Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

BCRock posted:

It's all about peer review and protecting the handicap system. Do you play 100% by the rules of golf when you play solo and post your score? I don't.

I mean... isn't golf supposed to be about the honor system regardless? It's not as easy to cheat in a foursome but the type of person who would cheat alone for handicap purposes would probably cheat while playing with other people too. I think it's extremely stupid that you can't count solo rounds anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

Golf sucks I hate this sport bring on the winter so I can regroup and maybe get some lessons.

Well if your pb is a 93 then you shouldn't be all that surprised or upset when you put up a score in the 100s, bad rounds happen to all of us!

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Played 9 after work today and shot even par on 9 holes for the first time in my life... that was a religious experience

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Keyser S0ze posted:

gently caress You Golf. :flip: :suicide:

I posted about shooting even par for 9 for the first time on this page (edit: last page), didn't have enough daylight to play 18. If I did, I'm confident that this is exactly what would have happened to me.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

DJ!

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

torgeaux posted:

Welcome to my home. My local course is at 7200 or so.

7900 here, it's fun but I feel like a total weenie when I play at normal altitude

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I'm in the market for new irons. I'm a very average proportioned individual and according to Ping's dot system (and like everything else in life, for that matter) I'm standard everything. With that in mind would it make sense to just go demo a bunch of clubs and buy the ones that I hit best? Or should I still get "fitted"?

What about buying used? I'm not opposed to going that route since there are such great deals to be had but all I ever hear is "GET FITTED!!!" and I'm not sure how that works with used clubs.

I don't have any major issues with my current off the rack irons except the shaft is too flexible since I have gotten better and my SS has increased quite a bit since I got them. They are just old... I got them new/unused but they were already a several years old model. At this point they are beat to hell and approaching 10 years from their original release date so I'd like to take advantage of some of the new technology, plus it's always fun to get a new toy. I play more than enough golf to justify it.

Thoughts?

ironlung fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 8, 2017

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Those have been mostly gobbled up by GolfWRX people buying 10 dozen at a time, as expected. Only Nike and Srixon were left when I tried to buy some yesterday.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Still says out of stock for me when I try to add anything but Nike or Srixon to my cart, WTF!

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

This LPGA snitching scandal is ridiculous. They need to release the person's name who called it in so they can be ridiculed.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

EnsGDT posted:

I made a diagram for this thread

If that circle is a clock I'm at about 2:57 but my pro doesn't get back to town for another month.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

e. also are all drivers these huge-headed monstrosities? So ugly

just wait til you hit one bby

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

You'll all be eating your words when Tiger wins the 2021 John Deere Classic

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Just getting a distance to things is not a big deal. The pros have yardage books that do the same thing, a laser makes it possible and much faster for amateurs. You still have to judge elevation gain/loss, wind, temperature, ground conditions, etc.

They make ones that account for elevation gain/loss but iirc those are illegal for tournament play.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Here comes The Summer of Sergio

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Tried left hand low putting during my after work 9 tonight and made everything I looked at.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

swearing on a golf course, now i've seen it all

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I played in a scramble yesterday that took nearly 7 hours. It was pretty fun at first because most of the tee box sponsors went completely over the top with food and booze on every hole but after a few hours I was completely over it. Waiting for 20 minutes on every tee gets really old.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Finally getting (relatively) hot here in the CO high country. 80+ degrees at 8,000 feet, might as well be playing on the moon.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

I spend far too much time on the internet reading about golf equipment and I have no idea what you're talking about.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=oncore+elixr

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Walked 18 in 3hrs 10min tonight the way god intended and shot my best score of the SUMMAHH

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Kameh posted:

I read this in Bill Burr's voice. Congrats.

Definitely wasn't expecting anyone to get that reference

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I watch a fair amount of the LPGA but the KLPGA is filled with models first and golfers second.

In that case I can think of a few instagram-famous lady golfers who should move to Korea.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

daslog posted:

Whoever said "Drive for Show, putt for Doe" wasn't hitting their tee shot into the woods 30% of the time. Putting means nothing if you can't hit off the tee.

That statement mostly applies to high level players because when you reach a certain level, everyone can hit it well and it becomes a putting contest.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

sarehu posted:

Tournament to tournament the winners will have better putting strokes gained stats

Glad we agree.

I'm talking about what separates pros from other pros, not what separates pros from the rest of us (which is literally every aspect of the game).

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

They said it was 341 total, does anyone know what the carry was?

E: I'm reading it was 310 carry. DJ said the wind shifted enough to hit the shot, I'm surprised other guys didn't take that line this week (or maybe I missed it?)

IIRC the color guy said he was the first person there all week.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

torgeaux posted:

My 6 iron, my driver, 3W, 5W, hybrid, putter and three wedges...all have stickers.

I have reported you to the authorities.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Kwilty posted:

I heard he out drove DJ. Not that he was out driving him. They were saying it was comparable though. Judging by the brief footage I've watched though his irons are looking mighty fine right now.

Correct, when DJ flushes one he is easily putting it past Tiger.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

BCRock posted:

Grip tape is grip tape, in my experience.

Just don't try the water activated tape that Lamkin sells... awful

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Why would we even care, you ask.

Still asking that even after I tried to read your post

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

mdemone posted:

His short game is ridiculous. If he's even passable off the tee he'll compete in majors this year.

Ignoring accuracy, his swing yesterday on the 14 tee was 129.2 MPH which is the highest recorded on tour so far this season.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

lol @ that 18th hole placement

seriously. ugh

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Just another reason to be ridiculously hyped for The Masters this year

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Played in our men's league season opening tourney yesterday, only my second round of 2018 and it was under tournament conditions so I didn't score great but I did win a $400 skin, so that was awesome.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Wish I was good enough to three putt my way to a 74

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Starting to really really hate scrambles. I have played in more work-related charity scrambles (4) than normal rounds (3) this year.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

torgeaux posted:

How usual has music on the course become?

Common but people usually ask first

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Reminds me of my round last Saturday. Teed off at 4pm, paid the 18 hole cart fee. Carts are supposed to be in at 8pm, official pace on the scorecard is something like 4:15 and based on past experience, we figured on a Saturday night we'd be able to cruise around and finish under 4hrs no problem. Dude working in the pro shop agreed.

Of course it took us 2:45 to finish the front nine due to us encountering every slow player stereotype imaginable. We never saw a marshal. As expected the back 9 opened up and as we were coming up 16 a little before 8pm, we finally see a course employee in a cart making a beeline at us. He came out specifically to bitch at us for still having the carts out. I told him that it took us almost 3 hours to play the front and maybe if they were as diligent about enforcing pace of play as they are enforcing the cart deadline, we would have been in on time. He drove away without saying anything, we finished our round at 8:15 and I threw the (very chill) kid working the cart barn $20 and a couple leftover beers.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Story time. Every Tuesday evening during the summer about a hundred people meet at a local brewery and then once good and lubed up they ride around town on cruiser bikes, drink beer, and be generally obnoxious. I have done it before, it's a good time. Anyway, at my home course there is this little park right by the 16 tee box with an open field, a basketball court, swing set, etc. Most of the time it's empty or very quiet. I went out solo after dinner tonight and played the back 9 and sure enough as I was walking up to the 16 tee, all these bike/brew revelers were at the park making a pitstop to party for a bit before moving on to their next destination. On my way from 15 green to 16 tee I walked past the park and exchanged pleasantries with a couple dudes but nobody really paid me much attention.

I pulled driver and stepped up on the tee box. As soon as I put my tee in the ground I immediately heard what sounded like every single person in the park going "SHHHHHH, SHHHHHHHH, SHHHHHHH" and it was at this point I realized that lots of people were going to watch me hit this tee shot. The shushing continued until I addressed the ball and then all these drunk people fell into what I assume was a good natured yet patronizing "respectful silence" probably waiting for me to snap hook one into the pond so they could point and laugh. I am not in the habit of playing golf with like a hundred spectators so I was feeling self-conscious and when I took the club back I could feel my adrenaline was up. Luckily I put a good swing on it, found the sweet spot, and ripped as long of a drive as I can hit, a piercing baby cut that easily flew the trees in the dogleg and faded back towards the fairway. And these mother fuckers erupted like it was hole 16 at the Waste Management instead of 16 at the local muni. I unconsciously engaged tour sauce protocol: held finish, club twirl, grabbed my tee before the ball landed, turned around and gave my "gallery" a tip of the cap and tried to walk off as if drives like that are my standard procedure but unfortunately I think I was laughing too hard to pull it off.

I heard them do the same thing to the twosome behind me too. Pretty hilarious.

ironlung fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Send some of that rain out west. Wildfires are not fun.