroke grip on it. I swapped out the weights but I have the stock ones too.

Here’s some current pics and also a TM Spider I have.

https://imgur.com/a/Wt97Ubj

$350 shipped?

The one thing about LAB putters is you have to get them fitted for your setup. If you don’t, the mechanics behind them don’t work or train bad habits.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Leaving for NZ on Wednesday! Will come back with a report/pics.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Kirios posted:

Top of bag is currently 3W, 5W, 4h

Would I be a crazy person to go 3W, 5W, 7W?

My wife is a +3 and that’s what she has, so no.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

mattfl posted:

Wait, what?

How do I find one of these better than scratch wifes? Or, probably the better option, teach my current wife to be better than scratch lol

Yeah she played for a top 3 collegiate program and was a phenomenal amateur golfer (top 15 ranked in the U.S.) Went to Ledbetter golf academy. It is outrageous how good her short game is. She normally plays like 6200, so it’s extremely fun to play scramble events with her when she’s on the red tees.

By the way, I got back from New Zealand and it was phenomenal. Cape Kidnappers is probably the best course I have ever played. I’ll post pics and a rundown later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Where else did you get to in the end?

So we played both Te Arai courses (2x), Waireiki, Cape Kidnappers (2x), and Kinloch.

Te Arai north: probably my least favorite Doak course I’ve ever played. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but not great. Too easy for my taste. Felt totally mindless off the tee, where the great Doak courses are still pretty open but penalize you if you’re on the wrong side of the fairway.

Te Arai south:

Very dramatic Coore Crenshaw design.

Waireiki: combo bird sanctuary/golf course. A fun design that would be a good every day track. I wish the greens had a little more variance to them, but it was a very solid course.

Cape Kidnappers: this is a real deal, big boy tournament golf course. Extremely fair but challenging. Exceptional hole design and some of the most stunning views I’ve seen on a golf course. It was blowing around 25-30 and I was thrilled to shoot 78/81. The back 9 in particular is out of this world. Wife and I had an hour plus discussion about our favorite holes and strategy after the rounds.

Kinloch: normal dour Nicholas course. Very linksy feel but didn’t play like a links course at all. I shot 73 with a 33 on the back, so I was pretty stoked about that.