Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
Lyman, What shaft do you have now?

It is time for me to re-load my bag with Taylor Made equipment but we don't have a fitting cart at my course. Hopefully the fitting shaft charts treat me well. I am gonna miss my R9 TP B stamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

tminz posted:

Anyone going to the Waste Management? I went two years ago on Saturday and it was a mad house, can't imagine what it will be like this year. I think I'm gonna go early on Saturday again--try to watch some golf early on in the day and then just join the party.

Wish I could, I grew up on that course when I was a kid (mostly played the Champions/Desert course next door). I always like to hang out left of #1 green where the players walked off in the mornings. Back in the day got a golf ball from Tommy Armour III.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

BCRock posted:

Unless you have an unusually talented fitter at your GS/GG, which is almost assuredly not the case, then you should absolutely find someone who actually knows what they're doing when it comes to fitting you for clubs. Find some online reviews for fitters in your area, ask around on golfwrx, etc.

A proper fitting for your entire bag will take multiple hours and usually more than one visit to get all of the lie angles set correctly.

Good luck!

All good points. Also helps to have narrowed down the brand of clubs you want to get somewhat. You will get tired if you spend an hour trying multiple drivers/irons before you actually start the fitting process.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

mattfl posted:

Went to deweys again sat night with some friends to mess around. Good times were had then we had an impromptu long drive contest. Here's my winning drive :smuggo:

Just a slight fade but more or less straight shot. I need to learn to hit a drat draw though. I can do it most of the time with my 3 wood when I try, but my driver is another store.

Here's the weird thing, when I was in maui last year and was using the rental Titleist clubs at kapalua, I was hitting a draw every time with the driver in the bag. It was a stiff flex or maybe even regular flex shaft vrs the X flex I use on my covert. I'm guessing I was getting more flex causing the head to come around more resulting in the draw? Should I consider dropping down to a less stiff shaft? Help me here a draw here guys!

Fade is easier to control and you have plenty of distance. If these numbers are accurate you would be better served with a higher launch combined with a lower spinning golf shaft. I would recommend keeping the x-flex shaft. Maybe something with a higher kick point and heavier weight.

What shaft do you use now?

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

mattfl posted:

Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Silver 60 graphite X-Flex. It's what came on the driver.

If you like the Mitsubishi shafts, look at Diamana White. You could probably gain a few yards with better launch conditions.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
Tiger has a lot work ahead of him before the Masters. I don't think his pride will let him chip/pitch like that at Augusta.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
I agree, it would be tough to break 85. Greens are firmer, faster, and the rough is longer. Depending on the course a scratch golfer is going to shoot around 75-77 on their home course because your handicap is your 10 best of your last 20 scores/differentials.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
Finally ordered new new clubs today.

TaylorMade R15 Tp with a Graphite Design Tour Ad DI 70, anyone have any experience with this shaft? I have a Diamana 'ahina in my current driver.

Also picked up the Rsi Tp irons

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
We will see how it works it a couple weeks. Unfortunately, I spin the ball a fair amount. I have an extra shaft (F1 Motore 2.1) so I might keep the Diamana just in case

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
Playing tournament golf and with friends are two different things. It gets easier with experience.

Look at PGA's (Club Pros) player's ability test (PAT). All you have to do is shoot 15 over course rating for 36 holes (low 150's). The course is usually set up pretty easy with a course rating of around 73 and maybe 6600 yards. Yet, only 20% of the people pass it.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

Seymour Butts posted:

Speaking of PGA teaching pro's ability test, have any of you ever thought about becoming one? The past 6 months I've begun to think that it would be a dream job to be a teaching pro at a nice golf club. Hanging out on the range all day, giving lessons for $100/hr. Is this a viable career?

It takes awhile to get that level. Being a golf instructor is just as much learning how to communicate your ideas to the student as it is golf mechanics. A few things to consider: you will work a lot of weekends, be out in the sun A LOT, and most clubs will keep a portion of the lesson. It is best to start out with juniors (golf camps) or clinics because you get consistent income. Sitting down with a local respected PGA instructor and asking his/her advice is highly recommended.

This should help too.
http://pgajobfinder.pgalinks.com/helpwanted/empcenter/pgaandyou/pro.cfm?ctc=5730

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Can anyone recommend a good putter repair place? I have a Bettinardi SS15 that has a slight dent in the top line. It's close enough to center that it's distracting.

I'm sure that going directly through Bettinardi is probably my best bet, I'm just curious.

Bettinardi is probably best.

Black Oxide Services might be able to help too.
http://www.bosgolf.com/shop

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

Seymour Butts posted:

If you are like me and you secretly enjoy watching The Big Break then tomorrow is the first round of the Valspar Championship where last season's winner Jimmy Brandt earned exemption. I'm curious to see if he'll break 80 although I wouldn't bet on it.

He broke 80 and is beating Charley Hoffman and John Daly. But 76 puts you at T138 11 shots back.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
I saw the TaylorMade M1 in person last week. I wish they would make it in all black but they don't. Supposedly sounds like the old 510 (not 100% sure on model). One good thing: the new drivers still use the same hosel adapter. The new 3 wood looks really could. Supposedly, the sweet spot is a little lower on the face and bigger.

Like all new drivers: more forgiving and goes forever.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
Remember there are new ball flight laws with the introduction of Trackman and Flightscope.

http://www.golfwrx.com/107406/understanding-the-new-ball-flight-laws/

Basically: Understand that in order to move the ball right to left, you must have a path that is more “in to out” than where your club face points at impact. Another way to think of it is to have the face pointing left of your club’s path — this will allow the ball to move right to left

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

EnsGDT posted:

Fuckin un-winnable game, right guys :D
That's what brings us back each weekend

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
Great finish Mattfl

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

mattfl posted:

Tournament of champions at Kapalua is on tv on golf channel right now.

I can still remember as they move through the holes where my shots went when I played in 2014. Must go back soon!

I played there many years ago with Kona winds. #18 was everything I had to get home in 3 shots. Great course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

wisdomHNOX posted:

Hey golf thread, so this past summer my uncle gave me an old set of his clubs after I mentioned wanting to get into the game. They are a manufacturer I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, Warrior. I know literally nothing about them other than they seem to feel right (he is about my same height/build).

I am hoping to get a lesson or two once winter is over, but is there any general advice you guys could give me on where to start? Also what other equipment is absolutely necessary? Do I really need shoes starting out?

I wouldn't go out and spend hundreds of dollars right now. Take a few lessons, practice a bit, and see where the game takes you.

Practice from the hole backwards. Spend a lot of time chipping, pitching, and putting. Get decent at those and gradually work your way to longer clubs. You should be okay with regular shoes in the beginning. Remember to have fun in the beginning.