Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

They dared Rickie to eat a sleeve of balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Serious question, what would a scratch amateur shoot at a course in PGA tournament condition?

Considering there are PGA pros shooting rounds in the 80s at nearly every PGA event, I have to assume they would have a tough time breaking 90.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

the thread's mascot did not have a strong finish today

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Where's the Masters thread?? LYMAN

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Stop making fun of his hair you assholes :mad:

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

normally i would agree with the "don't get new clubs, get a lesson" mantra but a 20 handicapper playing blades isn't exactly ideal

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I'd be so much better at this game if I could hit driver with any kind of consistency whatsoever. I cannot stop coming over the top with the driver no matter what I do... might be time for a lesson

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Impressive finishing stretch by Rick

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

Can anyone recommend some good youtube videos for learning to hit fairway woods and hybrids? For a guy who totally sucks.

Background: I was never good at golf, a typical guy who shot like 120 and sucked. A month ago I played again for the first time in 2 years, shot a 108 (best score ever), and yesterday shot a 104. I am taking a 5 lesson series called Get Golf Ready. The first week was putting (the one thing I am not terrible at).

I am OK with irons 8 and up (including wedges) and OK most of the time with the 7 and 6. I played yesterday pretty much hitting only my 7 iron and longer. I got paired with a 78 year old yesterday and just hit off the short tees with him. I shot a 104 but the aerated greens cost me at least 3 putts.

I really do believe I can break 100 (from the real tees) before the summer is out, and when I do this will be me at the 19th hole

If you're struggling to break 100 I wouldn't even try to hit your fairway metal off the deck - just use them to tee off when appropriate. I'm a mediocre player (14 index) and I rarely hit my woods off the deck, it's the hardest "standard" shot in golf imo. Like Nerdrock said, for hybrids use your iron swing, meaning you hit down on the ball instead of trying to sweep it. And don't try to kill the ball, swing easy. That was a big mental hurdle for me starting out, I was always trying to kill the ball with my longer clubs which causes all sorts of problems.

Shorter clubs are easier to hit, this is the case for every golfer including tour pros, so it's no surprise that you are better with your mid-short irons. The longer the shaft on the club, the more magnified any swing faults or mistakes will be. So use that to your advantage.

I was a 100+ shooter like you only a few years ago, so I'll share some tips a buddy gave me that helped me start breaking 100 consistently:
  • Bogies are your friend. Remember that before every shot.
  • Off the tee: anywhere in the fairway is good. If you can't keep it on or near the fwy with your driver, put the drat thing away and tee off with the longest club you can hit consistently.
  • Approach shots: anywhere near the green (close enough to chip) is good.
  • Chipping: just get the ball on the green so you can putt. Don't get cute. Like if you short side yourself and maybe have to clear a bunker to get at the flag, just go for the safe play and get it on the putting surface no matter what.
  • Long putts: imagine a 3 foot circle around the hole and try to get it inside that circle.
  • Never try to follow a poor shot with a great one. Take your medicine. When you're in jail, get out of jail. Don't be afraid to punch out, hit it backwards, etc.

E: 85 for Tiger Woods today... career worst

ironlung fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 6, 2015

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I like how you claim to be "mediocre/bad" at putting and then in the same post, there's a card showing a round with 27 putts in which you only failed to get up and down once when you missed the green.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Mr. BT posted:

So my first time playing a real 18 hole course (rating 70.2/slope 125) I shot a 101.

I was playing bogey golf for a while until we got dizzy from cigars and I completely bombed a few holes including a totally reachable par 3.

In light of the above remark, is this a dreadful score? I've been taking lessons for about a month, and did get that hole-in-one, but I'm wondering if I should keep playing par 3/executive courses until I get better or the real thing?

If you really shot a 101 for your first round ever, that is very good.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Online lessons are relatively cheap and would be a lot more productive than watching a bunch of random YouTube videos.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

How does that work? I try to film my swing with my Macbook Pro in iMovie but it is too blurry to tell anything. Would a phone (Moto X 2014) work for a golf swing?
[note: I am assuming you film your swing and work with a guy online to make adjustments]

Correct. Get someone to film you or amazon has little monopod things you can stick in the ground to hold your phone.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Generally, if you have to ask then it doesn't really matter what ball you play. Although different balls do feel different on short game shots and putting, but again, if you have to ask then it probably won't matter yet. Buy whatever is cheap.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

So you hit your shag bag and then walk down range to pick up your balls while everyone else may or may not still be hitting?

That poo poo would never fly in the litigious 'Merica.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

mattfl posted:

I guess I was the only one hoping for Bubba to win/get in a playoff with Day? Remind me again why you guys don't like Bubba? Sure he's a headcase, but you gotta admit when he's on his game he's one of the most exciting guys to watch play.

Water on the club face, bro

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Would like some feedback on my position at the top of my swing... been working on a shorter backswing and earlier wrist set lately, it's working well with my irons from about 6-7i thru wedges but my longer clubs, especially driver, are not having as good of results. I've got a two way miss going, snap hook and/or push fade.

http://i.imgur.com/1smgq2R.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vVOqu2I.jpg

Seems like I don't have enough depth, in the first one the club face looks open club looks across the line.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

Neither of those look that bad to me, but it's hard to judge a swing solely by a couple images.

True, gonna edit a bunch of swings together and post

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

DJExile posted:

Ping has repaired my hybrid and it's on the way back wooooooo :yayclod:

Just curious, how long did that take?

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Professional golf is freaking loaded with talent these days. Good times.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Cargo shorts should be banned across America

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

DoctaFun posted:

Is it the amount of major championships that Sergio Garcia has won?

Kameh seems like a ladies man, it's probably closer to the number of balls Sergio put into the water on 17 during the final round of the 2013 Players

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Golfballsdirect.com is the poo poo, switched to it from LGB this year and have been very happy

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

EnsGDT posted:

Now I'm in one of those golf moods where I'm counting down the days to playing again, and making sure I remember how my swing felt when it was clicking today.

you're gonna shoot 90+ next time out, you know that right?

jkjk.. congrats

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

google image search JNCO jeans

we liked poo poo baggy back in those days

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

bruh

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Halo14 posted:

Getting Lamkin UTx grips for my new irons this time. Mid-size.

http://www.lamkingrips.com/shop/products/maximum-performance/ut-x/utx-golf-grips.html

Was using New Decade grips for ages so I thought I'd try something new.

I use those and love em, got a box of new ones sitting right next to me as we speak. Gonna re-grip my whole bag sans putter.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

EnsGDT posted:

If you guys don't follow 1 Step to Better Golf on YouTube, you should, if not just for the schadenfreude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn4elULzElA

i needed this

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

What's the best way to calculate handicap strokes in a two man best ball match?

Team 1: handicaps 3 and 10
Team 2: handicaps 12 and 14

Is it easiest to just give everyone strokes based on their handicap or would it make more sense to have the lowest guy play as a scratch and then calculate based off of that - so the 10 would get 7 strokes, 12 gets 9 and the 14 gets 11

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Been playing for 4 years (excluding winters) and just caved and booked my first lesson. Got it down to a 12 on my own but I'm done banging my head against the wall.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

BCRock posted:

You've already gotten yourself better at golf than most amateur golfers will ever be so you'll be able to tell pretty quickly if the guy you're taking lessons from is any good or not. Just ask lots of questions and if he can't explain why he's having you do a particular drill then just find someone else who can.

Yeah, the lesson was awesome. I had the right idea regarding what I was doing wrong but was not going about fixing it the right way. Video analysis of my swing by an actual pro was a huge eye opener. Some mishits obviously with the changes but the good shots were the best I have ever hit a golf ball. I'm an idiot for not doing this sooner but oh well, better late than never. Great too because I have video of the lesson and notes that I can refer back to.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

cheese posted:

Am I squeezing with my fingers too hard

Probably. In the first chapter of Hogan's book he recommends gripping the club with your right thumb and index finger completely off the shaft to get the correct feel. Too much pressure from those two fingers is not good.

If your grips are really old, new ones are a very good idea too. You can DIY for very cheap too.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

thebushcommander posted:

Hope you didn't have a range finder!

I always put my rangefinder in my carry on because I know TSA is gonna be opening the bag and rifling through my stuff.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

mattfl posted:

Another stop at Burlington this morning to see if they had any bigger pairs.

They did lol. $20 and they actually fit. Nike golf shoes run super small for me. These are size 12 and fit great. The footjoys I wear are 10.5 and fit the same way these do. So weird.

Next time you're in there get me a size 10.5!!!! I'll pay ya double.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a pair in 10.5 wide... different color way though.

Thanks but wide is a no-go, my feet are really narrow

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Played my first round with my new push cart yesterday... such a great way to play golf. Obviously not practical on some courses but my home course is very walkable and I have been carrying for years. Pushing is so much easier, I really noticed the extra energy on the last 3-4 holes.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Dimebag posted:

Just wondering has anyone played the Diablo HX Tour balls at all? They seem to be going quite cheaply and was looking to stock up on some balls for the next few months. I understand they are a few years old but $50 AU for 3 dozen seems like a good deal.

Currently playing chrome softs but wanted to maybe look at something a little cheaper given I'm losing about 2 balls a round either due to a huge power slice into the bush or losing track of a ball in the thick rough the course I play has.

Would the Diablos be decent or should I look at super softs which are the same price but for 2 dozen rather than 3?

The Diablo HX Tour is a fine ball but you're going from a top of the line premium ball with a urethane cover to a lower end ball with a non urethane cover so you will notice a difference on spin. Approach shots and chips/pitches won't check up as easily. Personally I wouldn't play a ball without a urethane cover. If you're concerned about price then look into buying recycled balls. Does Australia have a lostgolfballs.com/golfballsdirect.com equivalent?

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

The Grint is dope, been using it for over a year

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

torgeaux posted:

Colorado golf. 91 yesterday, but 20% humidity. Any shade, and it was just fine.

I'm in the mountains, subtract at least 10 off that temp. Best place on earth for golf this time of year. I have no clue how you guys can play in 90+ heat/70+ humidity while getting eaten alive by insects... you're better men than I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Lakewood is nowhere near 7000 feet. Maybe a couple hundred feet higher than Denver which, as everyone knows, is 5280.