Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond is a revelation. I didn't really like last year's Big Bertha or Big Bertha Alpha so I wasn't expecting to like this year's line either, but the 815 DBD feels much better. I haven't had enough time to properly numbers and dispersion to my 915 D3, but if you're in the market for a lower spinning driver, definitely give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Callaway got new ownership a few years ago. The company said it would be going in a direction but they wouldn't specify. After a few product cycles, it seems that they are taking a modified TaylorMade approach - release a bunch of products all the time, but manufacture a moderate quantity so that the market isn't flooded with supply. It seems the company is doing better, but anything would be better than before.

In related news, my bag is almost completely changed from this time last year:

More importantly, I'm trying something new with my putting. I grew up putting crosshanded with Anser 2-style heads. In recent years, my putting gone to hell, in part because I don't practice much, and I've switched between crosshanded and reverse overlap without any success. One thing that's always been true, however, is that I putt lights out with my lob wedge, so I'm committing to a heel-shafted putter and reverse overlap grip.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rory's ball flight gets me so hard: https://twitter.com/europeantour/status/556143867859173376

Omerta posted:

Irons: Adams xtd forged, steelfiber i115 hard stepped once, standard loft and length, 1 or 2 degrees upright. Swing weight starts at D0 and ends at D4.
Does the slot do anything or is it just marketing? The only slotted irons I've really hit are the Rocketbladez Tour and they felt pretty clunky.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 16, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

http://www.golfwrx.com/249677/do-taylormades-rsi-face-slots-actually-work/

I read this article a while back. Numbers are always fun.
The numbers show he lost about 5 yards on mishits. The AP2 loses 2.4 yards on 1/4" mishits and 7.6 yards on 1/2" mishits, so my conclustion is the slots don't make a real world difference: http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/team-titleist/f/7/t/23274.aspx

However, while the mishit distance loss may not be any different, I'm perfectly willing to concede that slotted irons go farther due to the trampoline effect. As I recall, Jason Day had a 16* Rocketbladez Tour made up for him that he hit unusually long.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 16, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Reporter knocked out one of Tiger's front teeth with a shoulder mounted camera.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/photo-tiger-missing-front-tooth/?cid=facebook-gc-a-tiger-missing-a-tooth-011915

And of course it was his yellow tooth. Guess he'll wind up with a perfect smile once again. :q:
Apparently that was a dead tooth. Which raises the question, why didn't he have it replaced all this time?

Playing tomorrow for the first time in close to a month, first time with my new 915 woods. Should be 55* when I tee off and 60* and mostly sunny for most of the round.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Apparently that was a dead tooth. Which raises the question, why didn't he have it replaced all this time?

Playing tomorrow for the first time in close to a month, first time with my new 915 woods. Should be 55* when I tee off and 60* and mostly sunny for most of the round.
Trip report. Ball striking wasn't great today though my short game was magic. Putting is still a shitfest.

Regarding my new 915 woods, I did hit one drive on an uphill par 5 that left me 50 yards closer to the hole than I usually am on a good shot. That's promising. I also ended up increasing the loft - previously tuned down to 7.75*, I put it back to the stock 8.5*.

I didn't get to hit the fairway woods much, but they do seem a touch longer than the 913s.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sarehu posted:

I went to Scottsdale recently and played some golf there at three different courses. You couldn't walk any of them (one would have been very practical to walk but it was Not Allowed).

What's up with the dudes in polo shirts that go up to your bag and start wiping down your clubs when you bring the cart in?
You know the stereotype of homeless people randomly washing your windshield at a red light in hopes that you'll give them some money?

This is the golf equivalent.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You know you're a golf addict when you don't dream about playing golf, you dream about equipment.

I woke up this morning and realized it was actually a dream that I went to a store, looking for a Diamana Blue to test on a launch monitor to see whether I needed more spin with my driver.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

well don't leave us hanging, how did Dream Lyman hit it?
That was the worst part. I couldn't find one to test! :gonk:

zinc68 posted:

310 with a butter cut no doubt
315 with a slight draw :smug:

(Nutted on firm fairways only)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

tminz posted:

Anyone going to the Waste Management? I went two years ago on Saturday and it was a mad house, can't imagine what it will be like this year. I think I'm gonna go early on Saturday again--try to watch some golf early on in the day and then just join the party.
With Tiger and the Super Bowl in town, I can only imagine the shitfest. :getin:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Seymour Butts posted:

standard? I've been thinking about putting on new grips and adding a couple extra wraps under them so they are just smaller than mid-size. I also want to cut about 1-1.25 inches of length from my 3-wood. I usually just choke down, but if cutting it down is going to effect the shaft too much, maybe I'll just put 2 extra wraps on the top of the grip and 3 on the bottom. It's the default rocketfuel 60 gram stiff shaft that comes with the RBZ Stage 2, if anyone knows more about torque, kickpoint, etc and how that all works.
Butt-trimming a shaft, as you're thinking about, won't affect the flex of the shaft, but you will lose a LOT of swingweight. 1/2" roughly corresponds to 3 swingweight points, so cutting 1.25" would be losing 8 swingweight points. You can replace that with lead tape, where 2g of lead tape adds 1 SW point.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Doyzer posted:

Finally ordered new new clubs today.

TaylorMade R15 Tp with a Graphite Design Tour Ad DI 70, anyone have any experience with this shaft? I have a Diamana 'ahina in my current driver.

Also picked up the Rsi Tp irons
AD DI is a mid launch, mid spin shaft whereas your current Ahina is low/low.

Very popular though since Tiger started using it a few years ago.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

Tiger is going to play in the masters! Will he withdraw to injury before he misses the cut or will he suck it up and just miss the cut like a regular?
Tiger might make the cut because the Masters field is (relatively) weak, but he definitely won't contend for the title. Too many good players playing good golf for that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

Speaking of the Masters, are we doing a dedicated SAS thread, or should we keep it in here?
I'll post one on Monday.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ironlung posted:

Where's the Masters thread?? LYMAN
So sorry: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711828

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

drowningidiot posted:

I don't watch lots of golf, much less LPGA, but I just saw Sei Young Kim chip in on the 18th to force a playoff and then hole out for eagle from 150 to win.

Insane
I watched it lived. I cheered when she chipped in to force the playoff.

In Bee Park didn't seem very happy for her.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

They already had something like this for Bay Hill last month, for free no less.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Played for the first time in 3 months. Driving was okay with some great ones and a few inexplicable. Irons were mostly pretty good, a handful of birdie putts inside 10'. Short game was pretty bad and still lack confidence in putting. :sigh:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Played with a mini-tour pro today. He said he was thinking about playing in a tournament at Cherokee Run southeast of Atlanta. I said I never wanted to play the course because it was too short.

Turns out I was thinking about a different course. This one is 7016 yds from the tips, 75.1/143. :downs:

11am tee time tomorrow is the GolfNow special for $23. Stupid doctor's appointment in the way though. Hopefully 11am Thursday is available tomorrow night.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rory, Spieth, and Jason Day are paired together for the first 2 rounds of The Players. They're being livestreamed, currently thru 7: http://pgatour.cbssports.com/live/?channel=featuredgroup

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is fitting typically supposed to happen before or after purchasing clubs? You know what, gently caress it. I'm just gonna buy the Callaway Strata Ultimates now and send them back to Amazon if the fitting pro says I need to bad enough. I need a full set of clubs. The reviews for the Strata Ultimates (and the Strata Pluses, too, for that matter) are hugely positive, and it's not like there's a huge selection of full club sets out there to choose from anyway.

This will be my first set of clubs. I know DoctaFun advises that people buy used for their first clubs, but I hate HATE HATE buying used anything, and a new set of Strata Ultimates are about the price I was expecting to spend anyway. Plus I'm gonna be using these at least 2 to 3 times per week.
Buying used golf clubs is even smarter than buying a used car. It's not like buying a used mattress.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

My first car was a used car, and it ended up being a broken piece of poo poo money pit that my family later regretted because of all the cash we lost from having to take it to the shop so many loving times, so telling me that something is "smarter than buying a used car" isn't really saying much. :v:
Don't buy a broken used car. :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

To be fair, Rickie does get disproportionate coverage for someone with 1 win.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Somewhere, Kameh just went full mast.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Left it short!!!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

Rickie's girlfriend is smoking hot, but the two of them are going to look like a god drat matching leather luggage set in twenty years.
Flaunt it while you got it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

Any of you dudes want any golf clothes for the cost of shipping? I am moving at the end of May and started cleaning out my closets.

So far I've found 3 Nike Dri-Fit shirts (XL) 3 Under Armor (XL) 1 pair of Nike pants (38x32) 1 Pair of Under Armor shorts (38 waist) - Pretty sure I have at least 3 more Nike shirts kicking around somewhere. I don't remember wearing any of this stuff. Mostly because I wear medium golf shirts from Nike and anywhere from 32-34 waist depending on brand name. I haven't been "fat" in years and it was only a short stint of being a lard rear end so these XL and 38 waist items couldn't have lasted more than 1/4 of a season. I'll take some pictures once I finish digging it all out, but I wasn't sure if any of you could wear them or not. It's either this or they go to Good Will/ Trash.
I am a fatty so they will probably fit me. Shipping to Atlanta, 30329?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

Ok, so two of the under armour shirts were basically trash. One was torn on the back that I didn't see earlier and another was pit stained to death and gross (it's hot here :( )

I haven't gone through any old boxes from before I moved last time, so I might have more, but I am not unpacking it since it's already in a box, so it can wait until June :)

I have

3 Nike XL shirts (one is straight up navy dri-fit, another is a light blue with neato designs on the sleeves and it's that neoprene like dri-fit and the 3rd is a cobalt type greyish blue with neon green on the back across the shoulders that is a tour performance dri-fit) Seems to be an amazing amount of different dri-fit materials they use.

1 Under Armour XL shirt that is a dark red - solid color with black UA logo.

1 pair of Under Armour shorts (38 waist) in light grey (Kameh dibs)

1 pair of Black Nike Dri-Fit Shorts (38 waist)

1 pair Nike Dri-Fit pants 38x30 (I normally where 32 inseam so they should be good for that also) (Mattfl dibs)

1 Pair of Walter Hagen dri-fit shorts 38 waist, grey plaid type look. (basically these http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFg3NTA=/z/UwgAAOxyBPZTfR0D/$_12.JPG)

Not sure what Lyman wanted, but, as to not be greedy with free poo poo I've marked dibbed items with names and you guys can decide who gets what. Lyman can dib whatever remaining items he would like I guess.

Shoot me an email at mlinzz at gmail.com with your address and SA username and I'll figure out what shipping is.

On another note.. found out a couple weeks ago that one of my employees husband is a PGA Pro at some course in NC and he gets discounts on whatever. She said he gets free shirts all the time from Adidas and UA that he just sells online, but recently he gave me 6 dozen brand new ProV1's as he is also sponsored by Titleist and apparently has a closet full of boxes. I am playing golf with him in a couple weeks and I will see what type of things he can hook me up with free or cheap. Maybe I'll start my own discount pro v1 sales here ;)
I'll take the light blue and cobalt grey Nike shirts. YGM.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

Nike Pants are back up for grabs. Also haven't gotten email on any other items except for 2 Nike shirts (light blue and cobalt) by Lyman.
I would also like to claim the pants if that's not asking for too much. The only golf pants I currently have were on clearance from Target. :smith:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

Doesn't matter to me. I sent you a reply email this morning on shipping stuffs
Done and done.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

Oh man, found a couple guys to play friday and what do I see in my email, $39 early morning tee times at Orange County National?? gently caress yes please!
According to Google maps, I can get a flight from Atlanta for just $88! :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I would say putter fitting is probably worth it in the grand scheme of things, but only once you have a repeatable stroke.

In other words, if you're a beginner, go to the store, try different styles (not just brands) of putters, get the one <$100 that you like most.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Glambags posted:

A buddy of mine has one of these and has been using it for the last 15 years or so.

I think I'm gonna get a fitting, its only 20 bucks so it seems worth it to me. I wasn't planning on spending $300 on a putter (maybe half that) so I figure an extra 20 won't break the bank. I've been looking at some Ping and Odyssey putters so I'm glad the last two posts have been votes of confidence. I've also looked at a couple Scotty Camerons but I don't think I need to spend that much.
A $20 putter fitting is going to be a waste of money. There's no chance they'll be doing any actual stroke analysis with cameras and lasers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

I've been crushing my driver this week after some minor tweaks to my stance and consciously reminding myself to just swing smoothly and hit the center of the face. I've driven the 300 yard second hole twice, drove the 17th hole today (330ish downhill), have had mid irons into the par 5s on my second shot, etc.

And while playing through various foursomes, I've had two different old dudes tell me I need to change my swing because I hit my drives too high and I'm losing distance... sigh.

I rarely play a real round by myself since I'd rather just play multiple balls, take extra shots trying to work the ball in different ways, etc. but with how many birdies I've been making and with almost no doubles, I'd probably be near par on my home course which is crazy. On longer and more difficult courses I'd still probably be in the 80s depending on the day but compared to where I was a year ago I'm thrilled. I'll be playing in a few scrambles at my course this summer plus the club championship and I am pretty excited.
Most amateurs don't have a high enough trajectory on their shots, old guys especially. Really though, you'd need to get on a launch monitor to be sure.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jovial Cow posted:

I've got this in the oil can finish :hfive:

Actually funny story regarding that, a couple of years ago I got a ping rosewood zb, I absolutely loved the look of the thing. It was in black nickel and sexy as hell. I was enjoying it until one day I looked down and noticed a sticker on the shaft. The sticker said the putter was tailored for a "slight arc" putting stroke. I wish I had never looked at that drat sticker because from that day on I could not putt with the loving thing. I've never seen a sticker get in someone's head so much, I was just constantly thinking of trying to mimic that stroke. It got to the point where I had to put it away and go grab the zing. I swear to you I'm saving 3-4 strokes a round just because I went back to the zing.

Maybe one of these days I'll ask my brother to rip that sticker off and give it a try again and hope I don't remember, cause it's drop dead gorgeous when you stand over it.
FWIW, the Redwood ZB should have had a sticker that said it matches a strong arc.

The Ping Zing 2 is the same.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sarehu posted:

Tips like that probably don't work so well for people whose elbows don't go fully straight like mine.
It also doesn't prevent you from overdoing it and standing too close to the ball.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Man, I've got the golf bug bad today. A couple good deals in GolfNow, but we've been pummeled by rain in Atlanta this week. More than 1" yesterday and over 1.5" on Monday/Tuesday. :sigh:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

You're telling me. I need a wetsuit to play in Houston.

Edit - Also, for you US-Open-Torture types, you should be watching the Irish Open. Cut is +4, may be higher by the end of the day.
Watching the Irish Open makes me think the courses MIGHT be okay despite the rain, even though I know it's a fool's errand to try to play today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Club list chat:

I missed out on getting a Nike Method 006 Prototype last month, the same exact putter that Rory McIlroy uses. It was a $450 limited release and sold out within like 5 minutes, assuming you could even access the site. While I'm not wedded to Rory or Nike, I do love the shape, based on the Scotty Cameron 009, a tour-only model.

The Mil-Spec Newport from like 13 years ago is the retail model with the closest head shape, and I'm currently negotiating for a 9/10 condition one for $200 shipped. There's no guarantee I'll even putt well with it, but I kinda really want it. :negative: