Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Neither of those look that bad to me, but it's hard to judge a swing solely by a couple images.

We just finished the second day of the Member-Guest. Yesterday my boss and I shot a +2 73, not terrible but we definitely felt like we could have been a few shots lower. We had a double bogey on an easy par 4 because we took four strokes to get in the hole after being in the rough 15 yards from pin after our approach. Low score in our flight was a 68, there were a couple 71s too. The upside: I made a 25' putt with a ton of break from the fringe for a birdie on a par 3. We won the skin on that hole and it was the only skin in the entire flight so we won $360. That paid for our tournament and bets right there which felt pretty great. My boss had a rough day and we ended up using my shot probably 90% of the time, but we still did well.

This morning was round 2, we started tied for fourth. Boss played better and I played slightly worse, but we never both had a terrible shot at the same time so it worked out great. Shot even par with three birdies, no skins for them though. We ended up in a three way tie for first place in the flight. There was a 66' chip-off to decide ties. It was on the practice area right next to the clubhouse with a ton of people watching... Stuck my shot to 3 feet and we won the flight. If I had hit any pitches that well in the regular rounds we probably would have won outright but it felt great to do that with so much pressure on me. I won't know how all the bets and prizes end up until tomorrow but I made at least $200 profit this weekend playing golf. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Josh Lyman posted:

I've got the same rangefinder and love it. I turn the Jolt off to conserve battery though.

There's something uncouth to me about using one with slope.

My rangefinder as well, also with jolt turned off.

My home course added a new tee box to the fourth hole and they had the white tees there last night. It's 280 to the front edge of the green compared to ~310 at the normal tee location. I've never driven the green before since the fairway slopes upward a bit the last 150 yards, but at the new location I think I'll be able to occasionally. It really favors a draw too which is nice. That means I can potentially drive 7 of the 10 par fours from the white tees... I guess it's no wonder I can't shoot in the 70s at other courses like I can here.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Has anyone ever used a Full Swing simulator? I'm considering spending an hour or two on one in my area once my new wedges arrive to see what my numbers look like. But I'm not sure how accurate they are compared to like a Trackman, or if they even have the option to be used like that rather than playing an actual round on one of the sim courses.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I finally got around to videoing my driver swing and fear that I maybe made a mistake. My driving is the strongest part of my game on most days, but looking at the video I see a few things that are not good. It makes me want to "fix" my swing but I bet if I attempt that, it'll just end up loving it all up and being worse off than I am now. There's like 2 months left in the golf season here, I'm hoping I can make it that long without changing anything too drastically.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I'm rooting for Tiger because I want to see him in good form going up against Spieth/Rory/Day/DJ just because I like watching awesome golf.

I played in a scramble with my boss and two guys from his league yesterday at my home course. We ended up in second place at 16 under par. The winning team was -18 and had a guy who hit the ball farther than I've ever seen in person, despite being like 5'5". He carried his 3w 280 into the wind to cut the corner on a dogleg, and I think they had a second guy on the team who was near scratch. We ended up not winning any skins despite eagling a par 4 and a birdie on a 195 yard par 3. I stuck my 4i to 5 feet and won the closest to the pin on that hole at least. This tournament is run by a local archery club to benefit wounded veterans and every other year the winning score has been like -8 or -10 according to my boss, I guess lots of guys brought in some real golfers this time around to try and win. It was a lot of fun and I won two free rounds with cart at the best local course so I'm looking forward to that.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Gonna tip my driver 1/2" and extend it to 45.5" at home. Wish my luck. :ohdear:

Good luck. Cutting mine down was the best thing I ever did, 44" just made it so much easier to hit the sweet spot.

Shot a 71 this morning with a double bogey on 18, par 70. Sooooo close ugh. I had four eagle putts that I missed, granted they were all 15-25 feet but that would have been nice. New personal best score but knowing I was so close to even par on my home course stings. There's a small pond on 18 that I pulled my drive into, it was my only bad drive all day. Maybe next time...

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Yeah days like that can suck, sometimes it's still fun though if you're with a good group of people.

Conversely, I teed off by myself at 8:09 on a course near me that I've never played before and played through the 4 guys in front of me on the first green, finished my round at 10:45. That was fairly slow too because of several factors- the fog was so thick on the first few holes that I had to just hit a 5 iron off the tee and guess where it ended up based on the yardage markers in the fairway. I also lost a few balls because I hit the wrong club off the tee on several holes... The score card and hole markers only had yardages, no layouts or maps at all. I was also dodging some sprinklers on the back 9. All in all it was a pretty decent course though so I'm thinking I'll play it again before long. Some of the longer par 4s and one of the par 5s don't let you hit a draw off the tee though which always irritates me a bit. A narrow 420 yard par 4 from the white tees is already a bitch of a hole for most people, making me hit a 9 iron and leaving myself 250+ to the green is just dumb. I've been working on hitting fades but I still can't do it reliably enough to risk an OB tee shot unless I'm playing in a scramble or something.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

I've been busting my rear end the last couple of days and just turned on the TV. Jason Day is 20 under, 6 under the next closest player. Jesus christ is this man on a heater

Seeing him hit an iron when he's 265 from the pin is just disgusting.

There was a pretty big tournament going on today at my home course but I decided to play anyway; I played four balls per hole and still had time to practice chipping on every hole. I got to witness some blatant cheating though... The group in front of me was terrible and on the long drive hole none of them hit their drives more than 200 yards. But one of them drives up to the sheet and writes his name down and plops it down 5 yards farther than it had been. I'm standing on the tee watching this all happen. It's a wide open ~320 yard straightaway par 4 that is slightly uphill. After the group gets on the green I go ahead and hit my shots and play the hole. I was going to wait on the next tee and tell a different group what happened but one of the guys behind me hit a great drive 10 yards past where the cheater stuck the marker so I didn't have to get involved.

I ended up calling it quits after playing 15 holes in around 4 hours (but playing the equivalent of like 3 rounds since I was hitting so many balls) and asked the owner what the prize was for the long drive... 2 free rounds at the course. That's like a $50 prize since the fall special rates are active now. And some guys who obviously rarely golfed were going to cheat to win it when everyone who knows them probably knows there's no way they hit a drive ~280. Gentleman's game indeed.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

U.S. still pulled out the win though, biggest comeback ever. Some really really clutch shots and it came right down to the wire, very enjoyable to watch.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

It's a shame all the local courses that were on GolfNow last year hated it and aren't participating any more. They all had issues with GolfNow booking too many people in a time slot, booking time slots they weren't supposed to, etc. I got to play several courses for $10-18 and this year it's been a lot more monotonous just playing my home course and a handful of rounds elsewhere. Thankfully the fall specials are starting so I'll be able to mix it up a bit over the next month.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Other than my 3hy and maybe my putter I'm pretty happy with my clubs. I'm looking for good deals on a new Ogio bag though, hopefully that's my only golf purchase for a while. I'm starting to look into memberships for next year since my 2 year membership expires and I'm also hoping to play more tournaments and a few leagues.

The M1 does seem pretty nice though, it's getting rave reviews everywhere I look.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

Pretty cool if Spieth wins, because he was the best player all year by far (the last month aside).

Yeah I've seen some people making a case for Day winning Player of the Year but I'd say this locks it up for Spieth (he should have been the winner regardless imo).

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Hey if anyone was interested in a driving/utility iron, global golf has a ridiculous discount on the Taylormade Tour Preferred 18 and 20 degree clubs with stiff flex KBS C Taper shafts. Code "day5" gives 50% off on the clubs. I just ordered one of each with the open box price, $80 total for both including shipping (freeship99 code also works on top of the 50% off).

I've been debating replacing my 3 hybrid lately so this came along at a good time.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

God drat you why didn't I see this post yesterday :argh:

I bet a dozen or more will hit the GolfWRX classifieds in a week for whatever price people paid.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Had my first eagle in a few months today, holed out on a par 5 from 95 yards out. That's the longest hole-out I've ever had, but I've been really accurate from 90-125 yards lately so it wasn't too surprising. I've been paying more attention to my results from 90-125 compared to 50-75 and I'm pretty sure I hit more greens and have a better average proximity to the hole when I can take full swings with one of my 50/54/58 wedges. It does feel weird teeing off with an iron on a short wide par 4 or laying up on a par 5 but if that's what gets me more pars and birdies then that's what I'll be doing.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

DJExile posted:

Hey! Congratulations! :toot:

Not fair :mad:

Haha well, my home course has two par fives that I can reach in two shots fairly often, and several par 4s I can reach or come really close to reaching. I've hit driver-9i into one of the par fives a few times when the fairway is baked out. I think I've had 6 or 7 eagles in the last two years but this is the first one that really feels like a true eagle.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Good deal. I've got enough ProV1s to last me til the end of the year, even though they're 2014s which seem to scuff way too easily. They were under a buck each in AAAA quality from lostgolfballs a while back though so still worth it.

I've heard a lot of good things about Lethals and Tour Preferred X so I'll be keeping an eye out for deals over the winter. Same for Chrome Softs.

That Taylormade Tour Preferred UDI 20* is really nice, I've been hitting a bunch of extra shots with it this week and it definitely is kicking my hybrid out of the bag. I haven't hit the 18* yet but I wouldn't be able to fit it in my bag anyway unless I do something drastic like pull my 3w or drop the 20* and grip down a bit on the 18* for certain shots.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I'm in the midst of a 5 day stretch of 65-70 degree sunny days here in NY and loving it, I just wish more courses did a good job of blowing leaves away because losing balls in the fairway or light rough is real annoying.

Also my boss told me he can get me a discount at a different local course so I'll be a full member there next year and hopefully play in more tournaments and a league or two, plus maintain my existing unlimited greens fees membership that I've had at the course closest to where I live. Looking forward to next season, hopefully the forecast for a mild winter here pans out.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 4, 2015

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

It's almost 70 outside and partly cloudy, on Dec 24, in New York. And I'm stuck on my rear end recovering from Achilles surgery while every golfer I know is out there playing. Fuuuuuuck. Hopefully I can play in April when the courses open for the next season.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I was on golfwrx for the first time in a month this week and saw a Vapor Pro driver that had just been listed much cheaper than I've seen anywhere else. I've gamed the Covert and Covert 2.0 and like them but wanted to switch to something that spins a bit less, and being able to keep my same shaft since the adapter is compatible is a plus. So it'll be here tomorrow, and I'll be unable to hit it at all until late March or April thanks to my ankle. It's gonna be a loooong winter, even if the weather continues to be ridiculously mild.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I want to be nearly fully recovered from surgery by April so I don't miss any of the season here in NY. I may not be able to walk 5-6 rounds a week at the start of the season and don't like paying for carts too often so I might spend more time on the range than usual which is fine.

For my game itself, I mostly want to work on hitting more greens and avoiding 3 putts or missing easy up-and-down par saves. I feel like my driving is the best part of my game and I should make more birdies and pars than I do currently. In 2015 I did a pretty good job at reducing the double and triple bogeys so now it's all about proximity to the hole and sinking more putts.

Also- spend next to nothing on equipment and shoes. Some more polos is okay if they're cheap though. I just ordered 5 dozen Chrome Softs and 5 dozen Bridgestone B330S from lostgolfballs for cheap which should last me all year combined with my leftovers from this season, I need to regrip my 58* but every other club in my bag should be fine for the year.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 6, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Halo14 posted:

Jordan with -30 to win the Tournament of Champions. That's the equal 3rd lowest 72 hole score in PGA Tour history.

Also:

Most PGA TOUR wins before age 23 (since 1970):
Tiger Woods, 7
Jordan Spieth, 7
Rory McIlroy, 3
Sergio Garcia, 3

The difference being that Spieth has played in 77 events and won 7, Woods won 18 in his first 77. Still, Spieth is unquestionably the best player in the world and a lot more consistent than any of the other top guys.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

EnsGDT posted:

I dunno, I like to keep my golf threads fresh, like Ricky :D

I've got no problems with the flat bill, bright colors, etc but those high top golf shoes with capris/jogging pants or whatever the gently caress they're calling them that he wore last week just doesn't do it for me. I'm turning into an old man at 28, ugh.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Yeah it's perfectly fine to hit 3W off the tee the majority or every time until you get comfortable with your driver.

If you can hit a 3W though, you should be able to hit a driver making the same swing. I think people tend to take smoother and more controlled swings with their 3W while trying to crush their driver and introducing some swing flaws that they don't have for any other club. Stock drivers also have ridiculously long shafts so gripping down on them an inch or two can increase your consistency and actually end up increasing your average distance since you'll hit the center of the face more often and only lose a couple miles per hour of clubhead speed. Then again even with all that in mind, I still took my driver out of my bag entirely for a month last year because I was hitting my 3W so much better so who knows.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Hahaha I love seeing pros lose their cool on TV. Smiley Kaufman comes up short on the par 3 15th, in the water, and breaks his iron over his leg. 30 seconds later Shane Lowry does the same thing and drops two crystal-clear F bombs, and I bust out laughing like I always do. It feels good knowing that these guys make awful swings and bad decisions just like everyone else.

It's almost 60 here in upstate NY today and I'm dying to do some chipping or something. Still can't walk normally from my surgery 3 months ago though. I'm optimistic that I'll be able to play in a month since I started physical therapy last week and am seeing good improvements already.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Halo14 posted:

So much for Scotty needing a long putter...

He seems like a really streaky putter, with either the broom or the regular one. I remember last year he was pushing a ton of short putts with the broom and it was really obvious that something was off. Glad he is playing well now with the short one.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Courses are opening here in NY, basically a full month earlier than last year. I have a bit of a limp still and can't do too much without my ankle and heel getting sore but I got out and played 9 with my dad today. My games in better shape than I expected and even driver swings don't cause me any pain so that's reassuring. Gonna be a while before I'm walking 18 five or six days a week though.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Have you hit the Vapor Pro? I know it's supposed to be a lot more forgiving than the Covert 1 and 2 Pros, I'm not sure how different the Vapor Fly Pro is though. I got my regular Vapor Pro with a X Stiff Whiteboard and new grip for $135 on golfwrx and other than some of the paint on the bottom starting to wear, can't even tell it had ever been hit. I've only used it for 9 holes so far but I'm liking it more than my Coverts. (And now that I've said that, it'll promptly turn to poo poo and I'll take it out of my bag in disgust for months).

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 22, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I actually just got a Lamkin grip on my lob wedge because they didn't have any Tour Velvets in stock so I figured I'd give them a shot. I like it so far after a few rounds. I am not very impressed with Tour Velvets in wet conditions or if I'm sweating a lot but I haven't played enough yet to see if the Lamkin handles it better.

The stock grips on my Bridgestone irons are probably going to need replacing at the end of this season if not sooner, I'll have to start thinking about what to replace them with.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I don't remember where I first read/heard it, but the "feel != real" saying is so true in golf. I played 9 this afternoon, and the fourth hole is a longish par 4 where you really want to be in the fairway. So teeing off, I focused on just making good contact and hitting something straight or with a little draw, and I end up hitting it 300 yards down the right with a draw back to the middle of the fairway, leaving a nice straightforward wedge into the green. It was just a smooth relaxed driver swing where I didn't try to kill it, and ended up really happy with the result. And then shortly thereafter, there's the 9th hole. It's only 260ish from the tees I was playing, but with a huge X-shaped bunker guarding the entire front of the green meaning you need about 240 in the air. For whatever reason I feel like I need to crush it, and I take the hardest swing of the day.... And end up short of the bunker altogether. It's amazing how much of an idiot you can be within such a short span of time.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Ko definitely got help from the other contenders collapsing but she avoided a Tin Cup finish and got the birdie to clinch it.

Herman must have been feeling so much pressure on 18, plus waiting on the tee box for so long couldn't have helped. And he still hits his best drive of the tournament and makes an easy par, good for him.

We got 6 inches of snow here in NY over the last two days, which is more than we got in any storm all winter. I'm glad I got out a few times last week because it's going to be at least a week before anything is playable again.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

+1 for the "Don't care they're an rear end in a top hat, I just love watching crazy shots" camp. I don't ever root for them to win but I certainly still enjoy seeing Bubba intentionally slice a ball 50 yards with his driver or somebody stick an iron close from a terrible lie.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

You know who doesn't carry a hybrid?

Masters champion Danny Willett. :smug:

I took mine out of the bag last year because I hooked them even worse than the rest of my clubs. So far this year my shots are tending to stay straight though (and subsequently miss my target by 10-20 yards to the right since I'm set up for a draw or hook) so I should give them another chance.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Flighted Project X 6.0 shouldn't be to hard to find for like $20 online.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I kind of wish I could fit a 3hy back into my bag, but I couldn't drop my 54 degree wedge. Kameh what kind of yardages are your 50 and 58 degrees on full swings?

I may end up taking my 3W or 3i out for a hybrid again instead. Every time I try hitting my 3w it ends badly, unless I've been to the range recently and worked on it a lot. Unfortunately none of the courses I play at regularly have their own range so I only go to one a few times a year. I don't have the best track record with hybrids either (hit them okay for a while but then start dealing with bad hooks and pushes at the same time which is no bueno) but it's still more reliable than my 3w.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Sounds just like me, 100-105 and 125 for them. I find myself with 110-115 yards a lot, but the courses I play are relatively short, so the 54 gets used at least a few times per round.

I use my 58 for literally everything under 100 as well, unless I've got a punch-out or something. I've tried chipping with other clubs before but I'm so much more consistent with the 58 and just delofting it a ton depending on the situation. Yet another thing I feel like I should work on but can't bring myself to do.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

daslog posted:

I wish I had played more when I was younger. I played from age 20 to 24, took a 20 year break and now I'm into my second year back at age 46. It's really hard to improve at this game when you start so late.

I feel the same way and I'm 28! Played soccer year round as a kid, only got into golf a few years ago.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Managed to walk an entire 18 for the first time this year, and my ankle doesn't even feel that bad. So I'm definitely making progress on that front, now I just need to stop hooking the poo poo out of my irons and driver.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Apparently Adidas is trying to exit the golf equipment industry, and is looking for buyers for Taylormade, Adams and Ashworth. Can't say I'm surprised, it didn't seem like their product cycles were sustainable. I have been wanting to try out an M1 though, maybe deep discounts are in our future? Ashworth polos are nice too even though they never fit me quite right since they don't do Tall sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Hitting into people is such a stupid thing to do, there really isn't anything else in golf that compares. If somebody hit into me more than once, there's no way I let that slide. At the very least I'd pick up their ball and toss it in the nearest pond or woods. Then again, I've read stories of people pulling guns or clubs on other people on the course which is scary. It's a loving game, I can't understand how some people can get so angry over things like that.

Also, dealing with high school teams year round must suck. In these parts they only have practice/matches in the fall.