Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
splash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Anyone use a Swing Analyzer that works with Android and what are your thoughts on them?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Not that I'm even close, but once you are in the low 80's it's going to take a lot more effort to go from 85 to 80 than it did to get from 90 to 85. Sometimes it's just not worth all that effort.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
After yet another lovely round today, I'm mystified as to how people improve from shooting 104 to 74. I'm starting to think I just don't have the right mental attitude for golf.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Any ideas for clubs for an 11 year old girl who swings lefty and is 5 feet tall?

Edit: I want a backyard like this

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGaepXMGKij/

daslog fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 10, 2016

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Had a 45 minute lesson today.

Faults:

I do a C thing on my backswing where I bring my whole body back instead of just moving the shoulders.
I swing with my arms too much and not my chest enough.

Got a lot too work on.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
After a 109 today, I'm going to have to dial back my expectations. I also need to settle on a club for hitting 30 to 90 yard pitches...

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I shot a 49 at leagues tonight without hitting any of my woods. Had I not made one stupid mistake, that could have been a 45. I'm thinking I might be better off not swinging the big clubs until I'm sure they won't go out of bounds.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

cheese posted:

I was looking for some information about putting and it, like the rest of golf, seems to have a ton of often widely different opinions. How do you guys separate the bullshit from the good info in golf, or is it less about good info and more about what works for you? I've been going down the youtube rabbit hole over the last week and I think I'm doing myself more harm than good looking at all of these different instructors and videos. For every Monte Scheinblum who I look at and go "Ya that seems to make sense" there is some guy talking about "natural biomechanical swing" that does 7 things different (and says I will hurt myself if I play golf like Monte).

I have been taking lessons for 3 weeks now. I feel like my swing is worse, I'm totally uncomfortable, and just got back from a range session where I totally lost it at the end.

I'm starting to think a lot of this is just bullshit, and golf is a game where are you either have it or your don't.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Shrapnig posted:

How often are you taking lessons and how much are you practicing in between lessons?

I always play much worse for a time after a lesson. I took a lesson about a month ago and as of yet I haven't really seen any big improvement with my irons but I'm 30 yards longer, really, with my driver, and I'm hitting it much straighter so I'm at least optimistic. My scores have gotten better purely because instead of a 5-6 iron into greens I'm hitting an 8-9.

I had my second session yesterday. I hit the range about 4 times between sessions. I'm probably hoping for too much too soon, as we are working on the following swing faults:

1) Reverse C on the back swing. I've done enough reps to fix this.
2) Picking up the shoulders and moving the hips in at the top of the back swing. Bad armatures do this because we think we need more back swing to get more power. Also fixed.
3) Too much arms and not enough body. I have some exercises to maintain the triangle.

1 and 2 were easy fixes for me. #3 has been a nightmare. I was hitting a lot of thin and fat shots, and now I'm so uncomfortable when I swing the club. I'm fortunate to have a range 3 minutes from my house to practice at.

All of this has not resulted in better scores. I was fairly well adapted to my bad swing, but I had plateaued at a 21 handicap.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
106. I haven't been this discouraged since I quit golf 15 years ago.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Can someone explain how you "maintain the triangle" on your backswing? It seems to me like it would go away at the very top of the swing, or at least get badly distorted.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Josh Lyman posted:

You can maintain the triangle halfway back, but as you approach the top of your swing, your right elbow bends so the triangle will rotate.

Your thought should not be "maintain the triangle". "Slow and low" on the takeaway is enough.

Thank you sir.

My instructor has been trying to get me to stay coordinated and has me doing exercises like this.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/swingfix-full-swing-triangle-drill/

For some reason, it's just not connecting in my brain how to turn this into a golf swing. I feel like I'm swing so slowly and I don't get that feeling that I'm spinning correctly. (I don't feel like I'm describing it well)

daslog fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 19, 2016

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sataere posted:

I understand your exact frustration. I am only now starting to understand, and I could very well be understanding wrong.

On your back swing, are your arms doing most of the work in positioning your club? I know I was (and sort of still am ) doing that and it is why I struggled with the concept.

Something sort of clicked in my head tonight so I went out and hit the range. I basically did the low and slow back swing maintaining the triangle and then I just let momentum carry my arms up the rest of the way. Then I just flicked my wrist back a little to cock them and let centrifugal force do the rest on my downswing. I just let my wrists do their thing passively. I could not believe how fast the clubhead went. This resulted in me hitting some bombs.

are my wrists supposed to be totally relaxed and do nothing?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Summit posted:

I like reading your posts because you're in a very similar place as me and on the same journey of learning how to swing. I started out not too long ago shooting 120's with an arm dominated swing that I had no hope of controlling. I'm slowly working in more lower body movement. I'm down to the 95-105 range at the moment. I would say the feeling you're describing makes perfect sense to me — I too am working on keeping my arms, wrists, hands, etc. completely passive. It's certainly not an easy transition. Despite long being aware of my arm and wrist overuse I'm still working on it actively every practice session.

Since I'm very much a 'feel' person I've come up with an analogy that might be of some use:

Without a club, hold your arms out in front of you and move them back and forth smoothly in a circle. That's essentially an arm dominated swing.
Now, do the same thing but spin your body and let your arms fly freely. I know I personally can generate a lot more speed this way. The path of my arms is pretty much the same too but it's maintained with centrifugal force instead of my arms holding everything up. This makes it highly repeatable since I'm not consciously doing anything to control it.

It's a very simple demonstration of the power of the body turn, both in power and accuracy, that's helped me get in the right frame of mind.

Thanks! Yesterday in leagues I hit 2 drives 260 yards.That's 40 farther than my best ever, both dead straight. I'm firmly in the convinced catagory, now I just have to figure out how to stop hitting in fat and thin. When I connect, it's a thing of beauty.

Edit: I hit the range tonight. Totally sucked. My arms felt stiff and uncomfortable. I never really connected with the ball with anything but the Driver, which felt loose and I hit it straight for a mile.

daslog fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 22, 2016

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm just going to leave this here...

http://i.imgur.com/1YHxx0j.gifv

:allears:

You young kids should try to marry a women that can golf.

Had a great lesson today. Smooth swing, one piece takeaway, have to stop sliding the hips, and when I hook it it's because I'm closing the face.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

BCRock posted:

All of that is awesome except the hooking part.

You're not hooking (having the ball move right to left, assuming right handed) because your club face is closed. You're hooking because your swing path at impact is more inside-out relative to your target than your face is pointing left relative to your target.

Face angle dictates launch direction and swing path dictates curve.

Just as an example, my go-to shot with the driver is a big high pull-fade (starts left and fades back to the middle). At impact, my club face is closed - pointing left of the target a few degrees - and I make sure to swing out to in (set up a little bit open and swing along my foot line). That shot will move left to right every time.

Hope this doesn't come across as pedantic or anything. Understanding what causes different ball flights is a huge part of being able to effectively diagnose swing flaws.

I questioned him on that too. The rules of ball flight are actually something like 66% swing path and 33% club face. As measured by my sensor, my swing path is actually a little outside-in. The face gets closed because I get a little flippy with the golf club.

We made a small adjustment and it went away.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

BCRock posted:

Yup. If your face is way closed and your path is only a little out-in you're still going to hit a draw/hook, but the ball's also going to start out going left and just get worse from there.

Exactly. We worked on swinging inside-out (which is really just hitting the ball square but it feels like hitting inside out) and getting the face square. Still have work to do but as he put it "Golf is adjusting between strokes. It never ends"

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Played 18 with a friend today on the same course that I shot a 106 on last time a week ago. He usually shoots in the high 80's low 90's.

:boom:

:siren: Broke 90, and shot the best round of my life. :siren:

88! 6 strokes better than my previous best of 94. Had 2 bad drives, one went OOB, but I recovered nicely from both. It's a lot of fun to finally play real golf!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Shrapnig posted:

Nice dude.

I see you have the same issues as me where a quad and/or triple every round is inevitable and trying torpedo you.

I usually save mine for 17 so that I gently caress myself though.

That hole was a mess. I tee my ball up high and that particular drive when about 100 yards straight up. I hit a 5 Iron out of the rough, then pulled a 7 iron left and lost the ball. A three put did the rest. One of the keys to this round was having a short memory. For me it was just take one shot at a time and don't look at the scorecard. I knew I had a good round going but i didn't dare look at the scorecard until the round was over.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DJExile posted:

grats daslog :toot:

Thanks!

Serious question. I have Ping Karsten game improvement irons. At what point do I ditch them for something more advanced?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Josh Lyman posted:

They're probably fine until you're a bogey golfer.

My wife will like that answer.
Edit: Wait, a Bogey golfer is 90. Let's see what the next two months bring.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So now that I'm a real golfer (yes I'm still pumped about breaking 90) I find that at the Range I'm making solid contact on my Irons but I tend to have that closed face on my hybrids. The pro mentioned that I'm casting a little on the hybrids, but I'm deathly afraid to try to tweak my swing now that I'm actually hitting the ball well. Do I try to Youtube my way out of casting, or do I just live with it until I'm more settled in my swing?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

EnsGDT posted:

Where in your stance are you putting the ball when you hit your hybrids?

Middle. I swing them like irons.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So again my own best judgement, I decided to work on the casting today. A random youtube search turned this up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAcTOsQOlNA

I have no idea who this Asian Golf pro Aimee is, but she does videos in multiple languages (Japanese?) She has a way of explaining things is a way that I can completely understand it and this drill helped me a lot today at the range. Also, Ishe's a hottie. :love::love::love:

My only complaint now is that i'm taking deep divots after hitting the ball. (I'm not sure this is a bad thing)

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Today's round wasn't as good as the 88, but I hit two birdies. My driver failed me a bit on the back 9.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Halo14 posted:

Don't sweat it, worst case you get a stupidly high handicap and dominate taking home your first monthly medal :)

That's the big weakness of the handicap system. Three rounds isn't nearly enough to get a good fix on your ability.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Suprfli6 posted:

Unsolicited swing advice is just a part of golf unfortunately, everyone has to deal with it. Right now my backswing is very upright and my hands get higher than they're "supposed to" but that's because when I had a shallower backswing I hooked the poo poo out of everything. Today I was hitting a 7i off the tee on a dogleg par 4, and a guy in my group who was hitting his 3 hybrid to the same spot as me started giving pointers... Thanks but no thanks lol. He's a decent golfer and all but everybody has different physical abilities, different impact characteristics, and different ways of correcting their flaws, so the latest tip his instructor gave him is unlikely to do squat for me.

Speaking of Hooks, I'm either striping a great drive down the middle or I'm hooking it left.

Also, I played the worst golf course in New Hampshire today, Crotched Mountain. The front 9 is designed by Donald Ross, who I assume hated every golfer with a handicap higher than 5.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Suprfli6 posted:

DJ has pulled out of the Olympics now, that's a shame. Can't really blame all these top guys but it's lame that the first Olympic Golf in like a century is going to be missing so many stars.

I just wish they wouldn't hide behind the Zika virus threat (it's not a threat in the winter) and just admit that the Olympics is a dumpster fire that they don't want to be associated with.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So I just had a really bad range session. Hitting everything fat or thin with any adjustment I made only working for a couple of shots. In leagues on Monday I started out really well, finished poorly but still beat my quota. So I'm at this point now where my left shoulder is a little shore and I don't know what's going on with my swing.

Now What?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I subbed in leagues last night because my friends partner was on vacation. I crushed every drive with a slight draw. It was amazing, and golf is so much more fun when you can hit your tee shot in play every time. I birdied a par 5, and of course I 4 putted a par 4 that I made the green in 2. (ouch)

What I need to work on next:

4 and 5 hybrids. I'm not doing much with these at the moment because I lack confidence when I swing them. Lots of hooks still.
Stop 3 putting.
30 to 70 yard chips. I'm starting to realize how important these shots are.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

Close to be close is a mistake. A full wedge out is better than a half wedge for most golfers. Yeah, 10' off the green is better than 100 yards, but 100 yards is generally a more manageable distance than 60 yards, and it makes sense to set up your shot accordingly.

I'm starting to thing that the trick is to have a "go to" shot that I can hit every time dead on. If it's a 100 yard gap wedge then that's what I should be setting up for. Overall, I'm still working on it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I have a large golf problem that I need help with.

I need a golf hat that isn't a baseball cap, protect my shaved head from the sun, comes in Extra large, and doesn't make me look like an idiot.

Help me goons, you are my only hope.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Josh Lyman posted:

Lol if anyone gives Michelle Wie money in 2016.

She's struggled a bit but she's hot

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Shot a 94 yesterday. In the spring, I would have been thrilled. Now I know I could have done a lot better if I was just more conservative on the back 9. On the positive side, only one lost ball and nothing above a 7. I need to stop working on my swing all the time and spend 2 days a week working on putting. 3 putts are the death of a good round.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It's back to the drawing board for me. Too many 3 putts, too many bad pitches, and too many bad 4 hybrids. At this point, I've lost all confidence in putting and the hybrids. Going to reboot on the putting form (it's bad) and I don't know what to do about the long irons/hyrbids. I just don't have any confidence in the swing which results in all kinds of bad things happening.

I also have a bad attitude when things go really bad. I'm still pissed out my golf this week and I'm still convinced that unless you are a natural, Golf isn't a sport that you can just pick up and be good at when you start later in life.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Shrapnig posted:

Golf just isn't a sport you can pick up and be good at regardless of what age you start playing.

I agree. What I was trying to that starting again in my mid 40s is a lesson in frustration.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Halo14 posted:

Have you got lessons from a pro? I've been playing for ~20 years and I'm a complete dumbass for only getting them now.

Humbling experience but It's completely changed me and I actually have confidence with a driver for the first time ever.

Yes, and it was going well for a while too. I tend to be very analytical and probably would get more out of a video analysis so I could see what I'm actually doing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Shrapnig posted:

No I don't know these rounds. I would like to though.

Me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

NickRoweFillea posted:

Godspeed on breaking your game down and building it back up daslog

Thanks! I may be down, but I'm not ready to give up yet. I'll keep posting these until people get sick of it.

First, I think I found the issue with my putting stroke. Sank 10 4 footers in a row on the putting green and practiced some lag putting. Feeling a lot better about the flat stick. Then I decided to an experiment on the range. I would hit 10 balls with a PW, 8,7,6, 5 Hybrid, and my 4 hybrid and keep track of how the shots went.

These are in order, with no warm up balls hit.

PW - 8 good, 1 think, 1 off target to the right. 80%
8 Iron - 7 good,2 right, 1 left, 1 very low. (I then checked my alignment, made an adjustment)
7 Iron - 9 good, 1 right.
6 Iron 6 good, 2 right, 2 low shots.
5 Hybrid 4 good, 2 draws, 2 low, 1 skulled 1 right
4 Hybrid 4 good,2 fat, 1 really fat, 2 with excessive draw, 1 thin

The shots marked "Right:" or "Left" were all straight as an arrow, no fade or draw. The ones marked Draw would have landed off the fairway if I was on a course.

I think this means that I should take the 4,5, and 6 out of my bag until I can hit 9 out of 10 every time. Thoughts?

daslog fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 18, 2016