Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Club list chat:

I missed out on getting a Nike Method 006 Prototype last month, the same exact putter that Rory McIlroy uses. It was a $450 limited release and sold out within like 5 minutes, assuming you could even access the site. While I'm not wedded to Rory or Nike, I do love the shape, based on the Scotty Cameron 009, a tour-only model.

The Mil-Spec Newport from like 13 years ago is the retail model with the closest head shape, and I'm currently negotiating for a 9/10 condition one for $200 shipped. There's no guarantee I'll even putt well with it, but I kinda really want it. :negative:
After closer inspection, I decided the Mil-Spec was too different from the Nike 006/Cameron 009 so I ended up buying the OG Ping Dalehead. At least if I don't have any success with it, I should be able to recover most/all of my cost:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

Older Camerons were solid, the new stuff is pretty *meh* for me though.
Yeah, I think this is a good compromise. On balance, everything before the Studio Select in 2008 was good, though I didn't like the Studio Style from 2005-07.

The specific things I like about the 009 are the parallel shoulder/rounded bumper combination. Nike did just release a retail version of the Rory 006 Proto last month, but I think it looks like poo poo and there will be plenty on the used shelves in about 6 months:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sataere posted:

I've really started to hate my current putter. I don't know what has happened to what was once the strongest part of my game, but I'm finding myself spending half my strokes on the green. I've been trying out putters at Golfsmith, and the one that feels fantastic is the Ping Karsten Anser 2. While I could just drop the $150 at Golfsmith, I'd rather just go on EBay. My only concern is, is there something specifically I should be looking for when getting this club? Would the model year be a significant difference in the club? Because the Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Putter Right 35" Black Dot looks really sleek. Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am pretty golf retarded.
The Karsten Anser 2 (left) looks slightly different than the Karsten 1959 Anser 2 (right), specifically in the shoulders, but otherwise they'll be extremely similar.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

On a related note, does anyone have an extra putter headcover that will fit the Ping Anser? I'll pay for shipping, of course.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If anyone is in the market for Phil Mickelson's putter... looking to get $100 shipped.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Toledo Country Club. Really nice place that they keep in great shape. Not much up and down, and 2 holes are up against a major roadway, but the last 3 holes run alongside the Maumee River and look spectacular. Should be perfect for taking out prospects and clients to have a good time, but not get beat up too hard by the course. Easily walkable if you want. I've played it quite a few times as a guest and finally decided to jump. Only about 10 minutes from my house and barely 15 from work.
Totally gonna hit you up for a round if I'm in the area.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Damnit, I'll have to buy that PT9 putter now now because it looks sweet :)
It's a great putter. I had to abandon mine, but it definitely sets up great.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Omerta posted:

Played Bobby Jones yesterday and shot 64. It's a par 70, 6000 yard course, so doesn't really count for ~shooting in the 60s~, but it felt good and made me less angsty about my offense.
LOL Bobby Jones is a goat track. But it has a couple decent holes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm making some swing changes myself, namely speeding up my upper body on the downswing. I'm going to have a 2 way miss for a while, but it's better in the long run. I played 18 yesterday and on the last 2 holes, striped a 4 iron and 3 iron, respectively, inside 5 feet.

Putting is still sketchy with the new/old Ping. I seriously don't understand how my stroke with a putter is like a 30 handicap but my stroke with a lob wedge is like a scratch player.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Booked a 12:50pm tee time tomorrow at a 75.1/143, 7016 yard course for $16 on Golf Now. :woop:

But fees tacked on another $4.61. And it'll be 95*F. :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ribsauce posted:

If super game improvement irons help as much as changing drivers I am buying some very soon. Does anyone use "super game improvement" irons? I think the mats helped my irons last time because I had a lot of mishits today. Lesson learned, grass driving range only. Of course, it was like 100 degrees and I was in the dead sun, so that did not help.
SGI irons can help a mediocre shot turn out okay, but a bad shot will always be a bad shot. The bigger concern is that they are designed with a lot of offset, wide soles, and strong lofts and so may promote less than great habits.

I would say standard game improvement irons are probably worth it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: U. S. Open thread is up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726052 :siren:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Booked a 12:50pm tee time tomorrow at a 75.1/143, 7016 yard course for $16 on Golf Now. :woop:

But fees tacked on another $4.61. And it'll be 95*F. :negative:
We finished in 3 hours, course was pretty open until the 16th, so heat stroke avoided.

Putting still sucks, still striping my long irons. I seem to be hitting them longer too. Carried a 4 iron 215 yards on a par 3 today. I don't expect to play until next month, so I guess I just have to spend time at home working on my putter stroke.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As long as the length and lie are relatively similar and the shafts are close in flex across the sets, you'll be fine. Offset should be similar for those 2 sets.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Any of you play with a push cart? I don't walk much since almost all the courses around here are cart-only, but it seems like it'd be a smart investment for my long-term back health if I can find a good model on the cheap.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Summit posted:

Chipping is weird. It seems like every person I ask has their own way of doing it. So far I've heard:

- punch out with a short chop (works surprisingly well)
- use a high loft club and twist it for even more loft to lift it out with tons of back spin (interesting but hard to get the right power with different lengths of grass, seems to take the most feel)
- take a pitching wedge and do almost a putting stroke (straightforward but I seem to gently caress it up the most)
- load the weight on your front foot, get hands forward, take a short stroke (had reasonable amounts of success, always seem to hit it a bit hard though)

I'm reluctant to practice any of these too much because I hate practicing blindly. Who's a good resource for chipping basics? Just need a good intro before I invest a ton of time at the chipping green.
Those are all different "short game shots", but there's only 1 thing we call "chipping":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4DevROGzXM

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Summit posted:

Interesting. I asked a few of my buddies and even some people around the putting green who were chipping and they were showing me their chipping, not short game. That said they are obviously not pro golfers and I'm not about to argue with Phil on this one. All of the pro stuff I've seen so far has been that fixed wrist technique so I'll stick to that for sure.

It was interesting how different every person I asked was doing it. These were all just off the green style chips too.
Chipping is the most basic short game shot. There's a bunch of other videos on Youtube where Phil talks about other short game shots, from the pitch to the flop and so on.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

3 rounds in a row at 104. Consistency! I really need to get better at par 3s though because holy poo poo shooting 8 on them as often as I do is not helpful. Im in the middle of trying a new putting grip too so hopefully that starts shaving off strokes once I get used to it.
As if the U.S. Open needed to remind us, drive for show, putt for dough.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

Rory is done for the open. Ruptured tendon in his ankle.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/33407734
The grand slam is on! :getin:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Oh man that's brutal :smith:

Also oh my god oh my god oh my god you guys

YOU GUYS!

THURSDAY! SCOTLAND. IT HAPPENS.

:f5:
The Scottish Open starts Thursday. The Open is next week!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

Lately I've been having some problems with my 4 Hybrid, normally one of my favorite clubs. I marked a few balls with a Dry Erase marker (this leaves a nice mark on the club) and I've hitting it off the toe. I tried moving the ball closer to my body, and it didn't help.

Any ideas?
You're probably coming over the top and/or casting. Search YouTube for drills to work on it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

corn in the fridge posted:

Oh cool it seems people actually play golf in this thread. I have just started to pick the game up and today I will be out playing my third ever round. Any tips for beginners?? 🐣
When you've hit double the par on a hole, pick up and move on to the next hole.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oh hey, the US Women's Open is now. Thu/Fri 2-7pm on Fox Sports 1 and Sat/Sun 2:30pm-7pm on Fox.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I love how that writer treats it like something weird when that's a fairly common drill.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

British Open thread is up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730868

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

shyduck posted:

Girlfriend won right to buy Masters tickets... but for Monday only :negative:

Would it even be worth traveling from Philly to go? I'm thinking not, but I really had my hopes up for a second
I live in Atlanta...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah, I hit driver whenever possible. Laying up is for pussies. :smugdog:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Edit

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ironlung posted:

True, gonna edit a bunch of swings together and post
It'd be best if you could post the actual videos. Just upload to Youtube or something.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

My FJ Superlites are wearing out, and I'd like to have a pair of really light walking shoes for better days. Something like another pair of Superlites, or the old M Projects, without softspikes, just the nubs. Suggestions?

E: To elaborate, I don't need them to be waterproof or anything, just really really light for walking on dry days.
The Adidas Boost look really badass.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Josh Lyman, can you put together a PGA Championship thread around Saturday/Sunday so I can just dump the golf ball bet info in one of the first posts? I don't think I should make a separate thread for it.
Ya I'll have it up.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

I finally got a rangefinder, the Bushnell Tour V3 :science: WITH JOLT TECHNOLOGY:science:

It's apparently supposed to own a bunch and even take slope into account.

E: Oh, no that is the "SLOPE EDITION", which this is not. I think that version isn't USGA legal or something.
I've got the same rangefinder and love it. I turn the Jolt off to conserve battery though.

There's something uncouth to me about using one with slope.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Josh Lyman, can you put together a PGA Championship thread around Saturday/Sunday so I can just dump the golf ball bet info in one of the first posts? I don't think I should make a separate thread for it.
:siren: PGA Championship thread is up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735606 :siren:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Has anyone ever used a Full Swing simulator? I'm considering spending an hour or two on one in my area once my new wedges arrive to see what my numbers look like. But I'm not sure how accurate they are compared to like a Trackman, or if they even have the option to be used like that rather than playing an actual round on one of the sim courses.
My understanding is that Trackman is the only thing that can properly calculate spin.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I need you guys to talk me out of spending $50 on a golf bag I don't need. I have a 1st gen Ping Hoofer. It's a little long in the tooth, but I play once/max twice a month, so it's still perfectly functional. Importantly, it's the only thing I still have from my competitive golf days.

Arguably the best bag of all time is the Hoofer 2, which slightly modified the pocket design compared to mine. I can get one from a local guy for $50, but it has the embroidered name of someone who played at Georgia Tech the same time as Matt Kuchar. It is, however, in fantastic shape.

I feel like, if I'm going to get a new golf bag, I should get an actual new golf bag, something with a modern design made with modern fabrics, though I think the weight of the 2015 Hoofer isn't really lighter than the old ones. Otherwise, sticking with my current bag has the dual benefit of not spending money and nostalgia.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 16, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Essential posted:

That's it, thanks!

Any used it and have an opinion/review?
If you're going to use internet instruction, at least get it for free on YouTube.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Holy poo poo Tiger :stare:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For the longest time, I've hated the shaft in my 3 wood, a RIP Alpha 80X. It always felt dead to me. I was planning on reshafting it, but my friend hit it so well that he bought it. I was budgeting about $50 for the reshaft, and I was able to order a replacement for $50 than he paid me. :dance:

New(ish) 3 wood is Titleist 915F 15* w/Aldila Rogue Black 80X. I ordered it with a lighter sole weight to swap with my driver since I plan on extending my driver 1/2".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gonna tip my driver 1/2" and extend it to 45.5" at home. Wish my luck. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Gonna tip my driver 1/2" and extend it to 45.5" at home. Wish my luck. :ohdear:
Welp, I overheated the adapter attempting to get out the old epoxy residue so it developed a bit of a green sheen.

I've had the shaft/adapter for right around 4 years now, so I guess anodized aluminum is bound show some wear. Go go 300 yard drives!