Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ABen posted:

Going to play my first 18 in about 4 years on Thursday (tldr, left my clubs in America pre-covid and just got back to get them).

Hit a couple of buckets off of a grass range and did a couple of hours of Topgolf with my brother this morning (the approach shot game is a lot of fun!).

Did a few hours of pitching and sand practice over the past week, and a bunch of chipping and 2-8 ft putting practice.

I don't think I've ever broken 100, so I'm going to try to stick with the Sidekick's approach (no trying to smash drives, keep it short and findable when in doubt). Anything obvious that I'm forgetting? I'll be playing with my dad and brother, and it really won't be competitive. I'm really excited!

I was going to post that I broke 90 (88) using the Sidekick approach. It''s not just about keeping it short and findable, it's also about opting out of pressure situations whenever possible. Also, take your driver and 60 degree wedge out of your bag before you leave the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ABen posted:

Already took out the L and the 9° driver. It's an old Ping G15, so I don't think I'm missing much. I took out the 4W as well, though I go back and forth on that one.

Probably I mostly need to not over think it - I'm there to have fun.

e: Even if I don't break 110 or whatever, I'm still out in the sun playing golf with my dad and brother for the first time in half a decade. Gotta remember that part of it.

Yep. Almost forgot. The part about looking at the handicaps on the holes is important. The 9 hardest holes you shoot for double-bogey, the 9 easier holes you shoot for a bogey. So that 399 yard par 4 that is the hardest on the course? You are going for a 6, 4 to get on, 2 putt and you are good.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Parker Lewis posted:

Just finished my third season playing in a league (and third year of playing golf) and while my game has gotten a lot better than when I started, I am still a 25-30 handicap with a lot of inconsistency in my ball striking.

I played this year with the swing I had but would like to spend the upcoming offseason getting rid of some of my bad habits; in particular a very "armsy" swing and not much shoulder/hip rotation.

I have watched a lot of YouTube videos and taken some lessons but I am still really struggling with keeping my lead arm straight.

The strange thing to me is that even when I try to really exaggerate something in my swing, like keeping my front arm straight at all costs, or taking a shorter backswing, the resulting video of my swing looks no different than my usual swing.

Not really sure where to go from here, I spent a frustrating hour hitting into a net yesterday and felt like I made no progress despite every effort to keep my lead arm straight. Any suggestions for how to address this?

YouTube golf is great for finding drills after you have a lesson and your instructor tells you what to work on. It's terrible for figuring out how to fix your swing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Oodles posted:

I’d quite happily play a round of golf with my cock out if it meant my shots went straight.

Don’t worry about how you look, worry about the results.

If I had to swing a flesh colored driver that looked like a giant dildo but hit straight 300 yards 9 times out of 10 I would do it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Anno posted:

It really sucks. Like I get someone wanting to take a bag that's reportedly like $600m - especially if he might just "come back" if this merger goes through - but for someone who had some pretty high minded comments and generally seems pretty thoughtful it just blows. I'd like to hear his comments on this because I have to imagine the events in June really changed his thinking on this or something (or he's a really good liar).

I can guess. "I stayed to stand up for the PGA until they caved and took the money for themselves so I'm not going to leave half a billion on the table"

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Anno posted:

I'd completely understand that. I kinda just wish he'd say it, though.

Either way JFC pro golf is such a disaster. I kind of hate that I love it enough to keep chugging through all this.

Pro Athletes know that it rarely pays off to tell the media the blatant truth. This is as close as you are going to get.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

GEMorris posted:

New Cleveland CBX4 wedges dropped so its a good time to pick up the CBX Zipcores (was the 3 but they didn't call it that)on ebay.

I want to try the cbx4s at demo day. big fan of easy to hit wedges.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
For the second year in a row I'm doing something weird in the beginning of the year where I am closing the face 5+ degrees at contact. Everything on the sim is low and left. What's really weird is if do this: After the shot, if I keep my grip on the club and setup again, the face is closed at address.

I don't understand it at all. At Address, my grip looks fine. It's just frustrating.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Aggro posted:

Hay goon golfers,

I've been pretty consistent with hitting balls at least twice a week, and I'm definitely seeing some good things. I have definitely improved my ability to shallow the club and not swing over-the-top, and my contact is far more consistent than it used to be. However, I'm still really struggling to shift weight to my left hip, and more than anything, I still cannot get my lead hip to move back instead of extending.

Here's an 8 iron and a 3 wood from last week:

8 Iron

3 Wood

If anyone has some good drills they'd recommend, I'm all for it. There's an outrageous amount of content online but I've found it helpful to pick a specific aspect of the swing to focus on each week or so.

I'm not a good golfer so take this with that in mind. Your takeaway makes me cringe a bit. You immediately cock the wrists and the club is way to inside.

Try this. https://youtu.be/wqhXzwiFCJY?si=K0OEsMs8Kqx-1sf9

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

iNteg posted:

Of course there's a SA Golf Thread :getin:

I'm a newer golfer, one of those COVID golfers, you'd say. Got the itch in 2022, and then kinda went a little nuts in 2023. Got a coupon from a friend for 40% off anything in the entire cobra golf store, and as a gift to myself bought an entire bag of clubs and a KS1 putter.

Spent most of the summer hitting in the 100s, joined a local private simclub, got more lessons, and shot an 87 at the old course last week, my best score (on a sim) so far. Something finally clicked with how i was swinging, which means that next time i try to play i'm gonna shoot awful, top the ball, and my slice is coming back with a vengeance, but my driver started going 200+ and straight, instead of 170 and 40 yards right.

Ignore the triple on 17, you gotta go over the hotel but stay left enough to be not OB, and i was OB many many times, so i tripled myself out (that was the auto concede setting i had on)

Don't lose it when you shoot a 105 on the course this year.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

iNteg posted:

I plan to shoot 120 on the course this year, at least multiple times.

Edit: those are the days when i switch to "Smiley face for good hole, frowny face for bad hole"

They should add this to the grint.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

mattfl posted:

The wife and I watched a bit of it, it was pretty entertaining.

Homa is pretty funny and I thought it was unfair to the ladies to have to tee off the same distance as the men on the 183 yard par 3.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm ball shopping this year. Does anyone know what the equivalent of the Srixon Q star tour balls are?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

Do you like them in particular? Or is it the price point? I love their zstars, hate the Qstar.

I've run thru most of the big name online only balls. Snell isn't durable enough for me, vice are pretty good at the top end, but not great pricing until you buy like 5 dozen. I like the Cut Grey, and they're cheap, but they have had reported quality control issues.

I kind of like the Q star, but I'm wondering if there is something better. I have a tendency to hook my driver into the woods so I like lower spinning balls.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

RCarr posted:

Turns out completely re-building your swing isn’t easy.

All it took for me was to build a budget indoor sim in my garage along with a garage heater, one lesson a month for every month, and the dedication to swing a club in the garage 5 days a week in the winter.

I'm now hitting a slight draw instead of a slice, but haven't been able to bring it on the course yet because it's cold in New England.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This sport kills me. Yesterday I was practicing in the garage and it was beautiful draws. This morning I went to hit 10 balls before work and you would think I never hit a seven iron before. Low and left, low and right, just awful.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Urethane posted:

Anyone have thoughts on "driving irons", those long irons that are big and hollow but still kind of iron-shaped?

After another round of good driving and irons but disastrous hybrid play I think I might take the hybrids out of the bag for a while and put my 4 and 5 iron back in. No matter how I try to fix things, I always have and toe-biased miss patter with the hybrids, and I seem to be mentally compensating when I try things like adjusting the ball placement and other things. My other clubs also have a toe-bias but it's not nearly as bad, on the hybrids it's in overdrive.

It will take some serious range work to figure out, so while I work on that I'm thinking of trying some driving irons and maybe adding one to the bag to fill the gap that used to be filled by my 3, 4, and 5 hybrid which all go further than my 4 iron.

As a Hybrid lover it's my uneducated opinion that people who struggle with their hybrids try to hit them like a 5 wood with a sweeping motion. Instead, they should be swinging them like a 7 iron.

The other problem is that if you don't get fitted for the right ones you can end up with a model that has lots of draw bias.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

GEMorris posted:

I need to get me a 7w so I can join the 4w/7w crew

Once you go 7 wood you never go back. My league course has a few holes where the doglegs start at 200 yards from the tee and the 7 wood rarely fails me.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Urethane posted:

The swing part is the only thing keeping me from committing to woods, I don't know how to do a fairway wood swing.

The 7 wood is a great way to learn on because the shaft is shorter making It a bit more forgiving.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

GEMorris posted:

Tangentially, I personally feel (mostly from synthesizing the opinions of multiple fitters and builders) that the average amateur golfer should probably be running driver, 4w, 7w, 5h, and maybe even 6h at the top of the bag. This is according to folks who aren't trying to sell you new clubs every year or inpress you on Instagram.

This is close to what I play. Driver 4w 7w 4h 5h 6h 7i 8i 9i pw 48 54 58. I certainly am not an amazing golfer but I hit the hybrids better than all my friends hit their long irons.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This winter I've been working with a coach and practicing in my garage on a makeshift sim. I've been working from the short clubs to the longest and have probably got over a thousand balls since January.

I can comfortably swing with an in to our pattern on every club except the Driver (which I just started on). It's such an unnatural feeling with it, like I'm almost swinging it underhanded.

Hopefully I'll get it down before the season starts.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Oodles posted:

What do you use for a launch monitor.

I’m considering getting one, but want something pretty cheap, but can do ball flight.

Garmin Approach R10 with a Titleist RCT golf ball. I only use it to work on swing path and face angle and it's done wonders for my stroke. I'm one of those people that needs immediate feedback so I can try to get the right feel.

Note: The Approach will work fine without the RCT golf ball, but you get more precise spin measurements when you use it.
Note 2: Make sure you have the minimum space requirements if you are going to use it indoors. I think it needs to be 6 to 8 feet behind the ball and and 8 feet from the ball to the net.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Aggro posted:

I had never heard of “RCT” balls. Does it actually make a difference? I seem to get pretty consistent measurements just hitting buckets of random Callaways from a bulk purchase.

Carl's place did some testing. https://www.carlofet.com/blog/are-titleist-pro-v1-rct-balls-worth-the-cost

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Driver swing speed this year tops out at 97. Is it time to move to Regular flex shafts?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Just got back from a Myrtle Beach trip. I do wish that I could have gotten some other rounds in before the trip because I couldn't get off the tee or putt. And my slice came back after practicing indoors for weeks to get rid of it.

Tough sport

daslog fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 15, 2024

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Douchebag posted:

Which courses did you play?

Burning Ridge, River Hills, World Tour, Willbrook, Tradition. We got rained out of TPC Myrtle for the second year in a row.

It was fun but it just feels like a waste to play badly the whole week.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I play the Wilson Zip ball when I'm not so serious, and the Q-Star Tour when I am. Both good balls.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Pulled out the Eyeline Speed trap after a year of not using it. I've been working on getting rid of my over the top move for years and it really helps.

It also amazes me how easy it is to revert back to my bad habits and how foreign it feels to swing in to out with the driver.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Omne posted:

Golf sucks.

Played 18 this morning. Tried to put into practice what I worked on during my lesson and range sessions earlier in the week, and it was like I'd never swung a club before. On the good side, my driver averaged 233 which is great for me.

And this course's back nine was three par 3s, three par 4s, and three par 5s. I love it, they should all be like that

It takes a lot of practice and reinforcement to get lessons to stick. You just have to put in the practice time and there is no way around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I've been working on trying to swing more into out and it hurts my back when I wake up the next morning. Bummer