Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Carth Dookie posted:

And thus, my celibacy has been assured.

Thanks dad for the cool kit.

I know next to nothing about golf. Dad handed down his clubs because he can't play anymore. I know his habit is to spend money on his toys so I assume most of it is decent, where's it fall on the kit envy spectrum?

I know the odyssey 2 ball putter is pretty good, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Oodles posted:

I’m pretty sure I recognise your name and av from the Eve thread. Spreadsheets and golf go hand in hand.

I haven't played EVE in years. It's both cool and kinda embarrassing to be recognized. But yeah I'm surprised I didn't make the connection til now.

Urethane posted:

Those are great, more or less top of the line from 15-20 years ago and the wedge and putter are still offered now.

As someone said to me at the start of last season, re-grip em and rip em!

Neat. I'm definitely channeling maximum Bogey Lowenstein energy.

I took them to the driving range the other day. Hit about 80 balls. About 3 150m drives, about 3ish 125m hits with the hybrids, maybe 4 decent iron hits and one surprisingly straight cracker at about 100m with the 9 iron. All the rest ended up way left or right. There was one absolutely great feeling drive that I never saw come down so that one must have been whacked so hard I sent it straight to heaven. :smuggo:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Back down to the range today to practice with a bunch of different clubs I intend to use when I'm ready to have a crack at a course.

Cold and with a signifcant headwind made for very different conditions to what I'd tried before. It was wet from a bit of sprinkling rain and noisier from the extra attendance. Made it harder to concentrate than on previous visits. Despite that - significant progress. I only whiffed one swing where I missed the ball entirely. At least all the others ended SOMEWHERE down range. I tracked my shots taken, and about 50% of them were mostly straight (straight being - my guess on whether the shot would this land on a decent fairway) I noted down all of my shots and made special note of ones I thought felt good or were particularly straight and got decent height.

According to my notes, the following shots were pretty drat good IMO (these were the ones that felt the best to hit and went the straightest):

with the 58 degree titelist wedge - a 50m shot and 60m shot with a nice high apex.

two 60m shots and a 70m with the gap wedge.

two 60m shots and a 75m with the pitching wedge. Overall consistency was better than with the gap wedge too.

apparently I did better with the 8 iron than I thought, with 4 good shots at 75m, one at 8, and one corker at 100m.

last was the hybrid 4 - only a couple of good ones, one at 110m, and one stunner at 140m.

I'll not discuss the fate of the other 110 balls :v:

actully it wasn't that bad, in total about 40 balls (including the ones above) out of 125 were decent straight shots of good (to me) distance.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Did my first full 18 holes today. Shot 91.

it was a Par 3 course

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Question for you all:

What app (if any exists) would you recommend as a phone based option to assess my swing? Basically I want to record myself on my phone, and have the club speed and trajectory captured. If it can also estimate ball range after a hit that would be cool too.

What do you guys use?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Launch monitor. That might be the terminology I was missing.

I asked about phone apps because this app at least suggests it can do something similar?

https://www.shottracerapp.com/android

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ah yeah it does seem to be a bit feature light.

There does seem to be one that's android compatible called GolfTrak which appears to have an android version now. I read about it here:

https://golfstead.com/best-golf-launch-monitor-apps

edit:

ahh turns out its not available on android yet. :smith:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

On the plus side;

Back to my par 3 course after work for 9 holes. First time I landed on the green on the first shot. First par hole (but was robbed of first birdie) and managed a second par later in the round. PB'd at 40.

Then went to the driving range after and ripped a bunch of really good shots in a row. Not a bad day considering I had to talk myself into going in the first place. :unsmith:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

A solid weekend of golf. 18 holes on Saturday and 9 Sunday plus 100 balls down the range. Quite a lot of exercise by my extremely lazy standards. I haven't done this much consistent exercise in years and I'm pleased to see some excess flab disappearing.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Played a round of golf with a pickup group of randoms at the course for the first time. Couple of old euro dudes. It was certainly an interesting experience. They were polite enough to ooh/ahh when I whipped a good clean tee shot. One guy could hardly swing his body and the other had full blown parkinsons hand tremors and barely stand and despite the absolute ugliest form I've ever seen in my life they still hit workable shots and kicked my 40 year junior rear end. I definitely learned I'm not as good of a putter as I thought I am.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

January hangover and $2k in car bills means I'm going to be using Dad's hand me downs for a lot longer than I'd like.

I may have to bite the bullet and update the putter though. The more I use it the more uncomfortable it gets.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Anyone else find Brian Harman irritating to watch?

JUST FUCKIN HOLD STILL AND HIT THE THING. GODDD! :rant:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

What's this threads pick as the most forgiving driver from last year? Just noticing an uptick in second hand ads from people buying this year's latest and greatest and this might be the better way to upgrade my 20yo driver

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

mattfl posted:

Ping 430 Max without a question.

xsf421 posted:

This, there’s no debate.

Noted and quoted to remind me later.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The hell kind of putter is Kawamura using in the desert classic? Looks like one straight off the mini golf rental rack.

Edit: also I really hope Harmon doesn't make the cut.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 19, 2024

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kawamura using a bullseye putter according to commentators. Brave.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

wait you telling me that a PGA event winner gets none of the prize money if he's got an (A) next to his name?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Weird to me, but whatever

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Douchebag posted:

I shot my worst round in probably a decade today. 108. 6 penalties, 6 sand shots, 40 putts, I was a loving disaster. I have no answers other than to just get back out there and play another round soon because my confidence is shot to hell.

If it makes you feel any better, I dream of a round this good.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tony Finau just straight up looks too big for golf.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Also gat drat does Torrey Pines break people. Watching a bunch of the best players in the world walk off the 18th grim faced or on the edge of crying. :dogstare:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Got really stoned and theorized the most evil golf course holes possible.

Decided the first one would be "the jaws of hell"

200 yard Par 3 uphill to a plateau so the green can't be seen from the tee. Big sawtooth open jaw shaped bunker all the way to the upper lip filled with the reddest sand possible. Bunker height to be at least 10m.

The green slopes away from the tee so without sufficient backspin it will likely roll down the back slope and off into the OTHER bunker, filled with the blackest tar sand possible. This bunker would obviously be nicknamed the devils crack.

I also think hedge mazes are an underutilized feature of golf courses. Wanna see a fairway hazard of hedges that spells out "gently caress YOU" when viewed from above.

Live cobras in the holes under the flag so if you flag out you maybe release a cobra.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 28, 2024

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

never heard of one but its theoretically possible:

plenty of games have terrain building tools and construction elements that would make it easy as hell and ball physics is ball physics so yeah. next big golf game idea sorted.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

One day I'll birdie a hole.

:unsmith:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

weed enabled GAS has resulted in the impulse purchase of a Wilson Staff blade putter for about $90USD for a soft milled faced putter which felt like a steal price. As well as a clearance but new PXG GEN4 0811 XF driver at about 70% off retail, or about what a well used second hand one goes for.

Guess I'll know if I actually got a good deal when I next hit the course. Definitely curious to find out if I prefer a blade putter like I THINK I liked as a kid messing about with his dad's clubs, and also curious to compare a modern driver to a 25 year old goldie.

I'll probably play worse than if I used my dad's 25 year old driver and putter

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 12, 2024

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Putter turned up today.

Not bad for $125 AUD. The finishing on it is excellent. Feels good pushing balls around the living room, looking forward to the course this arvo.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ChiTownEddie posted:

I LOVE my Wilson putter to be honest. They are such a great value too. Hope it works out for you!

PXG driver turned up unexpectedly today as well. So now I have a choice - Par 3 for putt tests, or driving range to compare it to my old one.

Decisions decisions.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

PIctures against my dad's old Taylormade driver:

Curious to see the difference. Might hit the driving range today.

edit:

I am a simple man. Big stick go whack, durr hurr durr

It'll be the driving range today and putting another time.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 14, 2024

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kirios posted:

Hahahaha. I literally game the same putter! It's a fantastic putter - enjoy!

:hfive:

edit: looking again and holy poo poo do I need to vacuum my carpet. Yikes.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Range results are in:

I'd say the PXG is probably better for me. I wasn't hitting any further, but there was noticeably less horrible slicing with the PXG and in general my crappier hits didn't seem to get punished as much.

Of course I'm sure that'll all disappear and it'll be the usual slice central as soon as I hit a real course.

Since I had the time I hit the par 3 nearby to check out the putter. Results much more definitive there. Single putt the first hole I tried it on and PB'd the back 9 I was playing on.

Pretty good day of golf all things considered.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

So I went to my local golf shop to buy a headcover for my PXG driver (because I didn't read the sales ad properly that had stated no headcover was included).

I think it looks pretty good:

But it bought a few friends home with it that I hadn't expected:

:cripes: I have impulse control issues.

I couldn't help it. It was the first time I got to try an indoor driving range and I loved them from the first hit.

Tour Edge Exotics E723 (3 hybrid 19 deg) and C723 (4 hybrid 21 deg).

E 723:

C 723:

C 723 4 hybrid compared to my dad's old Wilson 4 hybrid:

I honestly didn't stand a chance. Feel alone they're just so much nicer than the old hybrids and from the first shot, consistent and I was able to diagnose and dial in very quickly.

Again I'm sure all that will abandon me the first time I hit the course but for now I am properly wowed.

Give them a try if you get the chance. Or don't. You'll probably buy them.

EDIT:

Guitar I've been trying to sell for months just found a buyer who turned up with cash, cancelling out my bad impulse golf club purchase: AHAHAHAHAHAHA NEVER PUNISHED

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 17, 2024

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Caught up with an uncle of mine (dad's older bro) and he decided to pass on his clubs to me same as my dad did.

So.

Friendship ended with Wilson, New best friend is Titleist:

3 iron to Sand Wedge Titleist 882 OS irons on graphite shafts. (Dad's Wilsons/wedges left, Uncle's driver and titleists on the right)

Also a similarly vintage driver to my dads:

Of course I got them today, AFTER I'd finished up my first time at a virtual driving range, so I'll have to go back another time to try out the titleists.

I had quite a fun time at the virtual range today. the results were a damning indictment of my golfing abilities, but despite that I still managed to Par the Par 5 14th hole of the St Andrew's Old Course which I was mighty chuffed with.

At least now I know where I can camp out in winter.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Well poo poo going to have to tune in.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Gotta win lotto so I can buy one of those nutso robotic golf sims with the different surfaces and tilting tee box for different lie simulations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

:hellyeah:

Got my first ever birdie today. Par 3 course tho. 60m lobbed shot into the green and a basic 3 footer to sink it.

Took me about 2.5 months from when I first played golf to get my first birdie.

I jumped and hooted like a fool when it happened. It was somewhat bittersweet because I lipped out an earlier birdie chance that same round on a 125m hole which would have been far more impressive for a first birdie, but beggars can't be choosers.

Pretty clear my uncle's irons suit me better.

Edit

Watching the final round. Holy crap Hideki woke up and chose violence that morning. That hit into the green at the 15th... :kstare:

16... :kstare: :kstare:

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 19, 2024

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Went back to the simulator after work today to try out some of the courses now that I have some idea of how the software works. So I played TPC sawgrass.

Made the island on the 17th on the first try and felt pretty smug about it, honestly.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

GEMorris posted:

I have GAS and am a tinkerer at heart but I refuse to look at putters because that is an acquisition syndrome I simply can not afford.

Rocking a Yes! Gina blade for as long as I can hold out.

Late night online golf shopping has caused some dents over the last few weeks. I can't not buy clearance items. It's a problem.

PXG 0811X driver
Wilson Infinite Putter
and now a Cobra Aerojet 3 wood

At least I got those heavily discounted.

I'm staying away from putters because every time I touch an oddessy blade AI one it feels great and I don't wanna spend $750 on a single club. I'll never touch a Scotty Cameron or LAB or those Bettinardi or whatever. I'm better off not knowing what I'm missing.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

mattfl posted:

Where are you shopping that those putters are $750?

:australia:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My excess guitar sold today so I guess I'm going to turn the money into excess golf clubs soon. :v:

I'm thinking of getting some new irons. I'm curious to see how much has changed since my dad/uncles early 2000s stuff.

I briefly considered a set of Takomos before discovering that I could get some forge tec cobras for not much more and with the chance to actually try before I buy. I'm going to try some mizunos and Titleist and maybe even the TaylorMade p790s to compare against the cobras. Hoping I like the cobras the best since they're the cheapest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

iNteg posted:

are you looking at the Forge Tec, or the Forge Tec X irons?

I'll probably try both