Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I bought a house on the golf course that hosts the Wyndham Championship, which is this week. I don't play golf, at all. AMA about living alongside a spectacle.

Bonus pic, when 1/3 of your view of the third green is blocked by a *rolex* ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
https://twitter.com/JustinRayGolf/status/1426280561266634762?s=20

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Are Stix clubs a reasonable starting point are they just millennial IG marketing garbo?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Ok so I moved to a house two years ago that is on a PGA tour course. We did not join the country club because its very much not our thing. However being around golf for a few years and seeing as its a big part of social activity here, I've finally decided to pick up the game. Some info:

1. I'm 43, 5'10, not overweight but not particularly strong. (Based on this I went with regular stiffness shafts)
2. I'm in this mostly for social reasons, both with my family (my FIL has gotten back into playing and my daughter has expressed interest) and with folks my age & neighbors.
3. My main concern is ruining others experiences by sucking too much.
4. I didn't want to sink much money into this in case it doesn't work out.

Given those goals and a few weeks of reading articles and youtube, I came up with the following setup based mostly on local PlayitAgain sports availability and what I could find on ebay. This is $650 including the ogio stand bag.

So please critique away, how'd I do? What are the biggest mistakes here? What do people expect I will be replacing first?

My first lesson is next Saturday.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

mattfl posted:

You can't drop this without telling us what course lol

Especially if you're in Florida! :)

Probably one of the least exciting courses? Not sure about general consensus on that, but given the position on the calendar it's usually one of the least interesting events?

Its Sedgefield, where the Wyndham open is held.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Mederlock posted:

This video condenses a lot of this guy's good points for beginner's, he's goofy as gently caress but the advice is legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R-NvelOz3E

Holy cow that is gold. Had I found that video earlier I would have just bought the adams set and a putter.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Ok so my first lesson is Saturday and I've not swung a golf club in 25 years aside from a putter. I've been working on my putts, but have held off on actually using any of my newly acquired gear before my first lesson. Am I overthinking this in waiting? I'm not wanting to develop bad habits etc.

Also, I have the following goals:

1. Find my longest club I can also reliably hit the fairway with.
2. Find the club I most reliably hit to 150yards & work on control/accuracy
3. Learn basic technique for pitching wedge use
4. The same for sand wedge / bunkers

I'm putting them in that order as that's the order I want help from an instructor. I know I need to put time in on short game but maybe I'm deluded to think I'll need less instruction there?

I have no idea how many lessons it would take me to achieve this. Again, not expecting to be good, just serviceable.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Folks, I think they actually left me a view this year....

Since we've lived here, the Wyndham folks have put that scoreboard directly blocking views of the green from our house.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

RCarr posted:

I assume you can’t see poo poo anyway when there’s 5+ rows of people circling the green

I have never been to any other PGA events, but the crowds just aren't very big at this event. Early august in NC is brutal. That fence will have maybe 3-4 people at it during a busy time, by that camera tower there will be more people (and me) because its a better and closer view.

Some of the other holes draw crowds and even have bleachers, but this is a simple par 3 so its usually a small number of spectators and mostly neighborhood locals hanging out.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

RCarr posted:

Oh, then that’s pretty sweet. Put a lawn chair and a cooler full of beers on your roof.

We've got a nice crest in the front yard with a spot that is shady most of the day, gonna move our garden bench over there and chill with a pair of binoculars when I'm not standing over by the camera tower.

In other news, had my first lesson today. Came with absolutely nothing swing wise, got a lot of things to practice, but wow this game is not easy. Out of a whole large bucket of balls I think I hit one decent shot.

Practice greens were empty afterwords and shady in a corner, so at least I can work on my putting (which is way way better than anything else right now)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

The Rabbi T. White posted:

When you first start receiving lessons, everything will feel awkward and weird and won't work until you actually practise it. Stick with what your pro is telling you to do and it will improve with time.
Source: I did most of my teaching card as a young man before I decided I didn't have the patience to work with people.

Boy doesn't it, its all weird as hell, my instructor (who was on the LPGA tour for many years) said "golf is a very difficult game, and it asks the body to move in very unnatural ways. First lesson gave me things to practice, which I did, but this video really helped it all click for me. Can't wait to get to the range tomorrow and try again.

Hopefully I didn't undermine my instructor, and in general I've stayed away from what GolfSidekick calls "youtube mechanics", but that video really spelled out so many things I was doing wrong right off the bat.

Bonus content: seating is in position

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So its been about two weeks since my first lesson, and my first time ever meaningfully picking up a club. I've been to the range about seven or eight times, and today was the first day where stuff really started to click. And when I say that I mean about 50% of my shots were going reasonably straight and weren't topped etc. Was able to repeatedly (within that 50% of course) hit my (short) 5w 175, my 6i 150, and my 8i 125. I both know how bad these numbers are and am thrilled at where I'm at compared to a week ago. This game truly lowers one's expectations with a quickness.

Figure in a week or so I'll be comfortable enough to actually play 9 holes.

Fwiw I fell somewhat down the gear hole due to needing (legitimately needing, I wear an xxl mizuno glove) oversized grips, pricing them out, and then finding a full set (4-pw, +aw, +sw) of Sub70 799's with oversized Winn Dritac 2.0's on ebay for less than $300 (plus $30 shipping). Those clubs are $900 new, and I'm just really happy with them.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 16, 2023

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Today was the first day where I was only soaked in sweat, rather than soaked in sweat and scorched by the sun.

I'm in North Carolina so our season extends quite a bit longer, only Dec-Feb are "off" and even then the courses aren't closed, so I've got some time, but yeah, going and walking 9 is something I plan to do real soon.

Fwiw, my first range hit when I pick up a different club is my best or second best I will have with that club until I change clubs again, so I'm either getting really lazy with routine after the first hit, overthinking it, or some combo of the two. It does bode well for actually playing as I won't be just pounding balls down the range in that context.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Can someone please explain "high loft 3 woods" to me? Is there any reason other than ego that these are not just called 4 woods?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So I played my first 9 yesterday with my father in law, with the expected results (62). My highest club was a six iron because everything else I was swinging at the range was garbo. Got paired with a solo, and we explained it was my first game, he cordially said he was going to play ahead after hole #2, which hey, no prob. After 2 I also offered to let the single behind us play through, but he declined, and said it was actually helping him slow down his play and make better decisions. At this point I felt a lot less pressure and started playing a little better at least, including that very hole, where I made an 81 yard pitching wedge shot, from behind trees in the rough, onto the green and *into the goddamn hole*. I was looking all around the fringes of the green until my father in law, who got to the hole after me but had just finished the hole while I was searching asked "Hey are you playing a Wilson ball? It's in the hole" because that's the last place I would have ever looked.

So yeah, golf, a land of contrasts. https://youtube.com/shorts/auQ3iIj75QU?feature=share

Also, We actually caught up with our solo that had split off, because he kept driving balls into the trees and having to search for them. We played it out with him and it ended up being a pretty nice experience. That said, I'm going to make sure my next several games are in the late afternoon on weekdays.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 21, 2023

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The autoslice has been replaced by an autohook.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Just a heads up in case anyone is a beginner or looking for fairway woods on a budget. There's a few folks selling a ton of Adams Tight Lies fairway woods and hybrids from 2022 on ebay (this was the taylor made dtc prequel to what the 2023 complete sets were.). Some are new, some are lightly used without headcovers. I bought a set of the lightly used 3 & 5 wood with a stiff shaft for under $75 shipped. The 5 wood came still with the cellophane on. I'm pretty positive these are the customer returns and overstock from that 2022 relaunch.

Anyhow I took them to the range today and man, for me at my stage of the game, they absolutely gently caress. The 5w was going 190-200 and the 3w was going 210-220, and I was miraculously able to keep them straight most of the time. I played 18 yesterday where I used a 6i as my longest club, can't wait to play with something I can meaningfully tee off with.

I was worried I had hosed up buying stiff, but I've never been able to hit with my driver, mostly due to lack of skill but also because I always felt it just whipped all over the place. Turns out they work just fine and it has me questioning what my swing speed actually is.

Also if folks haven't tried the air compressor method of regripping I'd highly recommend it, it's mind bogglingly easy, I doubt I will ever use double sided solvent activated tape after doing it this way.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 26, 2023

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Kirios posted:

I'm intrigued who did you buy them from specifically? I'm in the market for a new 3W and 5W.

Quickshipgolf is the main seller with them, ksouth9 is another. Who knows if they will work out for you, but at least it isn't expensive to give them a shot. I don't think I know enough to really have opinions on shafts, but I really like how these felt. I don't know if that's just stiffness, the Synergy shaft, or both.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
And today I was balooning both fairway woods and couldn't get them past 175. This game is maddening. (from research it looks like I was releasing all my clubs early today)

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 27, 2023

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Fwiw PXG is currently running a special on fittings, I'm paying $37.50 to get two hours of a professional's time and a bunch of data. Even if they tell me I'm too inconsistent to even be fit (they never say this) I'll get more data for barely more than renting a booth at golf galaxy.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Huskers posted:

Understand the JT pick, but not sure I agree with it. Hope he can find it for the week. I think Keegan, Young or even Glover would have made more sense.

I would have absolutely loved a Glover pick.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Welp, I did it. PXG fitter said he couldn't fit me to a driver or to fairway woods due to my inconsistent swing (lack of skill). Did find an iron fit that performed better than my current, but I didn't buy anything today. Went to learn and try things. Found out that even with a fitter trying a bunch of different things, I can't seem to hit a hybrid.

Anyhow driver ss is 93 and 7i is 82mph. Fitter said I should be in stiff and 95g steel shafts (currently in "regular" project x 5.5 graphites). Not sure if I'll buy new irons this year, but clearly lessons are where the budget should go.

Not bad for $37 and two hours (pxg is running a fitting special)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
They did fit me to gen5 xp, couldn't get ahold of any driving irons, they only have left hand gen5 in stock on the website, and they still have gen4 in stock right handed, but neither were at the Charlotte location.

The thing I was most surprised by was how much better I hit 95g steel shafts. They gave me the same iron with a stiff graphite shaft and my numbers (and control) went down, same with heavier steel shafts. Likely due to weight primarily

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 2, 2023

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

This clip is the most evergreen golf thing. My first game I holed out from 81 yards away in a rough, between trees. Absolute fluke I will never be able to recreate.

Unrelated: I've become a golf hipster as my (used, 2019) OnOff forged Kuro irons showed up today. Of course I'm now on a flight for a business trip for a week so I can't try them out.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Kirios posted:

Nah I'm on Arccos but I don't think any of y'all use it. :(

I got a shot scope due to no subscription fees

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
My only issue with shot scope is putt tracking. If you have the watch you don't have to remember to do anything (aside from pin collect on your last shot, which I always forget).

My #1 use case is getting hazard and green distances quickly (i have a slight shake that makes rangefinders difficult to use). The tracking is also very useful but at my current skill / learning / consistency level, Incan only really use the data from say the previous two rounds.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

RCarr posted:

Lol I can’t even play a single round for under $45 (and that’s walking)

Jealous

Yikes, I'm assuming you live in a high COL metro?

I don't think I would have picked up this sport if it was that pricey, munis and cheaper private courses here I can walk for 18-23 and cart for 27-40

How much does a large bucket of balls cost at the range for you? Is that equivalent? (Here its $10 for a large bucket, cheaper with purchase of a multi bucket card, and one place does $15 unlimited)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Oodles posted:

And a 50 bucket of balls is £5, and all bays have trackman / toptracer

When you say bay, does it have an awning? This is what kills me here in NC, I cant find a range that isn't in the blazing sun, other than topgolf. Also, none of the ranges here have launch monitors (other than again, topgolf)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

BonoMan posted:

For fun I checked in with one of the nicer country clubs here in Cary, NC to see what their (JUST GOLF) package was.

$600 month with a $19,000 initiation fee.

I live in Sedgefield (where the wyndham is played) and it is 15k initiation 700 a month. You do get a pool etc for the kids, but yeah too much for my blood.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I'm certainly no expert but based on everything I've read, while irons have gotten better over the last decade, it is mostly in the areas of distance and forgiveness. If your distances are already good, and you don't need extra forgiveness, new irons may not do all that much for you.

One quote that stuck with me from some youtube video was, "people will tell me they hit their 7 iron two hundred yards, and first - I don't care, and second - thats actually not useful."

If you are using like, game improvement irons from 20 years ago you'll likely get the most significant gains from upgrading to a modern set of irons. But when comparing everyone has to remember that modern iron lofts are cooked.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 28, 2023

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So I bought some ONOFF Kuros from golfpartnerusa when they were running their bigger clearance sale at the start of september, 4-pw, with AMT whites in s200 (jdm shaft not available in the states, we get s300). These are the low spin low loft shafts out of the lineup.

I've got my skytrak set up now, but not my impact screens, so I'm limited to sci-core or almost golf balls which do have some known limitations, however, these AMT Whites are deffo living up to their billing as low spin and low launch. I've noticed my previous irons (Sub 70 799 super game improvement irons) are also launching lower and traveling shorter than expected based on my course numbers from shotscope. Their spin isn't always lower than expected, but it is inconsistent.

I'm a noob, I'm trying to work on my swing. Is this a ghost I'm chasing? What should I be doing to increase spin and height? I've never had a problem with height on a course or range provided I make decent contact (a thing I'm working on obv).

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Shrapnig posted:

Considering you just started playing, you probably shouldn’t be anywhere near a set of ONOFF Kuros since they appear to be forged blades which are hard for everyone to hit.

If you want height out of the box look for some game improvement irons. Mizuno’s JPX series is great, but so are most brands GI clubs to be fair.

The other option is always, always spend that new club money on lessons instead

Kuros are hollow body player's distance irons, starting in 2019 which is the year model I purchased. I know these are above my ability, one reason I bought them is I wanted something to use on the simulator that would really tell me when/where I hosed up, whereas my 799's mask everything that isn't an egregious error.

Lessons are on my list but work travel just started back up for me and it's making my schedule unpredictable, noted though.

Suprfli6 posted:

Those are hollow body forged irons, not true blades, so they should have a bit more forgiveness and speed.

Typically you get more spin and more height by increasing speed. I wouldn't try to manipulate your swing and change your mechanics too much, just focus on consistency and the speed will come.

Thanks for this, it has been a battle in my own head to try to get "don't try to swing hard" to stick. The simulator being "unlimited use" unlike a range, and always available, will hopefully let me relax more and focus on consistency and technique.

I've noticed if I fall back into "casting" my spin will go up but distance down (only a bit) as opposed to maintaining shaft lean for compression. My 6i club speed tends to max at 80mph and is more frequently in the low 70's, so it may be that I just don't have the speed yet to compress the ball properly?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

xsf421 posted:

80mph 6 iron is on the slower side. What kind of yardage are you getting/expecting from that?

Ideally I'd like to be getting 160 carry and decent dispersion from a 6i +/- a club. I've been getting 165 total according to shotscope, and 145 carry / 160 total on the skytrak with sci-core foam balls.

My goal is to be a decent social golfer who can tee from the 6000-6500 tees and not spend a ton of time hunting for balls. Its going to take me time to get there I know. Im 43 and while I'm not visibly out of shape I'm not someone who normally works out (although I may start). My driver swing speed is around 95.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 1, 2023

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Urethane posted:

I'm not a good golfer by any stretch but rather than spin and height I think you want to focus on impact location on the face, and face angle at impact. Once I started doing drills to improve those specifically I got noticeably better

This is totally fair and good advice. My focus on backspin is more that it is a metric I have access to, as opposed to say strike location and face to path angle. I bought a used Skytrak, as the Skytrak+ was too much $ and the doppler units (which cost comparable money once you have that kind of data) don't fit my space.

Oodles posted:

Edit: also, what effect does different lies have on the ball flight? I.e above / below feet etc?

Assuming a right handed player, a ball above feet will draw and a ball below feet will push. If it helps think of the effect being perpendicular to the ground, if it's flat then there is no effect, if it is sloped the ball will naturally go the direction of a perpendicular line to the slope.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Rogue Elephant posted:

It says they have a specially built arena so I would guess they have to do the simulator for tee shots, but I bet they can do some sort of hybrid play where it's truly live action from like... 150 yards in

Every green being the same seems... weird. Unless they are going all out with some sort of dynamic synthetic green where they can at least change the slope if not the overall shape.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

BonoMan posted:

I mean if it's dumb-fun-all-star-game style poo poo that's a bit wacky and over the top. I'm down.

If it's anything remotely related to just "real golf but simulated" then gtfo

This, I want to see 8 club sunday bag matches, I want to see pros playing off handed. But most of all this thing is going to succeed or fail almost entirely on these guys having a personality or not. I could easily see it being worse than say a TXG youtube video if they are all boring.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Suprfli6 posted:

I definitely have a hard time making my normal swing when I'm inside on a sim though. Has anyone else encountered that and fixed it? The biggest thing is my angle of attack is showing up as ~0 with every club and I know I usually hit a few degrees down when I'm playing real golf. I was trying to get good data for what my carry yardages are with the new irons and I can't really trust what I was seeing because the ball speed, launch, and spin are all probably different than when I play on the course. I'm assuming the trackman was calibrated correctly and it's just me being afraid of hitting down on the mat or something.

I'm putting together an indoor sim, and while I'm currently injured and can't swing (stretch beforehand folks!) I did notice how the likelihood of hurting my wrists on the mat did make me change my swing. I think the only way to overcome this is to have a mat that won't hurt your wrists, either with a lot of padding, a striking insert that deflects more, or the "tall grass" style insert that your club can sweep through without impact. None of them are a perfect simulation of dirt, but a mat with little or no padding can definitely hurt you, and your brain is really good at figuring out how to avoid pain.

Oodles posted:

I turned to the right and sneezed, now have neck pain. That’s the season over for me.

I thought "people keep telling me I'm only using my arms and shoulders, what would happen if I actually turned my upper body?" Without actually stretching my upper body, and same.

I signed up for a golf class that was over last week and this week, i was able to putt and chip, and do swing motions at a slow speed and without impacting the ball, thats all. This is the last class for the year. 😞

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So I finally went to the doc about the muscle injury in my chest that I acquired two weeks ago, she banned me from swinging any golf that isn't a putter, in any way (not even indoor practice swings) for four weeks. Guess I'm gonna work on my short-est game.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Oodles posted:

Don’t worry about how you look, worry about the results.

Buddy, have you met Golf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
That legit sounds amazing.