Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I finally took a lesson for the first time ever after being self taught all the way up through high school, taking 8 years off, and finally getting back into it. Completely reworked my swing. I had been getting by thanks to being moderately athletic. After that lesson and taking a couple of weeks to really perfect my new swing it feels so good. It's so easy and smooth now, I can't believe I never took one before.

Take a lesson people!

Also, my boy P. Reed is going strong this weekend. His caddy/brother-in-law has been one of my best friends for the last 20 years. His wife used to drive us to practice in high school. It's always fun seeing him near the top of the leaderboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
What is the little fold up device that people like Mark Crossfield use that tracks their swing speed and face angle and everything. I know Trackman is the big orange square but I don't know what to search to figure out what this one is

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
From what I'm gathering in my limited search the GC2 is something that's so far out of my price range that I can't even fathom having the money laying around to buy it

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
My boy PReed with another Top 10. He's been playing really solid this season and keeping his head down. I fully believe he'll get another win before the season's done.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Yeah I have the MCC +4 or whatever it is on all my irons and I love them. They look great too.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Lot of inclement weather issues this year, hopefully it clears up as we move through summer cus these tournaments are getting hard to watch.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Shot a 95 today. After taking a 9 year hiatus after high school I've finally started playing again. I didn't realize the course I was playing at was known for slow play when I got there but oh my god the reviews were not wrong. I ended up getting the starter to let me start on the back 9. I ran through that in like an hour and 10 minutes and made the turn and ran into one of my coworkers playing with his friend. So I joined them for the other 9 and that took us 2 and a half hours.

I forgot how fun this sport can be when you're actually out there playing. I've been to the driving range a bunch but hadn't played 18 holes since high school.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Spieth needs to step it up. He keeps leaving Patrick with very little to work with.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Called it last night

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I know I've mentioned this a couple of times in the thread already but Patrick Reed's caddy, Kessler, has been one of my best friends for the last 22 years.

He is insanely generous, always going out of his way to do things for other people and I know since he got the job as Pat's caddy that a couple of my other friends have taken advantage of it. They're constantly asking him for stuff from every tournament he goes to and so I've made sure that I've never asked him for anything. He's my friend and I'd never want to make him feel obligated to do things for me just because he has a cool job.

So I was completely surprised when he said he had something for me at his Christmas party last night.

This is probably the single most thoughtful gift I have ever received. The fact that he thought of me while he was out there, as crazy as that weekend was, and got everyone to sign it for me just blows me away. I'm going to cherish this thing for the rest of my life.

I hope all of y'all have as merry a Christmas as I am!

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

daslog posted:

Wow,

I'd bring that down to a place that does picture framing tomorrow. Definitely want that under glass hanging on your wall for the next 50 years.

Yeah that's the plan. I just have to decide what color I want the background to be.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Yeah there's a few signatures on there I can't figure out, I think I got most of them but he didn't tell me who all signed it so I don't know for sure

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
That's what I thought too but I couldn't figure out Davis Love's if he signed it. But there's 17 signatures and 18 total team members so maybe he didn't

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
So my sister just got a job as the Director of Operations for Men's/Women's golf team for the University of Houston (where my whole family attended and my parents have been donors for 40+ years) so I'm pretty excited for her. She'll get to work with Jim Nantz and Freddie Couples on a big fundraiser and Elkington is apparently around quite a bit. Also their golf facility is the Shell Houston Open course so she said she'll get me on to play that when she can.

Besides the perks she can get me though, it's what she wants to do with her career and Coach Dismuke is an awesome guy so I know it'll be fun for her. She said she'll get to spend 75% of her days on the golf course, she doesn't really have to go to the office very often so I'm insanely jealous.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Am I the only one that thinks Bill Murray trying to be funny at this tournament every year is super forced? Let it go, Bill.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Lightning Lord posted:

So I was channel surfing (in 2017, yes) and I came across a late showing of the Honda Classic. Never been into golf but what the hell, right?

Why do people lie and say watching golf is boring? Between "GET IN THE HOLE!", the reactions whenever anyone does anything and the announcers saying weird poo poo from time to time, this is an amazingly entertaining TV sport so far.

Man, if you like that. Try to find a replay of the Ryder Cup from last year. It was insane.

But yeah, CBS and NBC can be pretty lovely with coverage. Too many in-booth shots of commentators and not enough live golf shots. Wait until you get to a tournament that has protracer on almost every shot. Or a tournament with a different format than the standard 72-hole stroke play. Match play is awesome. Team event are even cooler.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I got to hang out with my buddy this weekend who caddies on the Tour after they played 9 weeks in a row and he had all kinds of insight as to what drug Spieth is using to grow his hair back, how cool Pat Perez is, and why he thinks Phil is undeserving of a President's Cup captain's pick spot.

But we went bowling and he bowled a 223 so I'm just gonna stick to golf with him from now on.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Finasteride is apparently the name of the drug. Apparently it only affects the hair on your head somehow.

I know I've said it like 100 times in this thread but my friend is Patrick Reed's caddy/brother-in-law and they've been playing a lot lately. They finished 2nd in the PGA last weekend though so it's been worth it.

He said Pat Perez is hilarious and likes to talk trash to the Spring Break crew. He thinks Phil is going to get a captain's pick to the President's Cup strictly because of his career as a whole even though he hasn't been playing well since he ditched Bones. He likes Phil though, just thinks that spot should go to someone who's playing better right now. He also said DJ is dumb as rocks (and so is Paulina) but that DJ's caddy (his brother) is hilarious and pretty sharp. He said one of those tournaments that DJ won recently was on a course he hadn't played before and AJ didn't even walk the course to be able to tell him anything. He just went out there blind and won the thing.

Daric fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 21, 2017

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Tiger's hitting pitch shots

Master 2018 here we go

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Try moving your wallet and phone to your left pocket and put your loose change in your right shoe

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
My buddy posted this picture of himself from the tournament and regardless of your political affiliations this is the kind of photo you print and keep forever.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I went to my buddy's house for dinner last night and when I walked in he handed me his Caddy's Bib from the President's Cup that he had Patrick and Jordan sign. It's awesome. I can't wait to get it framed.

He also said Chappell's caddy passed out in the hotel hallway Sunday night before they could ever even make it to the club they were going to and that DJ was so trashed by 7 o'clock that Paulina made him go back to the hotel room instead of going out. He also says Paulina has 2 nannies for their kid and 1 nanny for their dogs which seems excessive but I'll never have that much money so who knows.

Overall he said it was a great time, not as exciting as the Ryder Cup for obvious reasons but that it was a lot of fun. He said it was so boring on Saturday that DJ's brother (his caddy) was betting on football games during the round.

I'll post pics of the bib when I get it all framed. Not sure where I'm going to put it and my flag in my new apartment yet but we'll see.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Tiger will win another major

On the Champions Tour

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Patrick really enjoys playing with Tiger when he gets to so I'd like to see them paired up at some point.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I would appreciate it if they never aired a conversation between Bryson and his caddy again.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Bilirubin posted:

Thoughts on the Nike NDX ball? They are deeply discounted right now at Sportschek. I mean I really love the TP5s but they are spendy--having two dozen balls at half the price of a dozen would make splashing them less :ohdear:

(Have to say I vastly prefer the new balls to my old ones from the 80s)

Have you thought about buying used? I've been using https://www.lostgolfballs.com/ for years and you'd never be able to tell they weren't new except that some have marking on them. They play exactly the same as new. I get Callaway balls for around $0.55-60 a ball but you could even get ProV1's if you want.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
The tournament the week before the Masters next year will be in San Antonio. The Houston open can’t get a title sponsor so we may not even have a tournament anymore.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Top Golf is fun but at $40 an hour it's obviously not financially conducive to practicing. Also the balls are rigged so they don't go as far and their clubs all have graphite shafts. They can't have dudes blasting 340yd drives from the top level with their own equipment out there.

If you're going in a big group though it's great. Especially if you don't really care about playing the games. It's cool to just get up, hit a few balls, grab a drink and talk while someone else has a go.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

dangling pointer posted:

I’ve been wanting to check the one in Pittsburgh out. If me and a few buddies want to go to get hammered while playing about how much are we looking at spending? Are booze prices reasonably or should we go with the fried and true method of putting a bottle of liquor in our bag and just buy poo poo pop for mixers lol.

E: never mind Daric pretty much answered my question

40/hr doesn’t seem bad for something different. Can you bring your own clubs? I don’t think I could use their clubs if they only have graphite shafts. They’d probably feel like swinging a wet noodle.

You can bring your own if you want. It's sort of like a bowling alley honestly.

And it's not bad if there's 2 or 3 of you. But it's not somewhere you're gonna want to go to just work on your swing. You'd get more out of a $10 bucket from any driving range.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Anyone have any experience shopping on GolfEtail? Someone linked it from another site yesterday and I ended up purchasing 2 adidas polos. Got both for $30 when I know they were at least $50-60 each when they were in the store. Best I can tell is that it’s last years lines. I’ll see what they look like when they get here next week.

I also won a $250 Callaway Gift Card from FanBeat. They were doing trivia during a couple of tournaments earlier this season and then sent out a survey afterwards. I filled out the survey and they emailed back saying I won the gift card. I ended up buying pants, shorts, a polo and a hat. So if y’all see that FanBeat stuff start up again just know that people actually DO win that kind of thing. I always assumed no one ever really won.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
If you look at a lot of the top guys on Tour right now there’s quite a few who take a pretty short backswing. I’ve been doing that the last couple of years and my consistency drastically improved.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
A great golfer can grab the shittiest club out of the bargain bin and hit it pure. Always invest in lessons before clubs.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Narrow it down to 32 players and then make it match play. There. Playoffs solved.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Especially if he then loses the prize money to Phil after Thanksgiving

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
https://youtu.be/PzsdzNsKjBQ

It’d be time for the greatest Nike commercial ever made

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

daslog posted:

107 today, after hitting the range literally every day. The only positive is that I only pulled one ball left. My confidence is now completely shot.

Man take a break. Seriously. Go do something else for a couple of weeks and then get back to it. You’re not going pro anytime soon so all you’re doing is messing with your own head.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Man what you’re gonna want to do is put all your change in your left pocket. Then double knot your left shoe. After that, turn your hat around backwards and then tuck a tee on top of your left ear.

You should be good at that point.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
To be fair, Tiger probably slept with both of them.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
In honor of Ryder Cup week, this is still the best gift I have ever gotten.

I’m watching my friend’s dogs while he’s over there caddying so he let me know this morning he’s bringing me more swag back. I’m hoping for another flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
They’re friends. Tiger hangs out with Patrick every time he’s in town. Patrick’s home Course is Bluejack National which is one of Tiger’s.