Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GOING BACK TO SCOTLAND THIS SUMMER :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

WE GOT ALL THE GOLF HERE :woop:

I am so pumped. I didn't think I'd ever get a chance to go back. I'm definitely playing Castle Stuart at least twice because I goddamn loved that course. I think we're also playing Royal Dornoch at some point. I don't know where else were playing yet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nichol posted:

When I played a proper links course once I realized how spoiled I was, usually having trees lining a fairway... they can actually keep your balls from going too far astray... not so much with acres of fescue.

I have lost dozens of balls to links courses for this exact reason, haha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Anyone else notice that every year there is a discussion among golf media folk about whether or not The Players should be a major?

Gotta find something to talk about in between majors, I guess.

E: Honestly I think it's fine not being one. 4 Majors every year with the Ryder Cup happening every 2 is pretty good for big events.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Rory, Spieth, and Jason Day are paired together for the first 2 rounds of The Players. They're being livestreamed, currently thru 7: http://pgatour.cbssports.com/live/?channel=featuredgroup

Annnnd there goes any hope of productivity today

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That stare from Sergio after the birdie was some world class poo poo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

itt we all give kameh a hug :sympathy:

god what a finish though

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Halo14 posted:

Rickie Won? Awesome :)

Saw this on GolfWRX - looks sweet:

that looks sweet as gently caress

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've been meaning to go to The Memorial for years now. Muirfield is gorgeous.

Also I finally did it you guys. I took the plunge.

I joined a country club :ohdear:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

Congrats, give us the deets!

Toledo Country Club. Really nice place that they keep in great shape. Not much up and down, and 2 holes are up against a major roadway, but the last 3 holes run alongside the Maumee River and look spectacular. Should be perfect for taking out prospects and clients to have a good time, but not get beat up too hard by the course. Easily walkable if you want. I've played it quite a few times as a guest and finally decided to jump. Only about 10 minutes from my house and barely 15 from work.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Totally gonna hit you up for a round if I'm in the area.

Right on :toot:

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'm playing down in Carmel, CA at Spyglass which I've never played before and the new revised Poppy Hills in two weeks. Gonna get my rear end handed to me but at least the coastal weather should be fantastic in between 8's and 4 putt's. Lucky to not be paying full list of $400 list for Spyglass since it's a tournament.

Oh man take pictures of Spyglass so I can live vicariously though you. That's a drat dream course of mine.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Soooo close to buying new irons.. I thought I had it narrowed down, but now I am back all over the place.

Rsi TP's or RSi2's I hit them both equally well, but the TP's I might be able to "grow" with a little more

Apex Pro's still hit awesome and feel great, but expecting their replacement to drop in a few months and I have a weird reservation about Callaway clubs.

Mizuno MP-15, 54, 64 all hit awesome etc.

I don't know what to do.. It's basically down to just pulling the trigger on something. I've spent maybe 5 hours total on the sim switching back and forth between all of them with 6/7 irons on each set. Rsi 2 i hit stupid far on the sim with a decent ball flight. We're talking like a 200 yard 6 iron or more. The TP version is more like 190. The Mizu's all come in with a lower ball flight and I had a slight fade with all of them about 10 yards off center, but the distance is more in line with what I am used to like 185-190 6 iron, 175-180 7 iron etc.

They all had different shaft types which is probably the biggest thing in the flight difference. I need to get fit and pull the trigger.

If it's me, a low flight with a fade would bug me with my irons, but that's me. I want irons getting a ball up high and dropping more straight down. I think you could get adjusted to distance on new clubs more easily than to potentially a new flight path.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

big practice green with lots of pin locations and maybe some bunkers).

This is huge if it's available. Dump a whole crate/shagger full of balls into the bunker and hit every single one out, no matter how close they are to others. It's amazing what this does to your sand game in short order.

It's also amazing how quickly it gets you completely covered in bunker sand :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Long as we're posting swing videos, I cannot recommend Payne Stewart enough if you want to work on your iron play. His tempo was phenomenal and a lot of these lessons get some great lag in your swing to make sure you're taking a divot ahead of the ball. He concentrated on taking the entire club back at once, not just pulling the clubhead first.

Here's another good look

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

I love Payne, but this video is hilarious. It has a lot of....do this this this *perfect swing* hahaha

Oh yeah it's basically every VHS instructional tape you've seen in the 1980s, which is funny as all hell.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

You cant mention awesome 80s instructional videos without bringing up Lee Trevino!

Hahaha oh hell yes

Holy poo poo you guys I could get so used to this membership thing. Wanna hit balls? Sure! Chip around the short game range all you want too! Wanna carry, push, or cart for a few holes? Go nuts! Wanna skip ahead a couple holes to get around a few groups? Be our guest!

Golf loving owns. Memberships own. Everything owns. Goodbye productivity.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

Ugh, the mens club at my local course are the reason I don't play Sunday mornings anymore. They keep trying to get me to join, but then I'd be one of them :(

we accept you, we accept you

one of us, one of us

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Looking at it, I'd say you played a drat good front 9, that's for sure.

Speaking of goofy par 4s, I've been meaning to get back out to some Pete Dye courses around my area. Dude was known for 3 things:

Short par 4s
Teeeeeeeeeeeeny tiny greens
Old wood railroad ties in bunkers

They're very much meant for shotmakers and can be a lot of fun.

Also I'll be damned if I haven't just loved hitting 4W off the deck at every tee box these days. It has to be some mental thing where I'm not thinking about how the tee has to be just the right height, and not to try to kill the ball, etc. I'm just dropping it, taking one practice swing, and hitting the drat thing with my giveashit meter pegged as low as possible and it's amazing how well it works.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 12, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

Florida golfing people, any of you played the course at the Waldorf Astoria? Gonna take my dad there Sunday to play for Fathers day.

If you mean the one in Orlando, yes. It's a very well-maintained course and some pretty good greens. Pace was really slow one day but I think that was because we were there the day of some big outing. Lot of water to play some fun risk/reward situations as well. You'll both enjoy it.

And CONGRATS MR. BT :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

Yeah that's the one. 10am tee time for $65. Not too bad for a resort type course.

That's a solid rate, yeah. You'll both enjoy it and it's an awesome gift to your dad :greatgift:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

I'm kinda in the same boat as you; I might splurge on a really nice cart soon. I played around with this cart in a Golfsmith. $180 base price, pivoting front wheel, folds down to a 20" cube 30" x 17" x 22" rectangular prism, and it's got a lot of add-ons like a seat, umbrella holder, smart phone case, and more.

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30...EgS-hoCszDw_wcB

This all looks awesome but a seat? How? Because I will be all over that poo poo :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

shyduck posted:

What's a good drill for follow-through? I feel as if I have a mental block with it, like after I hit the ball I want to stop movement and have my club out in front of me.

A weighted club (or swinging two clubs) can help you get the feel for following fully through and getting your hands high

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

• putt while hoping I picked the right speed.

god drat if this isn't the truth. Also yeah Golfshot owns a ton and everyone should get it.

Holy poo poo yall I'm 2 weeks from going to Scotland I am so hype. I know we're playing Castle Stewart and Royal Dornoch, not sure of where else yet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DuckHuntDog posted:

Links golf is great, Scotland is great, and I am jealous. It is hard to find a bad place to play over there, in my experience.

Yeah, I'm gonna totally post a gigantic trip report with a bunch of pictures either once I'm back or day-by-day if I can like I did a couple years ago. Apologies in advance because i'm probably gonna hijack the thread :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sataere posted:

What did you look for with group lessons? i'm definitely not finding a 5 group lessons for $100. I did find a great deal for my kid though. Thanks for this.

EDIT: Disregard this, I just found a couple of great weekend clinics for me and my kid for $129. And some nice after school stuff. That site is pretty awesome.

You two are gonna love it, enjoy :)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UnionCarbide posted:

I'm finally getting my game back to where it was before I hurt my shoulder. The most recent change I've made is fixing my takeaway. I'm not really sure what the hell happened to it but it sure as hell wasn't a one piece. Apparently, I have lately been hinging my wrists first thing instead of turning my shoulders and hips, but that's mostly fixed now. The one drawback is I need to adjust my aim point, I managed to miss to the left a lot.

Here's my round from Laguna Seca GC, getting closer to getting back under 100 again. Also, not bad for not having played the course before.

Whoa, what's that Pace of Play stat at the bottom? Never seen that before.

I had one of my best 9 hole rounds ever today. Didn't even get a chance to warm up, just walked onto the 1st tee to get ahead of a couple foursomes and went to work.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

YOU POST MORE SPYGLASS PICTURES RIGHT NOW, MISTER

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UnionCarbide posted:

Oh, I have a SkyCaddie, so it uses the time between entering scores as your pace of play for each hole. Every now and then it gets thrown off if you don't enter a score as you're walking off the green or whatever, but it's still accurate for the entire round.

Wednesday I was working in a different office in Larkspur, CA instead of my usual SF office, so I cut out of work a bit early to hit a local 9 hole course. I did the same thing as you did, didn't warm up, jumped out in front of a foursome. I had a decent round, 3 pars and mostly bogeys with a triple on one hole. All 3 pars were blown birdie opportunities, 2 lipped out and one stopped a half turn from dropping in the cup. :argh:

hahaha nice. That pace of play thing is kinda clever too, I dig it.

I'm gonna try to get at least 2 rounds in between now and Sunday. Scotland's coming up in just over a week oh my god you guys :f5:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Not my best round but I had some good shots. Left a few putts short too which cost me. And yes I went double, triple, birdie, because golf.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i will never not love this :allears:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy tables

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

He slowed down from there, playing the final four holes in 1 under, including a Dustin Johnson-like three-putt par on the par-5 finishing hole.

lmao

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

And his only witnesses are his family and he's basically pulling a "I'm military, I'm infallible" card.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat some of these are awesome

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You have to submit your proposed design to them and I'm sure they've had to put the kibosh on a lot of registered and copyrighted things. Even if they allowed it, it'd be $100 which doesn't seem worth it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo :munch:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

cstang posted:

I only use it for yardage if I'm no where near a marker. I have never used the shot tracking feature, I just enter my score while I'm on my way to the next tee.

Yeah, this. I use it to get distances and log everything after I'm done. Quite honestly you really can't use it to log every shot as you go because it's a separate screen from the distance listings.

E: OK I guess you kinda could but it would be really clunky.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There's an amateur at -8 at Greenbrier, and his name is Maverick. Awesome.

Also Greenbrier owns and if you ever have a chance to go, I really recommend you do.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

Rory is done for the open. Ruptured tendon in his ankle.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/33407734

Oh man that's brutal :smith:

Also oh my god oh my god oh my god you guys

YOU GUYS!

THURSDAY! SCOTLAND. IT HAPPENS.

:f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

The Scottish Open starts Thursday. The Open is next week!

We honest to god were really tempted to get Open (the British one, not the Scottish one) tickets until we looked at costs. We're also playing Castle Stewart at least once, where they've already hosted a couple Scottish Opens if memory serves. Hell of a course and I'm hype as hell to go back.