Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I shot a 81 in our first tourney in January and followed it up with a 79 a few weeks ago with 28 putts (11.7 hcp) to win both events in our league of drunken misfits.

I then tweaked my wonky back the next day and followed it up with a 89, 91, and finally a 99 with 36 putts and 8 lost ball penalties. I was hitting tee shots all over the place but mostly into the woods/tall grass and there was no way to just "play through it."

I need to take 2 weeks off again and hope my back chills out before the next tourney. :smith:

I've never had a hole in one either but played with some rookie 26hcp dude nail one a few months ago. His tab at the clubhouse was $750.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Golfers are the least violent and least "hate" able athletes.

Sure Bubba has asperger's and talks to imaginary demons and Phil was (is?) a popped collar douchelord - I just want to watch them hit filthy shots and make it rain.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Valderrama looks pretty difficult on tv and apparently has a course rating/slope of 76/147 so that probably was the easiest hole, lol.

also: the Callaway Apex hybrids own, especially if you like smaller more iron-like hybrids. It's beastly and plenty forgiving as well.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Ebay?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Dimebag posted:

I never really though about it as I wasnt sure if shipping would be available or if it is at a reasonable price. That being said I managed to find some guys in the US who ship here for around $60AU which is not too bad, it opens up so much more choice. I also managed to snag a Titleist D913D3 for $150 with only light wear on the sole so I'm pretty pumped about that. So thanks for the suggestion, I'd never really used ebay for clubs before.

I've sold a few clubs on Ebay in the last year and several have gone to Australia and as a seller I'm only on the hook to ship the club to Ebay's mailing hub in Kentucky or Tennessee for $18 or so (I think they must use Fedex to ship Int) and then Ebay takes care of the rest of the shipping in what I imagine large containers filled with bogan bound clubs!

I'm not sure what the AUS buyer is on the hook for even If the seller was covering shipping - but I'm guessing now it's probably much less than $60 USD.

In the "old" days selling a club internationally was definitely $60+ for shipping.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Halo14 posted:

lmao at "bogan bound clubs".

Yeah shipping is still $50+ from the states to Australia for clubs. The dollar is poo poo too so add ~30% to the price.

so as a Aus buyer they just additional shipping to your auction purchase charge? I was hoping they just bundled a weeks worth of shipments at a time to save costs. Meh

I played yesterday too - at a course called Morgan Creek near Sacramento in NorCal. This is about normal for me and the 3 penalties were mostly not horrible tee shots just slightly off but there are fence intrusions all over that choke down many of the fairways and on the par 3 I was about 2 feet left of the green and it rolled down into the water.

The trademark tree in the middle of the fairway on #6 has died - so tee shots much easier than it used to be.

It's still filled with goofy poo poo like this though. But also more normal holes:

I played Bayonet and Poppy Hills down in Monterey last week and those are still especially great values and Bayonet/Blackhorse are excellent tight but very fair layouts. Poppy Hills has lots of room off the tee if you are conservative but the long approaches will wear you out and the greens are rock hard and accept nothing and the greens are monstrously huge. I 4 putted the second hole so that was fun.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 19, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

UnionCarbide posted:

I played there last April, and was hoping the place had slowed down a bit. The fairways were faster than most Bay Area muni greens! Still, a gorgeous course, and a great walking course.

I'm pretty sure Poppy Hills never slows down as it drains so well. This was a few days after the Saturday rain too.

I will say that even though we didn't fix a single ball mark on the greens all day and approaches/chipping to them were unforgiving - putting was not as fast as usual and a bit grainy so really hard to get the speeds right and easy to leave those all too common 35 footers 12 feet short (hey 4 putt time!). Fairways are super tight grass and very firm too so difficult to accidentally hit fat but very easy to superlaunch thin some approaches.

I definitely walked at Poppy and would always again. Even though it's in the hills it's layed out very well for walkers with only a long climb up a few holes and between 9's. People are dragging their carts right through all the new waste bunkers though to stay off the cart paths.

Bayonet not so friendly as there are some hikes on concrete paths between holes but still walkable.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 19, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
These days my 58 is only for <40yds, 54 <100 yds, 50 <110 yds, much safer for me. If playing on the coast/wind I can knock down a 8 iron right at 100yds too.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I still like the idea of 18 hole courses broken out into three six hole sections. I trolled out early to play 9 on Tuesday and would have been fine just playing 6 in an hour and then jamming to work.......also sometimes you have time 9 or 12 but not 18 especially in early morning and late evening.

Quit stuffing out players at 8 minute intervals (I think our L.A. guys can attest 8 min happens).

Quit making the 7-11am tee times too expensive (rendering them empty) until 11-1pm when everyone shoes up and stacks up on every hole requiring 4 perfect tee shots, 4 perfect approaches and no 4 putts to maintain pace.

Quit making enormous difficult greens running at 12+ would also make things move faster.

Old course layouts also are extremely walkable and don't take 500,000 acres of land with 300 yards between holes. Golf is for golf not for some R.E. developer to sell houses.

Finally, create a time machine and go back to the R&A in 1891 and make the fuckin' hole 6 inches instead of 4.25.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 5, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I live in Norcal not the Southeast.

I'm lucky as even the 3 courses nearby in Sun City old fogie places have half their courses significantly away from the houses and not horribly obnoxious.

These two are by me both under 20 yrs old, granted they may have some houses someday - but just ranches and/or parkland for now.

http://www.ridgegc.com/

http://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/Turkey-Creek-Golf-Club/Golf

This one has some houses but very much off the course FTMP.

http://www.darkhorsegolf.com/

This one is the full (sort of) private SELL GOLF VIEW LOTS TO BAY AREA DOUCHES MAKE $$$$$$$$$$

http://www.winchestercountryclub.com/

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

No one has ever pured a 1 iron. :smug:

ftfy!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I also think today's 22 degree 4 irons also launch at 30 degrees due to all the cup blade super master blaster faces and xenium dilithium face forged speed slots.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

218 yds into the 40 mph wind should have been an easy 5 iron! Nicklaus owns

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
just hot water/dish soap/brush is all I do to my grips.

PXG: did your boy go for the full $10,000 fitting in Scottsdale that includes fitting/golfing/Fireball shots/strippers/ho's/etc?

Those things are Mad Max Fury Road Death Metal.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Kameh posted:

Soap, hot water, toothbrush as well.

I so want to like the Plus 4s. MCC is a great grip, but I must have lady hands. I don't want reduced taper, and I definitely don't want a larger grip. I just got a new hybrid and wedge super cheap, and both had JUMBO grips installed. Who are these freak, giant golfers? It's like I was gripping a paper towel tube. No bueno.

Installed some Golf Pride CP2 grips, and I'm really liking them.

I need to do a WITB soon. Just installed an Oban Kiyoshi purple in my driver. I'm very much in love right now.

I hate the full jumbos but I played Midsize for a long time and currently go with standard +2 wraps which is a good place. Wait till you are over 45 (arthritis and old injuries). You will randomly drop poo poo all the time too, it's awesome.

My left hand got squished playing football and most of my fingers are janky from football as well, so that didn't help. Meh.

Got some Srixon z745's and I like them very much. I only go up to 6 iron because I am old and have hybrids. :colbert:

^^^^^and I bet >95% of PGA golfers are Trumpers.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
:spain::spain::spain::spain::spain::spain::spain:

...Koepka closing out like me. :ughh:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 22, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Shrapnig posted:

Thank God I currently have more sense than money because these wedges are loving awesome and I somehow missed that they released last year.

http://www.mizunousa.com/Golf/Products/S5-BLUE-ION-STEEL-RH

I thought about those since my new Srixon 745's don't have an AW but I ordered another Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50degree instead, they are whoring those things out right now for $89 with all shaft/grip upgrades for free. Discount Dans.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Isn't Houston windy as poo poo? Have you ever tried hitting an 8-iron low and "only" 100 yds for fun? It's sort of good training for Bandon Dunes and Carnoustie and poo poo like that where hitting it high is just going to do bad things. I read in his bio that someone asked Hogan what club he hit 150 and he showed them with like 4 different clubs with completely different trajectories.

I'd think higher handicappers should just go Pw/50/56 and use the 50 for everything between 40-100 and learn how to dial it down. I have many 20+ hcps in my league and they all try way too many hero shots with lob wedges that always chunk/skull and burn them.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 31, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
close enough?

https://www.amazon.com/Daphnes-Headcovers-ALL-Alligator/dp/B000KER5KY

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
that still doesn't stop them from calling multiple times beginning 3 hrs into the round and on adding honeydo list items, emergency alerts (the dog just barked! I want to buy a new kitchen when can we do that?) and time/logistical quizzes.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

DJExile posted:

Everyone watch the Scottish open at Castle Stuart because it is the best course. also I'm going back in august omg omg omg omg eeeeeeeeeee :f5:

That's the most scottish loving thing and I love it

Here's where my drives would end up if I played there 4 times.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
JOE BUCK AND THE FOX SPORTS ULTRA MEGA HD SAND CAM SPOTTED MOVEMENT WHILE ANNA NORDQUIST ADDRESSED A BUNKER SHOT on the 17th hole.

and of course the USGA waits until after she hits her 3rd shot into the par 5 18th to let her know. :newlol:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The actual cameraman was the guy who called it in to the booth too.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
just let Phelps play for the USA in between swimming events

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
YUCK

I thought getting old (just turned 48) would make me like heat but I loving hate it more than ever! :corsair: :freep:

How the gently caress do people survive in the heat AND humidity? I played golf a few times in Dallas in various early summer trips and it was glove per hole sweaty as gently caress.

I'm moving to Oregon or Tahoe to retire, gently caress this poo poo.

but...at least it cools down at night up here in inland Norcal, it would be Fresno gross if it didn't.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
cascadia subduction, volcanos, wolves and sasquatch though.

somewhere like Bend, OR on the east side of the mtns owns in the summer but is shut down 6 months per year for sub 20 temps

west side like Eugene is really wet and cold for at least 5 months

Coastal Central to Southern Cal is the best you just need to be a trillionaire to live there.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 22, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
gently caress Golf in the Olympics the crooks and nazis that run the IOC make FIFA look like the Girl Scouts of America. It's not even a "team" event either just basically the Rio Open brought to you by the Zikka Virus!

I hope some tiny country like Thailand wins (BarnRat and Ariya).

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Japan in 4 years might be okay but they've got to do it as 2 person team events or even men/women combo teams or something besides a 72 hole individual event for men/women. Or I think the best idea bouncing around GolfWRX was to just copy the NCAA format.

#IMWITHRORY

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I booked a 10 on a Par 4 Saturday, good times. :suicide:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
DJE wandered off to the Glenmorangie distillery.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

mattfl posted:

So incredibly jealous!!

this! :argh: :guinness:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Sunday is clearly the best and classiest.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Where are these magical places with wide open driving ranges on real loving grass! :argh:

also: your head and body are moving way around too much watch the dude in the red hat behind you......he's got good form.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've only had time to practice the last few weekends.

I guess I like my 7-iron and driver although the others didn't appear as offline as it would appear (5 shots). Srixon z745, C-Taper Lite (s), Callaway GBB set at 10.0.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The Kooch is the only one that can currently stare down Ragnar Henrik Stenson and not feel fear. :black101:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
badass

:saddowns:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Just Euro captain Darren Clarke by himself can outdrink our entire team, their friends and their extended families. I'm pretty sure Jordan Speith still gets dizzy after 2 Coors Lites.

Good lord the Euros still trot out Sam Torrance as vice-captain - he definitely can outdrink all the USA Ryder Cup teams 2000-2016 all at once. :guinness:

If you go by "dudes that would fight with you (or you) in an alley the Euros take that as well" as nearly all of them fit that category........ only Paddy Reed, J.B. and maybe Zach checks that mark for the USA.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Shrapnig posted:

Have you seen Reed in person? He looks like a hobbit.

HOBBIT FIGHT!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
are the Trumper frat boys and Brexiters fighting in the crowds yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I could see 6, 7, 8, 9 being 37.50 but the PW, AW, SW, LW all being 35.75. I've had all my wedges 35.75 for several years and it just makes it easier for me to swap new ones in.

Longer wedges are going to be weird as hell around the greens unless they have those longer Ping wedge grips and you can choke down a bit.