Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is the Callaway Edge set still considered the best option for its price point? Background: I haven’t played a ton of golf outside of Par-3s, but have hit a fair few buckets of balls. So I enjoy golf; I’m just not confident in how much time I’ll have to play regularly. My conundrum is I feel like I’m somewhere in between babbys first set of clubs and whatever the next level is. Used makes me nervous because I don’t know what I don’t know about model lineups.

I went to the local golf shop and they suggested another path would be to pick up a fitted set of something like 5/7/9, wedge, 3w, putter and then build it out next year if I stick with it (assuming I would pick up the same model of irons etc). Their take was “you wouldn’t just buy a suit off the rack and expect it to fit.” yes, yes I would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Really appreciate the feedback. That seems to track with what I’m reading as well. Mostly I don’t want to over-spend on a speculative purchase, but I also don’t want to buy a not-great set of clubs that I’ll quickly outgrow if do wind up playing frequently. I figure a decent set of clubs should last a good long while, so I’m okay with spending a little bit to get something that’ll last.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Clubs came in and I’ve watched 34 hours of YouTube top tips why am I still bad at golf?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I was told this morning that the reason for my slice is because I’m rotating my hips too early/ahead of my shoulders. As a lefty that golfs right, I have a feeling this is going to be a huge pain to fix. :smith:

On the plus side, I played a par 3 this afternoon for the first time in 15+ years and…Jesus golf is fun. Chipping came right back. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Lankster NZ posted:

And yea golf sidekick is a weirdo but he rules.

His videos will definitely help you become more confidential in your game.

I like Rick Shiels too; I just ignore any videos that are swing related. I just today took his practice advice down to the range (10 balls chip warm up; 30 balls technical; 30 balls target practice; 30 balls for fun/competition — I played the range like a series of virtual holes) and found it pretty useful.

https://youtu.be/pZRBJkvrlz4

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 27, 2024

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

They call my club face 7-Eleven because that thing is open 24/7.

On the plus side, I learned a ton about my swing today. It’s wild how a swing with the correct(ish) technique feels so much more effortless, but goes so much farther.

Zen rear end sport.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So I tried widening my stance this morning and it’s helped with clearing my hips a bit. I’m confused why the “normal” iron stance is only shoulder width apart?

Also: any stretching / warm-up recommendations for morning golf? I went to hit a small bucket of balls at 745 and was terrified I was going to throw my back out. My warm up consisted of some bends/pivots, hitting some pitches, and driving to the range with my seat heater on high.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m really trying to eliminate my YouTube swing tips diet, but Padraig has a drill where you perform your regular downswing and then try to stop the club at impact. It was a “holy poo poo!” moment for me yesterday.

I’ve been struggling mightily with a 30° push right, and had been trying to roll my lead wrist with little success. Swing thoughts like “roll your wrists” or “make the logo on your glove face the target” really haven’t helped.

Fast forward to yesterday. Stopping (or more specifically, trying to stop) the club head at impact and every shot with my 7i was punching out 50 yards dead straight toward the target, or even with a slight pull. More importantly, I could feel my hands release as the club head came around. I was immediately like “oh this is what releasing the hands is supposed to feel like?!?!?”

My distance is still garbage, but it feels so good to have unlocked even a small part of my swing. Golf is loving hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m also debating buying a net, hitting mat, and an R10 to save money long term on range costs because sweet fancy Moses buckets are expensive over time. Plus I’d get the benefit of ~*data*~