Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Loan Dusty Road posted:

This makes me take safer shots than any $20 ball would.

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-3-piece-urethane-cover-golf-ball%2c-2-dozen.product.100406428.html

$30/24 balls shipped still isn't terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

How did you not know this? They set GolfWRX on fire a couple years ago

I'm pretty sure those were the old 4 piece ball, that they got sued and had to stop making or something. The 3 piece aren't as nice, but still good for the price.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I played my best 9 ever on Friday with a 51. I’m pretty happy with that for having started playing in August. Definitely need more short game practice, but rocketing off 4 irons for what feels like forever is much more fun.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Had to leave a course yesterday because 1h15m after teeing off, I still hadn’t started hole #4

:negative:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AndrewP posted:

Scored a 105 today. The quest to break 100 continues. :cry:

1 par, 7 bogies, 4 doubles, 5 triples, and 1 quad (disastrous par 3 bunker adventure)

Started with two missed birdies for par, ended up with a 108. I feel like if i can not explode on 2-3 holes i'll break 100.

Playing Forest Dunes (https://www.forestdunesgolf.com) on Tuesday for my brother's birthday, and I'll be content to be under 120 there, haha.

xsf421 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 27, 2020

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Summit posted:

I’ve been using USwing (formerly SwingxSwing) and I like it a lot. It has the interface that seemed cleanest to me. It has shot tracking. Only caveat is it runs a lottttt better when you’re a subscriber. The ad load for the free version slows it down an unacceptable amount. This seems to be generally true of any ad supported golf tracker.

I got some Arccos sensors recently from their completion program (own a cobra club with a sensor, get the rest for free). I'll be trying them out on Monday, but it's kind of weird that they don't have any sort of club tracking for the driving range.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

If you know a veteran/first responder, underarmor offers a 40% discount though id.me. Brings their stuff down closer to normal prices.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

BCRock posted:

I haven't hit the newest line of PXG woods, but all of the previous ones have been total garbage.

Their irons, however, feel excellent and if the price was competitive with Mizuno/Srixon/Titlist/etc, I'd definitely consider actually buying them.

If I'm ever good enough to upgrade from my M4 irons (I won't be), the veteran pricing on the PXG irons for a custom fit makes it super tempting.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

WITB for my terrible rear end (handicap in the low 30s):

Cobra F9 driver with a HZRDUS smoke black stiff shaft
Cobra F9 3/5 woods both with Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7 stiff shafts (both +1.5* lofted)
4-AW TaylorMade M4 with whatever the standard steel regular shaft of the day was
52/56 Bombtech wedges
Some random MacGregor blade putter I found for $4.99 at play it again sports

The putter and wedges are the only things I'm not super thrilled with, but they work well enough for now until I know more of what I want. I've only been playing for slightly over a year now and still figuring out what I like.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Daric posted:

What's the weather like where you are in that time? In Houston, that'd be a steal. In Michigan, not so much.

For me, I'd kill to be able to play a Par 3 course every day for essentially free.

The par 3 course 2 miles from my house has a $180 season pass, I’m super tempted to do that and play 3-4 days a week before work next year.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Any recommendations for soft spike waterproof shoes for someone who only walks the course? I love my Nike Roshe Gs, but they just sop up the water. I'm going to be playing a lot of early morning (dewy) rounds in the spring and could definitely use something a bit more waterproof.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

DJExile posted:

You want soft spike as in removable or as in the kinda molded sole?

Removable. My currents are “spikeless” and they slide too much on damp grass.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Black Hole Bowser posted:

I need some advice on equipment. I just started to get into golf last year, taking a few lessons in the fall. Still really in total beginner territory, like 100-105ish over 18 holes.

I've been playing 2 years and I still shoot in that range :v:

Package set would almost certainly not be worth it. I don't know how their shipping to Canada is, but sites like globalgolf.com and callaway preowned have great deals on used clubs. I started with a packaged/hand me down set, and I've upgraded the clubs that I felt would help me the most, but did more piecemeal upgrades. That meant iron set -> 3w -> putter -> driver. Between the used sites and clearance sales, you can probably put something very decent together over the course of the season.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

I've worn a ton of different brands of golf shoes but I've found that the Nike offerings fit and feel the truest to their sneaker counterparts. I have Air Max 1s and 97s in the rotation currently.

Nike roshe G (spikeless) and roshe G (tour) checking in. Just don't be a dumbass like me and get the white ones if you play in a constantly wet course.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

RCarr posted:

I love lost every head cover I’ve ever had within a round or two so I’ve given up trying to keep my clubs perfect.

I just buy used clubs that already have the bag chatter, saves me some effort.

I’ve been waiting on my new 919 forged for a week, it’s the worst.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Broke 100 for the first time today with a flat 90. All my practice on the par 3 course is really paying dividends with my irons. Time to get grinding on putting so I can not have 40 putts on 18 holes!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Has anyone ever volunteered at a tournament? I live like 10 miles from Congressional, thinking of volunteering for next year's Women's PGA. The idea of paying $130 in order to volunteer seems strange though.

I work for Rocket Mortgage, they sent out an email blast because they didn't have enough volunteers for the tournament on the 4th. They had to send out a second email to clarify that they're making employees pay $75 to volunteer at the company's own golf tournament.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Mederlock posted:

My question for you folks is, is a full bag club fitting really worth the money? I'm 6'2"+ and I'm using standard length clubs, but find I'm regularly just barely topping/blading my clubs. Not sure if it's a technique thing or a club thing(or both). My instructor mentioned something about it, but I'm just not sure. The money isn't a huge factor, but I don't want to drop it if it's only a minor improvement compared to what I'd see from that money's worth of lessons.

So you have a fairly large shop to get a lesson from? My playing partner just went through this. He booked a lesson at a more expensive place with a bigger demo club selection and got to try out what the instructor wanted (+1 inch).

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

I use 18 birdies and like it. It let's you track shitloads of stats if you really want to get into the weeds with the numbers.

The only real downside is the 50 loving pages of "Hey try the premium" ads they show everytime you're about to start a round. My buddy has the premium, and apart from the AI swing trainer thing and the "plays like" distances, it doesn't really seem to give much of a benefit.

I tried it and ended up sticking with grint because of how bad the “please give us money” prompts were.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Petey posted:

Almost hit my bogey-golf goal today. Played poorly on the front 9 but was lights out (by my standards) on the back. On 18, a par 5 with a slight dog leg, I needed to birdie to be 18+ / break 90, and absolutely tagged my drive. If it had been 5 feet further to the right, it would have been ~300 in the fairway; as it was, hit a tree and bounced left into the river. Ended up saving bogey but that still put me at 91/+20.

Had my short game and putter (1.78) today, but not anything else consistently until the last 5 holes (4 pars, bogey) on an unforgiving course, so definitely feel like I can make it soon.

I shot a personal best of 90 (+19) yesterday but had 38 putts. At least I know what to practice now.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Petey posted:

it's interesting, if you look at the reviews on their website all of them are either 4/5 stars or 1 star. I wonder if they have QA issues.

I already pay $99 a year for golfshot and it looks like Arccos could do a lot of what it does but more accurately.

My only issue with arccos was it constantly missing shots. If you’re not checking your phone after every shot, you can go 3-4 holes without it picking up anything.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

torgeaux posted:

I just ordered a PXG third gen 3i. I will hit it well for one round, ok for three rounds, badly thereafter and then it will go into the bag for odd/not part of a set clubs. That is all.

I picked up a cheap honma tw-x forged 3 iron for like $60 on eBay and it’s been absolutely amazing. 235 down the middle of the fairway, super useful on days when my driver swing abandons me.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

So, I have a gap between my driver (9.5*) and my 4 iron (24*) that needs filling. What would you all suggest? I could do 3-5 woods I suppose, but hybrids are now a thing, perhaps I should consider these as well? Maybe catch something around 13-15* and 20-22*? So like a 4 wood and 5 hybrid?

2 Iron.

(don't do this)

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Petey posted:

Actually, I wanted to ask about this. I'm having a bear of a time hitting my G410 3wd off the deck, and it's my primary missing gap clubwise, I think. I'm very consistent and confident with my 4iron in the 220 range, but if there's a longer recovery shot, or a tough hole where I don't trust my driver off the tee, I would like to have something a bit longer.

I never liked the hybrids in my old set, but I see ping has some "crossover" G425s at the 3iron and 2iron level. Does anyone have any experience with these? I read good reviews but am unsure.

I picked up one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/373524512753 which is basically just a Honma clone of a P790 18* driving iron. I'm in absolute love with it, especially for $85 shipped. There's a few different shaft options in other listings from the seller for the same price.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Weedle posted:

i always walk but goddamn the oklahoma summers can be rough. i played a round a couple of weeks ago where by the time i got to the 18th i was completely soaked with sweat and just going like "gaahhhh... unnnghhh...." *hits absolutely terrible shot* "fffnnnnnggghhhhhh"

speaking of fitness, what are some good low-intensity workouts to help my "golf muscles"? golf is the only physically strenuous hobby i have picked up in like the past decade and my body is mad at me

I primarily walk, aside from the dead peak of summer, but I’m in Detroit and the peak of summer is only ~95*F. Doing yoga 3-4 times a week helped my golf game more than lifting weights and cardio did, being flexible lets you put more into the swing without working any harder.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

canadianclassic posted:

hmm that's a good point I suppose. Probably need an actual club fitter to achieve that? I live in a remote location and was eyeing up some used G400s for a very reasonable price (online order so wouldn't be able to try first).

I'm not into it enough to spend 1200+ on a brand new set I don't think, but maybe that's the way to go if fit is the most important aspect

The other thing to consider is what kind of golfer you want to be. Sure you might save 3 strokes a round dropping a bunch of cash on the G400s, but if your goal is to go out with friends, drink a bunch and have fun, does it matter?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Callaway Preowned is another major one: https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/putters/

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

I would kill a man to have a handicap less than 20

As weird as his content is sometimes, the golfsidekick youtube guy did wonders for my mental game this past summer. I went from averaging ~115 on 18 holes to having half a dozen rounds in the low 90s, just changing the way I approached shots.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

mattfl posted:

I didn’t really need new golf shoes but it wasn’t too bad a wait to get a pair of these this morning.

These look fantastic, I just wish they'd make them with soft spikes instead of spikeless.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

dangling pointer posted:

That guy was an rear end. Use whatever, no one cares.
HOWEVER, I will mentally pass judgement on anyone who has a staff bag.

I will also always make fun of my dad for doing one brand all the way through his bag, including the brand name on the bag. I don't care of anyone else does it, but his ego needs to be kept in check.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

My buddy's bag is like this. Extra bad is that his bag and pushcart are also color-matched to his black and neon green Callaway Epic driver cover.

He looks like such a doofus, luckily for him he's actually a decent golfer.

This is what his bag was this time last year, now he’s full titleist. Swapped his woods, irons, wedges, and putter for titleist stuff despite playing well with his callaway stuff. He’s a 66 year old “single digit handicap” that shoots 90ish when he plays with me or my brother.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I'm flying down to Houston for a long weekend to escape the Detroit winter. I get to play GC of Houston, Tour 18, and Longwood GC. Even the mid 50s there is going to be heaven after waking up to 1*F this morning.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Daric posted:

You may already have everything lined up but if this was my trip, I’d 100% drop Longwood and play Gus Wortham instead. Longwood is in decent shape right now but Gus is secretly the best course in the city. People will say it’s Memorial but they’re wrong.

Edit: I live in Tomball and have a membership at Tomball CC (calling it a country club is definitely a stretch though) but if I lived closer into town I’d play Gus every week.

Playing Longwood because it's free (my dad works as a ranger there). It's the last one of the trip, and he wants me to see it.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Daric posted:

Ah gotcha, well then have at it. It's in the neighborhood next to mine and I use their driving range a lot. It's certainly better than it's been but, as I'm sure your dad can attest, the freeze hit them pretty hard and they were already set to sell off one of the 9s before that even happened.

I got him to swap it for Wortham, he admitted Longwood probably isn't worth our time even for free.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Daric posted:

Awesome! You'll love it. It's one of the very few courses in Houston that has some actual movement, it's got a great history (it's the oldest continuously operating course in Texas and there's a tunnel off the 12th hole that connects to Howard Hughes's old house that he'd use to get to the course without anyone seeing), and it's in amazing shape right now.

Let me know what you thought afterwards.

Update two days in, tour 18 was neat as hell. Gc of Houston we left 5 hours into the round on the 14th tee.

Gus at 8am tomorrow unless we get rained out.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Daric posted:

Hope you got to play Gus before it started raining yesterday

I did not. Tour 18 was pretty great, shot 95 (21 handicap). I loved the bit of GC of Houston I got to play, but it was hard to stay warmed up and in rhythm at 20-30 minutes per hole. I'll be back next winter to play a few other courses, and likely Tour 18 again.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Kirios posted:

Uh, wow...Arccos is embarrassingly better on iOS. The interface is significantly improved and snappier and the Watch side is on a completely different level. The shot tracking on the Apple Watch didn't miss a single shot. It was incredible.

Guess I'm moving to iOS. I don't love a ton about the OS but I can't deny how much easier it makes my golf life.

I might end up trying them again if this is true. I loved it when it worked with my s8, but it missed shots every single hole. I’ve since switched to iPhone + watch.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

ChiTownEddie posted:

How do you all figure out your club distances when starting? Do I just use approximate distances at the range (like the green flag is 150y and I can hit my 7i thereish)? Book a lot of simulator time? Get one of those Arccos type systems and just start playing to collect data (or, haha, just start playing and keep notes)?

Blindly assume you hit the same distance as tour pros, and when you come up short say “must not have gotten all of that one.”

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

ChiTownEddie posted:

Huh, 5i is my worst club... A hybrid is that much easier to hit normally?

Long irons are pretty reliant on a higher swing speed. Hybrids are just some sort of witchcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Played my first 9 holes with my new (to me) srixon z785s. Even as a 20 handicap, they feel amazing. Shot a net par on a very, very wet course.