Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Martin Kaymer on line #1 for you about forcing a draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Thanks Callaway for following TM and changing to a yearly release on the Xhot/X2hot/XR................and making the colors completely different every year. At least that inspired me to get a X2hot 5hybrid (:corsair:) to match my X2hot 4hybrid before they all disappeared.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
if you are 5'7" and have reasonably long arms or short legs you might need to go down 3 degrees "flat" from where your clubs are now. It will make sense once you get on a lie board.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, that hand.........was that from video gaming or something? Horrible dude, get better.

Callaway Apex Pro's are the real deal..........I have the regular Apex because I am an old broken 13 hcp and love the things. What is weird is that the Pro's aren't that much harder to hit.

Discount Dans out of Oregon kicks the poo poo out of any other retailer so if anyone is pondering new sticks...go there.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

daslog posted:

My wife wants learn to play golf and is taking her first lesson on Thursday. She's never swung a club in her life. Any recommendations for clubs? I don't want to invest a lot, so I would probaly buy them used on Ebay.

what about something like this??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Callaway-St...=item51cbaf7f5b

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I could be a decent weekend golfer again if I'd remember to not poo poo my pants and blackout 4+ times per round. I wasn't even drinking either, Meh.

Golfshot.com app

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 21, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
McIlroy with some epic kill shots at the end to put down Big Jim Furyk. :stare:

Woodland vs McIlroy for the final. Harding is holding her own. Great course.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Definitely look for slightly used clubs on Ebay after getting a brief fitting. Lot's of 3-6mo old clubs out there dumped by "club ho's" at 60% off MSRP.

Hey speaking of club hoez I just got some of those Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB wedges (54/58 after testing them at our big rear end outdoor course/range/shop) and holy poo poo, my 2 year old Vokey's will be hitting Ebay soon.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
"let's do this poo poo"

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Of course it's disappointing that the great Spanish swordsman Sergio Garcia :spain: did not claim victory,
but Trickie Rickie closed that poo poo out beastmode style. :ca:

ps: I thought he was making out with his Sister at first :stonkhat:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 11, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

UnionCarbide posted:

California golf courses are basically going to be Mad Max: Fury Golf in about a month, playing someplace with actual green grass is going to be a hell of a culture shock.

Stevinson Ranch out by Turlock, CA is closing. Super fun course too........got way too expensive for the locals the last few years though ($70) and they were trying to build semi-custom homes along it at one point that never panned out.

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/sports/article21424410.html

http://www.ncga.org/2015/05/19/stevinson-ranch-gc-to-close-july-20/

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Definitely make someone rally with you out there and play after 12, it's great fun especially if you are stuck playing 6hr rounds in the bay area. I finished a round there last July 4 in the afternoon in 2.5 hrs.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
it seems the most in stock versions of the Karsten Anser 2 is the bronzey one:

PING Golf Karsten TR Anser 2 - 2014

The other Anser 2's are the Cadence TR........I got the heavy version a few months ago and like it and the 2013 Scottsdale TR and the Anser Anser 2 milled (what Bubba uses).

Morton Golf has some relationship with Ping where they still stock all the "old classics" if you wanted a really old but new Anser/Anser2 not sure if Golfsmith does as well.

https://www.mortongolfsales.com/PING-Putters-s/583.htm

you might want to go back and see if they have the Ping putter fitting kit with the different lies to test out (red dot/green/blue/black) etc. Sometimes a red dot -1 degree flat (like Bubba has) works better to promote a slight arc. Also if you order Ping will toss on a Superstroke grip for $20 as well.

Golfsmith has the milled Anser 2 for $150 as well:
http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30053259/ping-anser-milled-putter-black-dot

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 3, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Ping makes a Cadence Ketsch heavy 388g as well if you like that head over the Rustler. It also has the choice of 3 head balances which translates to their (straight, slight, strong) labeling.

http://www.ping.com/clubs/puttersdetail.aspx?id=18298

You could also go gonzo with the counterbalancing and put on a Superstroke Flatso 2.0 XL and add the 50g screw in grip weight to it. I did that on a Ping Craz-E and it ends up being the putter I use when I am hungover or on really fast greens.

https://www.superstrokeusa.com/index.php/products/putter-grips/series-flatso-2-0-xl/#.VXBj1EY3KtM

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 4, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That's the thing with the heavy head with the heavy grip combo - it evens it all out so you don't feel the head as much so even an alcoholic yipper can make a somewhat straight stroke.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm playing down in Carmel, CA at Spyglass which I've never played before and the new revised Poppy Hills in two weeks. Gonna get my rear end handed to me but at least the coastal weather should be fantastic in between 8's and 4 putt's. Lucky to not be paying full list of $400 list for Spyglass since it's a tournament.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Putin sponsors him and has anyone denying him a spot murdered.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Ribsauce posted:

Holy moly, this Ping K15 driver is the best 40 dollars I have ever spent in my entire life.

Here is how my old driver (580xd) would go. Out of 10 shots, 3 would fly to the right at almost a 90 degree angle, 3 would go like 25 feet, 2 would land some random place 100 yards away, and 2 would fly semi straight.

With the K15, I had almost no ball not go semi straight. Out of 10 at least 8 would have me happy. I wasn't hitting it super far, but considering most of the time I hit a 7 iron off the tee because I have no confidence in anything bigger, it doesn't have to fly a mile to help me tremendously.

NOTE: There is no reason this is due to swing improvement. I used my old driver Friday and it was horrible and the new one today. I did not watch any videos or work on anything.

If super game improvement irons help as much as changing drivers I am buying some very soon. Does anyone use "super game improvement" irons? I think the mats helped my irons last time because I had a lot of mishits today. Lesson learned, grass driving range only. Of course, it was like 100 degrees and I was in the dead sun, so that did not help.

I think Bubba Watson played a K15 driver until 3 years ago so you are in good company. The only problem with the biggest SGI's is they are a pita to hit out of the rough. GI's like the Mizuno JPX 825 are in the sweet spot, forgiving but not too obnoxious and huge where you can't hit the green from 160 yards away from the rough. Blades are obviously easier to hit out of the rough but merciless everywhere else.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 15, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
you got an 8 on that par 5 don't lie.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
meh, I'm used to playing courses where everything is surrounded by houses and is freaking O.B.............even some of the red stake areas are red/green stake areas where even if your ball is findable/hittable you have to take a penalty. MEH

plus, what this "2 putt" thing? impossible

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
"courses" that are real estate developments first and golf courses second maximize acreage for houses by spreading the gently caress out of the holes and including glorious 2 mile hikes* on concrete between tee boxes. At least in California that's how it works.

*might as well be

example: http://salesarchitect.exsquared.com/SiteOverview?partnerID=7&siteID=33

also, the LPGA actually played tour stops at two of these courses back in the 90's but only once at Lincoln where it's 100's of yards between some of the holes and there were tons of complaints and they refused to come back.

shitloads of courses set up the same way all over Nevada/Arizona too.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 18, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Holy crap........adding all the waste bunkers (Pinehurst style) to Poppy Hills and removing all the rough actually made it harder....the place was rock hard as well and we didn't make a ball mark on the humungous greens all day. My only highlights were a few pars and a birdie on the Par 5 18th in front of the clubhouse crowd.

Stock Poppy Hills #12 pic: of course on this hole I hit a very solid drive with a draw right over the left edge of the right fairway bunker but it hit a mound and went directly right into the O.B. Good times!

Spyglass front 9 is absolutely brutal with some long uphill par 4's on 8/9 that pretty much finish you off after being completely confused by where to hit anything on all the oceanside holes and the guidebook is no help. The back nine is actually a relief and I weaseled my way out of there with a 44 after getting massacred by the front even though there is still tons of elevation and trees waiting.

This is the 3rd hole par 3, 125 yds from white normal human golf tees. Tee is elevated and to the left. I three putted in glorious fashion after my first putt rolled 12 feet down past the hole (green slopes left to right towards the ocean more severely than the pic would suggest.) No time but for a few pics because we were in a tournament and everyone was getting pushed hard by the rangers and NCGA officials.

Some more 2 green and 3 pics.....sad that's all I had time for. Meh!

BLUE: Rating 75.5 / Slope 144 6960 yds
GOLD: Rating 73.8 / Slope 140 6538 yds
WHITE: Rating 72.2 / Slope 132 6123 yds
RED: Rating 72.6 / Slope 130 5381 yds

Golfshot app says I had 14 shots from the sand over the two days including several doing the splits or various other contortions and 2 of them left handed. There are some serious "gently caress YOU" fairway and greenside bunkers at Spyglass that are deep and steep and will hurt you in many ways trying to get out of.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 26, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I found a new proV1 with this on it a few weeks ago.........Pondering a purchase.

http://www.tin-cup.com/

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
dickbutt?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

fascinate posted:

I'm trying to find the best golf bag for my buck and could use some advice. I'm trying to find a stand bag that is sub $100, has more that 4 club spacers, will last a while, and doesn't look terrible. I know I may be asking for a lot with the sub $100 and last a while requirement, but I wanted to see if there was strong opinion out there. I keep looking to the Ogio bags on Ebay, as they seem to meet my needs. Anyone have experience with this manufacturer, or have a better recommendation?

OGIO 2014 Shredder Stand Bag

$95 with shipping but you have to want a red/black bag
http://www.amazon.com/OGIO-Mens-Shredder-Stand-Bag/dp/B00J8J0U90

$114 shipped for the grey
http://www.amazon.com/OGIO-Mens-Shredder-Stand-Bag/dp/B00J8J0U90

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
what are St. Andrews tix costing? Gotta go by Lagavulin or Laphraoig too.

I've been to England but never Scotland/Ireland........need to get on that poo poo and go play Carnoustie and get my face caved in and then Castle Stuart and Turnberry. One guy from my Norcal golf group went to Carnoustie and had a blast even though it was really freaking difficult.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I hit my 3w/5w straight as poo poo and can swing as hard as I want with them even when I have a glorious 2 way miss going on with my various driver/shaft combo's. :smith:

150 yds out, center cut vs 130 yds out.......in a trench behind a tree and various rocks/boulders in 12 inch weeds hitting 4 since my first tee shot completed its mission to be 100yds offline and went O.B. already?

I also play from under 6,500 yd tees so there are many par 4's and even par 5's where you have to keep your drive under 250 and also take into account rock hard drought fairways.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 14, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

DoctaFun posted:

This makes a big difference, I either play from ~6700 or 7000 at my course, both of which has very few 'lay-up' holes. The holes that don't require driver I normally hit a hybrid. But from the back tees I think there's only 1 or 2 par 4's that I ever consider hitting 'not driver'.

most of these course out here between Sacramento, CA and Lake Tahoe also can have 130 slope at 6300 yds with tons of jail, forced carries and 12 foot slopes in greens. We play here often from just the blues and it will still kick your teeth in. I had my best round there (80) after a huge winter rain and the place was soft and mushy, usually it's rock hard and everything will run off the fairways/greens.

You first view from the 1st tee is this: :stonk:

and then approach and of course "an invisible from the tee" trench that probably ate your tee shot (or your second shot if you even think about duffing):

Short Par 4 #2 is straight uphill with nowhere to hit anything more than a perfectly placed 200 yd tee shot to the left of the middle bunker, anything else just rolls into them or off into the weeds/trees. The green slopes front to back is rock hard and if you don't place it properly and bank it off the top rough over the green and have it roll back down, you can 4 putt it just like I did last week. :dance:

it's hard to see the actual elevation but I assume Bubba/Rory could hit a 350 yd drive up the hill and land it soft on the right side.

Par 5 4th........have to either hit a driver up the left side and hope it doesn't kick too hard right down towards the jail (it will) or just hit 3 wood short of the bunker and hope it doesn't kick too hard to the right as well (it still might). The actual tee boxes are way to the left and back of this pic so you don't have this angle at all from them.

very short Par 3 6th........don't go long.......or short.

Par 4 10th......you have to hit your tee shot into the right rough near that bunker so it hopefully just trickles out else it will just roll hard left into the other bunkers or weeds. There is room over all that stuff if you hit it 300+ but even then it will roll into a trench/weeds if not tossed way out right. And even then you'll have a massively downhill/sidehill lie.

Some of our courses are just hole after hole of this..............

Here is my last round there on July 3..........my back was totally locked up before I even showed up and despite all the carnage on the front - I was playing hard and not giving up and I had to wait for the Vicodin and Lagunitas IPA to kick in on hole 11 before I got things sort of worked out - couldn't walk at all the next day and am still wonky. meh

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 14, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
def check it out if going between SF and Tahoe........under $65 too.

Are you going to roll through Castle Stuart again? I would think the second time through would be easier.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
no deep fried Haggis reports = fail

I would retire and live in that halfway house.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think history has proved that Allenby is batshit crazy.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Bubba's an aspie and jerk to people in person (according to many,) but IMO fantastic to watch play when he's on his game and talking to his imaginary friends and hitting insane shots. On the downside, nobody packs it in quicker when things are tough.

Hoping 2 weeks off have assuaged my nagging injuries and I can hit full shots without yelping like a bitch during 3 rounds up in Las Vegas Jr (Reno) this weekend.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Just wait for the non-adjustable Aeroburners to hit sales racks instead since it's apparently a major upgrade over the lower launching Jetspeed - according to the goons I play with that have them.

Also, run from the SLDR's - there is a reason they have been on sale for 2 years - they are unhittable and even lower launching and have a tiny sweet spot.

DJ plays an Aeroburner.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 18, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
If yer in Roseville go down to Haggin Oaks and test a zillion drivers outdoors.....don't waste your time indoors at Golf Galaxy.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Don't forget that he cheated on his WHITE wife and girlfriends too. what a horrible monster. :whatup:

When Tiger was blitzkrieging the landscape it did get annoying just like Steffi/Martina/Sampras/Federererer/Serena and Schumacher/Vettel the New York Yankees and the 1980's SF 49ers and 1990's Cowboys....etc.

That being said it would be awesome to see him win again even if it's the 12th easiest field or something. He's pretty much done for majors though at 40.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 23, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
J-Day KILLDOZER. :australia:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

mattfl posted:

I'm gonna be needing a new driver here soon, that new M1 looks and sounds amazing but no way I'm dropping probably $500 on it brand new, I'll wait 3 months until TM comes out with their next version for it to drop to $2-300.

3 wood is ok I guess.

I could use some new hybrids, mine are getting on in age now.

Irons, well I just my Mizunos last year, custom fit and everything and I can't see myself getting rid of them anytime soon since they work so well for me.

Aeoroburner FTW.......filthy long but you gotta like no adjustments and a bonded shaft. My buddy just grabbed one so I've been testing it occasionally.

I'm going for a Great Big Berffa in a few months - but for now I'm sticking with the 2 Xhot heads I have in 9.5 and 11.5 and various shafts. Current gamer is the 9.5 with a Mitsu Kai'li 60s.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My friend had a few of those KICK XXXXX balls and he hit one out of the bunker and it peeled part of the cover off. Get those for sure.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
it's really weird in hindsight, we went from Ty Webb type early 80's fit polos to those huge baggy things by 1995 or so and there were no other choices around. I blame rap music. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
but the tiny sweet spots help you focus and the rebar shafts keeps your tweaked out long driver level swing speed and atmospheric launch under control.